The CW4Kids' Super-Charged January Lineup (4 New Shows!)

CyberCubed

4kids is hanging on to Chaotic, Dinosaur King, and Yugioh because they are their "big 3" even if Yugioh isn't liked as much anymore.

I'm admittedly bitter that they decided to animate Chaotic with better animation than TMNT. Chaotic should have stayed flash, its not like the kids would care either way, while a serious show like TMNT deserved better animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

creativerealms

4kids is hanging on to Chaotic, Dinosaur King, and Yugioh because they are their "big 3" even if Yugioh isn't liked as much anymore.

I'm admittedly bitter that they decided to animate Chaotic with better animation than TMNT. Chaotic should have stayed flash, its not like the kids would either way, while a serious show like TMNT deserved better animation.

Personally I would have prefered if Chaotic's increased budget was used on better writing/stories over better animation. The story has a lot of potentual which is constantly fails to reach.

CyberCubed

That's because Chaotic isn't meant to be anything amazing, its just a flash-based monster show intended to sell cards. A 7 year old kid watching Chaotic surely isn't doing it for the story, he just thinks its "cool."

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
The reason 4Kids wanted better animation for Chaotic was to match the look of the TCG. A lot of the monsters in the flash version of Chaotic look really different than their card counterparts.

And yeah, Chaotic's writing isn't anything amazing, but it seems to be picking up with the new storyline of the M'arillian Invasion and the Cothica.

tb4000

Nowadays you pretty much have to have extended and premium cable to watch any new animation. Those kids whose families only have basic or no cable at all period are missing out, sad to say.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Nowadays you pretty much have to have extended and premium cable to watch any new animation. Those kids whose families only have basic or no cable at all period are missing out, sad to say.

Those kids are living a sad childhood... :sad:

CyberCubed

Kids of today have Chaotic, Yugioh, and Dinosaur King, isn't that great?!

In all seriousness the kids of today are going to be a generation gap from us, they don't care about the shows we liked.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?

In all seriousness the kids of today are going to be a generation gap from us, they don't care about the shows we liked.

And we didn't care about the shows that the generation before us liked. Isn't that basically the way it is with every generation?

CyberCubed

And we didn't care about the shows that the generation before us liked. Isn't that basically the way it is with every generation?

Well, they do re-launch the superhero shows each gen, (Batman, Superman, Spiderman, TMNT, X-men, etc.) but kids tend to prefer the version they grow up with than the previous.

Its funny how many different incarnations of those superhero shows are, its like every 5-8 years they get an idea to restart the franchise for a new gen of kids.

dth1971

Sonic X moves to CW 4 Kids! WOO WOO! Hope in the Summer of 2009 CW 4 Kids reruns Sonic SAT AM from the 1990's!

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, they do re-launch the superhero shows each gen, (Batman, Superman, Spiderman, TMNT, X-men, etc.) but kids tend to prefer the version they grow up with than the previous.

Its funny how many different incarnations of those superhero shows are, its like every 5-8 years they get an idea to restart the franchise for a new gen of kids.

I always thought that was the general point of having different incarnations of superhero shows. They can't have one series on one superhero, especially if its popular or if it did really well, and never touch the franchise again. They usually reboot a series for a new audience since new kids are able to watch these shows every year. Instead of going with the same old thing, they go for something new. Nothing I see as something worth complaining about, but that's just how it is.

CyberCubed said:

Who says they have to care about the shows we like? Everyone has different tastes. While I haven't seen much of the new Chaotic season, I do really like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dinosaur King. Just because you don't see much of enjoyment in those series doesn't mean that they're bad shows. There are other people who do like those series as well.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Sonic X moves to CW 4 Kids! WOO WOO! Hope in the Summer of 2009 CW 4 Kids reruns Sonic SAT AM from the 1990's!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They're more likely to put Back to the Future TAS on again than air that.

CyberCubed

Who says they have to care about the shows we like? Everyone has different tastes. While I haven't seen much of the new Chaotic season, I do really like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dinosaur King. Just because you don't see much of enjoyment in those series doesn't mean that they're bad shows. There are other people who do like those series as well.

I mean that they are all monster based battling shows, something 4kids loves because they're desperately trying to repeat Pokemon's success.

They're still trying to find their new Pokemon, have they succeeded?

Yu-gi-oh is dying down and while Chaotic seems something of a hit, I certainly wouldn't call it a fad or anything.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I mean that they are all monster based battling shows, something 4kids loves because they're desperately trying to repeat Pokemon's success.

Yu-gi-oh is dying down and while Chaotic seems something of a hit, I certainly wouldn't call it a fad or anything.

While Chaotic is doing pretty well, especially for being out for only a year or so, I don't think that it's close to being Pokemon level of success. It's not even close to being Yu-Gi-Oh! level of success. It would be hard for anything to reach Pokemon's popularity in this day and age. Yu-Gi-Oh! is the number two TGC in the U.S. and Chaotic is number four and you still think that Yu-Gi-Oh! is dying down? The series is not so popular anymore, hasn't been for years, but the card game still sells quite well, especially for being out for eight years.

Mugsy

No Di-Gata Defenders??? :(

This was one of my current favorites, I guess I have to hope that CN picks this show up or something. Also, I think 7:30 is way to early for Spider-Man, I know a lot of people in their 20's who watch the show who don't get up until like 8:45 right before 9 when it comes on....

RayChuang

By the way, the 7:30 am slot may be reserved for the fourth season of Winx Club when that arrives probably late spring or summer 2009.

sdp

miscrave
Well besides "classic"/good shows we watched as kids we also all liked shows from our childhood that aren't particularly great and still like them now as adults even if its because of nostalgia. This generation has also grown with Avatar, Teen Titans, Amazing Spiderman etc. Those are all great, I'm sure there are more, especially if you're a kid and all you do is watch shows on television.
There will always be a generation gap but it won't be as big, I mean nowadays with the internet and dvds its easier than ever to watch old shows.

I mean with Cartoon network in the early/mid 90s and local channels I watched plenty of shows from the 80's as well as 'classics' like Looney Toons, The Flinstones/pretty much anything Hanna Barbera, etc. I saw plenty of shows 'not' from my generation.

We'll have to wait to see if this is true, I mean as a kid I did prefer the newer versions but there was no way the old batman/superman cartoons could compare to the Bruce Timm ones and newer Marvel series. Nowadays that the new versions aren't as good we'll know for sure which version they prefer. Although it might be difficult counting the DC/Marvel cartoons from the 90s are still being aired...

Though you might be right, I did prefer the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon over the old one when I was little even though if you ask anyone online they'll clearly tell you the older one was superior.

It would be hard for anything to reach Pokemon's popularity in this day and age.
Why would it be hard for something to reach Pokemon's popularity this day and age?
It can and will happen, its just not going to happen by trying to copy the monster battling formula like 4K!ds is trying. When something hits it big it just does. I mean I grew up with tons of fads from ninja turtles/power rangers/saint seiya/dragon ball and they were all huge. Pokemon was the last fad that interested me but look at Hannah Montana, thats a fad and if it was aimed at a more ambiguous demographic instead of mostly girls then it'd be even bigger. Another huge monster battling fad is unlikely though if thats maybe what you meant.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is the number two TGC in the U.S. and Chaotic is number four and you still think that Yu-Gi-Oh! is dying down? The series is not so popular anymore, hasn't been for years, but the card game still sells quite well, especially for being out for eight years.

Well the TCG is a bad example. I used to follow TCG's and worked with Pokemon USA with their TCG. TGO has fallen from being #1 and that is mainly because kids are not buying them as much. They still buy them but they are losing sales, so indeed YGO is dying in that sense. People who actually play the game there are still a lot of them however they don't care for the cartoon and they can keep the game alive but without the support the younger kids buy sales will keep going down. Thats what happened to Pokemon TCG, after the fad died it was the 'hardcore' players that kept the game alive for all these years since sales from younger kids weren't as big. However with the release of DP the game is now really big with younger kids again which is why its been #1 for nearly two years now. I'm sure its a lot more complicated than that but thats my view of it from being an Organizer in Pokemon and how I saw sales/organized play difference.

So yeah my point the YGO cardgame is a slowly dying game(among kids) and I doubt it has an influence on whether the cartoon airs or not.

DarthGonzo

Fourteen Years!
I mean with Cartoon network in the early/mid 90s and local channels I watched plenty of shows from the 80's as well as 'classics' like Looney Toons, The Flinstones/pretty much anything Hanna Barbera, etc.

Well, it's a shame that the only thing the execs at CN care about is what's hot and what's now. Seriously, I'm shocked they still even air Tom and Jerry. 10 years ago a 30 year-old and a 10 year-old could both watch CN and enjoy the same programming.

Now? Heh...don't make me laugh.

Rud

Nine Arts Dragon
wel, thanks to Kamen Rider and Huntik (sounds very interesting) i once again have a reason to wake up on saturday morning, dam you!!!!:p

Light Lucario

Staff member
Why would it be hard for something to reach Pokemon's popularity this day and age?
It can and will happen, its just not going to happen by trying to copy the monster battling formula like 4K!ds is trying. When something hits it big it just does. I mean I grew up with tons of fads from ninja turtles/power rangers/saint seiya/dragon ball and they were all huge. Pokemon was the last fad that interested me but look at Hannah Montana, thats a fad and if it was aimed at a more ambiguous demographic instead of mostly girls then it'd be even bigger. Another huge monster battling fad is unlikely though if thats maybe what you meant.

Yeah, I probably should have rephrased that statement. I actually did think of Hannah Montana after typing up that post, but then I don't know how that would have a lasting appeal after its popularity cools down. I did mean that another huge monster battling fad is unlikely to be as popular as Pokemon since I was trying to compare Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!'s popularity.

sdp said:
Well the TCG is a bad example. I used to follow TCG's and worked with Pokemon USA with their TCG. TGO has fallen from being #1 and that is mainly because kids are not buying them as much. They still buy them but they are losing sales, so indeed YGO is dying in that sense. People who actually play the game there are still a lot of them however they don't care for the cartoon and they can keep the game alive but without the support the younger kids buy sales will keep going down. Thats what happened to Pokemon TCG, after the fad died it was the 'hardcore' players that kept the game alive for all these years since sales from younger kids weren't as big. However with the release of DP the game is now really big with younger kids again which is why its been #1 for nearly two years now. I'm sure its a lot more complicated than that but thats my view of it from being an Organizer in Pokemon and how I saw sales/organized play difference.

So yeah my point the YGO cardgame is a slowly dying game(among kids) and I doubt it has an influence on whether the cartoon airs or not.

Well, Yu-Gi-Oh! is the second top sold TCG in the U.S. so I'm having a hard trouble seeing how going down from number one to number two means that its dying. It does show how less people are buying the cards and that more people are buying Pokemon cards, but I wouldn't really call that dying in any matter. If it isn't on the top five TCG sold, then that claim would make more sense to me. But the fact that it still is there and it still sells quite well makes me think that it still is doing well enough. I'm sure that the release of DP had a huge influence on the card game. Too bad that I never could really get into the Pokemon card game, but I always liked the art work on the cards anyway.

I always thought that the card game did have some influence on 4Kids airing the series. The main reason they do that is because of the revenue they get from the card game and other Yu-Gi-Oh! merchandise.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts