"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

aegisrawks

Especially considering this isn’t technically a kids channel. But it is made to be appropriate for a family audience, including kids. Plus, Checkered Past is on ADULT Swim and half of the ads there are for Nickelodeon.

How long will it take for them to air a cereal commercial? My dad was watching Big Brother and they aired a Lucky Charms ad during one of the breaks, of all things.
You wont believe this, but that actually calms me down. Its not that they are trying to make it a kids net but rather adults also like Cereal (And at this point, cereals arent marketed at kids anymore) and maybe the play doh ad was for grandparents to buy it for their lil wuns.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
I was on side with two brothers' doubt about viability of 24/7 nostalgia channels after years of disappointed rating with Boomerang, Discovery Family, Toon Disney/Jetix, Disney XD and Nicktoons, however Tacomaster believe that those channels are doing fine and believe that MeTV Toons is going to be successfu
Yes, it is true. I was convinced that a 24/7 TV channel that showed nothing new wouldn't last longer than a year or 2. This hypothesis was based on the fact that retro programming blocks such as Votrexx and The 90s Are All That fizzled out after their initial 2 years of airing. Mind you, those were program blocks, not channels, and both were targeted to kids specifically.

Of course, it's too soon to tell if MeTV Toons will stand the test of time, but it seems to be doing good so far. Weigel is smart to keep rotating and adding a variety of cartoons to the channel in order to keep the lineup from going stale. We'll just have to wait and see what MeTV Toons will look like in another 2 years. Who knows? Maybe by then, the channel will be broadcast on an outlet where I can see it.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
My concern wasn't even about content and it being a cartoon channel in the direct sense. I was more concerned that there would be a hard place to have a such a channel because of the marketplace and bandwidth. Like Nexstar, Sinclair, and Scripps won't be picking up any of the Weigel channels, unless they get (cough* money) Weigel got around a lot by owning more stations and some good relationships
with groups like CBS and Gray, and smaller groups. The content could have made it harder to sell to stations, but hey Twist which aired something Tegna thought would be popular failed, then no one really knows what would work OTA or not. That and Qubo didn't fail, Scripps just didn't want the channel they really wanted the space it was on.

How long will it take for them to air a cereal commercial? My dad was watching Big Brother and they aired a Lucky Charms ad during one of the breaks, of all things.
I've seen Frosted Flakes during the Olympics.

This hypothesis was based on the fact that retro programming blocks such as Votrexx and The 90s Are All That fizzled out after their initial 2 years of airing. Mind you, those were program blocks, not channels, and both were targeted to kids specifically.
Well the 90's Nick block wasn't targeted towards kids , it aired at Midnight eastern, with earliest being 10pm ET, but Teennick stuck with a retro block for 10 years , almost reached 11 years. I feel the rebrands count , they were just trying to expand into early 2000's kids stuff and 90's name didn't fit as well.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
My concern wasn't even about content and it being a cartoon channel in the direct sense. I was more concerned that there would be a hard place to have a such a channel because of the marketplace and bandwidth. Like Nexstar, Sinclair, and Scripps won't be picking up any of the Weigel channels, unless they get (cough* money) Weigel got around a lot by owning more stations and some good relationships
with groups like CBS and Gray, and smaller groups.
And despite that, MeTV Toons is already in 70% of the country.
The content could have made it harder to sell to stations,
Despite having received gangbuster ratings on the main MeTV, outranking Seinfeld and The Office on Comedy Central, Law and Order on USA, and Friends on Nick at Nite among adults 18-49.

aegisrawks

I know this will be "Optimistic'd" but I like to think the recent Nick At Nite ratings downfall is due to Me TV Toons.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
And despite that, MeTV Toons is already in 70% of the country.
Yes, I said that, by the fact that Weigel owns stations including in the top markets of the country and the help of CBS, Maranatha, and few others.

Despite having received gangbuster ratings on the main MeTV, outranking Seinfeld and The Office on Comedy Central, Law and Order on USA, and Friends on Nick at Nite among adults 18-49.
Yes, the main METV has a decade head start, classic TV formats were coming out heavily in the early 2010's, and the that METV has wide market place pick up and easier access, it also beats the CW. METV doing helps them sell H&I, Catchy, Story, etc. but again doesn't mean everything will be successful.

The toons format could be hard to sell to a station because of the perception of what toons are, that doesn't mean that it's a right perception or that METV Toons would fail , it's a look at how people think in positions. A station or station group makes a deal (unless they get paid) for a channel if they feel that channel will benefit them in some way. I never said there's no viability, I said it's hard but not impossible. They seem invested and that's good.

Ju_mu

True, toon Disney became a dumping ground of reruns for recently finished one Saturday morning shows by the early 2000s and as much as i love 90s nick a lot of thier early 90s animated stuff was syndicated shows like inspector gadget and Garfield and friends and the nicktoons really didn't start picking up until 96 with the premiere of hey Arnold so the library of 90s shows is not as huge as youd think(especially since a lot of them barely hit 52-65 episodes even including live action content). But metv has the advantage of having multiple different partners with vast libraries and if they can get hasbro or whoever owns the filmation library to come abord then they will have plenty enough content to last a few years.

Mandouga

Okay, look, you guys. Wait Til Your Father Gets Home aside (maybe…), these are “kids shows” they’re airing (and spare me any mention of the classic shorts; if anything, that’s another topic), plus they never said they wouldn’t air toy commercials. As for whether “kids shows” are “profitable” or not, that’s for another thread. With that…

“I must say” that something weird is going on with “…Ed Grimley” today. They aired a sped up (PAL?) version of the opening, but the episode itself is in the pitch it’s supposed to be.

(sigh) Look, I’m just going to come out and say it: MeTV Toons IS a family network, despite the commercials it (mostly) airs right now. Weigel Broadcasting isn’t stupid. They know it has to be a family network in some way or another. There are other things I want to say about it, but I don’t want to “jinx” it, so I’ll stop there. I will say that I trust that Weigel knows what they’re doing, something I can’t really say about a certain other “Network” (hint, hint…).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aegisrawks

Okay, look, you guys. Wait Til Your Father Gets Home aside (maybe…), these are “kids shows” they’re airing (and spare me any mention of the classic shorts; if anything, that’s another topic), plus they never said they wouldn’t air toy commercials. As for whether “kids shows” are “profitable” or not, that’s for another thread. With that…

“I must say” that something weird is going on with “…Ed Grimley” today. They aired a sped up (PAL?) version of the opening, but the episode itself is in the pitch it’s supposed to be.

(sigh) Look, I’m just going to come out and say it: MeTV Toons IS a family network, despite the commercials it (mostly) airs right now. Weigel Broadcasting isn’t stupid. They know it has to be a family network in some way or another. There are other things I want to say about it, but I don’t want to “jinx” it, so I’ll stop there. I will say that I trust that Weigel knows what they’re doing, something I can’t really say about a certain other “Network” (hint, hint…).

No it isnt, how Me TV profits is important and should be discussed here. You misunderstood, WE KNOW these are kids shows, this is a nostalgia channel for people who want to relieve the best years of their lives. OF COURSE they are kids shows. What we are worried about is that MeTV will go full kids channel and make itself dependant on an extremely fickle and unreliable demographic or that they DO stay an adults or at least family oriented channel but airing too many toy commercials would get the FCC to classify them as a kids channel, which would be a death sentence, since kids ad time is WAY more strictly regulated.

These of course, ARE baseless fears, Wiegel knows adults are the more profitable demographic. I am not saying this because I hate kids or want to ruin their fun, but it And airing ONE toy commercial now and then isnt really anything terrible...for now.

If Toy Commercials become more common but nothing really bad happens then I dont mind them.

HombreSinNombre

Forgive My Past
If big advertisers (toys, cereal, whatever) come to Weigal, they are not going to turn them down.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

If big advertisers (toys, cereal, whatever) come to Weigal, they are not going to turn them down.
Obviously not, ironically even the toys could be for adults, kids just play with Ipads...

..."And today's broadcast of Looney Tunes was brough you by APPLE"

LOL.

Moe

More and more adults are enjoying play Play-Doh nowadays and it help with parents who are animated fans.

Did I miss something? I thought they said they won't advertise toys.
Weigel didn't say about not air toys at all, but some members issued their opinions about toy ads are unlikely to air on MeTV Toons.

Weigel will air toy ads if they get sponsors by toy companies and meet the FCC regulation like toys ads must be unrelated to show.

There are many adults enjoy buy toys and sugary cereals, so advertisers know them.

aegisrawks

More and more adults are enjoying play Play-Doh nowadays and it help with parents who are animated fans.

Weigel didn't say about not air toys at all, but some members issued their opinions about toy ads are unlikely to air on MeTV Toons.

Weigel will air toy ads if they get sponsors by toy companies and meet the FCC regulation like toys ads must be unrelated to show.

There are many adults enjoy buy toys and sugary cereals, so advertisers know them.
Yeah, I had forgotten: ADULTS LOVE TOYS.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I've seen Frosted Flakes during the Olympics.
It seems that I haven't watched big name ads. In the times I watch the channel I get those ads for the elderly, Balance of Nature, Consumer Cellular and an online fashion retailer whose name I forgot. Those are the moneymakers of the channel.

And I got to see a Billy Mays infomercial I think during Underdog a few weeks ago, fifteen years after his death. Reminds me of how programs with Eli Soriano are still carried in Latin America even after he died.

Mandouga

One cartoon I’d like to see them get is Alvin and the Chipmunks. Whether it’s The Alvin Show or the 80’s series, it’d be nice to get some Chipmunk representation on TV.

We're more likely to get the 1960s series since the songs are either Chipmunk originals or public domain songs. I think at this point, you probably know the rest…

Moe

One cartoon I’d like to see them get is Alvin and the Chipmunks. Whether it’s The Alvin Show or the 80’s series, it’d be nice to get some Chipmunk representation on TV.
Believe or not, Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983 series) haven't released on full DVD before and haven't went to streaming before, so if Weigel is able to make deal with WBD to carry this show - it will be on broadcast and cable, so it has to substitute with other show for streaming like Weigel did substitute Nash Bridges to Police Story on H&I. I dubbed this show as an huge copyright nightmare (expensive music rights), along with 1980s Muppet Babies.

Of course, I would love to have 80s Muppet Babies to air on MeTV but it is 99% unlikely. Both of Muppet Babies and Alvin and the Chipmunks left in late 90s or early 00s, after aired on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network.

I learned that they didn't air episodes from latest seasons on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, so that is new for me today.

Last edited:

Mandouga

Actually, Moe, there have been select episodes released on DVD, but a Complete Series release may not be happening for a while because of you-know-what…

Moe

Actually, Moe, there have been select episodes released on DVD, but a Complete Series release may not be happening for a while because of you-know-what…

In my post, I referred as whole seasons and complete series.

I don't recognize a release handful of episodes as true DVD release, so it has to be full season or complete series to be qualify for true release, in my opinion.

Yeah, obviously, music rights and further, possibly whole copyright issues in Season 8 if studios dispute the parody in episodes.

This show haven't air on TV for 22 years now after left Cartoon Network.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts