Warner Bros. Discovery News & Discussion Thread

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
What's wrong with ESPN's coverage of the MLB? Just curious.

Not to go too far off topic. I find ESPN to just not be good at all, I could say this about almost any of the bigger sports and be the same thing almost. That's why I never want them to have the Olympics, unless Disney doesn't own the network anymore. In baseball, off the games themselves, they don't really seem to care to cover it ,even on their awful debate shows. They don't have a dedicated show to baseball on daily like the NFL and NBA get. Their coverage , since they tend to get a say in what Sunday Night games they get, is very few teams get featured, biased on those teams. They had bad announcing, A-Rod shouldn't have been there as long as he was. They also do stuff like interviews in the game, and weird stuff. They actually only a couple years stopped having the score ticker up during the entire games. Their alt cast is the Yankees broadcaster and and former Yankees player (A-ROD). They fill like they phone it in it.
Turner Sports and FOX are WAAAAY better , NBC's Peacock games were perfection, even Apple TV's is better. My complaints with ESPN in general would fill a entire website. Post season was fun because after 1 game there was no more ESPN for rest of the year. Now it's after the Wild Card round. At there, they put some games on ABC, also don't get on how I feel ABC has been treated, and they use varied talent for it.. I think TBS would be a better spot, even better would be NBC, but yeah.

Moe

Yeah, Discovery people, just get it go. It's over, you lost the rights. Didn't want to pay a higher price, I understand. Just give up, and make a deal with Amazon to produce their NBA broadcasts since they need someone like how NBC does their football broadcasts. Save the lawsuit money and please somehow take ESPN/Disney's MLB rights instead.
Agreed, WBD needs to move on and let Amazon have it, so sue NBA won't do everything in WBD's favor but WBD would end up to have to pay hefty lawyer cost that can be used to make original series on TNT, or use money to improve the Cartoon Network.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
They could have a settlement where WBD gets a 4th package.

Moe

They could have a settlement where WBD gets a 4th package.
@LinusFan303 said there is no room to left for WBD to take 4th package because NBC/Peacock took 33.3%, ESPN/ABC took 33.3% and Amazon took 33.3% that NBA sold to 3 networks. NBA would rather to get lawsuit thrown out or monetary based settlement without award NBA games, otherwise NBA would have to butcher the deal from Amazon to make a room for WBD that would damage NBA's reputation in long term, and it make a deal looks like not competitive. If WBD cares about NBA games so they should compete by outbid NBC/Peacock at first place, even with WBD's heavy debt. Take some NBA games away from Amazon is going to make Amazon very hostile to WBD and end up take NBA and WBD to court.

Your best bet is ask the Congress to legislate the bill to require all sport leagues to sell streaming and linear TV separately to protect the sport games on linear TV, rather than let streaming services take all of sport games, so it would enable WBD to get linear TV part, but they cannot air on Max if they don't get streaming part.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
@LinusFan303 said there is no room to left for WBD to take 4th package because NBC/Peacock took 33.3%, ESPN/ABC took 33.3% and Amazon took 33.3% that NBA sold to 3 networks. NBA would rather to get lawsuit thrown out or monetary based settlement without award NBA games, otherwise NBA would have to butcher the deal from Amazon to make a room for WBD that would damage NBA's reputation in long term, and it make a deal looks like not competitive. If WBD cares about NBA games so they should compete by outbid NBC/Peacock at first place, even with WBD's heavy debt. Take some NBA games away from Amazon is going to make Amazon very hostile to WBD and end up take NBA and WBD to court.

Your best bet is ask the Congress to legislate the bill to require all sport leagues to sell streaming and linear TV separately to protect the sport games on linear TV, rather than let streaming services take all of sport games, so it would enable WBD to get linear TV part, but they cannot air on Max if they don't get streaming part.
If Amazon takes the NBA and WBD to court, a settlement of that would be Amazon buying WBD, which is something I want anyway because I want the MGM libraries to be reunited.

Moe

Mostly likely NBA gets lawsuit thrown out or monetary based settlement, whichever is first.

Amazon don't want to buy a company with very large debt because it could drain very fast with complicated financial structure, especially tax, however Amazon could take WB Studios part and let Turner cable channels die.

Moe

Wow. That's a bold thing to say. Why is that?
because Amazon heavily invested in streaming and they see streaming as future since linear cable channels are losing a lot of money that Amazon don't like it.

It could take a mistake to cause Amazon to lose a lot of money.

Other member say Amazon buy WBD - good luck and if Amazon is interested, so they are likely to take some parts that make most money, kinda like other companies want to split the Paramount to exclude linear cable asset, so WBD wouldn't be immune to that.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
because Amazon heavily invested in streaming and they see streaming as future since linear cable channels are losing a lot of money that Amazon don't like it.

It could take a mistake to cause Amazon to lose a lot of money.

Other member say Amazon buy WBD - good luck and if Amazon is interested, so they are likely to take some parts that make most money, kinda like other companies want to split the Paramount to exclude linear cable asset, so WBD wouldn't be immune to that.
Oh okay. I got you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Moe

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
If Amazon takes the NBA and WBD to court, a settlement of that would be Amazon buying WBD, which is something I want anyway because I want the MGM libraries to be reunited.
No that won't happen either. Also, it's a bad reason to want a merger, the MGM libraires are reunited but 1000 people lose their jobs... no. (all mergers are bad) Also a smart judge, would just throw the case out because it's a bad case.

Moe

Oh okay. I got you.
I didn't mean to scare anyone but I had to make an honest opinion about Amazon's perspective toward WBD and of course, capitalism.

No that won't happen either. Also, it's a bad reason to want a merger, the MGM libraires are reunited but 1000 people lose their jobs... no. (all mergers are bad) Also a smart judge, would just throw the case out because it's a bad case.
Agreed with you, I don't think that merger is going to happen anytime soon and NBA's goal is get lawsuit thrown out, if not, issue the settlement with money only, and move on, also WBD move on if lawsuit gets thrown out or receive money.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
I didn't mean to scare anyone but I had to make an honest opinion about Amazon's perspective toward WBD and of course, capitalism.
Oh no, You're not scaring me at all. I get what you're saying. Apologies for taking it out of context.
Agreed with you, I don't think that merger is going to happen anytime soon and NBA's goal is get lawsuit thrown out, if not, issue the settlement with money only, and move on, also WBD move on if lawsuit gets thrown out or receive money.
If I learned from the WBD and Warnermedia mergers, I don't think WBD should merge with Amazon and MGM. Yeah, you got the MGM library together, but at what cost? Losing people's jobs, consolidating and shutting down studios all for the purpose of saving money and sitting on their library and do nothing with it? Was it really worth it? Probably not.

As much as I don't like WBD, at least they are trying their best to put their animation titles onto various platforms, including FAST services. I just don't like how they treated Cartoon Network is all I'm saying.

As for the NBA stuff, this is probably the last time I'm talking about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if NBA and WBD are settled this out of court and have WBD moved on to other sports stuff.

Remember @LinusFan303 's words, folks. :v: :v:
(all mergers are bad)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Not to go too far off topic. I find ESPN to just not be good at all, I could say this about almost any of the bigger sports and be the same thing almost. That's why I never want them to have the Olympics, unless Disney doesn't own the network anymore.
Well, NBC doesn't really handle well with their Olympic coverage, so honestly, I think ESPN doing the Olympics in the future could be a great opportunity IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Some of the Free streaming channels, I mentioned that were added to Plex are also Freevee, it's hard to tell for me because Freevee's Roku app is bad, because Amazon is bad at UI apparently.

Those being
Mythbusters by WBTV (best new additon)
Nip Tuck by WBTV
Hit Sitcoms by WBTV
Primetime Soaps by WBTV
No Reservations by WBTV
WBTV Horror Stories
WBTV Say Yes to the Dress
CNN Originals

CNN's other channel is now known as CNN Headlines (ironic)

Also Knot's Landing is on the Primetime Soaps channel, and it expected to come on demand streaming in the the future. WB owns that thanks to Lorimar. (Good year for primetime classic soaps appearing again)

Well, NBC doesn't really handle well with their Olympic coverage, so honestly, I think ESPN doing the Olympics in the future could be a great opportunity IMO.
I'll disagree, I think NBC does alright job with them, this year they have more positive reviews. Also, they have the most talented people. They really do put the TLC in their coverage. I'd only endorse ESPN /ABC Olympics if they are no longer owned by Disney, or have an outside company do the entire production and none of their people are doing it. (Like how their F1 coverage is good because it's not them it's a simulcast of Sky Sports)

Last edited:

Moe

I'd only endorse ESPN /ABC Olympics if they are no longer owned by Disney
Olympics has never aired on ESPN at all and as for ABC, last one in 1984 for summer games and 1988 for winter games.

To make a happen, Disney would be willing to outbid NBCUniversal, but Disney isn't interested at all.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Olympics has never aired on ESPN at all and as for ABC, last one in 1984 for summer games and 1988 for winter games.

To make a happen, Disney would be willing to outbid NBCUniversal, but Disney isn't interested at all.
I'm aware. In current context there's no ABC Sports (don't get me on that) so ESPN/ABC are sports combined, that's why I said it that way.

Moe

I'm aware. In current context there's no ABC Sports (don't get me on that) so ESPN/ABC are sports combined, that's why I said it that way.
It is unlikely to see ESPN/ABC host the Olympics ever, so it would be in NBCUniversal's hand for very long time. I doubt that Paramount/CBS and WBD would be interested, so real threat to NBCUniversal would be streamers like Amazon, Apple, Netflix, etc. If Amazon win the Olympic broadcast rights, so bye bye to linear TV.

I'm all favor for legislate the bill at federal level to treat streaming and linear TV separately for sport games and syndication, so streamers wouldn't like it and linear networks would love it. Hollywood studios may have mixed reaction. Cable and satellite TV companies would be happy as well. Other one is fix the licensing issues that associated with streaming classification by reclassify Frndly, YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, Philo and other vMVPD as cable/satellite/broadcast and allow syndication to be aired without any licensing issues, so no more programming substitution and MeTV schedule would be same for all. Also, even with reclassification, it wouldn't enable the local stations to force vMVPD to negotiate with them directly, so it is just fix the issues with syndication, that all.

Oops, we went off topic and this one is last for me, and if you need to quote my post, please take it to suitable thread. My apology to moderators.

harry580

if time warner had bought mgm in 2010-2016, that wouldn't been a problem but with mgm being owned by amazon, that would be a problem (unless amazon sold the game division of warner bros to focus on their own game division if they bought warner bros discovery)

Moe

if time warner had bought mgm in 2010-2016, that wouldn't been a problem but with mgm being owned by amazon, that would be a problem (unless amazon sold the game division of warner bros to focus on their own game division if they bought warner bros discovery)
Why didn't WB bought MGM not happening at first place? Just wonder.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts