What happened to "Santo"?

5YearsOnEastCoast

I was looking at old threads from 2007 and I found this post talking about new upcoming CN shows for 2007-2008 period. And there was 1 name of the show that stood out to me: "Santo". I am not sure what the show was about because the link from that old thread seems to be broken, but from what I can gather from comments from that thread, it seems to be Mexican inspired and main character is a wrestler. I don't recall this show ever airing on CN. Other shows that were announced in that upfront, premiered in 2007-2008 timeframe. Out of Jimmy's Head (back then known as "Re-Animated the Series"), Chowder, Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Secret Saturdays have all premiered in either 2007 or 2008. But Santo is the only one that didn't premiere.

So what happened to it?

Surreal Kangaroo

Staff member
I don’t know exactly what happened to it, but it never aired. It was about a masked Mexican wrestler, and I believe it was flash animated. It was more realistic and serious than Mucha Lucha and El Tigre.

harry580

well, I researched about what Santo series really is and I found this video:

but its in Latin American language with subtitles and its aired on the Latin America version of Cartoon Network in 2004, so maybe the Santo series that proposed for 2007-2008 you talking about was a English dub of the series

Last edited:

Stumpos

I found footage here from the pilot called Mask of Santo that was released in 2008:

So seems either it was scrapped due to the change from Samples to Snyder (given the only time it was announced was in February 2007, a few months before the big shakeup) or potentially the economic recession caused Cartoon Network to reduce the number of shows they were producing (maybe explaining the lack of new original cartoons in 2009) with this getting caught in the crossfire.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts