"Pryde of the X-Men" Classic Talkback (Spoilers)

"Pryde of the X-Men" - Rate & Comment

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 7 20.6%

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 6 17.6%

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss this classic X-Men adventure!

"Pryde of the X-Men"
Release Date: 1989

The Brotherhood of Terrorist Mutants has only one goal: to destroy the human race and make them slaves. Luckily for the humans, there is a group of mutants who use their superpowers for good... The X-Men!

Comments?

Ssrn53

Pryde of the X-men has the best animation of any marvel cartoon produced then or since. It rivals X-men Evolution's animation and tops Batman the animated series. I prefer the John Byrne like art style of Pryde over Evo's Disney like animation. I think the Pryde pilot episode wasn't picked up because maybe because the animation work was expensive.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
The Pryde Pilot wasn't picked up because at that point, NBC (which was going to be doing the series) decided they wanted more cutesy Smurf like programs and didn't pick it up, along with the proposed Teen Titans series.

Papa Smurf was a powerful foe back then...

Mister Intensity

Tobias said:
The Pryde Pilot wasn't picked up because at that point, NBC (which was going to be doing the series) decided they wanted more cutesy Smurf like programs and didn't pick it up, along with the proposed Teen Titans series.

Papa Smurf was a powerful foe back then...

Actually, that's the reason why NBC didn't pick up an earlier attempt at a X-Men series, as well New Teen Titans, around 1983. The pilot for that series is the "X-Men Adventure" episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

Mister Intensity

Ssrn53

Of course we all know that about 3 or four years after Pryde, NBC decided not to show Saturday morning cartoons at all in favor of news programs. Soon after, CBS did the same thing. NBC was the King of saturday morning cartoons in the 80's. Anyone remember the Mr.T cartoon?

Artemis

For Great Justice!!
I've always wanted to see this, but copies are so goshdarn hard to find!

Well....maybe I could try "other" methods.... :evil:

Ssrn53

Wolverine's voice didn't bother me that much even though I knew it wasn't true to the comic. Though his accent was wrong, his intensity and rage were captured perfectly. I still prefer this accented wolvie over evo's softer wolverine. Wolverine as a teacher? C'mon Logan has too much emotional baggage to be bothered with teaching or being a nanny to a bunch of teens. By the way did anyone notice that the wolverine that appeared in "Spiderman and his amazing friends" Juggernaut episode also had the austrailian accent. Maybe it was same actor in Pryde. I'm referring to the Amazing Friends episode where they pull off Juggernaut's mask at the end.

czyznyck99

Certainly a strange episode, especially once you have played the original arcade game. The characters were okay, but they were all just there. Kitty seemed to stand out obviously (she made a better kid member than Jubilee), but the first episode didn't do much. That said, the animation was very good for 1989.

Later.

Spidey2099

Originally Posted by Artemis:

I've always wanted to see this, but copies are so goshdarn hard to find!

There is a video that I bought within the last few years at Best Buy (it was well hidden) showcasing various Marvel toons from the seventies and eighties. It's called Marvel Matinee: Three Super Hero Adventures. On it is The Original X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men, Spider-Man (1980's): Bubble, Bubble, Oil and Trouble, and the Fantastic Four (1970's): The Frightful Four.

Sort of off topic, but the funniest scene in this video is in the Spider-Man episode. Doctor Octopus handcuffs Spider-Man to the rung of a ladder in a sewer, leaving Spidey to his fate as the sewer floods with water. In order to escape, Spidey sees a nearby beaker of sulfuric acid (I'm not joking--the bottle was filled to the brim with no cork on it, right-side up, underwater! :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lizard

Will Gladly Pay You Tuesday
I've never seen this before, but I'd like to. Just one question, is Pyro in it?? just wondering.

-The Lizard :D (Formerly TonyOctober)

Spidey2099

Originally Posted by The Lizard:

I've never seen this before, but I'd like to. Just one question, is Pyro in it?? just wondering.

He sure is, complete with a few action scenes. He's sporting "fly eyes"-type goggles for his mask. I think he wore something like that in his debut on the 90's X-Men Series. I much prefer his X-Men Evo look.

The Lizard

Will Gladly Pay You Tuesday
Spidey2099 said:
He sure is, complete with a few action scenes. He's sporting "fly eyes"-type goggles for his mask. I think he wore something like that in his debut on the 90's X-Men Series. I much prefer his X-Men Evo look.
Wow, if Pyro's in it, then I must see it. He's my favorite villain. Hopefully soon I'll be able to find it :)

-The Lizard :D

kaine23

Gurren Brigade member
Spidey2099 said:
water. In order to escape, Spidey sees a nearby beaker of sulfuric acid (I'm not joking--the bottle was filled to the brim with no cork on it, right-side up, underwater! :eek: )
Why yes, we always keep surfuric acid in the sewers, just in case a hero needs it!

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
I remember this one. Wolverine was Austrailan. That was stupid. But still, gotta hand it to 'em, Shadowcat wasn't as annoying as she is in "X-Men Evolution."

Digu Volz

is yo' mama
The writing was good (especially given timeframe), the animation was decent, the voice acting was passable -- mostly due to being miscast --, and the theme song was groovy. Too bad it didn't go past the pilot.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
This episode was aired as a part of "The Marvel Action Hour" at the time. Of course their was never a series...just this one episode but at least they had the decency to air it. Unlike the WB not airing "The Zeta Project's" missing episodes.

Ssrn53

Digu Volz said:
The writing was good (especially given timeframe), the animation was decent, the voice acting was passable -- mostly due to being miscast --, and the theme song was groovy. Too bad it didn't go past the pilot.

The animation was much better than decent. It rivals X-men EVO. It was definitely better then any other animation out of Marvel productions (excluding evo). Marvel should have had all their 90's animation done by that studio.

spyke

Ssrn53 said:
The animation was much better than decent. It rivals X-men EVO. It was definitely better then any other animation out of Marvel productions (excluding evo). Marvel should have had all their 90's animation done by that studio.

I agree. I also thought the animation and art of Pryde of the X-MEN was very well done. The art and animation of POTX was a whole heck of a lot better then the crappy art and animation of the 90's x-men TAS. IMO, the art and aniation of POTX is equal to that of x-men evolution.
I should mention that the animation of both POTX and Evolution was done in Japan. Which explains why the animation is well done and why I prefer many 80's American cartoons to a lot of the crappy cartoons from the 90's and today.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts