Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I don’t like Looney Tunes, Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures. :daffy:

BURN THE WITCH!!!!

-Just kidding.

I love all of those things, plus I've always liked Cartoon Network in its' heyday over Nick, but you seem really nice based on your posts and I respect other peoples' opinions. It's just that I rarely encounter folks who don't like Looney Tunes. I'm not a fan of Doug or Hey, Arnold!, nor do get a big kick out of anime, but I respect and can get along with people who do. Unfortunately, respecting others' views, including the ones we don't agree with, also seems to be an unpopular thing on the internet.

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
I don’t like Looney Tunes, Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures. :daffy:

Anyway, as a fan of the Looney Tunes shorts, I do disagree with your take wholeheartedly. I love nearly all of then (Yes even a lot of the ones before 1935 and after 1964). I do wonder WHY you don’t like those cartoons though (though I suspect it may be because you’re more into Disney).

I will say though, from what I’ve heard from various sources, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are actually more divisive than what the general public thinks. From what I’ve heard, a lot of diehard animation fans and people from both in and out of the animation industry dislike it, mostly down to their troubled productions (ESPECIALLY Tiny Toons) but also due to the characters, the animation and the writing of those shows as well.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
Gargoyles is my least favorite show from the Disney Afternoon lineup.

Anyway, as a fan of the Looney Tunes shorts, I do disagree with your take wholeheartedly. I love nearly all of then (Yes even a lot of the ones before 1935 and after 1964). I do wonder WHY you don’t like those cartoons though (though I suspect it may be because you’re more into Disney).

Yep, that's it. I do think "Robin Hood Daffy" is hilarious, though. :daffy:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I've rarely come across someone who doesn't like Looney Tunes. LT is one of those franchises that even if you're not a die-hard fan (I love Looney Tunes, btw), most people that I've spoken to at least like Looney Tunes.

Myself, I've never liked Rugrats, and every time that I've mentioned that online, someone wants me to explain why I don't like the show, as if their minds can't fathom the idea that there are people out there who aren't Rugrats fans.

Honestly, Rocko's Modern Life is the only Nicktoon that I would rate higher than just OK (except for maybe early SpongeBob Squarepants).

aegisrawks

I've rarely come across someone who doesn't like Looney Tunes. LT is one of those franchises that even if you're not a die-hard fan (I love Looney Tunes, btw), most people that I've spoken to at least like Looney Tunes.

Myself, I've never liked Rugrats, and every time that I've mentioned that online, someone wants me to explain why I don't like the show, as if their minds can't fathom the idea that there are people out there who aren't Rugrats fans.

Honestly, Rocko's Modern Life is the only Nicktoon that I would rate higher than just OK (except for maybe early SpongeBob Squarepants).
Its a kids show, I am not saying this to say "NEENER NEENER UR OPINION DOESNT COUNT" its just that its a show that does its job as a kids show and unless you grew up with it or watched it with your kids to bond you really wont appreciate what people see in it, let alone liking it.

I dont get the appeal of Huckleberry Hound but I LOVE HIM because he made so many people happy, Andrea Romano one of the sweetest people ever to work in animation loves him and since I learned that I love him too.

And that Huckleberry Hound tangent wasnt to defend Rugrats but mention my love for him.

Below I am quoting Andrea Romano

I went over to HB which was truly the joy of my life. They were doing a bunch of the old HB classics and Daws Butler (who was as tall as I) walked in. Could he have been a sweeter human being? More generous, kind, talented? No. The only reason Daws wasn't as well known as Mel Blanc was that Mel had a publicist. Daws didn't and he had equally as much talent if not more. I'm not saying anything negative about Mel. Mel was stunning, but Daws Butler was remarkable.
Daws walked in and as I shook his hand I said "Mr. Butler, I have to tell you that Huckleberry Hound was my favorite cartoon ever!" And he opened his mouth and spoke to me as Huckleberry Hound and my reaction was bizarre: I burst into tears. I just reverted into a five-year-old-kid in front of the TV in my Dr. Denton footy pajamas with a bowl of cereal thinking about this cartoon and how much this meant to me. My husband asked me not too long ago which my favorite cartoon was and I said Huckleberry Hound. He asked why and it took me a while to think about it and I thought because Huckleberry Hound talked to the camera. He looked and talked right to the camera and I thought he was specifically talking to me, Andrea Romano.
Also John K can absolutely walk off a cliff if you ask me, when he messed with Andrea, I knew he was bad stuff.

harry580

for the franchise thing, what about ice age & rio, aka two of my favorite franchises by blue sky studios, sure, ice age 5 & 6 are bad but ice age is still my favorite franchise & rio 2 has some mixed reactions but rio is still my favorite franchise

Last edited:

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
for the franchise thing, what about ice age & rio, aka two of my favorite franchises by blue sky studios, sure, ice age 5 & 6 are bad but ice age is still my favorite franchise & since rio 2 has some mixed reactions but rio is still my favorite franchise
I knew you’d probably say that you love Rio. I mean, you’re profile pic is that bird couple from those movies.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
for the franchise thing, what about ice age & rio, aka two of my favorite franchises by blue sky studios, sure, ice age 5 & 6 are bad but ice age is still my favorite franchise & since rio 2 has some mixed reactions but rio is still my favorite franchise
You can still love the franchise and not like the other installments. I love the Toy Story franchise, but I didn't like Toy Story 4 all that much.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
I may be a big Disney fan but I am a much bigger fan of DC Comics characters than I am of Marvel's.

I've only found one episode of Rugrats that I still enjoy watching "The Santa Experience"

and that's because it is a Christmas episode that I have a lot of happy nostalgia for.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
My brother and sister also didn't like Looney Tunes, maybe because I liked it. I also loved The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries and Duck Dodgers as a child.

I don't like Animaniacs and I find it incredibly hard to explain why. It's a very cold show and the abundance of inside jokes makes me feel stupid and makes me think the writers are smug. It has never made me laugh. Some people don't like the 2020 episodes because "they are too political and depressing" but the original 90s series is exactly like that, except that many people don't understand the old jokes. (Well, I personally don't and I think most 90s and 00s kids don't either) However, the tone is still set and you don't need to understand the jokes to know that it's cynical and smug.

Mind you, I don't actually hate serious stuff. I sometimes like watching something that makes me cry. However, cynical stuff is not for me.

I have never really seen Tiny Toon Adventures, but I have never felt the need to give it a chance because it looks exactly like Animaniacs, maybe less political but equally smug.
Same, see my post here. I actually don't understand how it got so popular. Life be wild sometimes.
Surprisingly, this is not an unpopular opinion. Lots of ToonZoners only like a couple of Nicktoons and Rocko's Modern Life is often one of them. (for me, it's Hey Arnold and Avatar)

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I liked Animaniacs a lot when the show originally aired. I didn't see much of the 2020 revival, since I don't have Hulu, but what I did see of it, I found it to be just "mid", as the kids say.

Ironically, I while I liked Pinky and the Brain as a recurring segment on A!, I never cared much for the P&tB spinoff.

aegisrawks

I liked Animaniacs a lot when the show originally aired. I didn't see much of the 2020 revival, since I don't have Hulu, but what I did see of it, I found it to be just "mid", as the kids say.

Ironically, I while I liked Pinky and the Brain as a recurring segment on A!, I never cared much for the P&tB spinoff.
I know this makes me sound bad but I wished for a response lol. I wanted to know why you liked Huckleberry Hound, it would be nice.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I know this makes me sound bad but I wished for a response lol. I wanted to know why you liked Huckleberry Hound, it would be nice.
Sure, I'll tell you.

Interestingly, Huckleberry Hound isn't my favorite cartoon character, or even my favorite Hanna-Barbera character, but I do like Huckleberry Hound. His cartoons were funny, and there's something about his laid-back demeanor that I just find amusing.

For my current avatar, in order for the joke on the tagline to work, I needed a picture of a cartoon dog, and Huck was as good a choice as any.

aegisrawks

Sure, I'll tell you.

Interestingly, Huckleberry Hound isn't my favorite cartoon character, or even my favorite Hanna-Barbera character, but I do like Huckleberry Hound. His cartoons were funny, and there's something about his laid-back demeanor that I just find amusing.

For my current avatar, in order for the joke on the tagline to work, I needed a picture of a cartoon dog, and Huck was as good a choice as any.
That sounds great, Doraemon is not my favorite character either but it was a very appealing looking avatar so I used it.

khuddle

I was speaking about this more generally, but yeah Star Wars and especially Marvel is a good example of how a beloved franchise has completely fall from grace, all thanks to a greedy ass corporation like Disney likes to run them into the ground by making stupid decisions after stupid decisions. It’s no wonder why people lost interest in them because of stuff like this.

To Marvels credit, it isn't really because they've pumped out bad movies though (personally,I liked a lot of their stuff up until about Avengers: Endgame). Its just that they've pumped out too many of them. Even the most ardent fan is going to grow restless after a while.
Star Wars OTOH has put out bad product after bad product. A once devoted fan, I gave up on the franchise around the Mandalorian Season 3.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
To Marvels credit, it isn't really because they've pumped out bad movies though (personally,I liked a lot of their stuff up until about Avengers: Endgame). Its just that they've pumped out too many of them. Even the most ardent fan is going to grow restless after a while.
Sure. I honestly pin the blame on Bob Chapek for the quality of the Marvel projects after Phase 3. It's going to take them a long while for them to recover.
Star Wars OTOH has put out bad product after bad product. A once devoted fan, I gave up on the franchise around the Mandalorian Season 3.
Yeah, Star Wars was just......ugh lol That's a WHOLE different can of worms for another time. I don't want to get into that.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts