"Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's" Toonzai Talkback: Road to Destiny Arc (Episodes 65+)

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
Toonzai.jpg
yugioh5ds.jpg

Summary:
Set years after Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, Domino City has changed. Under the leadership of Rex Godwin, head of the public maintenance bureau, Domino City was divided. New Domino City is home to the rich and powerful while the poor are left to live in the slum area known as the Satellite. However, Yusei, Jack, and Crow, three of the five Signers marked by destiny, have changed things by finishing a bridge joining the two society's together after the defeat of the Dark Signers. Now, Yusei and friends prepare for the upcoming WRGP tournament, but a new threat awaits in the shadows.

Notes: No spoilers for unaired episodes. If you wish to discuss the Japanese airing of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's do so here. Also, remember you can catch up with episodes 1-100 dubbed and episodes 1-57 subbed on 4kids' new streaming anime site, Toonzaki.

The new season premiers Saturday on The CW's Toonzai at 11:00 A.M. (Check your local listings)

Upcoming Episodes:
Sat, Sept. 18 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 65 - A New Threat, Part 1
Sat, Sept. 25 - 10:30 (Check your local listings) - 66 - A New Threat, Part 2
Sat, Sept. 25 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 67 - Lessons Learned
Sat, Oct. 2 - 10:30 (Check your local listings) - 68 - Trash Talk
Sat, Oct. 2 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 69 - A Duel With Interest
Sat, Oct. 9 - 10:30 (Check your local listings) - 70 - The Wicked Spirit
Sat, Oct. 9 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 71 - French Twist, Part 1
Sat, Oct. 16 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 72 - French Twist, Part 2
Sat, Oct. 16 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 73 - Synchro Straights
Sat, Oct. 23 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 74 - Synchro Solution
Sat, Oct. 23 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 75 - Driving Test
Sat, Oct. 30 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 76 - Syd is Vicious
Sat, Oct. 30 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 77 - Dawn of the Duel Board, Part 1
Sat, Nov. 6 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 78 - Dawn of the Duel Board, Part 2
Sat, Nov. 6 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 79 - Putting it All Together
Sat, Nov. 13 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 80 - The Super Genius
Sat, Nov. 13 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 81 - Get With the Program, Part 1
Sat, Nov. 20 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 82 - Get With the Program, Part 2
Sat, Nov. 20 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 83 - Will the Real Jack Atlas, Please Stand Up?, Part 1
Sat, Nov. 27 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 84 - Will the Real Jack Atlas, Please Stand Up?, Part 2
Sat, Feb. 4 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 85 - Mother Knows Best
Sat, Nov. 27 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 86 - Duelist for Hire
Sat, Dec. 4 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 87 - Showdown at Sundown, Part 1
Sat, Dec. 4 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 88 - Showdown at Sundown, Part 2
Sat, Dec. 11 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 89 - The Race to Escape, Part 1
Sat, Dec. 11 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 90 - The Race to Escape, Part 2
Sat, Dec. 18 - 11:00 (Check your local listings) - 91 - Clash at Crash Town, Part 1
Sat, Dec. 18 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 92 - Clash at Crash Town, Part 2
Sat, Feb. 19 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 93 - The Question of the Card
Sat, Feb. 26 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 94 - Keeping a Promise, Part 1
Sat, Mar. 5 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 95 - Keeping a Promise, Part 2
Sat, Mar. 12 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 96 - Natural Instincts, Part 1
Sat, Mar. 19 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 97 - Natural Instincts, Part 2
Sat, Mar. 26 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 98 - Power Plays
Sat, Apr. 2 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 99 - Trouble for Team 5D's
Sat, Apr. 9 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 100 - The Edge of Elimination, Part 1
Sat, Apr. 16 - 11:30 (Check your local listings) - 101 - The Edge of Elimination, Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
I know this is up a bit earlier, but I wasn't sure if anyone else was going to make one, and I wasn't sure if I would have the chance tomorrow.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Yeah, thanks for making this. I've been having trouble keeping up with the 4Kids talkbacks lately.

So anyway, hopefully the new season of dubbing will continue where the last one left off. Although I haven't seen them, people were saying the last few episodes of season one of 5D's were some of the best dubbed episodes in the franchise.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
The later episodes dubbed were pretty good. The duel between Roman and Yusei was so good, I almost forgot I was watching a 4kids dub. I would love it if they produced an uncut dub of that quality and then edited it down for Toonzai while releasing the uncut version on Toonzaki and DVD (When they start doing those again).

By the way, I messed up the thread title. It should be 65+ instead of 64. Does a mod have to fix it, or is there any way I can edit it?

cjeromek

Does anyone know how soon 4kids adds new episodes to their streaming venues. I don't know if I''ll be able to wake up in time to catch the new episode.

Divinenega

The later episodes dubbed were pretty good. The duel between Roman and Yusei was so good, I almost forgot I was watching a 4kids dub. I would love it if they produced an uncut dub of that quality and then edited it down for Toonzai while releasing the uncut version on Toonzaki and DVD (When they start doing those again).

By the way, I messed up the thread title. It should be 65+ instead of 64. Does a mod have to fix it, or is there any way I can edit it?

Yeah those episodes were dubbed pretty well. Especially since this particular Yu-Gi-Oh series's death loophole actually made sense within the storyline. They're doing a much better job at sticking to the storyline.

When they get to the desert arc though, it's going to be mangled period. WAAAAYYYYY too many guns...

Agreed. Although, Yusei's speech to him was changed a bit (think he sounded angry instead of sad given his face), 57 and 62-64 were probably the best episodes in the later part of the Dark Signer arc. (I'll probably spot some more changes as I work on their comparisons, but that's how it looks so far.)

So, yeah, I'm hoping 65+ are going to be closer to the source, which they might be, given the preview clip before. And I'll be working on a comparison in the days after 65 airs, so I'll post a link to that if anyone wants to see it when it's done.

Golfkid

I won't be able to see any of the next two week's episodes, will have to see them online, and this will probably be a recurring theme for me. :(

I'm not to sold on the fact that 4Kids' dubbing is going to change all that much. I mean, they might have dubbed some of the early episodes before Mark Kirk gave that interview.

Plus I'm pretty sure that the FCC and CW aren't going to be turning over a new leaf, with their standards.

I don't really care as much about edits, I'm mostly concerned on who's voicing the new characters and rivals. I would think that Darren Dunstan found good voice actors plus new ones to replace Leo and Luna's voice actress.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
Does anyone know how soon 4kids adds new episodes to their streaming venues. I don't know if I''ll be able to wake up in time to catch the new episode.

I would guess it would be up next week. I'll link to it when it's posted. Although, not until Sunday night if it's up before then.

I don't really care as much about edits, I'm mostly concerned on who's voicing the new characters and rivals. I would think that Darren Dunstan found good voice actors plus new ones to replace Leo and Luna's voice actress.
Yeah, I'll probably watch tomorrow mostly to see who's voicing the Tenor Trio, as they've been called in the fandom, as well as the twins' new VAs (who, hopefully, won't sound as much as each other this go-around).

I also think that you're right about these being dubbed before the interview, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes too high, lol. Still, the preview clip showed them actually explaining monster effects, so hopefully that counts for something now.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Cool, season 3 is starting sooner than I thought. I can't wait. Still, I doubt it'll top the Dark Signer Arc.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
From what I understand, there was a director change in episode 62, and for now, it's permanent. From overseas accounts, Aki/Akiza's voice will gradually shift from the original voice to a new one (Bella Hudson is still the VA, she's just changing the voice), Leo and Luna have been recast (which has already been confirmed in the thread), the script will hew more closely to the original, but will remain somewhat loose, like a FUNimation dub when they feel like doing rewrites.

Rumors about the English dub say that the original BGM is going to be phased in gradually for TV broadcast, and that the script is uncut and what will be airing on TV is an edited version recorded concurrently with the uncut. The theme song, however, should remain "Hyper Drive", at least initially. But these rumors are from somewhat dubious overseas sources such as a German dub that got their scripts/BGM/video from 4kids that suddenly switched to an uncut dub, as well as coincedences.

Golfkid

From what I understand, there was a director change in episode 62, and for now, it's permanent. From overseas accounts, Aki/Akiza's voice will gradually shift from the original voice to a new one, Leo and Luna have been recast (which has already been confirmed in the thread), the script will hew more closely to the original, and what changes remain will generally be of the Wooleyism variety.

Rumors about the English dub say that the original BGM is going to be phased in gradually for TV broadcast, and that the script is uncut and what will be airing on TV is an edited version recorded concurrently with the uncut. The theme song, however, should remain "Hyper Drive", at least initially. But these rumors are from somewhat dubious overseas sources such as a German dub that got their scripts/BGM/video from 4kids that suddenly switched to an uncut dub, as well as coincedences.

The director did not change in episode 62. I double checked the credits. It was episode 61 when you see Darren's name. There isn't a voice director listed for episode 60, but I'm confident that Darren had some say in it.

What do you mean Akiza's voice is going from "original" to "new?" I know that in episodes 60 and 61, Bella Hudson's voice had a lot less yelling and sounded more calm. I know many people thought this was a big improvement (thank you Darren!). So, hopefully, since Darren staying, Bella's voice will stay just as good.

I wouldn't trust the German Dub. The US, CW, and FCC have very strict edit changes that 4Kids has to make. I'm not sure about Gemany's, but I hear the US has the strictest rules. Plus, apparently, there's a part of 5D's with guns. The only way that's gonna fly is it they turn them into lazers. Which I know people are going to get mad with that edit. :rolleyes:

People were complaining that US one still didn't have the original music in the preview. Apparently, the German one does.

The US version, I'm pretty sure, will be nothing like the German dub. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

From what I understand, there was a director change in episode 62, and for now, it's permanent. From overseas accounts, Aki/Akiza's voice will gradually shift from the original voice to a new one (Bella Hudson is still the VA, she's just changing the voice), Leo and Luna have been recast (which has already been confirmed in the thread), the script will hew more closely to the original, but will remain somewhat loose, like a FUNimation dub when they feel like doing rewrites.

Hmm...curious, what overseas accounts are these? Aside from Germany's "uncut" dub (which still got some stuff cut/edited-for-names), I thought 65+ haven't aired elsewhere. =S

Still, if Aki(za)'s supposed to sound better, I'm all for that, as well as a style of dubbing like FUNi's done with Kai for its TV broadcast. It might also make it easier for them to put the uncut-dubbed stuff on Toonzaki, too, since they'd probably have to redub 1-64 in the same way. And if the BGM gradually makes it in, it'd be like how Pokemon kept some of its BGM, which would be a major step-up for YGO.

Divinenega

The director did not change in episode 62. I double checked the credits. It was episode 61 when you see Darren's name. There isn't a voice director listed for episode 60, but I'm confident that Darren had some say in it.

What do you mean Akiza's voice is going from "original" to "new?" I know that in episodes 60 and 61, Bella Hudson's voice had a lot less yelling and sounded more calm. I know many people thought this was a big improvement (thank you Darren!). So, hopefully, since Darren staying, Bella's voice will stay just as good.

I wouldn't trust the German Dub. The US, CW, and FCC have very strict edit changes that 4Kids has to make. I'm not sure about Gemany's, but I hear the US has the strictest rules. Plus, apparently, there's a part of 5D's with guns. The only way that's gonna fly is it they turn them into lazers. Which I know people are going to get mad with that edit. :rolleyes:

People were complaining that US one still didn't have the original music in the preview. Apparently, the German one does.

The US version, I'm pretty sure, will be nothing like the German dub. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The part about the BGM is probably true. 4 Kids did say they were putting more of it in with their newer dubs.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven

Do you have a source? Because that sounds way too good to be true. I kind of half believe it though. I mean, with Toonzaki, the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie presser, and just the general sucking less in recent 5D's dub episodes this sounds plausible.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Darren Dunstan in charge of acting can only be a good thing. He directed the later Pokemon seasons, TMNT 2K3, and Dinosaur King, and all featured some of the best acting from 4Kids.

Golfkid

Darren Dunstan in charge of acting can only be a good thing. He directed the later Pokemon seasons, TMNT 2K3, and Dinosaur King, and all featured some of the best acting from 4Kids.

I agree with that and it goes to show that great voice actors can't be great unless they have a good voice director.

Divinenega

I agree with that and it goes to show that great voice actors can't be great unless they have a good voice director.

Just finished watching...not bad. Nothing was edited from the episode(though the useless card explination pause is still there). The directors' voices were quite different then what I was expecting. Jose's VA is fine, and Luciano's VA sounds promising though he sounds a bit older than I'd like. As for Placido...he sounds alright so far, but the fact that Jason Grifth is his VA has me worried...

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts