Movies you regret watching

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
You know, movies you regret watching because they had disturbing scenes and stuff in them. Movies you wish you could erase from your brain with that mind-eraser thingy from Men in Black, if you could.

Mine are:

Pretty Baby: I watched this years ago on Netflix, and while I knew a twelve-year old Brooke Shields played a child prostitute in it, I did not know she had a nude scene in it. So yeah, that was awkward. 1970s auteur filmmakers were sure sleazy.

Goodbye Uncle Tom- Oh my God, this movie, this movie. It purports to be some documentary filmmakers traveling back in time to the American South in the time of slavery, and it doesn't hold anything back, being that in was filmed in Haiti during the reign of Papa Doc Duvalier. Given that, the film makers were given a lot of leeway to show how brutal things were, but if comes off as the worst, most crass kind of exploitation. I suffered so you don't, so stay away from this movie.

Interesting trivia note: The birdcage-like devices some slaves wore in Django Unchained were a reference to this movie. The fact that Quentin Tarantino saw it tells you all you need to know.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Requiem For a Dream. I never want to see that frickin' movie again. That montage at the end was just disturbing. Plus I already don't do drugs so the message of the movie was preaching to the choir.

Pink Flamingos. Gross. And not funny gross, just squick and prurient. When one of the characters started "lip syncing" with his, er... exit hole, I fled for the hills.

Starship Troopers: Most of the movie didn't bother me but that scene towards the end where Zander gets sucked dry by one of the aliens was disgusting.

More if I think of them.

AllenJ

Admittedly I've always had sort of an odd fascination with the spoof movies of Friedberg and Seltzer due to how terrible they are, but I've never been able to watch Disaster Movie in its entirety. Its reputation as one of the worst movies ever made is more than well-earned, as it crosses the line from merely lame and unfunny to repulsively abhorrent in several scenes, particularly Alvin and the Chipmunks turning rabid and attacking Juno. Even putting aside the question of why a pregnant woman getting gruesomely ripped to shreds is meant to be funny, the creepy, bug-eyed puppet versions of the chipmunks are so hideous and unsightly that I can't even bear to look at them (ditto for the Kung Fu Panda costume that shows up later). That one scene was enough to cement Friedberg and Seltzer as two of the worst filmmakers of all time in my book.

Last edited:

khuddle

The Wolf of Wall Street. Just one of the most vile and disgusting movies I have ever seen. A black mark
for Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey and Margot Robbie.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Oddly enough, the only movie I regret seeing wasn't especially disturbing or even that bad, although it was, in my opinion, mediocre and disappointing; seeing A Quiet Place Part II soon after cinemas reopened; it was a scorching hot day, and my friend and I both agreed afterwards we'd have rather gone to the park.

Other than that, I can sincerely say nothing. It's all been acquiring knowledge of a sort (about film, about my own tastes and limits).

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Heavy Traffic. There is not a single good thing in that movie.
Heh. You sound like a friend of mine who I went to see that with in theaters (re-release, obviously). This guy can see good in most ANY movie, except this one.

Funny thing is a week earlier we went to see American Pop in theaters which he kinda liked but Heavy Traffic put him off Bakshi forever.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Heh. You sound like a friend of mine who I went to see that with in theaters (re-release, obviously). This guy can see good in most ANY movie, except this one.

Funny thing is a week earlier we went to see American Pop in theaters which he kinda liked but Heavy Traffic put him off Bakshi forever.
We talked about this in a similar topic when I brought that movie up. There is nothing good in it or anything that isn't purely awful and unpleasant.

By the way, same is true of Coonskin (if to a lesser extent). Hey Good Lookin' is shockingly gross too.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Other movies I regret seeing:

Caligula- Years ago, my brother rented the unrated version of Caligula from Netflix, and I watched it with him, and after a little while it got to be a bit much, and he turned it off. That movie is the dictionary definition of "unpleasant".

Bolero- Not a great movie. Had to stop after a full-frontal nude scene with a 15-year-old Olivia D'Abo. Just, why? Furthermore, all I can say about the cinematic oeuvre of John Derek was that he sure wasn't shy about letting people see his wife naked.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
^ Did something in Black Adam disturb or gross you out? That's what this topic is about, not movies you simply hated.

Speaking of, I've got another one. Sssssss. Yes, it's a cheesy early '70s horror movie. But it has one of the most disturbing transformation sequences I've ever seen in cinema, where a guy turns into a snake. Just something about the gradually-changing, practical make-up effects and how the character moans in pain while it happens really stuck with me, in a bad way. I never want to see it again.

Pooky

Staff member
I've thought of one even though it was only a clip. One Sunday night in early 2005 the UK's Channel 4 played a little schedule filler called The 100 Greatest Cartoons; lest you think that sounds like an entertaining prospect, let me clarify the closest US equivalent would have been like I Love the 70s/80s, or VH1's 100 Awesomely Bad Whatevers, short clips alternated with snarky comments from celebrities, some A-List and of some relevance, many Z-List and decidedly not. Anyway the conceit was that the public voted for the 100 Greatest Cartoons on Channel 4's website and the results were given in the programme. That The Simpsons ended up being the victor just as Channel 4 has shelled out a fortune for the terrestrial UK TV rights was, I'm sure, just a coincidence.

Anyway, as yet more evidence that this was definitely the result of a real and legit poll of the UK populace and not just them using what clips they could get the rights to, Urotsukidoji I: Legend of the Overfiend got to No. 72 and a few clips were played, one in particular staying with me. I can't really describe what it was on this site, but if you've even heard of this Anime film you can probably guess the general area. It was enough to put me off Anime for years, not, in retrospect, a rational reaction, nor one I'm proud of, but an honest reaction to something that disturbed and offended me greatly.

cartoonnetworkpoke

^ Did something in Black Adam disturb or gross you out? That's what this topic is about, not movies you simply hated.

Speaking of, I've got another one. Sssssss. Yes, it's a cheesy early '70s horror movie. But it has one of the most disturbing transformation sequences I've ever seen in cinema, where a guy turns into a snake. Just something about the gradually-changing, practical make-up effects and how the character moans in pain while it happens really stuck with me, in a bad way. I never want to see it again.
When I was watching the movie in theaters I was one of only like four people there. Maybe the vibe/atmosphere didn't sit with Me.

Pooky

Staff member
Over the years there have been a couple of films where I was the only attendee (Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star and Asterix: Mansion of the Gods), it was quite unnerving (especially when what seemed like a school trip burst in at the very end of Dickie Roberts (think they were there for School of Rock)) though not quite enough to make me regret watching them (not that either of them are great).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Me and one of my teachers were the only two people in a screening of 101 Dalmatians (the cartoon). I found it a fun experience. Not unnerving.

Pooky

Staff member
Two, when I was accompanied by someone, wasn't a problem. Totally on my own kind of was. Can't rationalize it, but it was.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't actually REGRET this one, because I didn't finish it, but I couldn't get through Crumb.

As a teenager I considered myself a burgeoning film buff and heard nothing about raves about the documentary about R Crumb and his messed up family. There is a point in the first third of the picture that documents a sexually explicit Crumb strip dealing with incest with Robert is laughing uproariously through it.

I shut the movie off at that point, rewound it, and returned it to the video store. I NEVER do that. But I was like, "Nope. Done."

Pooky

Staff member
My main memory of that is from the end when he and his wife are planning their move to France, and he's imagining the "jock" moving men not understanding the value of his precious jazz albums, and his wife is talking about visiting a house where a group of "fat teenagers" were (gasp!) playing a Ninja Turtles video game, and they both conclude that they "won't be seeing much of that" in France. They were so insufferably smug that it made me glad that America has so successfully rammed even its most mediocre mass culture down the throats of the world.

Francisque

A few, but the worst one ever was Disaster Movie

I don't even know where to start; not even close to the Scary Movie parody type

Admittedly I've always had sort of an odd fascination with the spoof movies of Friedberg and Seltzer due to how terrible they are, but I've never been able to watch Disaster Movie in its entirety. Its reputation as one of the worst movies ever made is more than well-earned, as it crosses the line from merely lame and unfunny to repulsively abhorrent in several scenes, particularly Alvin and the Chipmunks turning rabid and attacking Juno. Even putting aside the question of why a pregnant woman getting gruesomely ripped to shreds is meant to be funny, the creepy, bug-eyed puppet versions of the chipmunks are so hideous and unsightly that I can't even bear to look at them (ditto for the Kung Fu Panda costume that shows up later). That one scene was enough to cement Friedberg and Seltzer as two of the worst filmmakers of all time in my book.
I hadn't even seen your post before posting mine lol

I see Disaster Movie has a reputation, then : )

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts