Nightmare Fuel in Cartoons

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I think that the old Dungeons & Dragons series had lots of great nightmarish moments. One of my favorites was at the beginning of the episode "City At The Edge Of Midnight", where the kid is dragged under his bed by something unseen and his father is too late to save him. Mighty Max was another series that I thought did pretty well in the creepy department but it's tough remembering specific moments (why isn't this on dvd ?). One that really spooked me was the episode with a European town overrun by a people consuming blob. The really haunting part for me was seeing the victims' traumatized faces trapped in the monster's exterior.

I always hated the idea of giant sized animals and lots of stuff in Princess Mononoke still make my skin crawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanBurrito25

Oh yeah, Lampwick transforming (albeit painfully nonetheless) in a donkey scarred me big time. It still creeps me out today.
And Monstro the whale....oh God.

mariobro27

there are two in particular I remember...

there was an episode from the Simpsons that, when I was little, scarred the crap out of me! dont remember the title, all I remember from the plot was Homer walking home from Moe's to find an alien *spoiler alert* that later turned out to be Mr. Burns. that Alien made me too scarred to make it through the episode...

that, and a Courage the Cowardly Dog episode (again, I dont remember the the title or much of the plot...) where Eustace steals a tablet from a mummy's tomb. that CGI monster was what made me too scarred to watch the show again. later turned out to be one of my favorite Cartoon Cartoon's...

as you can tell, I was easily scarred as a child...

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Four words: The Brave Little Toaster. I never saw that movie in its entirety when I was a kid 'cause I kept hiding my face in the nearest blanket I could get my hands on. I had no idea there were so many horrific ways for household appliances to meet their doom.
I saw Toaster when it premiered on the Disney Channel at age five, and I took it just fine. Even the clown. But I'll tell you what freaked me out around the same time....seeing Judge Doom's "real eyes" in Roger Rabbit, and I'm not alone in this.

A good TV example was the screenshot of Bugs Bunny as "Wolvertooth" from the Pluck Twacy cartoon on Tiny Toons. Bugs with multiple sharp teeth is not a pleasant sight. I still can't look at that.

Rick: The Dungeons and Dragons cartoon IS on DVD. Twice. Get the first company's version if you can.

savedbythebell

Phoenix Wright fanboy
The hitchhiker in Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation. thats the only cartoon that actually gave me nightmares.

Gorbash

Munchings & Crunchings
Fantasia Night on Bald Mountain. If that didn't frighten you as a child then you were pretty fearless.

King Ramses was the only thing in Courage the Cowardly Dog that frightened me to no end; oh the nightmares.

The wolves in Beauty and the Beast scared me and the shark in the little mermaid.

The funny thing is, I've been scared of Disney movies before and the only time I wasn't scared was in Dumbo, despite everyone stating how horrifying the Pink Elephants are.

Scirel

WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
When I first saw Toy Story at age 3, the toys in Sid's Room scared the crap out of me.

Even though I was a bit older when I saw it, that scene was really disturbing to me(The baby head spider the most by far), as well as the scene where the toys attack Sid.

I`m glad they removed both of those concepts from Toy Story 2. I love TS2 but still have trouble watching the original today.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
A good TV example was the screenshot of Bugs Bunny as "Wolvertooth" from the Pluck Twacy cartoon on Tiny Toons. Bugs with multiple sharp teeth is not a pleasant sight. I still can't look at that.
I've said this before, but I thought the design for Wolvertooth was (and is) hilarious. I burst out laughing every time I see it, probably because of the very reason you despise it: It's Bugs with vicious teeth. So surreal.

Blipsy

Tara's been a bad girl
When I was really little, I was absolutely terrified of "The Nightmare Before Christmas." I had never even seen the movie at the time, but I saw the trailer on one of my Disney videos, and it just creeped me out. When I got a little older, I finally saw it, and ironically, it's now one of my favorite animated movies.

The "Pink Elephants On Parade" sequence in "Dumbo" also made me uneasy, especially when this guy appeared on screen!

But the worst a cartoon ever scared me was in the Simpsons Treehouse Of Horror episode with the evil Krusty doll. I was only about 4 or 5 when I saw it, and the idea of a doll coming to life, trying to stab me, and forcing me to eat dog feed made me uneasy around some of my toys for quite a while.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
I've said this before, but I thought the design for Wolvertooth was (and is) hilarious. I burst out laughing every time I see it, probably because of the very reason you despise it: It's Bugs with vicious teeth. So surreal.

It's even funnier if you know the reference to Basil Wolverton's exaggeratedly grotesque cartooning style. (I'm pretty sure the character's name is Wolvertoon, by the way, which makes the reference even more apparent.) I have to admit, before I looked up his work, I thought Lena Hyena was created for Who Framed Roger Rabbit - I had no idea she predated the film by 42 years.

But I digress...

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
It's even funnier if you know the reference to Basil Wolverton's exaggeratedly grotesque cartooning style. (I'm pretty sure the character's name is Wolvertoon, by the way, which makes the reference even more apparent.) I have to admit, before I looked up his work, I thought Lena Hyena was created for Who Framed Roger Rabbit - I had no idea she predated the film by 42 years.

But I digress...
Ha! I didn't know that. Based on a sketch down the page, I'm pretty sure that was an intentional design choice. This kind of thing is why I love TTA, warts and all- you learn something new about it all the time.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Charlie's nightmare from All Dogs Go To Heaven: I first saw this movie when I was around eight or nine and seeing that nightmare of heck was pretty scary. I've seen the movie a couple of more times and that scene doesn't scare me, although I think it will be a long time before I could watch the movie again due to its sadness.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: I didn't see this movie until a few years ago, but just the imagery from the commercials and the video case scared me. It just looked so creepy that I didn't want to watch it. Once I saw on Disney Channel, I thought that it was pretty good and not as scary as I thought it would be.

JD08

Cell and Frieza used to give me terrible nightmares. Cell nightmares would usually end with him trying to blow up the world and me cowering in fear :eek:. And Frieza nightmares would end with him looking for me in a bar while he ignores all the drunkards making comments to him even a trashy girl or 2 hitting on him.:sweat:

Mandi-chan

I remember getting scared while watching the Rugrats episode where Chuckie gets his big boy bed...the monster sweater freaked me out.

Then, there was an scene from an early Simpsons ep that disturbed me (I was really young at the time, wasn't supposed to be watching the show and don't remember how it came about me seeing it at all...); where Homer, while in the garage (I think), gets hit in the head with a red can of paint and is knocked out while the paint spills out and down a drain. I thought he had died!

I also remember being frightened by Charlie's dream in All Dogs Go To Heaven, and by Oogie's death in Nightmare Before Christmas.

PC!

lolwut?
I remember getting scared while watching the Rugrats episode where Chuckie gets his big boy bed...the monster sweater freaked me out.

Ha ha, I remember that scene. It wouldn't be so freaky if it wasn't so sudden. The music is all quiet as Chuckie looks under the bed, and then a quick cut to a freaky-looking monster as the music starts blaring!

When Rugrats wanted to freak kids out, I'd say it succeeded more often than not.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
The last sequence of Fantasia. For years as a child, I would always, ALWAYS stop at the hippo/crocodile ballet routine because I just couldn't stomach the floating living deads conjured by this demonic creature set to the tune of the world's scariest classical music.

Also, and I know this is silly, but until I was older, I couldn't see one sequence in Disney's Cinderella. The scene where Lady Tremaine gets a shadowy face when she suspects Cinderella as the mysterious girl with the prince during the ball, the moment before she locks Cindy in her room. God, her eyes. Just her eyes. If Disney was going for a subtle, but threatening feel, he succeeded.

CartoonOverlord

Head of HATE
Ha ha, I remember that scene. It wouldn't be so freaky if it wasn't so sudden. The music is all quiet as Chuckie looks under the bed, and then a quick cut to a freaky-looking monster as the music starts blaring!

When Rugrats wanted to freak kids out, I'd say it succeeded more often than not.
That didn't scare me, but the episode where Chuckie has recurring nightmares did. Nightmare Tommy terrified me as a little kid.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts