Spider-Man: TAS "The Sting Of The Scorpion" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate This Episode

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 12.5%

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 2 12.5%

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• *1/2

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss this Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #2 - The Sting Of The Scorpion
Original Airdate - March 11, 1995

J. Jonah Jameson hires a detective, Mac Gargan, to be transformed into a super hero to fight Spider-Man and names him the Scorpion. But Scorpion turns on his creators after he mutates and attempts to blow up a power plant. Now Spider-Man must clean up the mess that Jameson has created and stop Scorpion before he destroys the city.

Comments?

Spider-Man

A good episode with some great Scorpion animation! The animators did a really good job animating the villian in most parts, I found. I think, however, they should've done with a voice that suited him better. It was good, but it didn't sound right at times.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Great episode. I'm glad they kept his origin intact because it was a great one, especially the J Jonah Jameson angle. I thought Jamesons reasoning behind it was great too, far better than his jealously reason in the comics (which I believe has only been said once in the characters 40+ year run).

Nice animation (which was common in the first series of the show) and a very cool Scorpian design, which I like more than the comic one. Cool idea using Oscorp too.

I'm glad this didn't premier as the second episode, as I think it's better to show more of Jameson's hatred of Spider-Man, as they did in The Menace Of Mysterio.

Spider-Man, they actually did change his voice, by his second apperance, The Insidious Six, Scorpians voice was by the same person who voiced Two-Face in Batman, believe it or not.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
I remember getting the action figure of Scorpion...I thought that it was such a cool action figure! I stood him next to my Rhino action figure and thought..."Oh yeah...this is cool!" But anyway...I grew up with this show...and this was an awesome episode...but then again, most of them were...this was the best Marvel cartoon ever...except for X-Men, which I say is the best only because I thought that the voice acting as well as art and animation was better than Spider-Man, otherwise I'd give it a draw...this show kicked tush...I'm glad we're opening talkback threads now.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
JusticeLeagueLegion said:
I remember getting the action figure of Scorpion...I thought that it was such a cool action figure! I

I had that figure too, really cool. Hope they make another one in a similar style to stand next my new ML style Spider-Man figures. :cool:

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
ABC Family airs this and Spider-Man: Unlimited's Worlds Apart Part 2 today. Check your local listings.

25.jpg

J. Jonah Jameson hires genetic engineer Dr. Farley Stillwell to create a super-hero to capture Spider-Man, but The Scorpion opts for a life of crime.

Comments?

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
Not a bad follow up to the first episode, but I don't accept JJJ's reasons for hating people in masks. JJJ doesn't want to see that there is a person under Spidey's mask and if he is revealed, Parkers friends and families will be a target for the bad guys.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another Pat Wollary sighting during the episode. What is with that anyway?

Westlander

That's why I voted TAS as only being "all right". Scorpion's origin has been VIOLENTLY changed. Scorp isn't a mutie, hellooooo... He's a sad criminal, Mac Gargan in a motorized suit, seeing him yellow-skinned (not Asian - piss-yellow due to mutation!) and with overgrown canines made me just shake my head...

shoujoaifan

Did they show it in the earlymorning rather than is scheduled 10:00 A.M. showing? I wake up at 8:30 to watch PR:DT and there's a Digimon marathon that ran the whole morning.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Not my favorite Spidey, but not too bad. Jameson's bias against masked types makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised to learn it wasn't this way in the comics. As for Scorpian... He's a hokey villian who worked much better in villian team-up episodes. ***

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
ABC Family airs this ep at 10:30am

25.jpg

J. Jonah Jameson hires genetic engineer Dr. Farley Stillwell to create a super-hero to capture Spider-Man, but The Scorpion opts for a life of crime.

Comments?

Eddie G.

Former Wolf/Writer.
Pretty good episode, I like the fight scenes. However the whole JJJ thing was poorly placed. I mean we got one episode to understand that JJJ hates Spiderman and then they explain why he hates Spiderman. We really should've been able to get to know the character better first.

Spider-Man

23.jpg

This episode aired on TOON Disney today. The Scorpion has always been one of my favorite Spider-Man villain. I thought this was a pretty good introduction into his character but I wish the animation was just a bit better for the episode. There are a few great bits of animation during the fight scenes but most of it looks pretty mediocre and average. It's still a fun episode and a great villain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypher Rage

Sting of the Scorpion

I've been wondering for a long time that in Spiderman TAS Scorpion would continuely mutate more and more into a monster, growing larger amongst other things. But when he returns in the Second Season he's the same size again and stays like this for the rest of the series.

What's up with this?​

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Welcome to Toon Zone, Spider-Guy. :)

They were never really clear with thier intent for The Scorpion. I assume they had him grow and become more-monster like to emphasis the fact that Jameson and Stillwell had turned him into a freak. After that a lot of his appearances are messed up - one minute he's a supervillain, the next time he's searching for a cure so he can marry his fiance - the next he's joining the Insidious Six again.

Considering how tight the writing often was on Spider-Man, it's certainly jarring to watch the later Scorpion appearances...

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Jeremiah said:
Sorry, Jesus i was just asking.

Welcome to Toon Zone, Jeremiah.

I don't think Spider-Guy had any malicious intent in his reply, he was just confirming your suspision. If memory serves, Richard Moll took over voicing The Scorpion from The Insidious Six onwards. Moll is better known for playing Two-Face over in Batman.

Jeremiah

I would certaintly hope not. Because I would hate to be treated in a malicious manner at such a cool forum

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts