Things in animation that haven't aged well

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I distinctly remember around that point of time how a majority of people I was going to high school with still didn't have Facebook, as MySpace was "good enough" even though the tide was turning towards the latter. By the time we graduated in 2010, almost no one was still using MySpace.

And I believe Kick-Ass came out that summer, where MySpace was used quite heavily. I remember that feeling pretty dated right away.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Got one. And it's one that pisses me off and has been done more than once on The Simpsons.

Rainer Wolfcastle's Antisemitism is WAY out of line while he is supposedly taking a shot at Arnold Schwarzenegger. They did one of those jokes as recently as last season, and after seeing Arnold's moving videos about the struggles his working class father went through with his hatred, and how much his visit to the Holocaust Museum moved him, and how much he was cautioning Americans not to make the same mistakes Germany and Austria did, I'm like "How dare they?!" It's not just a low-blow. It's become outright offensive. And it pisses me off.

Zorak Masaki

Got one. And it's one that pisses me off and has been done more than once on The Simpsons.

Rainer Wolfcastle's Antisemitism is WAY out of line while he is supposedly taking a shot at Arnold Schwarzenegger. They did one of those jokes as recently as last season, and after seeing Arnold's moving videos about the struggles his working class father went through with his hatred, and how much his visit to the Holocaust Museum moved him, and how much he was cautioning Americans not to make the same mistakes Germany and Austria did, I'm like "How dare they?!" It's not just a low-blow. It's become outright offensive. And it pisses me off.
I dont even know why they started leaning into that direction with him (they did it as early as Season 5, which is why Cape Feare is banned in Germany). If it's because Arnold isnt as popular nowadays, just dont use him anymore, or do something different with him.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
When Arnold was running for governor in 2003, some off-hand comments that he made a couple decades ago surfaced that he once expressed an admiration for certain aspects of Hitler's rise to power (as Arnold would emphasize, NOT what he DID with that power). Also it was discovered his father was a Nazi for a time. Today I Am a Clown came out in December 2003 so perhaps it was referencing that. That doesn't explain the Cape Feare stuff though.

At any rate, I agree, it's a cheap shot, especially since he's flat out denounced Hitler, there's nothing in his past or present to suggest that he's sympathetic to Nazis or their beliefs, and he's spoken out against hate and specifically... certain people with dictatorial aspirations. Won't say any more than that b/c politics rule.

The fact that they apparently made a similar "joke" only recently is appalling. (I'll have to take your word for it, Fone. I haven't watched new episodes of The Simpsons in a long time)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
When Arnold was running for governor in 2003, some off-hand comments that he made a couple decades ago surfaced that he once expressed an admiration for certain aspects of Hitler's rise to power (as Arnold would emphasize, NOT what he DID with that power). Also it was discovered his father was a Nazi for a time. Today I Am a Clown came out in December 2003 so perhaps it was referencing that. That doesn't explain the Cape Feare stuff though.

At any rate, I agree, it's a cheap shot, especially since he's flat out denounced Hitler, there's nothing in his past or present to suggest that he's sympathetic to Nazis or their beliefs, and he's spoken out against hate and specifically... certain people with dictatorial aspirations. Won't say any more than that b/c politics rule.

The fact that they apparently made a similar "joke" only recently is appalling. (I'll have to take your word for it, Fone. I haven't watched new episodes of The Simpsons in a long time)
His testimony about visiting the Holocaust Museum was SO moving to me and him imploring people not to let it happen again made me a bit teary. And The Simpsons just continues with the cheap shots. It pisses me off.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I'm gonna take a guess and the writers are probably like "But but it's not Arnold, it's Rainier Wolfcastle! They're two totally different people! Rainier is racist but Arnold isn't!" And if that's the defense it's like, who are you fooling? Rainier is based on Arnold, there's no question about that. President Schwarzenegger in the Simpsons Movie is almost indistinguishable from Rainier. For all means and purposes it's the same guy, it's barely a parody. And if you're going to throw out jokes that Arnold is a Nazi, you better have the receipts to back it up.

And while we're at it, the "Walt Disney hated Jewish people" trope? Can we put that urban legend to bed too please?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's amazing to me how much of The Simpsons is totally problematic in hindsight. They only started hiring Black voice actors a couple of seasons ago. We took this stuff for granted when we should have been complaining about it the entire time. Whatever one thinks about "The Problem With Apu" it has value because it gives us permission to call out a supposed sacred cow for bad behavior. We're allowed to be mad at racism and stereotypes and not think it's all in good fun. This goes for Family Guy too. Also South Park.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
Whatever one thinks about "The Problem With Apu" it has value because it gives us permission to call out a supposed sacred cow for bad behavior. We're allowed to be mad at racism and stereotypes and not think it's all in good fun.
I just wish Problem With Apu was done more professionally and not produced by someone who actively contributed to harmful stereotypes himself. Everything else is fair enough.

I still believe it’s a horrible film but I’ll rightfully acknowledge it as an ultimate catalyst for major changes since 2016.

Edit: I just checked back and am baffled to remember the film only dropped in late 2017. My recollection of the past decade must be a hazy blur as I could’ve sworn it being mid 2015.

Last edited:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Yes, please. I was never a fan of said urban legend to begin with.
Also, I'd wish the "Walt Disney was cryogenically frozen" urban legend would die, as well. He was cremated and his remains interred at Forest Lawn Cemetary in Hollywood, about as far from that as you can get.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
Robot Chicken’s the cavalcade of aging poorly. Too many examples.

Laughed my ass off night after night when it first started premiering, so I’m always amazed by going back and seeing how even some of the best stuff they had was schlocky.

Lindsay Lohan being one of their top consistent jabs, to give you an idea. Not many shows today point to a female celeb and laugh repeatedly at what a junkie wreck she is.

People have apologized for making Britney Spears a lolcow.

Besides the already existing issue in the past on hiring women, Robot Chicken’s the unspoken highest offender when people start talking about misogyny at Adult Swim.

Weird for me to say this years after the crew sent me signed DVDs... I don’t know. Can’t sugarcoat their reputation.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Robot Chicken’s the cavalcade of aging poorly. Too many examples.

Laughed my ass off night after night when it first started premiering, so I’m always amazed by going back and seeing how even some of the best stuff they had was schlocky.

Lindsay Lohan being one of their top consistent jabs, to give you an idea. Not many shows today point to a female celeb and laugh repeatedly at what a junkie wreck she is.

People have apologized for making Britney Spears a lolcow.

Besides the already existing issue in the past on hiring women, Robot Chicken’s the unspoken highest offender when people start talking about misogyny at Adult Swim.

Weird for me to say this years after the crew sent me signed DVDs... I don’t know. Can’t sugarcoat their reputation.
Of course the ultimate examples: Monica Lewinsky and Paris Hilton. Both were mercilessly mocked and character assassinated for years. Really sickening in hindsight how a lot of people just passively went along with it (or actively, in many cases). And hey, I'll be the first to admit: I laughed at those jokes back then too. Not my prouder moments.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I've always hated Robot Chicken. I guess I'm proud of the fact that I never found it funny and mostly patently offensive. In fact, I've slammed it in Gilda And Meek.

They don't even usually tell jokes. I'm just supposed to find junkie Big Bird and crack whore Hello Kitty funny all on their own. They're not.

Somebody needs to tell Seth Green his passion project sucks.

About Lewinsky:

I am mostly ashamed of my earlier iterations of Gilda And Meek, and the fourth wall breaking trainwreck it USED to be will never see the light of day. That said I'm proud of the fact that I did a joke in it suggesting people talking crap about Bill Clinton supposedly being out of her league and him degrading himself with their affair were wrong to do it. I actually suggested she was hot, he was gross, and it was other way around. You will never see that gag strip, but I am proud it existed.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Seconded, and I don’t think it’s bad owning up to this.

I care more about responsibility than finger wagging when it comes to this stuff, and I’m not the most PC guy on the block either.
I have plenty of pop-culture shames in my past. I didn't just put UP with the original, gross and creepy Quantum Leap. I ENJOYED it at the time. What the hell was wrong with me?

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
It's amazing to me how much of The Simpsons is totally problematic in hindsight. They only started hiring Black voice actors a couple of seasons ago. We took this stuff for granted when we should have been complaining about it the entire time. Whatever one thinks about "The Problem With Apu" it has value because it gives us permission to call out a supposed sacred cow for bad behavior. We're allowed to be mad at racism and stereotypes and not think it's all in good fun. This goes for Family Guy too. Also South Park.
I mean, even several now-controversial Hollywood cartoons from the 1940s had Black actors voice Black characters....

Sam the Cartoonist

I have plenty of pop-culture shames in my past. I didn't just put UP with the original, gross and creepy Quantum Leap. I ENJOYED it at the time. What the hell was wrong with me?
I know this is a little off-topic, but what aged badly about Quantum Leap? All I know about the show is that it was a sci-fi cult classic.

Zorak Masaki

Clerks: The Animated Series. Dont get me wrong, I like it and still consider it my fav part of the View Askew-verse (though it may or may not be canon) but then you had the constant gay jokes, some of the celebrity bashing sometimes came off as cruel (like Randall browbeating George Lucas), and even the character designs dont lend themselves well to more expressive moments.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Clerks: The Animated Series. Dont get me wrong, I like it and still consider it my fav part of the View Askew-verse (though it may or may not be canon) but then you had the constant gay jokes, some of the celebrity bashing sometimes came off as cruel (like Randall browbeating George Lucas), and even the character designs dont lend themselves well to more expressive moments.
You know what, that's fair. Not all the humor in the show has aged well. I still consider the show comfort food and enjoy many moments, but yeah, it definitely had the homophobia that was popular in the era (albeit slowly getting out of fashion). I must disagree about the character designs though. As Stephen Silver's follow-up Kim Possible showed us, those designs were streamlined so much that fluid animation was easier to make. I think it was more the attitude that "adult animation can't be cartoony" that held it back, not the designs themselves.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts