Will Marvel ever do another X-Men animated series?

Infinite-bit

Another X-Men animation is bound to happen at some point. But X-Men got two fairly lengthy shows plus there was the anime series and Wolverine and The X-Men. I'd like to see other characters get their own shows and get the spotlight now, hence why I want to see a Guardians of the Galaxy series.

I too would like to see Marvel try something different other then X-Men, Avengers and Spider-Man namely Inhumans since they seem to be getting a big push in comics while Marvel's merry(or should I say whiney) Mutants are fading into obscurity.

KCJ506

I haven't been too impressed by the more recent Marvel cartoons, so I don't know if I want another X-men cartoon with Jeph Loeb being the head of MA.

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
I too would like to see Marvel try something different other then X-Men, Avengers and Spider-Man namely Inhumans since they seem to be getting a big push in comics while Marvel's merry(or should I say whiney) Mutants are fading into obscurity.
As long as Fox keeps churning out X-Men movies - or rather Saint Wolver-Clops movies - the X-Men will never completely fade into obscurity, they'll just be slightly less of a priority. But as a wise man once said - we cannot miss who or what does not go away. Case in point: Batman. How can we miss Batman when he simply refuses to go away? Or DC & WB simply refuse to let him go away? The answer: we can't, because he either can't or won't go away long enough for us to actually miss him.

Infinite-bit

As long as Fox keeps churning out X-Men movies - or rather Saint Wolver-Clops movies - the X-Men will never completely fade into obscurity, they'll just be slightly less of a priority. But as a wise man once said - we cannot miss who or what does not go away. Case in point: Batman. How can we miss Batman when he simply refuses to go away? Or DC & WB simply refuse to let him go away? The answer: we can't, because he either can't or won't go away long enough for us to actually miss him.

Perhaps but it still doesn't change the fact the X-Franchise has seen better days.

Monte

Eh, what Marvel has been doing with the inhumans just annoys the heck out of me. It just feels like they are retreading the same old ground that the mutants have gone through; it really does feel like the only reason they are doing this stuff with the inhumans is because Marvel can't make X-men movies. Honestly, what makes it ring so hallow is how there really isn't much separating inhumans and mutants and yet the world distinguishes between the two. I mean how is a person with super powers supposed to tell if they are inhuman or mutant? Why should the general populous care about which is which?

And it also doesn't help that i feel like the ongoing prosecution that mutants have been going through has gotten kind of stale and rather ridiculous, and thus care even LESS to see them retread old ground. I mean when it comes to stories of persecution and civil rights you want to see a gradual change and advancment, but they never get anway... i felt like they were getting somewhere for once, and then decimation happened to reset the persecution... I mean heck, one thing that annoyed me is the lack of regluar humans on the side of the mutants. Everything seems to be so easily painted as humans vs mutants, when more believably their would be more progressive factions amongst humans that would side with the mutants plight. Guess I got a bit jaded and tired of the forumla, and don't care to see it again. It also doesn't help that i never really had much interest in the pre-existing inhumans in general, where as i love many of the x-men.

Infinite-bit

Eh, what Marvel has been doing with the inhumans just annoys the heck out of me. It just feels like they are retreading the same old ground that the mutants have gone through; it really does feel like the only reason they are doing this stuff with the inhumans is because Marvel can't make X-men movies. Honestly, what makes it ring so hallow is how there really isn't much separating inhumans and mutants and yet the world distinguishes between the two. I mean how is a person with super powers supposed to tell if they are inhuman or mutant? Why should the general populous care about which is which?

And it also doesn't help that i feel like the ongoing prosecution that mutants have been going through has gotten kind of stale and rather ridiculous, and thus care even LESS to see them retread old ground. I mean when it comes to stories of persecution and civil rights you want to see a gradual change and advancment, but they never get anway... i felt like they were getting somewhere for once, and then decimation happened to reset the persecution... I mean heck, one thing that annoyed me is the lack of regluar humans on the side of the mutants. Everything seems to be so easily painted as humans vs mutants, when more believably their would be more progressive factions amongst humans that would side with the mutants plight. Guess I got a bit jaded and tired of the forumla, and don't care to see it again. It also doesn't help that i never really had much interest in the pre-existing inhumans in general, where as i love many of the x-men.

Well I'll admit I'm digging the new Ms. Marvel book so that's a plus for me and you've pretty much summed up my disdain for the x-men franchise they've been turned into a bunch of self-centered crybabies who keep demanding respect but have done little to earn it other than mostly stopping rouge members of their own race or racist humans. I'm not sure if you read it but I highly recommend checking the indie book "Harbinger" it's like x-men minus the tired theme Marvel keeps using and everyone's powers are variations of psionics.

Rabbitearsblog

I agree with all this. Even though I still love the X-Men, it frustrates me that they keep on using the same story lines for the current stories when they could have done so many different things with the X-Men. I mean, I understand that the whole mutant persecution angle is basically apart of the X-Men, but I would like to see more stories where they are actually treated better or actually have more human allies, which is something I don't understand about why they rarely have any humans standing up for the mutants, other than Moira MacTaggert and Stevie.

Monte

I agree with all this. Even though I still love the X-Men, it frustrates me that they keep on using the same story lines for the current stories when they could have done so many different things with the X-Men. I mean, I understand that the whole mutant persecution angle is basically apart of the X-Men, but I would like to see more stories where they are actually treated better or actually have more human allies, which is something I don't understand about why they rarely have any humans standing up for the mutants, other than Moira MacTaggert and Stevie.

I'd recommend Volume 2 of New mutants, and Volume 2 of New X-men; The stories focus on a new group of mutants going through the xavier institute. One thing I loved about the stories was that it did feel like the mutant world was progressing. There was still plenty of discrimination and hate groups, but it seem less now... One of my favorite storylines is when authorites come to arrest one of the kids, because the story goes against the grains of how you might expect things to play out. And bringing the level of mutant discrimination to that level actually made it feel more believable. I could believe this is what some ethnic groups and races might actually still experience in modern countries; where as the higher levels that x-men often stick too seems more like an exaggeration to what might go on these days. A lot of the stories were about the kids just going through their lives as students of xaviers, and all the problems that come with growing up as mutants. It was pretty nice series... until House of M and Decimation hit... then the writers changed, plotlines were dropped and they started killing off kids left and right; Its like the series suddenly went from slice of life, to survival thriller

Honestly, the on going persecution just felt absurd... it just seemed so ridiculous that the mutants could suffer from like TWO acts of major genocide, first genosha(16 million killed) and then decimation(the remaining 16 million depowered and unknown numbers killed), and have their entire population reduced to a mere 200 mutants, and STILL be hated by virtually everyone in the world. I mean in schism the UN was making a big deal about the existance of Utopia, a population of like a 100 or so mutants, when not too long ago they had millions of 16 millions mutants around the world and living in every country... Magneto's country of genosha, THAT was a country worth the world's attention; worrying about the "threat" posed by Utopia just seemed laughable.

I have had my own ideas for an x-men series; even wrote up some story/episode synopisis as a bit of an exercise. To be more precise, its not so much an idea for a series, but ideas for an entire x-men universe that would be told over the course of several series. It would start with the first class, then move on to the new mutants/generation X, then return to the mainstay team, and then go to the new x-men generation... not sure where it might go from there, since after that would be decimation/utopia and i really hated those years... One thing I would want to focus on is how the world and Characters slowly change and progress; from mutants first coming out and being hated and feared, till the point when they become a more accepted part of humanity. The series might end before we see Xavier's dreams fulfilled, but at the very least the series would end on a positive note that makes you feel that they will win eventually. Very different from the comics which seemed determined to make their lives miserable so that they can remain in everlasting conflict.

RoryWilliams

The prevailing theory right now is the only reason they're doing that is because they want to position Inhumans as the movie-equivalent of mutants. Say what you will, but Marvel is clearly pissed they don't have access to mutants, and they want to have something similar to play with in their own toy box. Which is why they're now making the Inhumans as close as possible to mutants without calling them that. And it's one of those things that's a fruitless endeavor because the fans already see it for what it is and it's doubtful the mainstream public would view it any differently.

Which leads into the whole issue again with Fox and Sony. We're seeing more than ever that the movies have replaced the comic books as the primary delivery system for most of the audience, so Marvel now heavily looks to the films for their inspiration for the TV shows. Hence you have them putting the Falcon in Avengers Assemble or the Guardians of the Galaxy suddenly popping up in guest roles and even Ant-Man looking EXACTLY like his upcoming movie counterpart. They can't do that sort of thing with the X-Men and Fantastic Four so they aren't even gonna try.

Medinnus

Staff member
The prevailing theory right now is the only reason they're doing that is because they want to position Inhumans as the movie-equivalent of mutants. Say what you will, but Marvel is clearly pissed they don't have access to mutants, and they want to have something similar to play with in their own toy box. Which is why they're now making the Inhumans as close as possible to mutants without calling them that. And it's one of those things that's a fruitless endeavor because the fans already see it for what it is and it's doubtful the mainstream public would view it any differently.

You had me with you until your conclusion that "its a fruitless endeavor" - going on the assumption that Marvel is going to try to build the Inhumans into the new mutants (pun opportunity not taken!) - which I'm not convinced is the case, as I am pretty sure that the Inhumans fall into the Fantastic Four family of rights (IE when Marvel leases rights, they generally lease a huge portfolio of characters - not just the core heroes, but the supporting cast and villains as well), which still gains them nothing from a movie/media franchise basis (Fox still has the FF rights, IIRC), and obviously gains them nothing "on the ground" in MU 616 because they still own mutants there.

But, going with the logic that they are trying to build the muscle on the Inhumans for franchising into the MCU equivalent of mutants, even if fans knew it was the case (IE it was openly admitted to and so forth), it would work just fine - the only proviso being that it was done well, with top-notch writing and art. Fans don't care much about the reasons why - they care about the quality of the execution.

RoryWilliams

You had me with you until your conclusion that "its a fruitless endeavor" - going on the assumption that Marvel is going to try to build the Inhumans into the new mutants (pun opportunity not taken!) - which I'm not convinced is the case, as I am pretty sure that the Inhumans fall into the Fantastic Four family of rights (IE when Marvel leases rights, they generally lease a huge portfolio of characters - not just the core heroes, but the supporting cast and villains as well), which still gains them nothing from a movie/media franchise basis (Fox still has the FF rights, IIRC),

Nope. Inhumans have been confirmed to be owned by Marvel Studios for long while.

and obviously gains them nothing "on the ground" in MU 616 because they still own mutants there.

The comics at this point are little more than R&D divisions for the movies. As with the downplaying of the X-Men an FF on television, they're trying to establish the Inhumans as the badass new kids on the block in preparation for a MCU debut.

Rabbitearsblog

I have had my own ideas for an x-men series; even wrote up some story/episode synopisis as a bit of an exercise. To be more precise, its not so much an idea for a series, but ideas for an entire x-men universe that would be told over the course of several series. It would start with the first class, then move on to the new mutants/generation X, then return to the mainstay team, and then go to the new x-men generation... not sure where it might go from there, since after that would be decimation/utopia and i really hated those years... One thing I would want to focus on is how the world and Characters slowly change and progress; from mutants first coming out and being hated and feared, till the point when they become a more accepted part of humanity. The series might end before we see Xavier's dreams fulfilled, but at the very least the series would end on a positive note that makes you feel that they will win eventually. Very different from the comics which seemed determined to make their lives miserable so that they can remain in everlasting conflict.

I really liked that story idea! It would be nice to have some X-Men story lines where the mutants finally get the peace that they deserved and actually have story lines where they try to coexist with humanity without having to go back to being persecuted over and over again.

TheMadSlasher

I really liked that story idea! It would be nice to have some X-Men story lines where the mutants finally get the peace that they deserved and actually have story lines where they try to coexist with humanity without having to go back to being persecuted over and over again.

Another good idea would be to portray a populace with a whole different variety of positions.

Some No More Mutants bigots would of course exist. But so would Mutants Are People Too advocates. And there would also be those who take middle-ground positions as well... for example, someone advocating some form of mutant registration or mandatory power-blockers used until you get a "license" in a manner analagous to people who support some level of firearms regulation.

A complex, nuanced debate could easily occur around the subject.

The problem with that is is that "mutants" are, face it, metaphors for every kind of social outcast or persecution victim, whether on the basis of race or sexual orientation or any other factor. There's a reason that X-Men is the francise for those that don't fit in. As such, treating mutancy in a literal fashion and playing it absolutely straight with realistic debates may damage the metaphor at the heart of the franchise.

Speaking as an outcast bullying victim myself, I don't necessarily WANT to read a franchise which says "there may be some reason to regulate different/atypical/alternative/non-mainstream people" - even if this would be a completely realistic position to take in a real-world debate about the subject of mutancy. People who are outcasts/losers/nerds/socially challenged/have no friends/etc. want something which basically panders to their ego and fantasies and makes THEM feel good. We want something that vindicates us.

However, you can easily do this by portraying the "general public" as mixed/ambiguous/divided on the issue of mutancy (thus satisfying the demand for realism), whilst still having tons of bigots to function as "pure evil" and also some non-mutant-hating people.

So I guess its a balance that needs to be struck. Plausible levels of persecution rather than "everyone is a bigot."

gmster

As long as Fox owns the film rights to X-Men, don't hold your breath for a Marvel-produced X-Men cartoon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts