"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflection01

Yeah I 100% believe this was around the time Robert Pattinson was talking about IE around Guardians of the Galaxy. When Stewart and Pattinson were still big names just from they're Twilight work and haven't yet really carved out a niche outside of it. Because there's no way NOW anyone at the head of Marvel would have that issue when Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder are pushing for LBGQT! characters and would have a problem with a bisexual actor. Again that's the kind of toxic hate that really makes you wonder how Perlmutter had his job for as long as he did if he could actually get away with saying that to an actor. Just makes me so happy how his racist and sexist ideals have been proven so pathetic with how profitable non white male starring Marvel movies can do.

Well said. The two top grossing solo films were Black Panther and Captain Marvel. That should shut a lot of people up. Hollywood has left a lot of money on the table with sexist and racist myths that only white men protagonists can be box office draws.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Yeah I 100% believe this was around the time Robert Pattinson was talking about IE around Guardians of the Galaxy. When Stewart and Pattinson were still big names just from they're Twilight work and haven't yet really carved out a niche outside of it. Because there's no way NOW anyone at the head of Marvel would have that issue when Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder are pushing for LBGQT! characters and would have a problem with a bisexual actor. Again that's the kind of toxic hate that really makes you wonder how Perlmutter had his job for as long as he did if he could actually get away with saying that to an actor. Just makes me so happy how his racist and sexist ideals have been proven so pathetic with how profitable non white male starring Marvel movies can do.

There's no evidence Ike Perlmutter or anyone at Marvel said that to an actor, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
There's no evidence Ike Perlmutter or anyone at Marvel said that to an actor, unless you have evidence to the contrary?

I don't and Stewart did clarify that was just something she was just generally told not by anyone at Marvel but just in general a few years back, which thankfully is no longer a thing. Though I don't think she needs to play a female lesbian take on Captain America (which is something Anthony Mackie joke/supported when they were interviewed during the press tour or Serberg together) I am glad we now live in a world where that sort of line of thinking isn't around anymore and would be more then accepted into a Marvel project. Honestly I was just spitballing that since Ike Perlmutter was brought up and as Ike Perlmutter is such a scummy stupid human being who has done so much to ruin a lot of the MCU's early reputation, I would likely try and find a way to try to connect him to every bad decision the MCU made until he left in 2015 whether or not he had anything to actually do with it. Since with all the stuff we know he's said and done he deserves that sour reputation and to be reminded of how inaccurate and untrue his line of thinking for awhile wound up being.

Also the Russos revealed that they may be lured back into working in the MCU if they could play with some of the X-Men characters or Fantastic Four, specifically Ben Grimm as they are huge The Thing fans.

Frontier

Staff member
Also the Russos revealed that they may be lured back into working in the MCU if they could play with some of the X-Men characters or Fantastic Four, specifically Ben Grimm as they are huge The Thing fans.

I wasn't really crazy about their take on The Hulk but maybe The Thing would better fit their sensibilities.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I don't and Stewart did clarify that was just something she was just generally told not by anyone at Marvel but just in general a few years back, which thankfully is no longer a thing. Though I don't think she needs to play a female lesbian take on Captain America (which is something Anthony Mackie joke/supported when they were interviewed during the press tour or Serberg together) I am glad we now live in a world where that sort of line of thinking isn't around anymore and would be more then accepted into a Marvel project. Honestly I was just spitballing that since Ike Perlmutter was brought up and as Ike Perlmutter is such a scummy stupid human being who has done so much to ruin a lot of the MCU's early reputation, I would likely try and find a way to try to connect him to every bad decision the MCU made until he left in 2015 whether or not he had anything to actually do with it. Since with all the stuff we know he's said and done he deserves that sour reputation and to be reminded of how inaccurate and untrue his line of thinking for awhile wound up being.

The problem with her statement is that it was vague and because clickbait writers ran with it, it can basically be attributed to anyone.

Neo Ultra Mike

Well it could be possible that Marvel Studios now that they've got the rights to all of these other characters back want to redouble their efforts on getting right characters who have been bungled up in the past and man is Ghost Rider someone who has not been given full justice whatsoever. And even if the Hulu series is good that will still be with the Robbie Reyes take on the character not the original Johnny Blaze who yeah still has the the stink of Nic Cage on him. I admit years upon years back I had this idea of one of the Marvel movies ending actually with the Nic Cage Johnny Blaze being either taken out or used by Thanos as Ghost Rider knew where one of the Infinity Stones is but htat was just one of those really weird off fan ideas that wouldn't work. However trying to rebrand the idea in the actual universe to fully get the character right would especially since a proper Ghost Rider movie would have a unique feel from most other Marvel films out there and Ghost Rider is one of those heroes who having a cinematic budget for would really be necessary to get as right as possible. Of course even if it does happen expect it at earliest... 2023/2024.

the greenman

Well it could be possible that Marvel Studios now that they've got the rights to all of these other characters back want to redouble their efforts on getting right characters who have been bungled up in the past and man is Ghost Rider someone who has not been given full justice whatsoever. And even if the Hulu series is good that will still be with the Robbie Reyes take on the character not the original Johnny Blaze who yeah still has the the stink of Nic Cage on him. I admit years upon years back I had this idea of one of the Marvel movies ending actually with the Nic Cage Johnny Blaze being either taken out or used by Thanos as Ghost Rider knew where one of the Infinity Stones is but htat was just one of those really weird off fan ideas that wouldn't work. However trying to rebrand the idea in the actual universe to fully get the character right would especially since a proper Ghost Rider movie would have a unique feel from most other Marvel films out there and Ghost Rider is one of those heroes who having a cinematic budget for would really be necessary to get as right as possible. Of course even if it does happen expect it at earliest... 2023/2024.
I was a Ghost Rider fan in the 90's. I loved when Danny Ketch was an older dude with his hair tied in a ponytail helping out Johnny Blaze with a cigarette & a shotgun. Reminded me of the film Phantasm 2 when Reggie & Mike go on the road hunting the Tall Man.

Once again, seems the MCU is taking a cue from the plans of Avengers: EMH. They planned for a supernatural 3rd season. I wouldn't be surprised if these plans are true as both Alan Fine & Chris Yost worked on that series.

Btw, Method Man IS Johnny Blaze

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
(Please please refrain from another discussion about the ongoing debate of are the TV shows canon) I always thought it be pretty cool if they used the Johnny Blaze super-cameo in AOS as a jumping off point -- without his powers, mentors another Rider since there are actually multiple Spirits of Vengeance, if I remember right, not just the first one Zarathos.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Iger's got some interesting tidbits in his book
*Marvel Entertainment tried to put up roadblocks to prevent Black Panther and Captain Marvel from being made because for the former, "an unnamed Marvel executive in New York said that they were reluctant to greenlight it because characters led by Black actors underperformed in the international market." Iger knew that line of thinking was outdated and stepped in to order them to be greenlit.
*Feige was so exasperated with Perlmutter and the Marvel creative committee, that during the build up to Civil War, he considered quitting and then Iger promoted him and split Marvel Studios from Marvel Entertainment.

Frontier

Staff member
*Marvel Entertainment tried to put up roadblocks to prevent Black Panther and Captain Marvel from being made because for the former, "an unnamed Marvel executive in New York said that they were reluctant to greenlight it because characters led by Black actors underperformed in the international market." Iger knew that line of thinking was outdated and stepped in to order them to be greenlit.
*Feige was so exasperated with Perlmutter and the Marvel creative committee, that during the build up to Civil War, he considered quitting and then Iger promoted him and split Marvel Studios from Marvel Entertainment.
Well...good on you Bob Iger ;).

Neo Ultra Mike

Since Bob's still working for Disney he probably doesn't want to totally rat out Perlmutter and his BS even though he is pointing out where the problem area was but... yeah Perlmutter was/is a racist jerk stuck in incredibly old fashioned narrow business practices he probably did believe "black people/women leads won't sell movie tickets" which is why he gave the team a hard time. So I'm guessing Iger's the one who convinced him to go forward with those two by pointing out "do this and we'll do Inhumans" which again was Perlmutter's passion project. Originally I thought it was just the not so stellar box office or reviews of Age of Ultron that got Perlmutter shifted but if it was getting bad working on civil war to the point of Feige almost quitting that also explains a lot as I imagine Civil War was a very different beast (even without Robert Downy Jr. being more on board for being in the film more then what was originally planned) when Perlmutter was still calling some of the shots on the film and it being retooled is a big reason why it's many people's MCU film, me included.

Again I do have to wonder if Perlmutter realized how much he screwed up with that terrible Inhumans IMAX flop doing so sour and Black Panther and Captain Marvel being billion+ hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts