"My Adventures With Superman" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Season!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Emil Hamilton mention!
Pretty sure he had a cameo, the guy in the suit demo'ing the invisibility vest.

Has Lucy Lane ever been in a cartoon, at all?
Flashback in STAS "Monkey Fun"

The season-long issue of Clark and Lois just not having time to talk to each other about their arcs comes to a head this week. Clark accompanies Jimmy to the 23rd annual S.T.A.R. Labs Symposium where the latter is going to give a keynote speech. The who's who in the scientific and defense contractor industries show up, including the debuts of General Wade Eiling and Emile Hamilton, but it turns out Jimmy gets hoodwinked and the keynote speech is about the "Superman problem." To make matters worse, Lex Luthor is also part of the keynote and he quickly (and rather easily) sways the audience against Superman. And to make it even worse, Task Force X's battle with the Lanes spills into the building but by the time the symposium goers come outside, it's just Superman and wrecked displays. And he hears, albeit out of context, Lex thanking Jimmy for that advice (from the season opener). It all plays into Task Force X's hands and Hank Henshaw, General Eiling from the Pentagon, Mayor Fleming, and Senator Sackett throw in their support. Even worse so, Superman doesn't stay to hear the whole of Lois and Sam's conversation about him. Then Lois leaves a voicemail asking for a rain check on their roof top meet up. Feeling lower than low and completely alone, Superman activates the Beacon and calls out to Kara. The episode instead ends on the big bad seen in the season 1 finale show up to Earth.

As for Lois Lane, she grapples with confronting Sam Lane about always living on the run and not being completely open with her. While it seemed like she finally gets through to him, they are hunted at every turn by Damage, Atomic Skull, and Slade Wilson. Sam is driven by his desire to keep Lois safe that he's blind to how much she wants him in her life no matter the cost. He sees her battle scars from the battle at S.T.A.R. Labs and ultimately flees. The flashbacks to the camping trips Lois alluded to back in season one when she and Clark went to look for the missing Jimmy are the cornerstones of Lois's scenes and underpins how long it was just her and her dad and the slow build up of resentment and frustration she felt – not being told what was wrong with her mother, her mother's death, moving constantly, not having any long lasting friendships with anyone, and Sam closing up – all led to the schism talked about off and on in season one. And while it seemed like progress was finally made, Lois finds herself right back to where she was for the past couple years – on her own. WELL, NOT REALLY!!!

It was a frustrating episode. The trio has been pulled apart but they let it happen even though they should know they're at their strongest when they're together. Clark was right that Sam makes Lois feel small, and she totally should have been leaning on her boyfriend and Jimmy but she didn't and as a result, she got abandoned and burned for the umpteenth time. The passage of time is murky between these 4 episodes so it's hard to gauge the incredulity of Clark and Lois having no time to discuss using the Beacon to call out to Kara or not using it. They couldn't just text? Speaking of incredulity, on one hand you can give credit to Lex's silver tongue but on the other hand, the people at that symposium were really that gullible and after one out-of-context battle, are ready to ally themselves with Lex and his shady government pal? While sure, the citizens of Metropolis love Superman but we've had no real view point of him by big business or the government other than by the bad ones to justify this plot point. The private sector's been afraid of Superman this whole time? Shrug, guess so. Lex's twists Ivo's fall from grace as Superman's fault? Where the heck was Curtis, the board member Superman saved, at that symposium to refute Lex's lies? Or bring up Thomas Weston, the guy who almost blew up the city? Bottom line, if you didn't hate this show's Lex yet. By this episode, you should now.

Yes, Jimmy was a deer in headlights. He didn't think of outing Task Force X as the real reason for the 'parade of freaks and destruction'. Or how about mentioning the mercenary Leslie Willis who stole from them and started this whole mess? Sure Jimmy would be saying this without proof but Lex was talking in subjective hypotheticals catered right to the people in the audience. Jimmy was in a lose-lose situation the moment he accept the invite and he was hoisted on his own petard. Hopefully he learned a very important lesson that his position this season also made him a target and pawn of others. It's not all about self-indulgent purchases and he better pick himself up and be ready to play hard for the rest of the season.

Looking ahead, stands to reason our three leads will reunite, apologize profusely to each other, and deal with the threats at hand. But with 6 episodes to go, feels like the showrunners are going to keep torturing them before that happens. With the arrival of the Kryptonian warrior, I hope Lex literally eats his words "Task Force X has an alien solution" and they are totally outgunned and left in a lurch. As for our big bad, what will he/she/they/it do? What or who is the target: Superman or Earth? We saw Brainiac and the warrior razing a planet in the season one finale but are they more intrigued by Kryptonian tech being used to send out a signal across space than planetary conquest? Will Kara come? Is Kara really this armored warrior? Is she brainwashed by Brainiac? It feels like revelations are just around the corner... Oh yeah, and they remade Toyman into a mustache grandpa war buddy of Sam's who runs the pawn shop that Heatwave tried to knock over in season 1, ha ha!

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

Flashback in STAS "Monkey Fun"

I hadn't seen that one in a decade and a half, and I was trying to remember if she was in it. It's interesting that after 14 episodes, this show has already been the one to go the most in depth with Lois' backstory.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
"Two Lanes Diverged" was pretty good. A bit more dramatic than the previous episodes but still entertaining. I liked the focus on Lois and her dad (as the title implies), it was nice seeing some of Lois' background and what motivates her. Sam leaving at the end of the episode was kind of predictable but I doubt we have seen the last of him.

It was also nice seeing Clark & Jimmy reminisce about their friendship for a while and I presume they might circle back to Jimmy saving his life again by the end of the season. The STAR Labs symposium was a neat idea but the debate regarding Superman could have worked better.

Lex is making his official debut as a villain and now has even more supporters to back him up. The Task Force X members were fine opponents, not a lot to comment on them this time but I did like how Sam stood up to them and the short team up he had with Superman. Winslow Schott was a surprise, as was the exploding teddy bear.

The ending was dramatic with Clark not hearing all Lois had to say (couldn't he just accidentally hear it with his super hearing or something?). Contacting Kara was understandable but we'll see how things play out. Either way I look forward to seeing her in action.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Whenever Clark is feeling accepted, it seems as though something will happen to make him feel like an outcast again. How have he and Lois not found a solid five minutes where they can hash things out?
Modern adult problems of not being good at communicating...
I wonder what kind of guilt Jimmy is feeling for giving Superman's future greatest foe the confidence boost he needed.
I definitely got the sense that the guilt of motivating Luthor to get to this point, after just espousing how much he's always saved and helped Clark, was why he ran off.
Kara's debut should be fun.
Hope Jimmy survives the experience :p.
Ah, now that you mention it, I had the same thought :).
It was a frustrating episode. The trio has been pulled apart but they let it happen even though they should know they're at their strongest when they're together. Clark was right that Sam makes Lois feel small, and she totally should have been leaning on her boyfriend and Jimmy but she didn't and as a result, she got abandoned and burned for the umpteenth time. The passage of time is murky between these 4 episodes so it's hard to gauge the incredulity of Clark and Lois having no time to discuss using the Beacon to call out to Kara or not using it. They couldn't just text? Speaking of incredulity, on one hand you can give credit to Lex's silver tongue but on the other hand, the people at that symposium were really that gullible and after one out-of-context battle, are ready to ally themselves with Lex and his shady government pal? While sure, the citizens of Metropolis love Superman but we've had no real view point of him by big business or the government other than by the bad ones to justify this plot point. The private sector's been afraid of Superman this whole time? Shrug, guess so. Lex's twists Ivo's fall from grace as Superman's fault? Where the heck was Curtis, the board member Superman saved, at that symposium to refute Lex's lies? Or bring up Thomas Weston, the guy who almost blew up the city? Bottom line, if you didn't hate this show's Lex yet. By this episode, you should now.
I think we're going to see the drama take to the point where Clark gets dragged into space before they can hash things out and Jimmy and Lois will have to commit to going into space to save him and make him realize he still has a place with them on Earth.

People of Metropolis acting like they've from the Marvel Universe...
Yes, Jimmy was a deer in headlights. He didn't think of outing Task Force X as the real reason for the 'parade of freaks and destruction'. Or how about mentioning the mercenary Leslie Willis who stole from them and started this whole mess? Sure Jimmy would be saying this without proof but Lex was talking in subjective hypotheticals catered right to the people in the audience. Jimmy was in a lose-lose situation the moment he accept the invite and he was hoisted on his own petard. Hopefully he learned a very important lesson that his position this season also made him a target and pawn of others. It's not all about self-indulgent purchases and he better pick himself up and be ready to play hard for the rest of the season.
It reminded me in season 1 how Jimmy and Lois did a terrible job defending Superman from Vicki and Lex when they brought up very construed versions of the events of season 1.
Looking ahead, stands to reason our three leads will reunite, apologize profusely to each other, and deal with the threats at hand. But with 6 episodes to go, feels like the showrunners are going to keep torturing them before that happens. With the arrival of the Kryptonian warrior, I hope Lex literally eats his words "Task Force X has an alien solution" and they are totally outgunned and left in a lurch. As for our big bad, what will he/she/they/it do? What or who is the target: Superman or Earth? We saw Brainiac and the warrior razing a planet in the season one finale but are they more intrigued by Kryptonian tech being used to send out a signal across space than planetary conquest? Will Kara come? Is Kara really this armored warrior? Is she brainwashed by Brainiac? It feels like revelations are just around the corner... Oh yeah, and they remade Toyman into a mustache grandpa war buddy of Sam's who runs the pawn shop that Heatwave tried to knock over in season 1, ha ha!
I think we'll probably see Task Force X and Lex's hair destroyed in the process of trying to stop Brainiac to set up Lex going full Luthor for season 3.

I think Brainiac's main motivation is carrying out it's programming and serving the Kryptonian Empire by continuing to conquer worlds, even though there's no actual Kryptonians (other than Clark and Kara) to make use of it.

I'm not 100% sure Kara is the armored warrior. Even without knowing what we know from the series bible, I don't think she needs such top-heavy armor and we saw in the Toonami preview she had that black suit which might be her initial suit. I'm assuming she's serving Brainiac thinking that he's acting in the best interest of Krypton because she doesn't know any better.

That's cool that they connected Toyman back to season 1 but it's yet another underwhelming villain revamp.
Lex is making his official debut as a villain and now has even more supporters to back him up. The Task Force X members were fine opponents, not a lot to comment on them this time but I did like how Sam stood up to them and the short team up he had with Superman. Winslow Schott was a surprise, as was the exploding teddy bear.
I'm really tired of Superman continuing to struggle against Task Force X. I feel like he should be much better at fighting them at this point, or at the very least it feels like they keep downplaying how effective Superman gets to be to make other characters stand out more.

The teddy bear exploding was the most legit Toyman moment in the whole episode :p.
The ending was dramatic with Clark not hearing all Lois had to say (couldn't he just accidentally hear it with his super hearing or something?). Contacting Kara was understandable but we'll see how things play out. Either way I look forward to seeing her in action.
I assume he directed his super-hearing away from her apartment because he didn't want to hear what else she and her dad might say about him.

Last edited:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Man I really don't like this version of Lex Luthor, it reminds of BvS where I just feel more annoyed by him if anything.

Lex's arguments that Superman is actually dangerous should at least to some extent sound convincing, this guy doesn't have that, he was just going against Jimmy who couldn't point out the obvious flaws in his logic

Frontier

Staff member
Man I really don't like this version of Lex Luthor, it reminds of BvS where I just feel more annoyed by him if anything.

Lex's arguments that Superman is actually dangerous should at least to some extent sound convincing, this guy doesn't have that, he was just going against Jimmy who couldn't point out the obvious flaws in his logic
The main characters are terrible debaters :p.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I noticed in one of the flashbacks to young Lois in "Two Lanes Diverged" has mentions of how she had friends named Izzy and Kirsten. I'm pretty sure this is a reference to the graphic novel "Lois Lane And The Friendship Challenge" (which I got for Christmas), where she does have two friends named Kirsten Li and Izzy Kent. I think this is the first time anything from that graphic novel was mentioned in other media.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I noticed in one of the flashbacks to young Lois in "Two Lanes Diverged" has mentions of how she had friends named Izzy and Kirsten. I'm pretty sure this is a reference to the graphic novel "Lois Lane And The Friendship Challenge" (which I got for Christmas), where she does have two friends named Kirsten Li and Izzy Kent. I think this is the first time anything from that graphic novel was mentioned in other media.
Lois even has a conspiracy board, too, of sorts in that graphic novel if I remember right.

Frontier

Staff member
She also had a ponytail in that book like she did in the flashback :).

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"My Adventures with Superman: “Two Lanes Diverged” Episode Recap"​

My-Adventures-with-Superman-Two-Lanes-Diverged-Clark-and-Jimmy.jpg

"Previously – Sam Lane was freed from Task Force X’s secret prison and went into hiding in Clark and Jimmy’s apartment. Superman recovered a beacon that could help him locate his cousin, but he was unable to tell Lois because everyone was busy dealing with Amertek’s new facility in Metropolis and its dangerous and unstable fusion core. John Irons became Steel, but he quickly lost his armor when Amertek was acquired by Lex Luthor, who added their resources to Task Force X’s growing arsenal.

Clark and Jimmy are called back to their apartment by Sam Lane, who has been worried about a van parked outside. Sam has barricaded the apartment and jumps when someone arrives at the door. It turns out that it’s a delivery man who has something for Jimmy. S.T.A.R. Labs has sent a talking holographic orb to him inviting him to their 23rd symposium as a keynote speaker. Being Superman’s best friend, Jimmy is considered an expert on alien life. Sam gets a text warning “they’re on to you.”"

Read the full review here.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
Sam's gone already? I was hoping for more of him living with Clark and Jimmy.

I loved Clark and Jimmy's friendship in this one. Although it feels disconnected from the Clark/Lois/Beacon story.

It was slightly off-screen and they speedran it a little, but Lex is now more or less in his traditional role as an influential and charismatic figure in Metropolis whose main issue with Superman is a "What If" where he blames him, and his status as an alien, for everything wrong with Metropolis and starts turning the people against him. He even said he should "go back home" and leave Earth to Earthlings. Yeah, that's Lex Luthor.

That's Toyman? Just...some old dude? I mean, at least he still makes weaponized toys and turned on Sam, so still not a great guy, but kind of underwhelmed.

Sam in action is cool and all but can we just have Superman wrecking villains at this point? I'm kind of bored with him struggling against Task Force X.

Lex turning the public against Superman and he credits Jimmy with it and calls him his "pal." Jimmy running away in embarrassment really did not help that moment.

Yeah, that's Lex all right. He made good points, but he goes too far and is blaming Superman for things out of his control. I kind of had trouble reading his words to Jimmy. Was he being smug about thanking him? That's what it seemed like, but it could have been sincere...right?

As for Toyman, maybe we are yet to meet a certain Winslow Schott Jr.

Izzy...Kent? Who?!

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I was also wondering if they were setting up Toyman's son. Similar to how on Superman TAS he wanted revenge for what happened to his father. They had a Schott Jr. on Supergirl too, but he was a more of a good guy. That could work here as well I guess.

He felt more like Jimmy than Jimmy outside of his bursts of tech genius.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts