"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
We're more likely to get the 1960s series since the songs are either Chipmunk originals or public domain songs. I think at this point, you probably know the rest…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve heard that around 7 years ago, Bagdasarian Productions was in the process of restoring the whole series, but it was quite time consuming and expensive for them to do. Wonder what’s the status of that?

ToonRo

An unremastered PAL print of the Bigmouth Smurf episode (from Season 4 of The Smurfs) aired today. The opening and closing credits are the correct pitch, but the episode itself is at a PAL pitch.

Moe

Would MeTV Toons acquire the cartoon versions of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley?
If Weigel can get deal with Paramount and both shows are likely to air once per week, either Saturday or Sunday.

I do think that we will see Star Trek: TAS first before both shows.

I'm pretty sure those shows are owned by Paramount.
Yes, they do, even both made by H-B + Paramount.

That's hilarious lol.

Ju_mu

I imagine muppet babies would be pretty much a post game superboss as far as aquisition difficulty goes considering Disney owns the muppets, marvel productions, and even some of the movie clips used as stock footage feature films from studios that disney has since aquired since the show stopped airing.

Moe

I imagine muppet babies would be pretty much a post game superboss as far as aquisition difficulty goes considering Disney owns the muppets, marvel productions, and even some of the movie clips used as stock footage feature films from studios that disney has since aquired since the show stopped airing.
Yeah, Muppet Babies and Alvin and the Chipmunks (both 80s shows) are massive licensing nightmare and I don't expect either goes to MeTV Toons unless it is very miracle, also if Weigel has deal with Disney first.

Technically, if both shows retain the syndication that agreed back in 1990s, so they could air on broadcast, cable and satellite, but not streaming linear nor IPTV, so it means MeTV Toons on Frndly or Philo would be required to substitute with other show or black the show out, so Weigel want to avoid this practice as much as possible and they don't like to deal with angry and disappointed viewers over different treatment.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
I'm pretty sure those shows are owned by Paramount.
I mean, so are the Betty Boop shorts. So those other shows AND the Terrytoons shorts could be on the table, provided Paramount remembers they have them. Personally, the most likely IMO is the Star Trek Animated Series from the 1970s, since they actually bothered to remember that series exists (it was on CW Seed for a while) and fellow Weigel station Heroes & Icons has every OTHER, live action Star Trek series through Enterprise.

On the other hand, don't expect Paramount to give MeTV Toons ANYTHING under the Nickelodeon brand. Not even TMNT 1987, which Neil Sabin mentioned MeTV Toons was trying to get. Maybe Garfield and Friends since 9 Story distributes that and not Paramount, but that's pretty much their only chance at getting anything Nick.

Mandouga

Oh yeah?! Well, personally, I’d like to see not only those come to MeTV Toons, but the Mork and Mindy, AND Little Rascals animated series (which I understand once aired alongside Richie Rich, and Pac-Man)!

“Can you dig it?”…

Really, aegisrawks. That was uncalled for. Just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean other people can’t.

As for the Betty Boop shorts, most of them are in the public domain, that’s why MeTV Toons is able to air them. Speaking of Paramount, I understand they (Weigel Broadcasting) are trying to get the Terrytoons shorts (Mighty Mouse, Gandy Goose, Deputy Dawg, Farmer Alfalfa, and other characters).

Until my next post, everyone, NANU, NANU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
Really, aegisrawks. That was uncalled for. Just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean other people can’t.
Although I agree that it’s fair to like what you like, I don’t think that you should have called out Aegisrawks like that to get your point across. His comment was clearly meant to be a fun lighthearted jab at some shows many people don’t hold in high regard (and being real here, his comment is much less harsh than what I’ve heard coming out of some people regarding those shows).

Though I will say, while I don’t really care if those shows you mentioned Mandouga do come to MeTV Toons (I have barely any interest in early 80s Hanna Barbera, sans a couple of projects here and there) I wouldn’t really mind if that means that better quality copies of those shows would come out. All of those shows (sans Laverne and Shirley in the Army) exist online only as poor VHS rips, it would be nice to see them in better quality (even though that still wouldn’t make the writing of them better).

Moe

His comment was clearly meant to be a fun lighthearted jab at some shows many people don’t hold in high regard (and being real here, his comment is much less harsh than what I’ve heard coming out of some people regarding those shows).
Agreed with you and I can recognize his tone as playful.

He helps to give me a lot of energy and got out of depression, so it make this forum a fun place to discuss.

Hey, better to get back on topic.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Would MeTV Toons acquire the cartoon versions of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley?
I think in that one interview, it was mentioned that they might air the shows like the Brady Kids, based of live-action shows, but more as a special events than actual broadcast. They should put them on the streaming channel thing, I feel.

Pooky

Staff member
While everyone has been pretty civil a reminder to please focus on the shows, not other posters (even when being complimentary).

Whatever their faults I'm personally not sure Happy Days or Laverne & Shirley cartoons would bring any great shame to a network already airing Challenge of the GoBots, Mister T, or Police Academy to name just a few shows of similarly "debatable" quality.

On another tip I was somewhat surprised to hear that MeTVToons has been airing Buzzy the Crow cartoons, with the character's original voice no less. Specifically I've heard they aired The Awful Tooth uncut, which was actually censored when it was released on VHS in the UK (they cut the scene of Katnip with a bag tied round his head, presumably due to fears of inspiring copycat incidents with children).

ToonRo

Just when I thought that Weigel fully retired the motion interpolation (aka soap opera) effect for cartoons after seeing the first few Flintstones episodes with that effect applied a while back (before MeTV Toons was a thing), they decided to try it again with the Speed Racer episode "The Secret Invaders (Part 2)".

Though I'm glad the motion interpolation effect isn't very common on MeTV Toons like it is on other Weigel networks, this recent occurrence makes me worried that it'll occur on future cartoons they'll acquire, like the HD prints of Top Cat, or future episodes of the shows they already have.

Read more here.

Last edited:

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
While everyone has been pretty civil a reminder to please focus on the shows, not other posters (even when being complimentary).
Agreed.
On another tip I was somewhat surprised to hear that MeTVToons has been airing Buzzy the Crow cartoons, with the character's original voice no less. Specifically I've heard they aired The Awful Tooth uncut, which was actually censored when it was released on VHS in the UK (they cut the scene of Katnip with a bag tied round his head, presumably due to fears of inspiring copycat incidents with children).
Not all of the Buzzy the Crow cartoons have the original voice on MeTV Toons. Some still have the 90s redubs (these were originally made for Casper and Friends so that Jeff Montgomery (the owner of those shorts in the 90s) could gain music royalties from each broadcast (he also redubbed the other shorts as well, not just Buzzy). Fan outcry against these versions was allegedly so loud that the company eventually stopped using those versions and restored the original Sharples scores (though they did use these for Harveytoons Show versions of most (if not all) of the Buzzy Crow shorts, which is why they are the only 90s redubs to show up on MeTV Toons)).

Moe

Same here, it was reason about I edited my post that reflected to his post by removed much of statement related to member.

As for MeTV Toons, I wish that Amblin Television make easier and affordable for Weigel to air Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Tiny Toon Adventures on MeTV Toons that where I was told about expensive to be carried on free broadcast network. They managed to carry Freakazoid! because they have less episodes and cheaper for Weigel to buy syndication rights, my guess.

Also, there isn't any old live action Amblin TV shows make to broadcast networks like ER is one of them, even Weigel has option to carry this show for H&I or Start TV.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Ed Grimley intro in PAL?

IIRC the series never aired in Europe at all and SCTV is not that known outside of the USA and above all Canada.

Pooky

Staff member
It did air on UK Cartoon Network in the mid-90s. It was the first I'd heard of the character; I remember being pretty surprised when the character appeared on Martin Short's episode of Muppets Tonight.

Reactions: Moe

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts