"MeTV Toons" Network Launching on June 25th

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I remember back in 2021, people online were really upset that the Bill and Toony wraparound segments were on Toon In With Me and it just seems so funny now. The success of that…led to this.
Oh trust me, I heard plenty of complaints along the lines of “get rid of that guy and his fish and just show the cartoons”.

I take it most people didn’t realize Toon In with Me was meant to be a throwback to local children’s television shows that had classic cartoon segments such as Ray Rayner.

I’m honestly glad those complaints have died down, because oh boy were they annoying!
Oh really? I haven't heard of that. I remember seeing bits and pieces of Toon In with Me whenever I woke up and catch it on MeTV, I thought it was pretty decent for what I saw. The Bill and Toony the Fish segments reminds of Cartoon Network Fridays in a way.

BTW, the bolded part of what people say about Toon In with Me is freaking stupid considering that we got Saturday Morning Cartoons. Why can't they watch that?

This is the same complaints of how people feel about CN Fridays back when it first came out, yet people loved it overtime. I wouldn't be surprised if Toon in with Me going through the same way.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
When they tried making a tuna themed version of Svengoolie, Sventoonie, that also got a lot of complaints. Mainly because a lot of Sven fans just wanted to see the full movies, instead of reviews and skits. A few times they experimented with the format. One time they aired a horror themed Looney Tunes short on Sventoonie. After a while, they decided to scrap the segment in favor of longer slots for Svengoolie and Batman reruns. Maybe they decided the tuna character works better as a host segment to wrap around cartoons rather than a full show.

Mejo

IT’S THE MOUSE!!!
I just watched a UPA short called “Ragtime Bear”. Is this Mr. Magoo’s first appearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes.

You know, you should really research these things for yourself first before asking us. The answers to your questions are usually somewhere online.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"MeTV Toons Announces “Bugs Bunny’s Birthday Bash”"​

Bugs-Bunnys-Birthday-Bash.png

"MeTV Toons has announced plans for Bugs Bunny’s birthday on July 27th. The network is marking the event with Hare’s to Bugs! A Bugs Bunny Celebration, a one hour original special that takes fans and viewers on a journey through the legacy of the superstar. Witness Bugs Bunny’s transformation from animated character to global and pop culture icon.

The new special kicks off a day of programming dedicated to Bugs on the new network. Produced in association with Warner Bros. Discovery, Hare’s to Bugs! charts the character’s meteoric rise to fame and his global recognition with classic archival footage and exclusive new interviews with voice actors Bob Bergen, Eric Bauza, Jeff Bergman, Candi Milo, Billy West, Toon In With Me hosts Bill Leff and Kevin Fleming, animation historian Jerry Beck, and others."

Read the full article here.

Mandouga

Yes.

You know, you should really research these things for yourself first before asking us. The answers to your questions are usually somewhere online.
It was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I probably should have looked it up myself, but I had never actually seen this short before, and I kind of got excited. I mean, it was the beginning of Mr. Magoo (who I did hear was originally a crankier character), so...

Mejo

IT’S THE MOUSE!!!
It was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I probably should have looked it up myself, but I had never actually seen this short before, and I kind of got excited. I mean, it was the beginning of Mr. Magoo (who I did hear was originally a crankier character), so...
No problem. I understand :)

Mandouga

After showing the entire first season, The Real Ghostbusters isn’t starting at the beginning of the second or third seasons. The episode MeTV Toons is showing is “Janine’s Day Off”, which is episode 44 (I think) of the second season (the one that aired five days a week). Does this have anything to do with the other showings on MeTV Toons? Is it just random? I sure wish I knew what was going on…

EDIT: Looked further into it, and it looks while the airings on weekends have nothing to do with it (not really), it does seem that MeTV Toons is airing the second season episodes in random order. They’re not even being shown in broadcast order. I don’t like this…

Last edited:

Mejo

IT’S THE MOUSE!!!
After showing the entire first season, The Real Ghostbusters isn’t starting at the beginning of the second or third seasons. The episode MeTV Toons is showing is “Janine’s Day Off”, which is episode 44 (I think) of the second season (the one that aired five days a week). Does this have anything to do with the other showings on MeTV Toons? Is it just random? I sure wish I knew what was going on…

EDIT: Looked further into it, and it looks while the airings on weekends have nothing to do with it (not really), it does seem that MeTV Toons is airing the second season episodes in random order. They’re not even being shown in broadcast order. I don’t like this…

It’s pretty funny that people keep calling ABC’s run of new episodes “Season 3” even though the syndicated batch of episodes that people refer to as “Season 2” was airing parallel to ABC’s run.

(Though I do understand it’s a bit more messier than that, as “Season 2” was really just an extension of the syndicated Season 1, while “Season 3” was created with all of ABC’s mandates put into effect)

Also yet again, during Cartoon All Stars this time, yesterday they showed Cat in the Act as a b/w Funday Funnies print (I think that will be the last new Funday Funnies print that will air now. All of the shorts that have currently aired in that way were all shown in the same episode of Matty’s according to some newspaper listings. IDK if Universal has more Funday prints in their collection that they sent to MeTV or not).

Last edited:

Mandouga

It wasn't really an extension, though. "Season 2" has 65 new episodes that aired five days a week, while "season 3" has 13 new episodes that aired on ABC, but yeah, they were both airing "concurrently", they call it.

It still doesn't explain why MeTV Toons is airing "season 2" in random order...

Mejo

IT’S THE MOUSE!!!
It wasn't really an extension, though. "Season 2" has 65 new episodes that aired five days a week, while "season 3" has 13 new episodes that aired on ABC, but yeah, they were both airing "concurrently", they call it.
I know that. I was just saying that Season 1 and “ Season 2” were connected by being both aired in syndicated while “Season 3” aired on ABC instead. Sorry if my choice of words confused you.

Mandouga

I'm watching The Flintstones TV specials right now, and maybe it's just me, but it looks like the picture is zoomed in a little. The MeTV Toon logo goes under the screen a little bit, even though my Roku TV's picture setting is set to "Direct", which let's you see the whole picture (some TVs call it "overscan"), and I'm pretty sure it isn't my TV...

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

Moe

I'm watching The Flintstones TV specials right now, and maybe it's just me, but it looks like the picture is zoomed in a little. The MeTV Toon logo goes under the screen a little bit, even though my Roku TV's picture setting is set to "Direct", which let's you see the whole picture (some TVs call it "overscan"), and I'm pretty sure it isn't my TV...
I checked the recording for 4 Flintstones TV specials and all of there are shown in original 4:3 on Frndly.

I think that has with TV station or cable provider did like Spectrum in my area did with H&I - zoomed widescreen.

Mandouga

I saw a Woody Woodpecker short a while ago called "Fodder and son".

-It's set in Yellowstone National Park
-A "Do not feed the bears" sign is put up.
-Two bears, a father and son, see the sign, and the father is annoyed by it, but the son suggests they eat berries, which the father doesn't like at all.
-The father plans to con someone (eventually the park ranger) into giving him food.

I'll bet anything this sounds familiar. Heck, the father is voiced by Daws Butler (one of Walter Lantz' go-to voice actors). The short came out in 1957, one year before you-know-who made his debut (three years before he got his own show).

To put it one way, Walter Lantz had done it one year before Hanna-Barbera "made it cool", if you know what I mean...

BattleForBFDIFan4

IMO almost everything should be TV-G, with a few of the more violent or crass shows at TV-Y7. I guess I can get the shorts from Golden Age earning a TV-PG rating because of alcohol, tobacco, guns, and racial stereotypes.
I remember some older cartoon network shows from the 90s and early 2000s having a pg rating

Mejo

IT’S THE MOUSE!!!
I saw a Woody Woodpecker short a while ago called "Fodder and son".

-It's set in Yellowstone National Park
-A "Do not feed the bears" sign is put up.
-Two bears, a father and son, see the sign, and the father is annoyed by it, but the son suggests they eat berries, which the father doesn't like at all.
-The father plans to con someone (eventually the park ranger) into giving him food.

I'll bet anything this sounds familiar. Heck, the father is voiced by Daws Butler (one of Walter Lantz' go-to voice actors). The short came out in 1957, one year before you-know-who made his debut (three years before he got his own show).

To put it one way, Walter Lantz had done it one year before Hanna-Barbera "made it cool", if you know what I mean...
It’s not the only instance either. A Barney Bear short titled Barney’s Hungry Cousin has a picnic stealing bear (the Hungry Cousin in the title) in a park even named Jellystone. Heck the director (Dick Lundy) even ended up working at Hanna Barbera later.
I wonder if casper and friends will show the early ones from the 40s or the much later ones from mid to late 60s. Alot of it is from 1950-1962.
Hard to say. They’re owned by 2 different companies and haven’t done so yet so I don’t know if they could (though the Popeye and Friends also airs the UPA shorts which are also owned by 2 different companies). They might run Quack-A-Doodle-Doo on there though since that was aired on both The Baby Huey Show and The Harveytoons Show and therefore, they probably have a print of that, but I’m not sure if they will.

Last edited:

Mandouga

They’re just played the Woody short “Sleep Happy”, but the pitch is higher than it should be. This one could be a PAL version.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Name one studio, brand or company that has gone bankrupt as a result of embracing diversity. Just one. I'll wait.

Very interesting. It's great to see that Ouweleen wanted to push Adult Swim internationally.
PinkieLopBun breathed sanity into my mind. CN isnt THAT BAD after all then.
aegisrawks wrote on Mejo's profile.
Where is that lil mouse from he's super cute!
Considering the very unpredictable nature of the cartoon industry, where shows are getting cancelled very abruptly, I’m starting to get worried nowadays whenever a cartoon today ends a season with a hook for the next one or a cliffhanger, considering how many of them go unresolved.

Featured Posts