Which decade was better for animation, the 90's or the 2000's?

Master Toon

Nothing wrong with enjoying your favorite childhood cartoons, but to say that they are good because you grew up watching them is rediculous.

If only my signature could hold more quotes. Thank you fro saying that Antiyonder.

I think it would be best forevery one if this thread was closed....you know before it gets violent. (Or before my squiddly spooch explodes.) wichever comes 1st.:sweat: :p :evil: :sweat:

If everyone just stays civil the thread can survive just fine.

ABrown

I actually think you're being a little hard on your childhood shows. There's such a thing as hating your childhood too much in an attempt to detach yourself from that era.

Hold on just a second here. I just want to make sure that I didn't mis-represent myself. I love the cartoons from my childhood. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to periodically go back and watch episodes of the original G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Thundercats. But when I put in an episode of the original He-Man or TMNT, I find myself getting bored very quickly. As an adult I just do not feel like either one was a very good cartoon, especially compared to their 2000's counterpart. There was a time, during the mid to late 90's where I would've easily said that the 80's cartoons were better than the 90's. But I still had the sense of nostalgia that was making my opinion biased. Now I can objectively look at both decades fairly.

Zorak Masaki

Nothing wrong with enjoying your favorite childhood cartoons, but to say that they are good because you grew up watching them is rediculous.

Good point. G1 Transformers is one of my fav cartoons, and half of that IS nostalgia but i would never call eps like carnage in c-minor, face of the nijika, kremzeek, or triple takeover "good".

Plague Rat

Disease-ridden rodent
Although I'm in the same boat as you, and I definitely don't think the 80s was a decade of greatness, I actually think you're being a little hard on your childhood shows. There's such a thing as hating your childhood too much in an attempt to detach yourself from that era.

I think it's really a bit arrogant for many people here to assume everyone is biased towards their childhood though. It's also arrogant to assume everyone here is a 90s kid. As this thread has shown, many members here grew up in the 70s and 80s also. And with the consensus pointing towards the 90s as their favourite, you have to at least respect that opinion for what it is, even if some people are hell bent on proving that we're all suffering from rose coloured vision.
Great post indeed.

I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is just being nostalgic, I mean in general I like a lot of things that were way before I was even born that I probably wouldn't have liked as a kid, but I like them for the quality and... well, I honestly think things in the past are intriguing. Animation in the 70's and 80's intrigues me (And the time period in general), but I was born in 1992. So obviously my opinion can't really be all on nostalgia, although I will admit I have that perspective of "past > present" simply because of my observations of events that happened in the past to situations of the now. But I digress.

I love the 90's, but I will agree however that there are some things in the 90's that I thought were hilarious but will look back on now and think "Ew that's just stupid." And a lot of people do hold on dearly to the memory of Invader Zim, and that was out in 2000. And Billy and Mandy was a pretty creepy, crude cartoon from the 00's, that's content is pretty comparable to the subtle refs they allowed on in the 90's. More of, I don't understand the argument of "people got away with more in the 90's" because that's not really true, at least not to a great extent. A better comparison would be now and the 50's. There was a time when you could use real guns and weapons in kid's cartoons... now they HAVE to be laser guns or something of that sort.

satam55

This is so easy! 90's by a huge landslide for kids cartoon both on broadcast TV and cable TV!

2000's for prime-time cartoons (Family Guy, Futurama, South Park, American Dad, The Boondocks, The Simpsons, King of the hill and etc.)

Ishtar

The 90's, of course, had better animation. There was just so much variety, as far as shows went. There weren't nearley as many middle/high school sitcoms disguised as animated shows, creators took more risks, and networks didn't air mainly just their number one show nearly as much compared to today. Also, animated movies were much better. We got movies that told a nice story, had beautiful animation that wasn't just CGI, and they didn't rely as much on celebrity voices. From Dreamworks especially for the past decade, has made more films that were full of pop culture comedy and at times seemed to care more about the celebrities of the film more than the story itself. A huge problem with the celebrity voices were that they were directed many times to merely play an animated version of themselves more than creating their own special character. As far as Disney goes, I have yet to see an animated movie from them this decade outside Pixar that is on par with their silver age 90's animated films such as Aladdin and The Lion King.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Anime: 2k-2k9 (except that Detictive Conan is one of the best and released in the 90s)
WB: 90s
Disney: 90s
Other: Varies, but in art I tend to appeal more to the 90s, animation varies too

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberCubed

90's gave us more diverse programming.

We had a Mortal Kombat cartoon, for cripes sake! A show based on a (back then) very violent videogame.

In '00's we got a lot of anime wanna-be's, and a lot of cartoon tried to jump on the anime bandwagon. I bet these anime-inspired cartoons are going to look very dated a couple of years from now, people will view them as some odd attempt to cash-in on anime.

Makes me curious as to how the Teen Titans cartoon will be remembered, a comic book franchise drawn in anime style. Especially if they make a serious TT cartoon in the future, and they compare that to the original.

Marvin Tikvah

Mortal Kombat was terrible though. I don't see how anyone could point at it and say it was one of the gems from the 90's. It doesn't even have the cheese appeal that has given some new popularity to old shows like Street Fighter USA or Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's also not the only mature franchise to get an adaptation aimed at kids. Robocop and Rambo both had syndicated cartoons, and those were R-rated films.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
90's gave us more diverse programming.

We had a Mortal Kombat cartoon, for cripes sake! A show based on a (back then) very violent videogame.

In '00's we got a lot of anime wanna-be's, and a lot of cartoon tried to jump on the anime bandwagon. I bet these anime-inspired cartoons are going to look very dated a couple of years from now, people will view them as some odd attempt to cash-in on anime.

Makes me curious as to how the Teen Titans cartoon will be remembered, a comic book franchise drawn in anime style. Especially if they make a serious TT cartoon in the future, and they compare that to the original.
EVERY decade has shows that jump on some sort of bandwagon. This isn't exclusive to the 2000s. You sure you're not just exhibiting an anti-anime bias here?

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
Action cartoons definately shined in the 2000. I can only think of one really good action show from the 90s (Beast Wars), while the 2000s have a couple more.

P

Pipoi

For me, it's the 1990's because 2000's is almost over.
And I know that in 2000's, it's more on animes rather than cartoons.

-------------------------------

TOOLS ON SALE

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts