"My Adventures With Superman" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Season!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Krypton Is Coming

mawsposterseason2.jpg

My Adventures With Superman - Season 2
The three best friends face a host of new threats. Powerful foes will emerge from Clark's alien past, Amanda Waller will take aim at Superman, Lois will grapple with the future, and Jimmy Olsen will spend an unbelievable amount of money. Krypton is coming for our young heroes, and its arrival will test their strength, loyalty, and love like never before.

Episode 11 "More Things in Heaven and Earth" - May 25, 2024
Clark agonizes over what to do for Valentine's Day … until visions of his father lead him to the remains of his Spaceship and new villains!

Episode 12 "Adventures with My Girlfriend" - May 25, 2024
Perry saddles Jimmy with a new "team" to run Flamebird, and Clark and Lois investigate Stryker Penitentiary.

External Links
-Watch on Max
-Watch on Adult Swim

Related Threads
-News & Discussion Thread
-Season One Talkback

Comments?

Mod Note: Please feel free to start discussing the episodes right away after it is premieres!

Discussion is encouraged, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own running commentary, though AVOID successive posting or posts with only three words and under. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! Any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
"More Things in Heaven and Earth"

We're back! Premiering on Toonami now!

I was kind of wishing they'd updated the opening a little more...maybe they will later when Kara shows up? Also way to spoil Kara later in the season during the commercial break, Tom!

Clark thought he was assured in his identity and humanity? Here's more vague and nightmare-ish visions!

Lois Lane is now an official reporter with a supportive Superhero boyfriend and an MIA dad she's desperately trying to get in touch with.

Jimmy is rich and flexing it, pouring his love through cash, with periodic reminders of his net worth. Will that survive the season? Remains to be seen.

It wouldn't be an anime-esque romcom show without a Valentine's Day episode or overthinking Valentine's Day (Cat Grant: always interfering in Clark's love life).

I'm with Per-Per! Take down Vicki Vale!

We finally visit STAR Labs! And I'm sure they'll end up using that Amazo ship to head into space.

Ha, STAR Labs wants nothing to do with "Alex." And Jimmy ends up giving a pep talk to LEX LUTHOR, sporting his classic purple and green colors in his jacket, and will inevitably screw everybody over. The best part is Lex is voiced by frequent Jimmy VA Max Mittleman!

Lois is pals with Hank Henshaw? Hope nothing happens to him or his wife to turn him into a superman-hating cyborg in his form.

Of course the ship is now in the arctic, that's where the Fortress of Solitude is supposed to be!

So I guess Clark cant fly everybody everywhere, so convenient Jimmy can set them up with a private jet!

Of course Lois Lane forgets Valentine's Day.

Jor-El AI can finally speak English! About time!

So Krypton WAS basically the Viltrumite Empire...and they picked a fight with Apokolips and got Omega Beamed by Darkseid, basically. But Clark's parents still loved him, and wanted to protect him, and died with the planet in the process of sending him off before they could follow him. And the ship they've all been afraid of is basically a rogue Brainiac carrying it's programming of conquering for the Kryptonian Empire with the "General."

And Kara! Who is a baby instead of a teenager like she usually is depicted when she leaves Krypton! Which begs a lot of questions how they're going to adapt her here.

Hope you haven't had enough of Task Force X, because they're here, still trying to ward off a Kryptonian invasion. Also here's Damage...I know this show is frequent in using non-Superman characters, but it's weird we'd get frikkin' DAMAGE before, like, Metallo.

I wish they'd update the Deathstroke helmet to reflect that he can only use the one eye.

Aw, Clark called him "dad!" And they talk about the women they love!

Some things never change, like Clark getting beat up and needing to get saved in his own show.

THERE'S the real Fortress! Looking pretty impressive!

Welp, Waller finally has Kryptonite.

Jor-El is finally able to reconnect with his son and express how proud he is of him...even though the AI is about to fade away. But at least Clark was able to embrace and accept his biological father in the end.

Clark and Lois share a romantic moment next to an aurora! Beautiful.

"Adventures with my Girlfriend"

I never expected to see Amanda Waller's morning routine. Also, here's Parasite!

Jimmy realizing it's easier being rich than being a content creator with the News Legion and Steve Lombard. While Perry finally gets the pleasure of his former interns realizing what he went through in season 1.

Lois Lane with the Shojo Romance disguise premise. Only in her fantasies will she wear a dress! But Clark is always "handsome" to her. At least she got princess carried.

Is there anything more Lois Lane than jumping down an elevator shaft knowing Superman would catch her?

No one gets under Mandy's skin like Sam, but Waller knows how to hit him where it hurts.

Clark close to realizing his inability to see through lead.

Jimmy is really bringing kids to a prison...? Although I guess it turned out for the best. Also, Jimmy's net worth is totally going to be 0 by the end of this season.

Only Lois Lane could save her father and get criticized him for it. And Sam and Superman still need to hash things out. Ha! He was mad Clark wasn't there as Lois' boyfriend!

Atomic Skull! Probably one of the better villain designs if I'm being honest.

Should Clark listen to his girlfriend or try to find his cousin? Decisions, decisions.

It's like every new piece of DC Media has to double down on all the inhumane and illegal acts Waller will pull on people for the sake of the "greater good" of the USA. Though also a part of it is her own pride in trying to outdo Sam. '
'
Superman won a fight on his own! Basically! More or less! I guess!

When did he unlock Super Breath!? The tie-in comic? Does he have Freeze Breath now too!?

Oh, Clark hiding the beacon and he and Lois not really talking through the stuff with her dad or his stuff is going to probably hurt their relationship in the future. But first...Clark is going to be roomies with his future father-in-law! I'm sure that will go well!

"Alex" finally living up to his name as Lex Luthor and joining the fight against aliens and Superman. Even getting some revenge against Ivo in the process. And he's totally losing his hair by the end of this season.

Oh hey, they added Sam Lane to the credits shot with the trio!

So next week: Heat Wave and Livewire?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"More Things in Heaven And Earth"

The show hasn't dropped the ball and comes in like no time has passed! What a relief! The 'grand romantic gesture' bit was hilarious, even Jor-El said it. :D

Totally seeding them going into space to get Kara when Jimmy points out the Amazotech jump dive ship at S.T.A.R. Labs. And they intro'd Hank Henshaw!!! And he mentioned his wife!!! Ooooo.

But what did Jor-El mean when they found an enemy they couldn't defeat? An actual enemy? Or was he speaking in metaphor e.g. themselves? Because Brainiac System? So like STAS, Brainiac was Kryptonian tech. Unless it valued itself over Krypton as well. Or its programming hacked and corrupted during Krypton's expansion across space? Hmm. Apokolips? Alien Alliance from Invasion! comics? Thanagar? Gordanians? Citadel? Khunds? Psions? Based on that clip on X the other day, might be some or all of the above.

Would never guessed that new villain was Damage (mainly cuz I never heard of him or read those later comics).

Is Kara going to turn out to be that armored warrior with Brainiac? And when Superman uses the beacon he leads Brainiac right to them by mistake?

The feels when Jor-El tells Clark he's proud of him and the gut wrenching goodbye. :(

But snap, Task Force X has some bits of Kryptonite!!!

"Adventures with My Girlfriend"

Figures Waller would use a prison as a front for the new base.

I'm sure that big thing Jimmy will bring to Perry to get one on Vicki will be Supergirl's debut.

I agree, the season will end with Jimmy going broke - only reason why they have the counter of his bank account, lol.

Was happy there was a bit more humor in this one - Perry laughing when Jimmy whines the interns aren't listening, Superman tells Lois he sees her inching to the elevator shaft, Lois trying to start her shift, and Sam in the 'Dad, I'm here to save you. No! I brought Superman. No!' :D :D

Good callbacks, like when Slade said you should have let me take the shot referencing back to ep5 last season, the 1st one with Heatwave.

My guess for the Checkmate Operative Waller talks to at the end on comms is Harry Stein. And who he alluded to being their other choice to lead Task Force X? I'd guess Rick Flag. Not many other choices.

The Lex Luthor name drop would have been cooler if they didn't spoil it in the trailer. But oi, Lex and Waller teaming up. Nothing bad can come of that... lol.

I hope/bet Waller or Checkmate realizes Superman is their ally and this black ops government stuff can end this season. Like if/when Brainiac shows up on Earth, to the gov. it's the lesser of two evils and they need Superman's help against future alien invasions. I am more interested in when some other Super Family characters will starting popping up like Lana or Toyman. Like I hope this Task Force X-government stuff wraps up this season and they move on to something else in season 3 knock wood.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
It looks as though Lex is going through his development phase, just as Clark is. Not a business tycoon or a real estate developer. He doesn't even seem to be relying on dad's money or name. He's just an unappreciated assistant trying to gain his power through science.

Jor-El is finally able to get through to his son, right before his AI programming is obliterated. I guess Clark will have to learn about everything Kryptonian another way. At least, he was able to inform him about Kara. It's surprising that he didn't know about Zod and his Brainiac. It's too bad that he couldn't get a chance to explain it to Lois but her caution is definitely valid. It was also a bit interesting to see the Kryptonians as imperialists and not the traditional "science loving people of Tomorrow."

Waller is a real piece of work. It's hard to believe there's any real love of country or humanity motivating her when she's willing to imprison, mutilate and kill unwilling civilians like this to get one up on Superman. While watching her morning routine, I was wondering if this was going to be a version that has a family life at home while she's involved with horrendous things at work.

I enjoyed how threatening Damage and Atomic Skull came across against Superman. Damage's transformation in particular, felt so much like watching a horrendous anime antagonist here.

Poor Perry is cracking under the pressure of dealing with competing with Vicky to the point that he'd hire the kids selling their own fan fanzine to be Jimmy's intern. I appreciated his manic laughter over Jimmy dealing with disobedient interns. Jimmy was so nonchalant about becoming a multimillionaire but now it seems that he'll squander all of it while Flamebird flames out.

It's good to have the show back and I'm appreciating Saturday Night Toonami premieres over the weekday premieres we had last year. It just feels a little more convenient.

*edit*

I turned on Captions last night to make sure if it was Hank Henshaw Lois was dealing with. I ended up noticing that there was a caption saying "Dammit, Superman" during the climax with Waller. It had me wondering if things might already be getting a little TV-PG, or if it's just a nothing burger along the lines of Wally giving an "Oh Crap" during early Young Justice.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Clark learning more about his Kryptonian heritage was handled well but there are still some questions left unanswered. Jor-El finally in English (or whatever other languages the show will be dubbed in), but it's too bad it happened so close to his programming being completely corrupted. Still, a tease of Supergirl and I look forward to her formal introduction.

The Lois & Clark dynamic is still fun, maybe even more than in the previous season considering they're an official couple now. The Valentine's Day dilemma, Lois' plan to infiltrate the prison, her jumping into an elevator shaft... as well as her small fight with Clark in regards to his cousin. All pretty entertaining stuff.

Jimmy's new position and responsibilities, we'll see how long his money will last. I did like his scenes with Perry (Per-Per?) and his small pep talk to Lex Luthor, which will probably come back to haunt all of them later on.

Not a lot to comment on Luthor himself, but it's nice they officially introduced him after his short appearances in the previous season. Him teaming up with Waller should be interesting. Wonder what other villains they will create together. Hank Henshaw might be one, for all we know. Plus, more kryptonite.

I don't know much about Damage but he was a fine opponent for Superman. I liked Atomic Skull a bit more, they didn't alter his design that much compared to some of the other villains on the show.

The action scenes were good, as expected. There was still some drama and comedy in there and I feel like Lois' dad Sam kind of stole the show in the second episode. Both the serious stuff, like him getting interrogated by Waller or realizing she basically back-stabbed him to take control, but also some comedic bits like not wanting to be rescued or agreeing to stay with Clark & Jimmy. That should be fun.

All in all, I think the season is off to a good start.

Frontier

Staff member
"More Things in Heaven And Earth"

The show hasn't dropped the ball and comes in like no time has passed! What a relief! The 'grand romantic gesture' bit was hilarious, even Jor-El said it. :D
Jor-El the surprising romantic ;).
Totally seeding them going into space to get Kara when Jimmy points out the Amazotech jump dive ship at S.T.A.R. Labs. And they intro'd Hank Henshaw!!! And he mentioned his wife!!! Ooooo.
Now I suddenly imagine they drag Hank into space to help them and something bad happens and he gets lost only to turn up later as Cyborg-Superman :eek:.

Also the way all those people that were experimented on had those bony portrusions coming out of their body. Could this lead to Doomsday :ack:?
But what did Jor-El mean when they found an enemy they couldn't defeat? An actual enemy? Or was he speaking in metaphor e.g. themselves? Because Brainiac System? So like STAS, Brainiac was Kryptonian tech. Unless it valued itself over Krypton as well. Or its programming hacked and corrupted during Krypton's expansion across space? Hmm. Apokolips? Alien Alliance from Invasion! comics? Thanagar? Gordanians? Citadel? Khunds? Psions? Based on that clip on X the other day, might be some or all of the above.
I think they definitely picked a fight against Apokolips that they didn't win. That beam that destroyed the drones zig-zagged which is the tell tale sign of Darkseid's Omega Beam and we know Parademons are going to show up.

Though it's interesting to think that the Kryptonians being imperialists might mean they're not very popular in space once Clark or Kara start getting actively involved.

I think Brainiac is like the collective computer system of Krypton and after losing the planet and any connection to Kryptonian society it's acting on its lingering program to continue serving the empire even if it doesn't exist any more.
But snap, Task Force X has some bits of Kryptonite!!!
We saw a Kryptonite blade in one of the trailers but I just want to see Metallo finally :rolleyes2:.
My guess for the Checkmate Operative Waller talks to at the end on comms is Harry Stein. And who he alluded to being their other choice to lead Task Force X? I'd guess Rick Flag. Not many other choices.
Sarge Steel?
I hope/bet Waller or Checkmate realizes Superman is their ally and this black ops government stuff can end this season. Like if/when Brainiac shows up on Earth, to the gov. it's the lesser of two evils and they need Superman's help against future alien invasions. I am more interested in when some other Super Family characters will starting popping up like Lana or Toyman. Like I hope this Task Force X-government stuff wraps up this season and they move on to something else in season 3 knock wood.
I feel like Waller is too far gone to accept Superman as an ally at this point.

I do wonder when Lana shows up considering how much this season is shifting to space.
It looks as though Lex is going through his development phase, just as Clark is. Not a business tycoon or a real estate developer. He doesn't even seem to be relying on dad's money or name. He's just an unappreciated assistant trying to gain his power through science.
I also find it interesting that he's never interacted with Superman or Clark, just Lois or Jimmy.
Waller is a real piece of work. It's hard to believe there's any real love of country or humanity motivating her when she's willing to imprison, mutilate and kill unwilling civilians like this to get one up on Superman. While watching her morning routine, I was wondering if this was going to be a version that has a family life at home while she's involved with horrendous things at work.
It also feels like she's deliberately trying to one-up Sam.
I enjoyed how threatening Damage and Atomic Skull came across against Superman. Damage's transformation in particular, felt so much like watching a horrendous anime antagonist here.
It's also kind of harrowing to think that people would be willing to do that to their bodies just out of a sense of duty or patriotism.
I turned on Captions last night to make sure if it was Hank Henshaw Lois was dealing with. I ended up noticing that there was a caption saying "Dammit, Superman" during the climax with Waller. It had me wondering if things might already be getting a little TV-PG, or if it's just a nothing burger along the lines of Wally giving an "Oh Crap" during early Young Justice.
I honestly though I had misheard that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"More Things In Heaven And Earth" - Here Are Some Stray Thoughts on this episode.

- Though there were some solid zingers sprinkled throughout this one, by far the three biggest laughs I got out of this one was Jimmy admitting to Lois how Clark is freaked out about Valentine's Day and her having no idea it even WAS Valentine's Day (it's nice when you have the female lead probably be even more clueless about romance then the guy is), Jor-El pointing out how ridiculous it was for Superman to bring his frail human partner here and how he'd have to do some some sort of grand romantic gesture if he had messed up with Lara so much, and of course mocking the "can you read my mind" bit. Like admittedly I'm not expert on the 1978 Superman movie but even I know that bit... oddly enough because it was parodied in The Venture Brothers but it is nice how organically the crew were able to throw a bit of shade to that whole thing.

- Heh speaking of Venture Brothers, the whole bit of talling up Jimmy's money was also a bit VB did in it's season 4 premiere but yeah this seems like it will be a thing throughout the second season. I kind of hope it doesn't just wind up going down and also goes up since honestly though the idea of Jimmy being given his own team and unintentionally spending all of this money throughout on various things is funny feels like a wasted opportunity if the entire punchline especially spread throughout the season is "he just ends it broke." Like what if he wound up getting some videos that made it go up then maybe something happened when it went down and then up again? Maybe that's just ripping off the whole 2 Broke Girls concept I don't know but again just something I thought of as this was all playing out.

- I do really like the exchanges that Kal and his father have here. Granted it is clear that "season 2" was obviously planned as a season 1 part 2 considering how the whole set up of the various episodes with clips of Jor-El was setting all of this up but it does work and I appreciate the different take on the Kryptonians. Yeah admittedly does feel rather different to have them as this warrior conquest race (heh now seems like they're taking from Dragon Ball not the other way around) but I do like the idea of that Brainiac force that is ultimately responsbile for taking pretty much everyone else out except Kal and Kara. I'm not sure how much it would hit having Clark trying to connect with the baby pod of his cousin if you didn't really know any Superman lore but I think it works well considering how this is still connected to Clark finally getting some answers about his people and getting that sense of closure. Plus they were able to keep a regal and other worldly feel for Jor-El and his hologram technology without it being overly prentitious like... you know certain other Superman related pieces of media blah blah guess it's fun still stomping in the ashes of the DCEU.

- Oh and speaking of that this is also a better take on how to do a nerdy sort of social awkward Lex Luthor; have him actually have someone else wind up encouraging him to follow his passions in this came Jimmy and yeah that's obviously not going to go well for the team later on but again it is a solid moment and again I am glad this shows how the crew does care about the three as leads and does keep giving them stuff to do.

Now onto some thoughts of "Adventures With My Girlfriend"

- Okay I don't want to start out negative but if there's a big thing that puts the first episode as the better one for me of the two parter premiere it's some of the tension character drama this one throws down. Some works as I'll get to but the whole "oh Lois makes this plan of having her dad live with Clark and Jimmy" feels like a pretty bad idea you know is just going to explode in their face. And you know I actually do like Sam as a character and think he's pretty interesting but I don't know how much drama or even comedy you're going to get over "oh he doesn't like Clark cause he thinks he flakes out cause he doesn't know he's also superman. " Like it was refreshing having the main cast be all aware of the big secrets and I get having some smaller secrets but this one just seems doomed to failure. Like especially if there are constant attacks or people need saving how would Clark really be able to hide from Sam who he is if they have to live together? Again I don't mind these guys having flaws or issues and making some dumb decisions but there's like a line and yeah this was mine. Maybe it will lead somewhere good but not digging where we are.

- Again there is a lot to like. Again Sam actually works as a character to me and I actually really like his back and forth with Amanda Waller. Like it is clear the two do have a lot of history and though it's clear she is going too far (as most any Amanda Waller tends to do) I am hoping they don't paint her as just a 100% villain. Amanda Waller is someone who will perfectly sacrifice a few for the sake of the majority each and every time but there should still be some gray in and having this sort of softness for Sam even if she ultimately screwed him over just to be in charge works. Admittedly the idea of Luthor and her working together was a better hook for the end of a JLU episode but I think this show will explore that dynamic more then that show got a chance to.

- And there are a lot of really good comedic and even dramatic moments in the Clark and Lois pair up. I just really love Lois's out there plan for trying to get in the library and Clark just bursting them in but then her jumping down the elevator shaft and Clark going after her pointing out she does that a lot and her pointing out she knows he'll always catch her. Like having these two as a couple and being able to have moments like this is a big reason why I'm glad we're following them as a couple and again when it's dealing with more smaller secrets and personal drama talks it hits. I do like how Clark though bothered by Sam after what happened to him also doesn't like the guy for how he talks to Lois as yeah that would be something that makes sense for him to have issues with. But I also like how even if Lois won't admit it there is a bit of sense of paranoia like her father about who you give chances to since she isn't in favor of trying to find Kara due to knowing how dangerous Krypton objects could be and that though she trusts Clark still has obvious issues with his people and again that makes sense as a secret to sort of share and curious where that will go.

- I will say that this had the superior action since though Blockbuster fighting Supes was decent the battle with Atomic Skull was a step up... granted I'm probably still in X-men 97 mode so had to remind myself "okay this show doesn't go to those extremes with it's action as that one" but you know they are still decent fights and you know I do dig how Supes uses his power in speeding around and even how he just tapped those guards out.

So yeah good premiere couple of issues (well one fairly major one) but I am exited to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now I suddenly imagine they drag Hank into space to help them and something bad happens and he gets lost only to turn up later as Cyborg-Superman :eek:.

Also the way all those people that were experimented on had those bony portrusions coming out of their body. Could this lead to Doomsday :ack:?
Maybe in season 8. It's cool they found a way to use Hank or homage the bonetrusions, but eh leave it be.

I think they definitely picked a fight against Apokolips that they didn't win. That beam that destroyed the drones zig-zagged which is the tell tale sign of Darkseid's Omega Beam and we know Parademons are going to show up.
Ugh. That's true, that could have been the Omega Effect. Eye roll. Gimme some Psions and Vrangs any day. Darkseid is overexposed.

Sarge Steel?
That's another good choice. I think even Vostok/Negative Woman was involved in these black op groups in the comics, too.

Frontier

Staff member
Maybe in season 8. It's cool they found a way to use Hank or homage the bonetrusions, but eh leave it be.
It would also feel kind of repetitive after the DCAMU...
Ugh. That's true, that could have been the Omega Effect. Eye roll. Gimme some Psions and Vrangs any day. Darkseid is overexposed.
It's funny how linked to Superman mythos Darkseid is at this point:

- Was basically the Big Bad and Final Boss of S:TAS.

- Was the Big Bad in the final season and also the Final Boss of Smallville.

- Big Bad of a Batman/Superman movie centered around Supergirl.

- Was responsible for Doomsday and Cyborg-Superman in the DCAMU

- Destroyed Krypton in MAWS

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some more random comments...

When they first showed Hank's picture and started saying his name, I was half-expecting him to be named Hal instead. Additionally, the meteoroid that could have crashed into the Earth made me think of Supergirl's arrival inside a kryptonite asteroid as in a version of her origin from the comics.

Teasing Darkseid was bound to happen sooner or later. It's funny how he's kind of become to "default" big bad for most DC Comics cartoons featuring Superman. I think only Legion of Super-Heroes really avoided this by brining in Imperiex instead.

We did kind of see some of Waller's morning routine before in Justice League Unlimited's "The Doomsday Sanction" before Batman confronted her.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
These two episodes were a strong way to open the season. While I think Amanda Waller and Task Force X are starting to overstay their welcome and I feel too many villains are becoming Krypton-enhanced goons, I was impressed that they series was willing to touch on the cruelty of the carceral system, especially since it clashes with the show's overall optimistic and humorous vibe.

I loved the running gag of everyone telling Clark to do a romantic gesture for Lois, only for her to even forget Valentine's Day. Speaking of, I like the set up for the conflict in this season. It feels very natural for their characters instead of melodrama just inserted in there to cause drama.

I like that they're setting up stuff like Lori Lemaris and Hank Henshaw as subtly as they do, but I hope they're set up for future seasons, since I feel like this season has a lot in its place for the limited amount of time it has. I enjoyed that Hank looks quite a bit like a traditional Superman. He seems like such a nice guy too, which amplifies his future potential tragedy.

I lost it at "Can you read my mind?" starting off Clark's poem. Poor guy.
Teasing Darkseid was bound to happen sooner or later. It's funny how he's kind of become to "default" big bad for most DC Comics cartoons featuring Superman. I think only Legion of Super-Heroes really avoided this by brining in Imperiex instead.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of treating Darkseid as any other of the big bads in the DC universe. It's why I wasn't in a rush to see him "defeated" in Young Justice like many people wanted. Although it'd be interesting to contrast this more lighthearted version of Superman against him.

Frontier

Staff member
When they first showed Hank's picture and started saying his name, I was half-expecting him to be named Hal instead. Additionally, the meteoroid that could have crashed into the Earth made me think of Supergirl's arrival inside a kryptonite asteroid as in a version of her origin from the comics.
Glad I'm not the only one who saw Hank's picture and thought "Hal!?" :p.
Teasing Darkseid was bound to happen sooner or later. It's funny how he's kind of become to "default" big bad for most DC Comics cartoons featuring Superman. I think only Legion of Super-Heroes really avoided this by bringing in Imperiex instead.
In another world the show got a third season adaption the Great Darkness Saga ;)
These two episodes were a strong way to open the season. While I think Amanda Waller and Task Force X are starting to overstay their welcome and I feel too many villains are becoming Krypton-enhanced goons, I was impressed that they series was willing to touch on the cruelty of the carceral system, especially since it clashes with the show's overall optimistic and humorous vibe.
I was kind of surprised they didn't dive deeper into it beyond that "these are non-violent offenders who can't afford" bail line...
Yeah, I'm not a fan of treating Darkseid as any other of the big bads in the DC universe. It's why I wasn't in a rush to see him "defeated" in Young Justice like many people wanted. Although it'd be interesting to contrast this more lighthearted version of Superman against him.
I think by that point people were more ready to be done with The Light :rolleyes2:.

Nobodyman

Wasn't able to watch this on Saturday since I was out of town, but here's my live commentary for my first viewing now.

Previously on Superman: Meeting your girlfriend's parents is always tough.

Everything's coming up Superman!

This is a dream sequence, isn't it?

"There...is...another...Kryp...tonian..."

It's a very Valentine's Day Superman Special!

Dang. Jimmy's loaded.

Good on ya Perry. Valentine's Day is fake holiday anyway.

Yeah, Jimmy, I'm sure that advice won't come back to bite you.

Lois and Jimmy knowing that Clark is Superman sure does make things a bit easier for him.

That's no meteor, it's a space station.

Great idea exploring the potentially dangerous alien spaceship.

So in this timeline it was war, not seismic explosions.

"Oh yeah, your cousin's alive. Didn't I mention that?"

Amanda Waller! :mad:

"Stay away from my girlfriend and my friend! ......in that order."

"I call myself the Incredibl H-"
"Shh! You wanna get sued?"

"I'm outnumbered, but not out...powered......shut up."

"Perhaps one day you'll forgive me for dying when our planet blew up."

I have a feeling everything's gonna be juuuuuust fine.

---

Next episode

Amanda's been reading self-help books.

And there's our plot for the episode.

"The intern's aren't listening to me!"
And thus the cycle continues.

Good thing that was unleaded paint.

"Okay, obviously I'll always catch you, but can you please stop putting yourself in mortal danger?"

Guards are dumb, Lois, but they're not that dumb.

Amanda don't play.

"Worst rescue ever!"

Family drama, and Sam doesn't even know the half of it.

Atomic Skull!

"No one would care if these people disappeared."
Yeah, maybe should have double-checked that guy's profile.

Jimmy's millions ain't gonna last long at this rate.

"It's against our code! Our ethics!"
Your mistake is assuming Waller has either of those.

Well, Clark, this'll be a good chance for Lois' dad to get to know you better.
"That's what I'm afraid of."

Lex Luthor!

Guess we're going with non-bald Jesse Eisenburg Luthor.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Previously on Superman: And you thought Shawshank was corrupt.

"Fullmetal Scientist"
I think Hiromu Arakawa is gonna sue someone.

Burning apartment building. Classic superhero scenario.

Cyborg's dad?

Jimmy and Lois's dad. Quite the odd couple.

John Henry Irons! Thankfully not played by Shaq.

Instead of fighting, maybe Lois and Vicki can bond over how they've both dated superheroes.

Interesting how Vicki looks more like classic Lois than...well, Lois.

Toonami game review!

Okay, the fact that Godzilla is in that game is more of a selling point than anything.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Oh, she's related to Irons. Small world.

Their boss is a jerk, but at least he's showing his support for pride month by dyeing his hair.

You'll like this girl. She's a real Live......well, you know.

It's Dr. Irons! And he's wearing an iron suit! He's a man in iron. An iron...man, if you will.

Make the suit a bit smaller, John, and I think you may have something here.

Sorry Vicki. Lois is where she belongs. Plus, she's already extraordinary.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Trust me John, you're better off not working for Lex.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Loved how it started off with a seemingly simply story of Superman saving people from fire but then the sinister turn with Livewire then a new corporation happens to come to town touting new robots and has an problem with missing robotics experts. And course the three leads have their own problems to deal with, too: Jimmy struggles with having a new roommate and leading his Flamebird division. Clark is yet again unable to get a word in with Lois about Kara and the Beacon and is against the deadline to publish an article. Lois and Vicki Vale get into old-fashioned reporter hijinks trying the nab the latest scoop but the former gets an offer that leaves her with uncertainty. In typical fashion, all three of their problems converge into one giant kerfuffle. All in a day's work for three best friends in Metropolis. Can't catch a break.

The pacing, drama, action, humor, world building, overarching threats, and balancing act of character arcs continue to be on point while the world of My Adventures With Superman continues to expand: this week is centered in the Bakerline neighborhood which was mentioned in the Zero Day 2 parter when Flip was helping look for Superman, the arrival of more DC characters in Silas Stone, John Henry Irons, Thomas Weston, AmerTek, and robots named after Metallo (like with Parasite suit). Out of the new characters, Weston is the most reimagined. Gone is the military background from the comics, Weston is a bombastic anime villain with pink hair who just wants to be top dog but almost blows up the city because of his desperation. Can't say I remember anything about the comic book Weston to critique. Silas Stone is a small presence in the episode but a point is made to mention he has a young son that's 9 or 10 and most DC fans know that's Victor Stone aka Cyborg. John Henry Irons is relatively unchanged, a scientist with ethics who finds out he's working for a corrupt company and takes matters into his own hands. Not to mention like with Stone, a famous relative of Irons is also mentioned - his niece Natasha who has had a very very short list of appearances in animation.

The subject of Clark's article is a nice callback and recurring theme from last season's penultimate episode "Zero Day Part 2" where the people of Metropolis rose up to the occasion and helped Superman defeat Ivo. Here we have John Henry Irons, a hero in his home community of Bakerline stepping up to help Superman save Metropolis from AmerFusion's meltdown. Returning from season one, Livewire appears to be operating as a powered mercenary for hire and we can assume Intergang and Heatwave may return in similar roles. Another interesting return is Superman's bio-electric aura, seemingly a nod to the gaggle of new powers All-Star Superman got in the comic when he was overcharged by the Sun. And just in time of its emergence, it comes in handy with the big threat of the episode. Perhaps more of Superman's powers will show up this season. And the big doozy, Lexcorp is officially founded and swallowing up companies for Task Force X starting with AmerTek.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.
It's been 17 years and 17 days since the Problem Solverz pilot for Adult Swim (Neon Knome) was made! Even though I do prefer the final product, I think this pilot would make for a good series on [as].
Episode 2 of The Amazing Digital Circus just crossed the 100 million views mark!

I dont know if CNNickFan is a new member or an old one I didnt notice before but I loved their post on Jamie Kellner. A much needed voice of Reason

Featured Posts