Nightmare Fuel in Cartoons

Zorak Masaki

I can't believe I forgot to mention the donkey transformation scene in Pinocchio! It's the most terrifying scene in any Disney film (to me, anyway).

You think thats bad? Try watching Pinnochio and the Emperor of the Night (paticularly the scene where he is turned back INTO a puppet). Maybe its a good thing BCI never got to releasing that onto dvd (just kidding BCIGuy!).

Marvin Tikvah

A lot of stuff from classic Disney animation certainly gave me the creeps. Pinnochio has already been mentioned, but it merits being repeated. The donkey transformation and that huge whale are absolutely frightening.

I also feel like mentioning James and the Giant Peach, which was partly animated. The CGI parts have some really creepy subjects, such as that killer Rhino from the sky, that mechanical shark in the sea, the skeleton pirates under the ice, and that dream sequence in stop motion. I'm not even sure how I sat through that entire movie.

Also, that Treehouse of Horror story where the kids of Springfield Elementary are being eaten by the staff. Horrifying, but the end sequence with the family getting skinned inside out and Bart getting dragged off and possibly eaten by his dog. Worst ending to any Simpsons Halloween episode ever.

Alph

When I clicked on my thread, one thing came to mind. An anime I saw when I was about four or five years old. It depicted the hiroshima bombing.

I looked it up, and I found it. Here it is (warning: very graphic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJZ6nwxD38

Freaked me out like nobody's business. I remember screaming bloody murder as soon as I realized what was happening to the little girl.

But I think it had a good effect on me, in the long run, because it helped ground my sense of reality. We're all just flesh and bones, after all.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
Also, that Treehouse of Horror story where the kids of Springfield Elementary are being eaten by the staff. Horrifying, but the end sequence with the family getting skinned inside out and Bart getting dragged off and possibly eaten by his dog. Worst ending to any Simpsons Halloween episode ever.

"Treehouse of Horror V" was kind of a landmark in Simpsons history, as it was the first Halloween special where they totally threw out the pretense of making these episodes somewhat canonical (the first four Halloween shows presented the stories as being told by the characters or as dream sequences; the fifth one was the first to abandon that premise), and thus decided to start doing absolutely anything and everything within the confines of the episode. I think that's why "Nightmare Cafeteria" is so over the top in its violence - the writers were so giddy with freedom and excitement, they probably started going "Okay, who should we kill off next?"

I won't deny that it's a scary segment, though. If I'd seen it when I was a kid (it aired in 1994, which would have put me at seven years old), it would have scared the hell out of me, and I doubt I would have been able to eat in the cafeteria ever again.

JD08

All the old Treehouses of Horror were scary to me not Nightmarish but like scary after-thoughts that would always linger. Like when I first saw Homer 3D I was terrified nobody saved him and he went into the real world (Which also scared me when he was there).

Philmister978

Alvight, you vin
Despite it not scaring me at all, I'm pretty sure that Transformers: The Movie might have a few nightmarish scenes in it (Prime, Starscream and Unicron's deaths *Starscream's especially*, In general, I think Unicron was scary for younger audiences. Think about it, he eats planets, looks scary and kills people)

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Despite it not scaring me at all, I'm pretty sure that Transformers: The Movie might have a few nightmarish scenes in it (Prime, Starscream and Unicron's deaths *Starscream's especially*, In general, I think Unicron was scary for younger audiences. Think about it, he eats planets, looks scary and kills people)

I love the frozen look on Starscream's face after he's blasted, though it does remind me of the trolls on David the Gnome's show. While it meant that the gnomes got to live another day, I always felt bad when one of the trolls turned to stone.

Philmister978

Alvight, you vin
I love the frozen look on Starscream's face after he's blasted, though it does remind me of the trolls on David the Gnome's show. While it meant that the gnomes got to live another day, I always felt bad when one of the trolls turned to stone.

You mean this:

Starscram.png

Napalm Jim

A few of mine are repeats, but here are the toons that freaked me out when I was little:

The Secret of Nimh-
The scene where Mrs Brisby goes to see the Great Owl gave me some serious heebie-jeebies. Between the upside down head, the glowing eyes and the squished spider, I was pretty thoroughly freaked out. Didn't stop me from watching that movie over and over though.:D

Pinocchio-
Yeah, the whole donkey-fication scenes were seriously jacked up. Pretty good propaganda to keep kids away from tobacco and alcohol, though.

Watership Down-
Too much blood and too many dead rabbits. I still shudder thinking back on this one.

Fantastic Planet-
Any scene from this movie. My parents rented this thing back when I was a wee punk and I remember them telling me that I was way too young to watch it with 'em. I somehow managed to convince them that I was plenty mature enough to handle it and that I wouldn't be one bit scared.
Oh man, was I ever wrong.

Told my folks I was tired, bailed on the movie and went to bed very early. Haven't wanted to see it since, which might be a shame since a lot folks say it's a well done animated film. But still, definitely nightmare fuel.

FGfan

Y'all who mentioned Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night: I recently dug that one up on Youtube. If I'd seen that as a kid, I think I'd be in an asylum right now.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that as a kid, I found many of the Treehouse of Horror episodes upsetting.

On anime: no character has had me quite as wide-eyed as Mayuri Kurotsuchi. Most sadistic bastard in an anime ever. At least that I've seen.

Bloody Marquis

Quite smashing, eh?
I saw a bit of Barefoot Gen featuring the Hiroshima bombings. It had footage of an old man, a girl, a mother and her baby, and a dog burning to death with their eyes melting. Suffice to say, I couldn't sleep the night after watching that.

Mcready

You think thats bad? Try watching Pinnochio and the Emperor of the Night (paticularly the scene where he is turned back INTO a puppet). Maybe its a good thing BCI never got to releasing that onto dvd (just kidding BCIGuy!).

HOLY CRAP, Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night scared the bejesus out of me when i was a kid back in 1987 at age 6. I saw that in a theater because i loved the disney version of Pinocchio and you are sooo right, the scene where Puppetino turning Pinocchio into a puppet was horrifying as hell. It made my heart race with fear including pure scariness, even a few scary stuff like the beer hallucination. Anchor Bay/Starz owns the rights to Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night and they should release it in a special edition with audio commentary including a featurette and a little thing on how they scared kids with this movie, publicity materials and Trailers.

They do own New World Pictures movies.

Alph

I saw a bit of Barefoot Gen featuring the Hiroshima bombings. It had footage of an old man, a girl, a mother and her baby, and a dog burning to death with their eyes melting. Suffice to say, I couldn't sleep the night after watching that.

That's the same thing I posted earlier in the topic.

I have to say, not many other cartoons were able to scare me after I'd seen a little a girl's eyes melt out of her face.

Itchy

Scratchy's enemy
Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit.
Remember me Eddie? When I killed your brother and I talked ...just ..like ..THIS!

stephane dumas

The 1967-70 Spider-man episode "Revolt in the Fifth Dimension" who was a sort of remake by borrowing lots of stock footage of the Rocket Robin Hood episode "Dementia Five" was very spooky and nightmarish theme with the main vilain Infinita bring Spidey in the Fifth Dimension with the surrounding background and spooky music especially when the door's knob became a hand who caught Spidey's arm and pull him in Dementia Five.

Goldorak(UFO Robot Grendizer) got its share of nightfuel episodes as well, one in particuliar: episode 25 known in French as "Les amoureux d'Euphor"(litteral translation:Lovers from Euphor), Aphelie (Naida) menaged to trumatize Actarus (Duke Fleed) by telling he was the traitor who killed his brother because she mentionned then King Vega put the brain of all inhabitans from Euphor into each one of the "golgoths" (Vegan's robot saucer animals) and the very first one then Actarus fighted with his robot Goldorak contained the brain of Aphelie's brother. That declaration put Actarus in a state of shock. But later Aphelie full of remorse decided to sacrifice herself. Actarus was back to a normal condition and saw powerless, Aphelie's sacrifice.

Mcready

Coraline was suprisingly disturbing for a family animated mvoie, i was suprised at that.

How about the stuff in Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend? even all that demon tentacle rape stuff or people being murdered?

Now here's the horrifying scene mentioned for Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night which terrified any child back in the late 80's giving them haunted nights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLhGj-DQ_o

Disturbing, wasn't it?

FGfan

Coraline was suprisingly disturbing for a family animated mvoie, i was suprised at that.

How about the stuff in Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend? even all that demon tentacle rape stuff or people being murdered?

Now here's the horrifying scene mentioned for Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night which terrified any child back in the late 80's giving them haunted nights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLhGj-DQ_o

Disturbing, wasn't it?

Oh cod, that's just plain wrong in so many ways. And just when I was about to go to bed....(and this is coming from an adult...)

Seriously, that whole movie is nightmare fuel, but that's just the absolute worst. That guy's a pedophile, I swear...

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure. All of it.

End of Evangelion. All of it. ESPECIALLY the second half.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts