The CBC Action Figure Thread

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey,

I figured a nice thread for all figure talk would go down great in this forum, so here goes.

New pictures of Marvel Legends 9 have surficed here. This is the 'Galactus' wave, which means once you buy all 6 of the figures, you can assemble a big ass Galactus figure. Marvel Legends 10 is rumoured to have a similar theme, where a Sentinal is the assembled figure.

www.action-figure.com has a review of the new Sandman figure. Mysterio is rumoured to be the next villain in the Spider-Man Classics wave. Then we'll only need Vulture to get the original Sinister Six.

DC Direct has announced a new line featuring Batman villain figures. For pics, check out Toon Zone's Comic Soliciations, found here. The figures include Black Mask, Mr. Freeze, Man Bat, Killer Croc and The Pengiun.

DC Direct also announced that a line based on Tim Sale's renditions of Batman, is to be released. The line will feature figures from both The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Likely candidates so far include Catwoman and The Mad Hatter.

If you find any figure news, why not post it here? If you buy any new figures, tell us what you thought of them.

Comments?

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Newest Spawn Collectors Club exclusive was announced for Series 27. It's based on the cover art of Issue #30, featuring a Spawn with a shot-to-hell "cape", bullet wound to the head with necroplasm seeping out and being hung by a rope. Awesome looking figure--here's the newsstory and pics.

-BB

zeppelined

Iron Fan
Amazing Spidey said:
New pictures of Marvel Legends 9 have surficed here. This is the 'Galactus' wave, which means once you buy all 6 of the figures, you can assemble a big ass Galactus figure.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? This could be the best wave ever. I would put most of those figures on my "must-have" list, and the rest automatically get put on the, "might as well have since I want to make the giant Galactus" list. Wow! Pretty cool.

Has anyone had any luck finding any wave 7 or even wave 8 figures in stores yet? My wife and I found a bunch of wave 7 figs at the local flea market, but they were vastly overpriced ($30 for Vision, $35 for Hawkeye?). Although it was nice to see Juggernaut and Apocalypse at only $20 each.

I saw an advertisement for the new Spider-man and Fantastic Four gift sets. They look very cool. I wonder what they'll retail for? Seems like a nice way to pick up a bunch of characters we don't already have.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
zeppelined said:
Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? This could be the best wave ever. I would put most of those figures on my "must-have" list, and the rest automatically get put on the, "might as well have since I want to make the giant Galactus" list. Wow! Pretty cool.

Has anyone had any luck finding any wave 7 or even wave 8 figures in stores yet? My wife and I found a bunch of wave 7 figs at the local flea market, but they were vastly overpriced ($30 for Vision, $35 for Hawkeye?). Although it was nice to see Juggernaut and Apocalypse at only $20 each.

I saw an advertisement for the new Spider-man and Fantastic Four gift sets. They look very cool. I wonder what they'll retail for? Seems like a nice way to pick up a bunch of characters we don't already have.
I'm loving the new wave as well. I probably wouldn't buy a Deathlok figure (despite him saving my ass numerous times on the Maximum Carnage video game) but for the sake of Galactus, I'll get him.

The only one I don't like is Hulk... seems like a pointless reject of a Hulk Classics figure.

I'm getting the Sinister Six set for Christmas. It's got a great selection of figures. It's also cool for me, as I never bought Kraven first time 'round, and have a better version of him for holding out. It sucks that we have another version of that crappy Doc Ock instead of the new Marvel Legend one, but we finally have a cool version of Venom and the original Green Goblin.

I haven't bought the Fantastic Four set yet, but since we only get them in comic shops here in the UK, they've been pretty pricey. Especially considering I already have 3 of the figures.

I've managed to get Brown costume Wolverine and Pheonix from the new wave, and have seen plently of Cables. No sign of Deadpool, Juggernaut or Apocalypse. I actually saw silver Iron Man, Hawkeye and Vision and passed on them. A decision I am probably gonna regret...

zeppelined

Iron Fan
Amazing Spidey said:
I'm getting the Sinister Six set for Christmas. It's got a great selection of figures. It's also cool for me, as I never bought Kraven first time 'round, and have a better version of him for holding out. It sucks that we have another version of that crappy Doc Ock instead of the new Marvel Legend one, but we finally have a cool version of Venom and the original Green Goblin.

I was browsing around on ebay, and there are a bunch of auctions for both the Spidey and FF gift sets with a buy-it-now price of $39.99. Not bad. I don't have *any* of the figures in the Spidey set, so I'm fired up about that one.

I've managed to get Brown costume Wolverine and Pheonix from the new wave, and have seen plently of Cables. No sign of Deadpool, Juggernaut or Apocalypse. I actually saw silver Iron Man, Hawkeye and Vision and passed on them. A decision I am probably gonna regret...

I got a brown Wolvie the other day at K-Mart, and I picked up a Phoenix, but only because my brother worked at a toy store this summer. He had first crack at the case, so we got the Phoenix (green) and he got a Juggernaut. I can't believe a Hawkeye and Vision actually made it to the store shelf anywhere, since they are supposedly 1-per case figures. I can't believe you passed on those!

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've never been a fan of Vision, but I (stupidly) assumed that Hawkeye would be the peg warmer. Turns out that was the Silver Iron Man. So I dropped the ball there. :(

Before now, however, I've had little trouble finding Marvel Legends. With the exception of Captain America who was shortpacked here in the UK. Forbidden Planet usually gets them in first, and it's a local store for me, so they usually have plently of MLs in there. Not so in the last few waves. The guy who works there seems friendly enough, so I asked him if he could hold an Apocolpyse for me. He told me that he's yet to actually see Apocolypse. He also hasn't had a Spider-Man villain in his store since Carnage.

But, on a happier note, the Sinister Six set is a must if you don't have the Spidey figures. There's another 4 pack called Urban Legends, which features Spidey, Daredevil, Punisher and Elektra which might be worth your time picking up if you're lacking them.

zeppelined

Iron Fan
Interesting link here: http://www.toyglobe.com/MarvelLegends.php

Their prices are hugely inflated on most figures, but you can see a listing for every wave up to 11. (11!) One interesting thing is, if you go to the listing for wave 8, they're selling the figures from that Spider-Man/Siniter 6 set separately. Hmmm...

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They also have the Fantastic Four movie toys, without images. Look's like we're gonna have a lot of Things hanging on shelves this time next year.

The prices of the variants are absoloutly ridicolous.

Donald Duck 12

Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!
My list: Sandman
Mysterio
Man Bat
The Pengiun
Catwoman

Looks pretty good!

Nick K.

Marvel Legends figures have now become so difficult to find that I am contemplating not collecting anymore. :sad:

randomguy

Came, liked Ike, and left.
Yowza, that's some lineup. Nightcrawler and Dr. Strange in particular look gorgeous. I'd be more excited about War Machine if not for Modern Iron Man, but it's still a very cool figure.

I wish I could buy that monster Galactus figure seperate, though. It looks really, really awesome, but I have no interest in blowing the cash on Deathlok or Grey Hulk.

zeppelined

Iron Fan
I was thinking about this Galactus assembly figure concept, and I'm worried about short-packed figures. Let's say Dr. Strange and War Machine are the ones who are only one per case. There's going to be a whole lot of people who have a Galactus with no legs, either because they simply can't find all the figures in the wave, or they're not willing to pay $30 for each rare figure.

Hopefully, Toybiz has thought this through and will make all of the figures common, with just the variants as short-packed rares.

Nick K.

I went to Toys R' Us yesterday and got a BLACK WIDOW Marvel Legends Figure!!! Wooo... So series 7 was a bust because I'm pretty sure that a lot of people missed out on Hawkeye, Vision, Apocalypse, etc... but Series 8 seemed to have a lot of good figures available.. including STORM & ICE MAN who I will be picking up soon. Ultimate Cap America maybe... but his face was a little too small.

Beyond Batman

The Tomorrow Knight
Nick K. said:
Marvel Legends figures have now become so difficult to find that I am contemplating not collecting anymore. :sad:
I absolutely hate "chase" figures, and I couldn't agree with you more on how hard these things have been to find. And even finding a store that stocks these figures regulalry, that means having to compete with "toy greedos" who wait in line for the store to open so they can buy their chase figure, then turn around and sell them at your local convention or eBay for a 300% mark up.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There's been a few updates. DC Direct announced a new Superman/Batman line, consisting of the WF themselves, Captain Atom, Captain Marvel and Metallo. Wave II is rumoured to contain Powergirl at this time. Some pics, and a big update on the Justice League Unlimted can be found here.

Does anyone know who is in the JLA Wave III line? We recently got a second shipment of wave I and a the new wave II so I plan on picking some of those up soon.

I'm also quite annoyed I bought the Superman figure, and they announce an Ed McGunniess version later. I'll be getting Batman and Captain Atom though.

Does anyone know if DCD plan to release Kyle Rayner in his cool costume or a Green Arrow figure soon?

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Toyfare time! Time to make like Ace The Batound and post the news :)

New Marvel Legends, from the 'Sentinal' wave. Pics here. The line consists of Steve Dikto Spider-Man, Omega Red, Cyclops, Mr. Sinister, Mystique, Angel and Black Panther. As with the Galactus wave, if you buy all the figures, you get a bigger, 16" Sentinal.

Action-Figure.com also has pics of the Tim Sale Batman wave, consisting of Batman, Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face and The Mad Hatter. Check out that Catwoman!

DC Direct has also announced an Identity Crisis wave, oddly enough based on Micheal Turner's covers, rather than the superior interior art. Pics here. We're getting Hawkman, Green Arrow, Zatanna, Dr. Light and Deadshot. A second wave is rumoured to follow, although there's no mention of how is going to be in it. It's more than likely going to be The Atom, Robin and another Superman.

After a first wave that I can't seem to remember happening, Alex Ross' versions of the JLA are coming. Here's the story. Aquaman, Batman, Parasite, Black Canary and Black Manta are set to appear. Some slightly older news, there's a new JLA set coming, which consists of repaints of Batman, Superman, John Stewart, Wonder Woman and a new Aquaman figure. See pics here. Slightly annoying, as I already bought Superman and Batman, but kinda want that Aquaman. Expect this set to be pretty pricey.

Marvel Legends are expected to be shown soon. Spider-Man Classics villains will feature Mysterio, The Beetle (?) and another Doc Ock, based on his Ultimate design. Spidey varients are rumoured to include the Spider-Armour (perhaps best known as Spidey's super rich alter ego :) )and Spidey2009. Pics should be appearing soon.

So, after all that, have any of you bought any cool figures lately?

Harvey Dent

The Batman
This past Friday, I went down to Midtown Comics and picked up two action figure sets from DC Direct: The First Appearance Set (Wave 2) and the new JLA Set (Wave 1).

First Appearance (Wave 2)
I really, really, really like these figures. If I was 10 years old, I'd be on the floor playing w/these right now. They really go well with the first wave I picked up a few months ago. My personal favs are Superman & Robin. Green Lantern is good too, but Hawkman irritates me just a little bit. He simply refuses to stand up straight! Now I've heard that this was also a problem with the first Hawkman DCD did because of the wings, and I heard they tried making the wings out of a lighter material for this figure and it didn't come out right, but they need to do something about this. As it stands right now, I have to lean him against something so he doesn't go crashing to the floor. I hope this doesn't happen with the Identity Crisis Hawkman. But other than that, Wave 2 gets a thumbs up.

JLA (Series 1)
I really didn't intend to buy this set, but they caught my eye a few days earlier when I went to pick up my books, so I decided to get them. And I must say, I'm glad I did. I already had Superman from his own line, but the rest were new to me. My favorite fig in this set is Aquaman, which surprised me because I don't really care for his current outfit, but at least it's better than that damn "hook look". The Wonder Woman & Flash figs are good too, even though Wally leans over a little when I put him in a running pose, making it look like he knocked back a few too many the night before. :D This set also gets a thumbs up.

Future Figures
Of the DCD figs I've seen, I'd really like to get my hands on Ross' Aquaman & Black Canary. I also have my eye on the IDC Hawkman and Dr. Light. I think I'll pass on the JLA Gift Set unless those figures will also be sold solo, because I like John Stewart.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

I'd be all over new figures of Hawkman, Green Arrow, and Zatanna, but not if they're those Michael Turner things. This Hawkman is going to have trouble standing because of all the weight in his biceps -- yeesh.

BTW, I own the DCD Hawkman/Hawkgirl set and neither figure has that much trouble standing on their own. If you spread the wings out, that's another story, but you only really need to do that if you're flapping them around the room and making them swoop down valiantly on the bad guys.

That new Marvel Legends series looks mighty sweet, too, although I would have preferred a Mystique in an outfit from her recently cancelled comic book rather than the white dress. Angel looks totally cool, though. Too bad all my local department stores really stink as far as getting Marvel Legends in stock -- I only just got a brown costume Wolverine and have NEVER seen a Juggernaut.

-- Ed/Ace

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm dissapointed that Identity Crisis is using Turner's designs. I don't care for his art at all, and it's a big slap in the face the man who, y'know, actually drew the issues. I also don't like that Zatanna design in the slightest, what happened to the girl in the leggings and top hat? :(

However, hello! Tim Sale Batman figures! I never bothered with the Hush figures, besides Nightwing, but these look far too cool to pass up. Hopefully they won't be grossly overpriced like the Jim Lee figures... the price of those over here was simply ridicolous. That Steve Dikto Spider-Man is also mighty pleasing, however it should be in his wave. I'm sorry, but 3 Spider-Men a wave and a ML? That's beyond overkill.

I recently managed to actually find figures I wanted. Better yet, buy one get one free! :)

Sandman - This is pretty cool. The sculpt is great, nice articulation which doesn't make the figure look off, and it's been sculpted in a way that it feels different, and it give the figure a good sand like texture. Another great villain,

McFarcline Spider-Man - The sculpt is absoloutly superb. They nailed this figure, right done to the style of the webs on his costume. Fortunatly, unlike the John Romita Jr. figure, the action feature takes nothing away from the figure. Very please with both of these.

They also had the McFarcline Lizard in, from a few years back, but I already have him. I'm hopeful for a Scropian and black Spider-Man soon...

Conekiller

On the Cruise!
I've been collecting mostly the X-men themed Legends figures, but I've been having the damndest time finding Phoenix (I could care less about Dark Phoenix , or Mohawk Storm)

and while I'm glad to see a Professor X, Cyclops (I like the 90's design better, but I'l take one that can stand on his own, thank you) Angel (not the hiddeously topheavy Archangel) and Nightcrawler (YES!), it bugs me that these things are so hard co colllect while they're OUT! I found an Iceman once and a few weeks later his arm broke off (I like his armpit design better than Colossus') and I'm havingthe hardest time finding a new one to replace him with.

I may collect the wave with the Sentinel megafigure tho...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

idea for a toonami april fools/daylight savings thing- air the Fleischer Superman cartoons again. There’s nothing stopping them, they’re public domain
How would you guys launch a kids tv channel in 2024?
I returned to Youtube for community posting purposes only.
I can't wait for the dubbed Bocchi the Rock!
Question: What is it about animation that always keeps you coming back for more even sometimes bad movies/shows?

Featured Posts