"Jellystone!" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Series!

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 4.0%

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Goldstar!

All right-y!
All Jellystone did was transform those characters into gimmicky DeviantArt OC's "Original Character, Do Not Steal". It would not hurt to keep the characters intact rather than reimagining them like that.

What makes that a major problem is that it has a poor grasp of the classic source material of Hanna-Barbera.

It's perfectly fine that Jellystone has its fans, its just I do not like the Rule 63.
Eh, if you don't like the show, just don't watch it. Problem solved.

The only thing that I didn't particularly like about Jellystone was how the show handled The Banana Splits. Fleegle didn't his signature lisp. Drooper didn't have his southern drawl, and why were Splits shown being criminals? They're supposed to be loved! It's not like there weren't villainous characters already that could have been used such as Dick Dastardly and Muttley, the Dalton Brothers or even the Anthill Mob.

powerjake

Banned
It's possible that Jellystone! just isn't for you, and that's fine. Everybody's not going to like everything, but in the long run, the gender thing is really a nothing burger and I don't get why you're acting like this is some sort of moral issue when it really isn't. If the show's not to your liking, just don't watch it, but huffing and puffing like this over such a minor change is just ridiculous. We're not talking about putting blue jeans on Michelangelo's statue of David, we're talking about putting hair, eyelashes and earrings on Squiddly freaking Diddly. Stop acting like some heinous crime has been committed and let the kids have their funny cartoon show.

Just saying only the original creators do it right, glad how Dragon Ball Super was not made in the United States because half of the Z-FIghters would of been gender swapped.

Wait?, so you want Looney Tunes show to be like Jellystone?.

It's possible for Cartoon Network to air Jellystone if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
The only thing that I didn't particularly like about Jellystone was how the show handled The Banana Splits. Fleegle didn't his signature lisp. Drooper didn't have his southern drawl, and why were Splits shown being criminals? They're supposed to be loved! It's not like there weren't villainous characters already that could have been used such as Dick Dastardly and Muttley, the Dalton Brothers or even the Anthill Mob.

I'm not a Splits fan particularly (although I have fondish memories of watching reruns when I was 6 or 7), but I definitely have way more of an issue with wholesome\nice characters being turned into sinister\evil characters than I do genderfliping (which i'm largely indifferent about, at least here). So, no, I never watched their horror film.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
I'm not a Splits fan particularly (although I have fondish memories of watching reruns when I was 6 or 7), but I definitely have way more of an issue with wholesome\nice characters being turned into sinister\evil characters than I do genderfliping (which i'm largely indifferent about, at least here). So, no, I never watched their horror film.
I haven't seen the horror movie either; never wanted to. I used to watch The Banana Splits on TV as a kid (in syndicated reruns. I'm old, but I'm not that old!). It just struck me as odd since Hanna-Barbera already has villainous characters who could have been used for the El Kabong episode.

Also, I love the episodes that focus on Top Cat and his gang (Tom Lennon from The State voicing T.C. is great), especially "Cats Do Dance", the episode that features the central cast of Heyy, It's the King!. I'm just blown away that someone else remembers that show.

Jellystone! has my favorite take on Cindy Bear, who's on track to becoming one of my favorite characters on the show. Grace Helbig is doing good in that role.

powerjake

Banned
Jellystone is most likely one of those cartoons that will end up either on Cartoon Network or Boomerang channels in the future.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
Jellystone is most likely one of those cartoons that will end up either on Cartoon Network or Boomerang channels in the future.
I'm thinking that it'll be the former more than the latter. I could see Cartoon Network airing Jellystone! at some point, but Boomerang (the channel) is mostly an afterthought for Warner Brothers. Nowadays, Boom only airs the shows that CN doesn't want anymore, and the Boomerang streaming service will likely just end up becoming a button on HBO Max.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Why were Splits shown being criminals? They're supposed to be loved! It's not like there weren't villainous characters already that could have been used such as Dick Dastardly and Muttley, the Dalton Brothers or even the Anthill Mob.
My guess has to do with how the Banana Splits can be considered a "gang" (especially considering the recurring sketches involving their rivalry with the Sour Grapes Bunch), and thus the show writing them like a small time gang of crooks.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Does it make for good writing for forced gender swapping of classic existing Hanna-Barbera male characters?.

It doesn't.
You know for someone always demanding good writing, I would suggest you put a lot more thought into your posts instead of just spamming the exact same thing over and over again.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Thread unlocked. Please refer to the note made in the OP

We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

zoombie

So as I said in the News and Discussion thread, what do you think of Secret Squirrel appearing in season 2, I would love to see it.

TsWade2

I see bits and parts of it on youtube, and it was okay. Not the one I grew up with, but it's okay. I do like the Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy's Fruit Salad song, it's so cute. And I almost thought they're singing The WIggles song. LOL!

Jonwo

Secret Squirrel along with Hong Kong Phooey would be great additions to Jellystone but would like to see more human characters in season 2.

Last edited:

zoombie

Secret Squirrel along with Hong Kong Phooey would be great additions to Jellystone but would like to see more human characters in season 2.

Knowing Secret Squirrel being a master of disguise, Secret Squirrel might already be in the series?

Goldstar!

All right-y!
Here is another season 2 character idea. Older Ogee. How much older we can debate, teenager, full grown adult. It be fun to see her and Magilla reunite.
I'm not sure how that idea would work when...

a) Jellystone! is set in an alternate universe and is not a sequel to anything and,

b) Magilla's not a pet or even living in a pet store on this show.

On a semi-related note, both Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels are characters on Jellystone!, so there should be at least one scene where they all interact. It doesn't even have to be an entire story. Just a single exchange of dialogue as a reference to where Cavey got his start.

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Regarding a possible older Ogee appearance: it need not be anything complicated. It could be something as simple as Ogee attempting to buy something from Magilla's store, he informs her that her credit card has expired, she says "Oh, gee!" and leaves. End scene.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts