Short Lived Cartoons

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
That short-lived claymation Mr. Potato Head series on Fox Kids. It was (I think) only during the fall of 2000 (I think because I remember seeing it in an issue of Fox Kids Magazine that may have had an article on the Digimon Movie.)

Also (does this count since it was based off of the cartoon series?) , wasn't that live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series (the one that did a cross-over with Power Rangers) short-lived?

Also, Histeria and The Zeta Project seemed short-lived.

TheArtrix

Because Cone wills it so
Aren't we forgetting Sam and Max: freelance police? Liked the game and the comics, and this was a nice addition to that lineup. I think it ran for about 20 episodes, which I don't consider very long.

Perry

Super... man
veemonjosh said:
That short-lived claymation Mr. Potato Head series on Fox Kids. It was (I think) only during the fall of 2000 (I think because I remember seeing it in an issue of Fox Kids Magazine that may have had an article on the Digimon Movie.)

Also (does this count since it was based off of the cartoon series?) , wasn't that live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series (the one that did a cross-over with Power Rangers) short-lived?

Also, Histeria and The Zeta Project seemed short-lived.
Mr. Potato Head was definately one of the shortest series...

veemonjosh

Knight42092 said:
Mr. Potato Head was definately one of the shortest series...
I'm curious, how many episodes were there?

Oh yeah, here's a famous (among video game fans) short-lived series: Legend of Zelda.

Speaking of Nintendo, if we were to count english dubs of anime (which would add all sorts of odd titles to the list), 4Kids' dub of F-Zero GP Legend was REALLY short-lived.

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Most of these have already been said, but what the heck:

The Avengers -- I did not get to see all of this one but it didn't look all that good.
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs -- I have a couple of the VHS tapes they released.
Defenders of Dynatron City -- bought the comic book, probably still have the pilot episode recorded on VHS somewhere. Extreme camp.
The New Adventures of Huck Finn -- remember this live-action/animated series? I think it only lasted one season.
Invasion America -- pre-empted where I lived at the time. I don't ever remember it getting any re-runs, either.
Mortal Kombat -- have the DVD's plus one VHS because the DVD's don't include the episode, Sting of the Scorpion, for an unknown reason.
Phantom 2040 -- not sure, this might have made it past one season.
Silver Surfer -- I didn't get to see all of this series but I liked what I saw. I remember seeing the psychic kid in an episode of X-Files watching this show in one scene, too.
Speed Racer (new series) -- I didn't think I would like them redesigning the Mach V but the new design was actually cool.
Spider-man (MTV) -- I really liked this series. Best Spidey show yet!
Spider-woman -- haven't seen them all but wasn't impressed.
Wild C.A.T.S. -- I've read the comic but never seen the animated series.
Wing Commander Academy -- I liked this series; too bad more people saw the awful live-action film instead of this show.
X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men -- the well-known pilot episode.

Didn't Thundarr the Barbarian run for two seasons?

How long did The Roswell Conspiracies last? I enjoyed the videogame but never got to see the animated series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justy

Now you see me...now you don't
Here's two nobody's mentioned:

Galaxy High School (1986-87) - 13 episodes - CBS Saturday morning series. Two high school students (one jock [M] and one brain [F]) are sent to a galactic high school as Earth's first transfers. Great characters, good gags, and awesome writing. One of my personal favorites.

Cyber Six (2000) - 13 episodes - Fox Saturday morning series.
Entertaining anime series about a female cyber who fights against her creator's plots for world domination in the guise of a male high school teacher. Kinda dark and visually engaging. Only 10 episodes were aired.

Sailor Goon

Just another Blind Ron Fan...
My Life As A Teenage Robot- May not quite have been short lived, but did not live nearly as long as it should have. Nick even admitted this. Once again, a show too hip for Nick's alleged core demographics of six year olds.

Can't have that now, can we?

Megas XLR- Should ave been on Adult Swim from the giddyap.

veemonjosh

Three more cult classics to add to the list:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Also known as SatAM; it only lasted only two seasons. Power Rangers was a major factor in it's cancellation.

Invader Zim: Everyone should know about this one. It lasted one and one-forth of a season.

13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo: The title makes me think this perhaps was only meant for one season.

pinsher6

i never watched these cartoons,but short lived cartoons may be worth watching as well, i will try some:anime:

fanboy

Disney's Nightmare Ned only lasted some 13 episodes and was never aired on the Disney Channel or Toon Disney.

hobbyfan

IDistractedYou said:
I miss Downtown horribly and Earthworm Jim as well. Earthworm Jim may have run more than one season but I'm not sure. The short lived Spider-Man cartoon was Spider-Man Unlimited by the way.
Like a lot of WB toons, Earthworm Jim was in & out of the lineup, and I believe it was over the course of two seasons.

Downtown was kept to a late-prime time slot behind Real World in an attempt to lure in that target demo (college students-young adults). Highly praised, low rated. Go figure.

Spider-Man Unlimited was, like stablemate Avengers, a victim of the Pokemon Express in '99. They tried to bring it back 2 years later, but it just didn't work because they waited so long. Made the same mistake with Sony's Big Guy & Rusty.

hobbyfan

tucsoncoyote said:
Okay Since we're on the thing about "Short Lived Cartoons I got a Couple

Mighty Orbots, Hate to say this but this first Wave of Robot Shows died after just one Season on ABC, and ABC was notorious for short lived shows but so was every Channel during the 1980's. Hero High was another one that was a combination Live Aciton / Animated series..on NBC, during the late 1970's and early 1980's

Hero High was 1/2 of the Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam!, which lasted just one season, 1981-2. I should know. I watched it for the Shazam segment. Mighty Orbots was great, too, but ABC botched it. Great storylines, Gary Owens as narrator, what more could you want?

and then there was Gary Gygax's great Short Lived Epic, Dungeons and Dragons. (The show died when they started to put the love angle in..

D & D was brought back in reruns on Fox a couple of years back as a mid-season replacement, with rumors that it was going to be revived with new eps. Didn't happen that way. Series originally aired on CBS (w/Donny Most, ex-Happy Days, in the voice cast) for about a year or two, then coming back as a mid-season replacement there before going into limbo.

Snookums and Meat were onely 13 episodes and of course then there is Filmore! (Great Kids as Cops show on Disney that got upstaged by Recess).

Fillmore, I think, produced 2 seasons worth of episodes, which carried into this past April, when it was cancelled. Scott Gimple (Bongo's Heroes Anonymous) created the show, crossing Encyclopedia Brown with John Shaft. Slammin'! Recess had already been around a few years when Fillmore debuted in '02.

Goldie Gold and Action Jack. a Lame 13 episode Rich Rich Ripoff with a Female Little Rich Girl (who was voluptuous and 18.) go figure

And don't forget Thundarr the Barbarian.. need I say more?

And then there was Turbo Teen. (Knight Rider meets Ranma1/2 is more like it.)

Thundarr lasted 2 seasons, and is one of my favorites. Goldie Gold, like Thundarr, boasted the talents of Jack Kirby & Steve Gerber, but lasted just the one season because it lost the Thundarr crowd. Turbo Teen? The less said about that one, the better. Ruby-Spears would probably have it that way.:sad:

Then there is Silverhawks (Rankin Bass's Sequel to the more appealing Thundercats that wnet nowhere fast and the E/I Segments at the end with Copper kid.. lame!
Silverhawks has no connection to the Thundercats except for being from the same studio. If there was, don't ya think there'd have been a crossover?;)

hobbyfan

Bones Justice said:
Most of these have already been said, but what the heck:

The New Adventures of Huck Finn -- remember this live-action/animated series? I think it only lasted one season.

It did, and was later issued in syndication as part of a Banana Splits package.

Invasion America -- pre-empted where I lived at the time. I don't ever remember it getting any re-runs, either.

It never did. I didn't see it all, and would love to see that come out on DVD.

Phantom 2040 -- not sure, this might have made it past one season.

No, it didn't.

Spider-man (MTV) -- I really liked this series. Best Spidey show yet!

Too bad Mpty-V didn't agree with you. Show was delayed all the way to December '03, lasted about 6-8 months, then gone. Eps available on VHS & DVD.

Spider-woman -- haven't seen them all but wasn't impressed.

It was okay for what it was (the last DePatie Freleng adventure series before Marvel took over). Redo it today, and maybe it works.

Wild C.A.T.S. -- I've read the comic but never seen the animated series.

Series was delayed 2-4 weeks at the start, lasted 6 months (cancelled April 95). Pedestrian, even by Nelvana standards.

Wing Commander Academy -- I liked this series; too bad more people saw the awful live-action film instead of this show.

Because USA didn't promote it enough.

Didn't Thundarr the Barbarian run for two seasons?

Yep. I want to see this on DVD!!!:D :D :D

How long did The Roswell Conspiracies last? I enjoyed the videogame but never got to see the animated series.
One season. Aired on Sci-Fi.

The Horcrux

Da Harry Potter Fan!!! Lumos!!
Courage The Cowardly Dog!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

May it rest in peace.....

Teen Titans really deserves to go on! They just need some time to fourm some new and better ideas so the next season would have been better. Saddly it ain't getting another chance...

CartoonOverlord

Head of HATE
The Horcrux said:
Courage The Cowardly Dog!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

May it rest in peace.....

Teen Titans really deserves to go on! They just need some time to fourm some new and better ideas so the next season would have been better. Saddly it ain't getting another chance...
I disagree Courage had a very decent run, unlike Megas XLR. Though I'd like there to some sort of conclusion to the series though.

MGFanJay

Clerks, Baby Blues, and Mission Hill come to mind for me on this. MH in particular really got slighted.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts