"The Marvels ("Captain Marvel" Sequel)" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
m.jpg

The Marvels
RELEASE DATE: November 10, 2023
July 28, 2023
February 17, 2023
November 11, 2022
JULY 8, 2022

Megan McDonnell has been hired to write a script after work on WandaVision is done.

Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck will not return as directors but stay on as producers. Marvel reportedly looking for a female director and aiming for a 2022
release.

Allegedly set in present day.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Megan McDonnell has been hired to write a script after work on WandaVision is done.
Guess Marvel Studios must have really liked her work on the show :).
Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck will not return as directors but stay on as producers. Marvel reportedly looking for a female director and aiming for a 2022 release.
Welp, can't always land that director consistency as much as you would like, but at least they're still involved ;).
Because not every female Superhero solo movie needs to be a period piece :p.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

That deserves a

Allegedly set in present day

That deserves a pretty big

Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck will not return as directors but stay on as producers. Marvel reportedly looking for a female director and aiming for a 2022
release.

And that deserves at least 5

Like I don't want to be mean to Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck who I'm sure tried their best but... honestly they brought like NOTHING to that movie that was really special or worth like keeping around. No offense to them or anything but if for various reasons Scott Derrikson wasn't going to be kept around for another Dr. Strange I was kind of hoping someone else would come around and replace them for another Captain Marvel film. At least Derrikson had some interesting visual ideas. These guys uh... liked out of context flashbacks I guess... honestly like with the original Avengers trinity, only one director really nailed it out of the park to really deserve to come back to do more. Which obviously with this bunch was Ryan Coogler who yeah if he was fired off Black Panther 2 that would be bad but this... yeah I'm all for.

And though I didn't like the two's film that much I still wasn't on the hate train for Captain Marvel or Brie Larson's take on the character and am perfectly fine with more. Part of me still wants to go with that idea of her coming back to Earth and getting her powers siphoned slowly away by Rogue and having to team up with Monica Rambau (who like becomes Photon) and Ms. Marvel Kamala Kahn but that's just me. I'd also be fine establishing more of the Kree/Skull war especially as that's what the teaser for Spider Man Far From Home teased (of you know Nick Fury working with the Skrulls setting up SWORD... I guess also going on vacation but you know hope the later is that) to have more Fury/Carol bits but I'd still be fine with more on the character. Especially as now we're not only in different hands but also past the origin. Thor IMHO got a lot better once we had an arc for him passed his intro (even in Thor the Dark World I liked him a lot more then in the original Thor) and I think Carol can too except for all the trolls totally willing just to hate on her for the sake of hating.

Freddy

I'm sure that Kevin Feige is aware that, despite making billion dollars, the first Captain Marvel didn't exactly set the World on fire like Wonder Woman or Black Panther did. Not saying it doesn't have its passionate fans, but I think it's fair to say that the common consensus was that it was fine, but nothing noteworthy. And considering that Marvel is/was banking on Captain Marvel being the next cornerstone of MCU, it's understandable why they would want to take the sequel to a new direction.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
The last film turned out the way it did was because of the directing and how the script clearly needed an extra rewrite to create a more coherent story.

It wasn't a bad movie it just could have been a lot better, ironically if it came out in the 90's it would probably be the best Superhero movie of the decade.

Freddy

Although, to be fair, it probably also didn't help that Brie Larson shot her scenes for the Endgame before her own movie, so both movies had to play it safe with the character to not to step on each others toes. Hopefully, the sequel has more creative freedom.

reflection01

That deserves a

That deserves a pretty big

And that deserves at least 5

Like I don't want to be mean to Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck who I'm sure tried their best but... honestly they brought like NOTHING to that movie that was really special or worth like keeping around. No offense to them or anything but if for various reasons Scott Derrikson wasn't going to be kept around for another Dr. Strange I was kind of hoping someone else would come around and replace them for another Captain Marvel film. At least Derrikson had some interesting visual ideas. These guys uh... liked out of context flashbacks I guess... honestly like with the original Avengers trinity, only one director really nailed it out of the park to really deserve to come back to do more. Which obviously with this bunch was Ryan Coogler who yeah if he was fired off Black Panther 2 that would be bad but this... yeah I'm all for.

And though I didn't like the two's film that much I still wasn't on the hate train for Captain Marvel or Brie Larson's take on the character and am perfectly fine with more. Part of me still wants to go with that idea of her coming back to Earth and getting her powers siphoned slowly away by Rogue and having to team up with Monica Rambau (who like becomes Photon) and Ms. Marvel Kamala Kahn but that's just me. I'd also be fine establishing more of the Kree/Skull war especially as that's what the teaser for Spider Man Far From Home teased (of you know Nick Fury working with the Skrulls setting up SWORD... I guess also going on vacation but you know hope the later is that) to have more Fury/Carol bits but I'd still be fine with more on the character. Especially as now we're not only in different hands but also past the origin. Thor IMHO got a lot better once we had an arc for him passed his intro (even in Thor the Dark World I liked him a lot more then in the original Thor) and I think Carol can too except for all the trolls totally willing just to hate on her for the sake of hating.

If you’ve got the rights to Carol and Rogue, seems like you’ve got to do it.

I’m hoping Marvel Studios plans to take their time with the X-Universe and really build up those characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Though there was a lot of talk about how important Carol and Peter would be to the MCU's line up going forward so it would make sense to obviously have them as spotlight characters for a New Avengers, honestly I kind of thought if we were going to have a focus on a team in a Captain Marvel sequel it would be an A Force set up. I mean wasn't that whole ladies group shot done in Endgame to try and tease audiences what that team would be like thus wouldn't you want to do a movie with them? Maybe like it's more an A force team up but it ends with Captain Marvel deciding to set up her own Avengers team and be more involved on earth for some reason or another (as you would think an Avengers team lead would need to be) setting up The New Avengers. I guess we'll find out fairly quickly if this movie is coming in two something years but honestly I heard another rumor saying they weren't going to do anything major Avengers related in awhile and focus more just on you know the solo heroes. We'll have some sort of Avengers in the future but likely more towards the end of a phase 5 or 6 then in like a few years time. I also kind of wanted to see Ant Man and Wasp head up a Young Avengers team before we had New Avengers but eh dependent on whose doing it could be good. Though wait wasn't this sequel supposed to have a female director helming it so what "fan favorite" person are they talking about then with this rumor tease?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
^Yeah, I recall they were looking at female directors. I'm unsure if this article means she is the same one to direct this Avengers movies or if they're alluding to someone else. I think the latter.

Fascinating. Figured this would focus on Carol and S.W.O.R.D. but perhaps it will be seeding the need for the Avengers to continue, too? Hmm. I mean, without Thanos around, there's got to be a power vacuum in space and this movie could bring up who the next big cosmic threats to Earth are. Plus, Carol could have made a lot of enemies in the decades she spent in space.

reflection01

What Avengers would be in a mini-Avengers film in Phase 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I could see War Machine, Scarlet Witch, Falcon/Captain America, Captain Marvel of course, Ant-Man, Wasp, maybe Black Panther, maybe Doctor Strange, and maybe Spider-Man if he ever gets exonerated. I'm on the fence about Hulk, Thor, or Hawkeye. Maybe some of these 12 will only be reserves - like for instance we don't yet know if Professor Hulk's arm will or can be healed so would he refrain from fights? Or Hawkeye, what's his status going to be after his show - finally retired/crippled - and will he have Kate Bishop put on the team in his place?

Neo Ultra Mike

Hmmm they could also make this that A-Force movie that was "teased" in Endgame and have this feature mostly the female MCU heroes. I mean if we're getting Miss Marvel I could also see them finding a way to put in Wasp, Valkyrie, Yelena Black Widow (since hey it was said she'd be the new BW after Natasha so why not start putting her into other films), Shuri, Okoye, heck if it involves Skrulls thus aliens also find a way to throw Nebula and Gamora in there. Like I mean if they are going to go hard on the Avengers characters why not throw down that gauntlet?

Though part of me also would like a focus of Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange. Because yeah aren't those supposed to be the three big new Avengers and second Trinity of characters since we're likely not going to see Iron man, Thor and Captain America Together again so shouldn't we get a focus of that new trinity in some form down the line? Either way a lot of these are just speculative rumors at this point so we'll see what actually begins to gel in the coming months/years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts