"Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Pups" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

awinger24

I feel bad for the people who spent years working on this show whose work will now likely never be seen, but at the same time I don't feel too bad about losing this one. Not because it is/was a preschool show, if a popular IP can appeal to kiddos, that's fine; but the casting here left a bad taste in my mouth; namely, only using Scooby and Shaggy as counselors and once again shafting Fred, Daphne and Velma, then having three OCs who are essentially those same characters as puppies. What is this, the 80's, where we still putting 3/5 of Mystery, Inc. on the shelf? I thought by now we all realized that the Scooby Gang works best as a Five-Man Band. If the producers really wanted puppy characters for this show, why didn't they just use Scrappy-Doo? It's been long enough; I'm sure most of the vitriol for Scrappy has died down by now.

Here's how I would've cast this show: I'd have had all five members of Mystery, Inc. working as counselors, and for the campers I would've cast Scrappy and his two best friends from the episode "The Ransom of Scooby Chief", Duke and Annie. There's your Mystery Pups right there.
It is unfortunate that this show along with Tom and Jerry Time got cut by Discovery's board of directors, probably because the previous regime (WarnerMedia including the WB Global Kids, Young Adults, and Classics unit) spent so much on development for kids and family programming that it put a financial strain on WBD, and whoever is charge of finances likely forced the company to scale back which they want to get out of outstanding debt.

Also, the Global Kids, Young Adults, and Classics unit has been dissolved and are now under the WB Television Group.

Last edited:

wiley207

Not a corner of Warner Bros. Animation is safe while David Zaslav is at large! Who knows what else that corrupt executive may be plotting, even as we speak? (Yeah, I consider David Zaslav to my private toon detective foxsona, Sam Valentino, the way Professor Moriarty is to Sherlock Holmes.)
I also made this image to reflect my concern back when the forum was down...
scoobyWBDcancellations.jpg

Then again, we're getting an official release of "Scooby-Doo and Krypto, Too!", so there might be some hope. (I'm betting Warner's "Barbie" movie earning over a billion dollars at the box-office had a part to play, now that Warner Bros. Discovery has more revenue.)

wiley207

I am pretty sure Scooby-Doo! and the Haunted High Rise isn't canceled yet!
I hope so! Maybe production resumed with WB-Discovery having hundreds of millions of dollars again thanks to the "Barbie" movie.

Goldstar!

All right-y!
This isn't the most reliable source, I know, but Scoobypedia claims that Mystery Pups has indeed been scrapped, and judging by the underwhelming reception that Cartoonito has made in the U.S., it seems unlikely that WB will be producing any new shows for the block, at least not at this time.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Roger Eschbacher said it could be picked up by someone else, although I'm not confident that will happen either. I used to wonder why they couldn't just put it on CN, but given the current state of Cartoonito, I doubt they're interested.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
1. I find it kind of interesting how Roger Eschbacher has been the most vocal in talking about the show even though he's not the showrunner. Mark Palmer is.

Roger Eschbacher said it could be picked up by someone else, although I'm not confident that will happen either. I used to wonder why they couldn't just put it on CN, but given the current state of Cartoonito, I doubt they're interested.
2. It's a long shot given the amount of radio silence on picking up the show, but I think Netflix picking up the show is possible. There's been a lot of preschool programming that's come out on Netflix these past few years, too many to count. They do usually get at least good promotion at the start. There are only other two places that I think of that could pick up the show, but didn't think either would work.

The first would be Amazon Prime Video given how they saved Batman Caped Crusader and the upcoming Batman Christmas movie, which are also produced by Warner Brothers Animation. I did think this was a possibility, but they also don't really a good job advertising their recent preschool shows. Just look at Hello Kitty Super Style (which has just the one trailer and theme song released 2 days before coming out, and that's it) and Do, Re, And Mi (which had some decent trailers in 2021, but nothing in 2022).

The second is with Apple TV given how they have a pretty strong slate of preschool shows. However, they also seem selective on what to make into a show. Other than Helpsters (a puppet show not based on an established property), Hello Jack! The Kindness Show (another live action preschool show not based on an established property), and Sago Mini Friends (which is based on an app), all of Apple TV's preschool shows are usually based on books (Doug Unplugs, Stillwater, Rolling With Otis, Pretzel And The Puppies, Duck And Goose, The Slumberkins, Interrupting Chicken, Eva The Owlet, and Frog And Toad).

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
This isn't the most reliable source, I know, but Scoobypedia claims that Mystery Pups has indeed been scrapped, and judging by the underwhelming reception that Cartoonito has made in the U.S., it seems unlikely that WB will be producing any new shows for the block, at least not at this time.
Cartoon Network management is trying desperately to keep it afloat I don't think they're done with it just yet

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So in case some of you didn't realise yet, those of you that know me from YouTube probably saw that today is a very bad day for me.
Changed to the Hungarian-flagged avatar because of a national holiday.
Whenever I get my first LPS toys (hopefully soon), I am considering doing a little unboxing video in the style of LPStubers. It would be nothing professional, I just want to show off my stuff in a fun way.
I said it elsewhere but I will say it again.

Dont worry, Me TV Toons taking its time to air the Scrappy era is nothing too bad, this is what CN did back in the day, they felt the need that people "needed to get fully tired of the old episodes" before they brought in the new stuff with Scrappy. We will see it again.
Mejo wrote on Daffyrocks's profile.
Hey Mihai, just saw that your channel was terminated.

My condolences go to you. Really hope that your channel gets reinstated.

Featured Posts