Rick And Morty Anime In Development

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Adult Swim Action and Toonami have essentially fused into one entity. Shonen for teens like Naruto Shippuden and One Piece have air alongside adult titles like Made in Abyss and Zom 100 that would have probably aired on ASA back in the 00s.
Sure, fair enough. ASA and Toonami did fused together since 2012.
Oh gosh, Rick and Morty the anime is probably going to headline Toonami as they appear to be struggling to get My Hero Academia season 7.
Yeah, thanks a lot, Crunchyroll. -_-

Ace

Ace
Anime does a lot of limited animation techniques but they usually make up for it in other areas like with details, backgrounds and shading. It's pretty bad how similar everything looks to the original show. A lot of the changes to give this an anime aesthetic look superficial. Aside from some a different animation style, the character designs, the overall color palette, the backgrounds and everything else look roughly the same. Why is this even a separate series?

Last edited:

Conttactt

Adult Swim Action and Toonami have essentially fused into one entity. Shonen for teens like Naruto Shippuden and One Piece have air alongside adult titles like Made in Abyss and Zom 100 that would have probably aired on ASA back in the 00s. Oh gosh, Rick and Morty the anime is probably going to headline Toonami as they appear to be struggling to get My Hero Academia season 7.
They confirmed R&M for Toonami like a month ago. MHA or no MHA, it would be getting midnight. They always give full priority to their originals.

That’s a big reason people were nervous, because up until a few months ago, we were told this would be sub only. A controversial, subbed show in the lead would have been brutal on the ratings. Sub will probably be parked in the back slot. Actually now that I type it out, that’s probably why they are doing an accelerated purge of Demon Slayer, they need that timeslot for R&M sub.

My biggest beef with the show is the fact it’s being forced onto Toonami. If it could just go be its own thing, I wouldn’t care. But it’s gonna eat up a timeslot on an already poor schedule then we have the obligatory marathons. Not fun.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
My biggest beef with the show is the fact it’s being forced onto Toonami. If it could just go be its own thing, I wouldn’t care.

Well, Toonami is the place for anime so it will fit there. Still, I am sure Toonami fans would prefer an acquisition to it. Yes, I know that originals will always get the top spot (unless it's Dragonball). My main issue is how the originals like the FLCL sequels and Rick and Morty the anime are tarnishing the Toonami brand. Toonami Rewind at least is letting people associate the brand with its classics rather than the crappy original dumping ground its become in the 2020s.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Were any of the anime shorts even well received by Rick and Morty fans? Toonami seems to often use them as filler after marathons or movies… but they mainly come on at 3:45 am. How many Rick and Morty fans have even seen them? I doubt many would even enjoy them as they don’t have the same humor style as Rick and Morty.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
All the previews have been showcasing action scenes, with very little humor scenes. I was under the impression that this was the "action" version of Rick and Morty, although the action scenes in the normal Rick and Morty look much better. The stereotype of anime is still ultra serious over the top melodramatic action series and I feel like this series is trying to be a stereotypical anime. I know that comedy versions of action cartoons tend to get loads of hate (Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar), but the opposite phenomenon of action spinoffs of comedy cartoons seem even less popular. Maybe these trailers are misleading and there will be more actual jokes beyond ridiculous fight scenes, but I am thinking they are going for turning Rick and Morty into a crappy generic action anime. Based on all the trailers and stuff, this is ugliest we've seen of Toonami/Adult Swim original anime. This might surpass FLCL Grunge's 4.67 for worst MyAnimeList score.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
All the previews have been showcasing action scenes, with very little humor scenes. I was under the impression that this was the "action" version of Rick and Morty, although the action scenes in the normal Rick and Morty look much better. The stereotype of anime is still ultra serious over the top melodramatic action series and I feel like this series is trying to be a stereotypical anime. I know that comedy versions of action cartoons tend to get loads of hate (Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar), but the opposite phenomenon of action spinoffs of comedy cartoons seem even less popular. Maybe these trailers are misleading and there will be more actual jokes beyond ridiculous fight scenes, but I am thinking they are going for turning Rick and Morty into a crappy generic action anime. Based on all the trailers and stuff, this is ugliest we've seen of Toonami/Adult Swim original anime. This might surpass FLCL Grunge's 4.67 for worst MyAnimeList score.
I don’t think it will even be on MyAnimeList. None of the R&M anime shorts are listed on there. There’s no way this is actually airing or even getting a Blu-Ray in Japan too, is there? MAL admins will likely regard this as a western production animated in Japan and ignore its existence.

Conttactt

Well, Toonami is the place for anime so it will fit there.
It’s not anime though. They can call it anime all they want, but that won’t be what it is. It’s Rick and Morty, it would fit anywhere on the network, and more than likely will get an encore run Sunday at midnight where they usually premier shows.
Were any of the anime shorts even well received by Rick and Morty fans? Toonami seems to often use them as filler after marathons or movies… but they mainly come on at 3:45 am. How many Rick and Morty fans have even seen them? I doubt many would even enjoy them as they don’t have the same humor style as Rick and Morty.
All of them were just a “yea ok” response. They were something that happened. But they weren’t long enough for people to have passionate love/hate for them. When they first aired, it was early in the night. So at least one time they were at a reasonable hour.
I don’t think it will even be on MyAnimeList. None of the R&M anime shorts are listed on there. There’s no way this is actually airing or even getting a Blu-Ray in Japan too, is there? MAL admins will likely regard this as a western production animated in Japan and ignore its existence.
I’d assume the shorts don’t have enough to them to make MAL, but this should be long enough for it to get a page. Apparently R&M is actually pretty popular in Japan, so that audience may be more likely to watch it than the west. Airing on their cable? Not likely. But a BD release for sure.

Corwin Haught

It’s not anime though. They can call it anime all they want, but that won’t be what it is. It’s Rick and Morty, it would fit anywhere on the network, and more than likely will get an encore run Sunday at midnight where they usually premier shows.
I believe the old statement was Toonami is an action cartoon block, and this will technically fit.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
They gotta be more positive than this thread, lol.

It's definitely got quirky humor to it. Like Rick wanting that one specific screw enough to go a specific hole in the wall small biz shop in Japan, running into an old rival whose name he forgot, etc.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

It's more anime than Blade Runner Black Lotus, which was written by mostly Westerners. That got on MyAnimeList and has a 6.28 score. MAL is pretty inconsistent on what is and isn't anime. Suicide Squad Isekai appears to be listed too.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Keyword is old. Like 20 years ago old. The vast majority of viewers tuning into Toonami in 2024 are here for anime.

My Adventures with Superman has been keeping Toonami afloat through 2023 and 2024, but that's more an American shojo romcom. It's interesting how some American "anime" like Gemusetto and Ballmasterz seem pretty hated by the Toonami fandom, but My Adventures with Superman is bucking the trend. Well, probably because it actually looks more like anime than those series or the Rick and Morty anime and it being closer in tone to an anime than an Adult Swim stoner comedy that makes random anime references. Well, the Rick and Morty brand should prevent this from being a Gemusetto level flop, but it does feel like it will take a miracle for this to not suck. Maybe if you wear a special kind of glasses Adult Swim sends in the mail, the animation looks better.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like we are all discussing the old blame game on how Adult Swim's anime is the way it is. Toonami couldn't afford pre-Funiroll merger Crunchyroll titles with the exception of Mob Psycho 100. The Funiroll merger was one of the worst things to happen to Toonami as Funimation was one of Toonami's staunchest allies before combining with Crunchyroll. MHA season 7 might be out of their price range even if their originals didn't exist.

Still, I would most definitely take Sentai/Viz titles over Toonami/Adult Swim originals. I think most Toonami fans would prefer a block headlined by Oshi no Ko than Rick and Morty the anime.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
The Funiroll merger was one of the worst things to happen to Toonami as Funimation was one of Toonami's staunchest allies before combining with Crunchyroll.
Yeah, I blame AT&T for letting Crunchyroll go.
Still, I would most definitely take Sentai/Viz titles over Toonami/Adult Swim originals.
Pretty much. I miss the good old days of Adult Swim Action lol

Reactions: Moe

harry580

wish viacom & universal could have bought geneon in 2007 while at&t keeps crunchyroll while sony keeps funimation around & merged it with aniplex & animax brands

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Eh, let's stay on topic rather than veer into general Toonami issues.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts