“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Starting next Thursday, both Eds and B&M take Dexter's and Samurai Jack's former timeslots. Meaning CKP will now be down to only 2 shows
(Sighs) Why am I not surprised?
Yep. Checkered Past is dying.
You know what the sad part about this is? Checkered Past could’ve been a good block that preserved CN Classics because Cartoon Network proper not going to do it. Boomerang is not going to do it. Hell, not even MeTV Toons is going to do it either. And don’t say Max because Max removed half of Cartoon Network’s library for the past couple of years, and almost all of them are not available to stream in the US.

We can agree that Adult Swim airing CN Classics was a bit of out of place, but at least with Adult Swim was one of the few entities of Cartoon Network that actually cares about the classics. Whatever y’all think it’s a good thing or a bad thing is irrelevant. At least with Adult Swim does care about CN legacy and it’s audience and they want to preserve as much as possible.

Until they decided to pull a 90s Are All That. It’s like, what is the point?
Man, Looks like CKP is pretty much done for. And I have a feeling that Toonami rewind might end taking over CKP’s lineup tbh.
I wonder if they are trying to make Checkered Past tank so they feel more justified in having Toonami take it over.
Well, with the way things are going, I wouldn’t be surprised if Toonami Rewind replaced Checkered Past completely.

But then again, what place where CN back catalog is going to go?

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
But then again, what place where CN back catalog is going to go?
Hmm... that's a good question. I doubt they'll be allowed back on Boomerang, and MeTV Toons seems to show interest in acquiring them. Max isn't exactly a good place to have them either.

Honestly, [adult swim] has dropped the ball on Checkered Past. Given its' current state, I can't imagine it continuing on much longer. It will probably die out unceremoniously just like NickRewind did in 2022.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I doubt they'll be allowed back on Boomerang, and MeTV Toons seems to show interest in acquiring them.
Well, I think MeTV Toons is fine without the CN Classics because I really love their launch schedule. So, I don’t think it’s not going to happen.
Max isn't exactly a good place to have them either.
Especially they wanted to remove them due to WBD not wanting to pay residuals and renewing the licenses. Which loses the appeal of Max in the first place.
Honestly, [adult swim] has dropped the ball on Checkered Past. Given its' current state, I can't imagine it continuing on much longer. It will probably die out unceremoniously just like NickRewind did in 2022.
Yeah, which is a shame because they did such a good job on the bumpers. It’s unfortunate they wasted so much potential.

Honestly, Checkered Past should just be a Cartoon Network block instead of Adult Swim, IMO.

Conttactt

I wonder if they are trying to make Checkered Past tank so they feel more justified in having Toonami take it over.
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit. Or a lot really. Rewind has ONE(1) airing under its belt, 3 hours ago. Nobody even knows if this block is a champ or a chump yet.

And even if it is successful, daily Rewind is not sustainable. That would turn these 4 year shows into 7 month shows. Then Rewind would run into the exact same issue that Checkered Past and regular Toonami has. Nothing to air, which means looping reruns and dwindling viewership. Dont let a couple extra hours of Toonami make you forget the problems the block has, mainly with Crunchyroll. A lot of classics people are asking for are off the table.

aegisrawks

I think you guys are overreacting a little bit. Or a lot really. Rewind has ONE(1) airing under its belt, 3 hours ago. Nobody even knows if this block is a champ or a chump yet.

And even if it is successful, daily Rewind is not sustainable. That would turn these 4 year shows into 7 month shows. Then Rewind would run into the exact same issue that Checkered Past and regular Toonami has. Nothing to air, which means looping reruns and dwindling viewership. Dont let a couple extra hours of Toonami make you forget the problems the block has, mainly with Crunchyroll. A lot of classics people are asking for are off the table.
You are so correct, you are right I shouldnt get ahead of myself, ratings will decide what stays and what doesnt.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit.
How are we overreacting when CP could’ve at least mixed things up to keep the block fresh?
Dont let a couple extra hours of Toonami make you forget the problems the block has, mainly with Crunchyroll. A lot of classics people are asking for are off the table.
I’m not. And I don’t blame Toonami Rewind for working around for what they had. If Crunchyroll were to give WBD a deal, Rewind could’ve expanded more.

harry580

This was rock bottom. No counterargument possible.

I guess we should count ourselves lucky Zaslav isn't trying to push in some cheap live-action reality shows for kids.
but zaslav is instead going to use discovery family for all of that (which hey, least that can save Cartoon Network from going back to the live action reality shows for kids era again)

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
There are shows that could be added to Checkered Past that could help reduce the motonony, if AS was willing to think outside the box. 2 Stupid Dogs, SWAT Kats, Pirates of Dark Water and Cartoon Planet come readily to mind.

They're not Cartoon Cartoons, but they're heavily associated with CN and would fit in.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
2 Stupid Dogs,
Well, 2 Stupid Dogs are going to be on MeTV Toons, so that’s off the table.
What CN Classics means? CN original series like Dexter's Laboratory, PPG, Cow and Chicken?

If yes, I do think that shows will return to proper CN after Checkered Past discontinues in near future, so as for rating wise, those shows are better to run on CN, not AS.
Yes. It is.
I thought Sony and WBD don't get along, so it means no more anime from Crunchyroll but I'm surprised that their anime shows continue to air on Toonami. It looks like Sony changed their mind and they could lose much money if they want to be coward like Disney.
I know this kind off topic, but Toonami is still airing anime, but most of the anime were distributed by different companies. Crunchyroll is the biggest supplier to the anime market since they had the big IPs that used to air on Toonami back then, but for some reason Crunchyroll decided to be stingy with them.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Conttactt

How are we overreacting when CP could’ve at least mixed things up to keep the block fresh?
Wrong issue. I agree, Checkered Past needs a mix up to freshen up. What I think is an overreaction is the implication that AS is intentionally sabotaging the block to replace it with a completely untested, and vastly more expensive anime block.
What CN Classics means? CN original series like Dexter's Laboratory, PPG, Cow and Chicken?

If yes, I do think that shows will return to proper CN after Checkered Past discontinues in near future, so as for rating wise, those shows are better to run on CN, not AS.
If Checkered Past dies, those shows will never be seen on cable again. A big reason people were excited for this block was it was airing shows CN refused to put on their schedule.
I thought Sony and WBD don't get along, so it means no more anime from Crunchyroll but I'm surprised that their anime shows continue to air on Toonami. It looks like Sony changed their mind and they could lose much money if they want to be coward like Disney.
Not all anime is held by Crunchyroll. Rewind is 2 Viz shows and a Toei workaround. No Crunchyroll shows made it, and we have heard from Demarco things haven’t improved in their relationship.
Well, Sailor Moon and Toonami Rewind Trended on Twitter, has Checkered Past done that thus far?
No, but that is a bit of a false positive because ever since Demarco told people that Twitter engagement matters, a few people set up bot accounts to spam hashtags when a Toonami show is on.

I will give it some credit, even with bot influence, being able to trend today after yesterdays major news events is a little impressive. May just be day 1 hype that pushed them over the edge though.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Wrong issue. I agree, Checkered Past needs a mix up to freshen up. What I think is an overreaction is the implication that AS is intentionally sabotaging the block to replace it with a completely untested, and vastly more expensive anime block.
Sure, I can understand, but like I said, if they were to mixed things up, then people wouldn’t scorn Checkered Past all that much.
If Checkered Past dies, those shows will never be seen on cable again.
Not to mention, Max removed most of those shows from their service.
A big reason people were excited for this block was it was airing shows CN refused to put on their schedule.
Yeah, even though I’m very grateful that AS was able to preserve CN library, but they weren’t able grab all of them and being so selective on which shows fit for AS standards or not.
Not all anime is held by Crunchyroll. Rewind is 2 Viz shows and a Toei workaround. No Crunchyroll shows made it, and we have heard from Demarco things haven’t improved in their relationship.
Yeah, that’s so unfortunate.

Conttactt

I do believe that Checkered Past was new experiment as attempt to fix the rating issues and when WBD isn't impressed with rating, so they try with new one like Toonami Rewind. The future of Checkered Past is questionable, so WBD could decide to let Checkered Past run normally, despite unimpressed rating. I agreed with Taco Guy about Checkered Past deemed to be dying but it is not full flown death and it could come back with new life, so who knows.
When it launched, it was a huge ratings hit, at least in comparison to what CN had been airing in that time. But it stayed stagnant too long and I think they might be inching closer to a point where course correction is not possible.
Sure, I can understand, but like I said, if they were to mixed things up, then people wouldn’t scorn Checkered Past all that much.
I agree, they had something people were actually very excited for, and then kinda just left it on autopilot till its ratings started getting dire. Now we are seeing AS final stage actions on a troublesome timeslot where they make hasty changes every week in a desperate effort to fix things.

I’d say at the 2 month mark was when there should have been a serious talk about wheeling more shows in. It was doing good, doing what they wanted, and they didn’t capitalize. But, hindsight and all that. They gotta work with what they got now.
Not to mention, Max removed most of those shows from their service.
Yea that's gonna be super frustrating if this block ends up dying. They might come back, or they may never be seen again. You never know with Max.
well, that means people will resort to physical media
Not for most of these shows. Most are long out of print, and some don’t exist at all. Like the C&C remaster they seemed to do specifically for Checkered Past.

Last edited by a moderator:

parkersfan89

Hmm... that's a good question. I doubt they'll be allowed back on Boomerang, and MeTV Toons seems to show interest in acquiring them. Max isn't exactly a good place to have them either.

were any of nick's shows that aired on nickrewind rerated to pg like CP?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts