Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I've rarely come across someone who doesn't like Looney Tunes. LT is one of those franchises that even if you're not a die-hard fan (I love Looney Tunes, btw), most people that I've spoken to at least like Looney Tunes.

Myself, I've never liked Rugrats, and every time that I've mentioned that online, someone wants me to explain why I don't like the show, as if their minds can't fathom the idea that there are people out there who aren't Rugrats fans.

Honestly, Rocko's Modern Life is the only Nicktoon that I would rate higher than just OK (except for maybe early SpongeBob Squarepants).

Feel like as a kid, I liked Looney Tunes at first, but I would grow bored with them because I found them repetitive.

aegisrawks

I didnt grow up loving Looney Tunes but the gushing from the fans who PROPERLY explained the quality and good points the shorts had made me realized they ARE GOOD, it is a very good Animated Franchise.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Myself, I've never liked Rugrats, and every time that I've mentioned that online, someone wants me to explain why I don't like the show, as if their minds can't fathom the idea that there are people out there who aren't Rugrats fans.
I'm a big Rugrats fan, it's my favorite Nicktoon. Yeah, I can see why someone wouldn't like it there are things in it that people can find not to like about it. There are somethings I don't like about it even though it's my favorite Nicktoon. I can also see why someone would be surprised, because again I think there's a lot of fun and charm in the series, it was one of Nick's biggest shows and still holds the record for having the highest rated broadcast on the network and has a star, so seeing someone not be a fan it probably surprises a fan because of how big it is.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Feel like as a kid, I liked Looney Tunes at first, but I would grow bored with them because I found them repetitive.
It's weird how the classic Tom and Jerry shorts felt less repetitive with just two characters (but only 166 shorts).

As iconic as the Road Runner and Will E. Coyote are, their 50 shorts repeat the same jokes over and over again. Some shorts are literal copies of another short.

khuddle

Arcane is a wildly, wildly overrated show. The animation technique was interesting, true enough, but it still needs to be perfected. The writing OTOH was nothing special and I didn't find any of the characters (including Jinx) to be that interesting or memorable.

Yet there is this whole legion of neckbeards on the internet who will eviscerate you if you dare to criticize that show.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Dragon Ball, Naruto, Avatar: TLA, and Demon Slayer are pretty good action cartoons but One Piece and Fairy Tail are even better. One Piece and Fairy Tail have more fantastical themes and better more interesting worldbuilding and overall are great animated alternatives to Pirates of the Caribbean and fantasy series like Game of Thrones.

Pooky

Staff member
I will say though, from what I’ve heard from various sources, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are actually more divisive than what the general public thinks. From what I’ve heard, a lot of diehard animation fans and people from both in and out of the animation industry dislike it, mostly down to their troubled productions (ESPECIALLY Tiny Toons) but also due to the characters, the animation and the writing of those shows as well.

I recently saw some discussion that Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers was at least partly intended as a jab at Tiny Toons. I take it with a pinch of salt (it was one of those cases where someone was extrapolating a lot from a brief interview comment, acting as if it was several pages of sworn testimony), but it was interesting to hear about.

As iconic as the Road Runner and Will E. Coyote are, their 50 shorts repeat the same jokes over and over again. Some shorts are literal copies of another short.

First part is debatably true, second isn't. There are no Road Runner shorts that are literally copies of the other shorts. The Wild Chase is like a re-animated Greatest Hits package, but that is not the same thing.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
First part is debatably true, second isn't. There are no Road Runner shorts that are literally copies of the other shorts. The Wild Chase is like a re-animated Greatest Hits package, but that is not the same thing.
You seem to be right. I truly remember there being two shorts that were the same but with a different title card.

Zip 'n Snort has a gag that was reused in Roadrunner a Go-Go. Other than that and The Wild Chase, there were no recycled gags.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
The Adventures of the Road Runner was edited down into Zip-Zip-Hooray and Road Runner a Go-Go; neither of those had unique footage. The catch is most people who hadn't caught the pilot in 1962 and weren't LT aficionados wouldn't be aware of this, as the Road Runner pilot didn't re-air anywhere; Looney Tunes in syndication always used Zip-Zip-Hooray and Road Runner a Go-Go instead. (There was also To Beep or Not to Beep, but that had an entirely new score by Bill Lava and had a couple unique things not found in the pilot)

Mejo

Jukebox Bird
I recently saw some discussion that Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers was at least partly intended as a jab at Tiny Toons. I take it with a pinch of salt (it was one of those cases where someone was extrapolating a lot from a brief interview comment, acting as if it was several pages of sworn testimony), but it was interesting to hear about.
I don’t think that the cartoon was partially intended as a jab at Tiny Toons specifically, more so a jab at cheaply produced cartoons and poor interpretations of classic cartoon characters as a whole (I’ve actually heard that one of the directors (I believe Greg Ford) actually praised that show before). I take that rumor with the same amount of salt like I do with the claims that Jones called Tiny Toons a “r*tarded stepchild” and claimed that Bugs Bunny was genderfluid, I won’t believe those claims until I see valid evidence (and no, random unverified Tweets from dubious sources don’t count).
You also have to remember that people who originally saw these cartoons in theaters usually saw these cartoons (and sometimes saw these characters) only once and never again. A theater never showcased let’s say, 10 Popeye cartoons or 10 Daffy Duck cartoons in a row. So people often didn’t get tired of seeing Roadrunner cartoons or called them repetitive as they usually didn’t see the Roadrunner’s whole filmography. That’s different from nowadays, where we have all of the shorts online and we can go and watch them and see them evolve and change overtime.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
As a follow up to oney pervious posts in this thread, I think Phantom 2040 is an underrated gem and in some ways is better than Batman Beyond.

Don't get me wrong, Batman Beyond is good, but Phantom 2040 felt more dire and had bigger stakes. The US and most nation states collapsed in Phantom 2040 and the planet was slowly dying, the stakes never felt as great in Batman Beyond.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
I think Phineas and Ferb are the least interesting characters on their show

even though the show named after them.

I think Big City Greens would be better (for me) if the main character's voice wasn't so annoying.

I know I would've watched it for more than two seconds and given the show more of a chance

if I didn't think Cricket's voice was so obnoxious.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

I think Phineas and Ferb are the least interesting characters on their show

even though the show named after them.

I think Big City Greens would be better (for me) if the main character's voice wasn't so annoying.

I know I would've watched it for more than two seconds and given the show more of a chance

if I didn't think Cricket's voice was so obnoxious.
I have another unpopular opinion. NO ONE seems to care about Ferb. Not even Phineas, the whole PhinaBella episode was all about how they finally got together and relegated FERB GOING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY TO STUDY ACROSS THE WORLD AND NO ONE CARED. The relationship that the show is named after, the one involving Phineas and Ferb is a LIE.

I really hope Swampy and his pal fix this ASAP. Poor Ferb.

Sparklefan1234

Tangled Sparkle Duck
Looking back at things now, I prefer the 1990 live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie

over any of their animated TV shows.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts