"Naruto Shippuden" Disney XD Talkback: Immortal Devastators Arc

O-chan

Just how crazy does it get from here on out ? I haven't seen any of the uncut episodes myself. The only program I've really been able to judge how far DXD would go with their content has been the Planet Hulk movie which is pretty moderately edited though some of the brutal stuff is still in there.

This arc acted as an acid test to how much violence DXD could handle. It's going to become much more problematic in later arcs because you have eye gouging, increased body counts, and other stuff. It's not a blood bath but assuming Disney continues this for a few years to whole "no corpses" rule will slap them in the face hard much later down the road. I liked CNs rules because they allowed for a little flexibility to push things when they needed to be pushed, but DXD is making this affect the quality of the anime. Oh well, the uncut versions are on DVD and stream online so...

O-chan

Lord Mawdryn

Board Bad Boy
Just how crazy does it get from here on out ?
We see a lot more people getting impaled, bleeding, and dying. Not exactly the best lead-in to Phinneas and Ferb, IMO.

I'm surprised there isn't a nationwide parents' group boycott movement against the stuff they've shown already. "There's too much violence on Disney XD!"

Mandouga

That may have been why it was moved to 11:00 PM in the first place: so such a thing wouldn't happen...

In any case, the fact that the movie is airing befoe 11:00 PM suggests to me that this may be on a case-by-case basis. This means that they may move the show back to an earlier hour if things start "dying down" later on. OTOH, I get the feeling that that won't be happening...

Butterstar

Bring Sakura back to the US!
I was just about to say Naruto: Shippuden: The Movie was scheduled for tomorrow night. Wonder how much will be edited, since a big plot of this film is death.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Planet Hulk got away with a lot of death (including the main villain getting flamebroiled). Maybe they'll be more lenient on the Shippuden movie because it's a film.

One thing DXD was reluctant to show with Planet Hulk was people getting stabbed to death. They always shortened or cut away (obviously and awkwardly in one instance) when those happened. They had no problems with people getting crushed by things, being mutilated by the Spikes, or with the main villain becoming a pot roast.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Okay, DXD is okay with a character dying onscreen . . . but WON'T SHOW HOW HE GOT KILLED.

BREAKS THE TIME-SPACE CONTINUUM OH NOES

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
I'm going to say this about the movie (you guys did see it right?): Laura Bailey single-handedly makes Shion the best Naruto filler or movie-only character so far. There's just something about her delivery and her voice that makes Shion stand out more. There's a genuine vulnerability that makes Shion come off more sympathetically.

Also impressive, if only for a brief time, is how Bailey handled Shion's mother. She used her Lust voice and made it . . . not-Lust-y. It would've been creepy if the same sincerity she put into Shion wasn't also put into the mother.

It was also amusing to hear Daran Norris voice the first anime he's done in a decade (he played some small parts in Cowboy Bebop years and years ago). Granted, he was just hamming it up but Norris is one of the best at that.

Vic Mignogna was also completely unrecognizable as Yomi. I didn't even know it was him until I looked up the dub cast credits. He also rivaled Norris in the chewing scenery department.

If the whole movie had been Norris' Moryu and Mignogna's Yomi devouring the scenery and spitting it out, this would've been a great movie just for the fun factor. Instead . . . it's just another blah Naruto movie. Visuals picked up from the third movie some, though, and the music was really good. But in the end it's fairly blah.

It was kinda weird to see DXD let a visual of impaled Naruto slide, though. Make up your minds on what stays and what goes already.

Lord Mawdryn

Board Bad Boy
It was kinda weird to see DXD let a visual of impaled Naruto slide, though. Make up your minds on what stays and what goes already.
Yeah, X-D keeping that scene surprised me too.

The regular weekly show has a TV-PG rating, while the movie had a TV-PG-V rating. The difference doesn't really mean a great deal, but it does specify its rating is due to violent content. That one brief scene might have been the justification for it, IMO.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
DXD just yanked Shippuden from Saturday night's schedule. So there's no premiere this week.

Should we fear the worst?

Butterstar

Bring Sakura back to the US!
Oh, no. First Ani-Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/whatever gets yanked (I stopped watching it when Chrono Crusade was pulled though), and now Naruto disappears.

Mandouga

Both my digital cable and Disney XD's website (though Zap2It) are still saying that the premiere will happen. macattack, where did you hear it from?

EDIT: Never mind. I saw it on the sidebar just now under Schedules. I wonder if this just means that cable listings just haven't been updated yet.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
This seems to indicate it will be airing this Saturday and next Saturday and we don't have listing for the week after quite yet (or rather I don't know how to get listings for beyond that)

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/naruto-shippuden/EP01187154

I usually trust zap2it over the cable box schedule. I ended up with some Johnny Test episodes when I should have gotten Sym-Bionic Titan according to that thing. I was not very happy about that as you can imagine.

But I see that the TZ schedule updated to show Zeke and Luthor replacing Naruto Shippuden this Saturday. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:

Beat

Retired
I'm surprised it took them this long to axe it. The censorship must be problematic, the profit line is a losing proposition vs their homegrown properties, and I can't recall the ratings being all that hot. Merit of the show aside, this is just good business.

aegisrawks

Damn, this is sad. Im not a big Naruto fan but it was one of the last non toyetic anime on tv and provided a nice respite from the usual DXD Fare.

I really hope The Hub gets it, It the last hope for the Naruto anime's last hope.

Dragnatek

Damn, this is sad. Im not a big Naruto fan but it was one of the last non toyetic anime on tv and provided a nice respite from the usual DXD Fare.

I really hope The Hub gets it, It the last hope for the Naruto anime's last hope.

And Nicktoons, if DBZ Kai is any indication.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts