“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I think the theory that Samurai Jack was just a stunt for AAPI month is probably true. Or possibly it was a trial to see if action cartoons would work on Friday night, in anticipation of the Toonami Rewind block. Anyway, the show is gone already so it’s a bit of a moot point. I look at it as a brief experiment like when they aired that weird gag anime Pop Team Epic on Toonami. More action shows are unlikely to appear on Checkered Past now that a dedicated retro action block exists in Rewind.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If action cartoons are permitted to air on Checkered Past, than comedy cartoons should be allowed on Toonami. If we're just going to ignore the rules, why have them at all?

They already have a comedy anime airing in Zom 100, granted fighting zombies is an action element. Comedy anime is something that does exist and the stereotype that anime is all serious all the time and has no comedy is very untrue.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
They already have a comedy anime airing in Zom 100, granted fighting zombies is an action element. Comedy anime is something that does exist and the stereotype that anime is all serious all the time and has no comedy is very untrue.
Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said or even implied that. I'm not an anime expert, but I know that every genre of entertainment has hybrid cases. I'm well aware that conmedy anime exists. I've seen examples of some. To suggest that I'm ignorant of this fact is something that quite frankly, I find insulting.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said or even implied that. I'm not an anime expert, but I know that every genre of entertainment has hybrid cases. I'm well aware that conmedy anime exists. I've seen examples of some. To suggest that I'm ignorant of this fact is something that quite frankly, I find insulting.

Never said you said that. That's a stereotype most Western parodies of anime do where they make fun of how self-serious anime allegedly is.

Now that Checkered Past is boiled down to just simply 2 shows (Billy and Mandy and Ed Edd n Eddy), and they lost their Friday time slot to Toonami Rewind, what else Adult Swim can do at this point?

This is fizzling out much faster than the TeenNick nostalgia block. Shocked it's only taken a few months for them to become the way they are.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
Hasn't been shared here yet but Demarco did say that Toonami Rewind does have a chance expanding to Mondays to Thursdays if the demand is high. There's now a chance that they might finally pull the plug on Checkered Past

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 47

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
This is fizzling out much faster than the TeenNick nostalgia block. Shocked it's only taken a few months for them to become the way they are.
Yeah, and the sad part about that is Nick did a much better job of handling their nostalgia block than AS/CN was.

CN had such a golden opportunity, yet they find a new way to disappoint us.
Hasn't been shared here yet but Demarco did say that Toonami Rewind does have a chance expanding to Mondays to Thursdays if the demand is high. There's now a chance that they might finally pull the plug on Checkered Past
Yup, the writing is on the wall.

I’m calling it right now: if Toonami Rewind become successful, kiss CN Classics on TV goodbye. Which kind of pisses me off because CN should embrace and expand their library than that.

Now, this is not a knock on Toonami Rewind because I do love what they are doing, but I’m blaming on CN/AS for playing things too safe and didn’t expand upon their horizons with their classic library.

Adult Swim needs to either adapt or die.
It looks like Adult Swim is losing the interest in Checkered Past.
From the looks of it, they sure seems like it.
Sadly, yes, it is and Disney tried with nostalgic block called Throwback but failed miserably in few months.
Don’t forget Disney Replay back in 2014.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I would think that with much of the Checkered Past stuff not on streaming, it would be a bigger draw than it ended up being as it seems like it was hyped, then people quickly lost interest. Don't know why only Nick's nostalgia block had any longevity. Toonami Rewind at least shows they are attempting another nostalgia block in hopes anime fans are less likely to get bored of reruns than Cartoon Cartoon fans. The thing is that Hulu exists and has all the Toonami Rewind stuff.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I would think that with much of the Checkered Past stuff not on streaming, it would be a bigger draw than it ended up being as it seems like it was hyped, then people quickly lost interest.
Well, I mean, Max was the only contender for having all of Cartoon Network’s library in one platform, but we all know how that turned out.

Freaking Disney Plus did a better job protecting Disney Channel’s library than WB was for Cartoon Network.
Don't know why only Nick's nostalgia block had any longevity.
I guess maybe because they are recognizable for people who grew up with 90’s Nick, and Paramount knows that because nostalgia is profitable for them. With nostalgia and SpongeBob, they are money makers for Paramount.
Toonami Rewind at least shows they are attempting another nostalgia block in hopes anime fans are less likely to get bored of reruns than Cartoon Cartoon fans.
Not to mention, having the likes of Sailor Moon coming back on TV is a huge deal.
The thing is that Hulu exists and has all the Toonami Rewind stuff.
And then there’s Crunchyroll.

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
Edit: I also just remembered Space ghost was conspicuously absent in the 2010s Cartoon Planet. I think he was only in one skit where his face was randomly shown miniature inside of a coffee mug? The show was all Brak and Zorak shorts. I’m unsure if this is because George Lowe was not doing voiceover work at this time, or if there was an issue with using the Space Ghost character on CN.
From an article commemorating the 25th anniversary of SGC2C in 2019, Andy Merrill had this to say when remembering C. Martin Croker (emphasis mine):
It was great working with him. I brought back Cartoon Planet for the 20th Anniversary of Cartoon Network. I couldn’t use [George Lowe, Space Ghost‘s voice actor] because I didn’t have the budget. So I made Brak and Zorak be roommates together in their own, stupid little apartment.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
They have not aired any ads for Checkered Past during the block this week. This is the first week that has been the case. Last week they were still airing the Abraham Lincoln ad with clips from Jack and Dexter. Now the Checkered Past ads have been replaced by a ton of Toonami Rewind commercials.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
They have not aired any ads for Checkered Past during the block this week. This is the first week that has been the case. Last week they were still airing the Abraham Lincoln ad with clips from Jack and Dexter. Now the Checkered Past ads have been replaced by a ton of Toonami Rewind commercials.
Interesting. It could possibly mean that:

a) possibly making more promos without Dexter and Samurai Jack

or

b) probably phasing out Checkered Past quietly and have Toonami Rewind took its place.

I don't know. It's anyone's guess, really.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Interesting. It could possibly mean that:

a) possibly making more promos without Dexter and Samurai Jack

or

b) probably phasing out Checkered Past quietly and have Toonami Rewind took its place.

I am curious about this too. Maybe they don’t want to do a promo with just two shows. The loss of Fridays has left the block feeling like a shell of its former self.

We have not seen any new bumpers since the first week of doubled up episodes, either. I think this block may have had most of its budget redirected to Toonami and especially Rewind. In late February, Toonami re-acquired DBZ Kai, in preparation for Rewind seemingly, and the last batch of new Checkered Past bumpers premiered in late February and early March.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I am curious about this too. Maybe they don’t want to do a promo with just two shows. The loss of Fridays has left the block feeling like a shell of its former self.
(sigh) Why can't we just living in a time where CN Classic library just have a good home?
We have not seen any new bumpers since the first week of doubled up episodes, either. I think this block may have had most of its budget redirected to Toonami and especially Rewind. In late February, Toonami re-acquired DBZ Kai, in preparation for Rewind seemingly, and the last batch of new Checkered Past bumpers premiered in late February and early March.
Could be possible.

Conttactt

I’m like 90% sure I saw the Abraham Lincoln one late last night.

Think it’s still a little too early for that. I’d think they want at least a month of Rewind in the books before making any expanding calls on it. Unless it’s doing incredibly good or incredibly bad.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I’m like 90% sure I saw the Abraham Lincoln one late last night.

Think it’s still a little too early for that. I’d think they want at least a month of Rewind in the books before making any expanding calls on it. Unless it’s doing incredibly good or incredibly bad.
Fair enough. We'll just have to see.

Santana434

883B38EA-CBC8-46A9-8957-82EA0216FAAC.png

I found the ratings for billy and Mandy that air on CKP last week, it seems to still be doing well meaning people are still watching the block. I’m afraid CKP isn’t going to go anywhere if it’s doing well, but they definitely still need to improve their schedule, or else the block is toasted for sure.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts