“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
worm paranoia reminds me of Ren & Stimpy!
Another short, Buy One, Get One Free is even more inspired by Ren and Stimpy (primarily because most of the staff on that short were ex-Spümcø employees).

Anyway, really happy to see them finally air the What a Cartoon’s. The shorts (and the shows that spun off from them) are really some of my favorite toons to come out of Hanna Barbera.

parkersfan89

CP's schedule for late July-early August (What A Cartoon is on Mondays instead of Courage):

July 29, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Sassy Come Home / Photo Finish" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Unconventional / Dexter is Dirty / Ice Cream Scream" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Pizza Boy: No Tip"
  • 6:10 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Jof: Help?"
  • 6:20 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Buy One, Get One Free"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Yuckie Duck: Short Orders"
  • 6:38 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Larry and Steve"
  • 6:49 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Johnny Bravo"

July 30, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Decode of Honor / The World's Greatest Mom / Ultrajerk 2000" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dee Dee Be Deep / 911 / Down in The Dumps" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "The House of Discontent / The Sand Whale Strikes" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "The Tower of Dr. Zalost" (repeat)

July 31, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Unfortunate Cookie / The Muffin King" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Picture Day / Now That's a Stretch / Dexter Detention" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Muriel Meets Her Match / Courage vs. Mecha-Courage" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Campsite of Terror / Record Deal" (repeat)

August 1, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Don't Be a Baby / Dial M for Monkey: Peltra / G.I.R.L. Squad" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Sports a Poppin' / Koosalagoopagoop / Project Dee Dee" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Stormy Weather / The Sandman Sleeps" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Hard Drive Courage / The Ride of the Valkyries" (repeat)

August 5, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Topped Off / Dee Dee's Tail / No Power Trip" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Sister Mom / The Laughing" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Tales of Worm Paranoia"
  • 6:08 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Mina and the Count: Interlude with a Vampire"
  • 6:19 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Yoink! of the Yukon"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Pfish and Chip: Short Pfuse"
  • 6:38 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Malcolm and Melvin"
  • 6:49 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Cow and Chicken: No Smoking"

August 6, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dexter's Lab: A Story / Coupon for Craziness / Better Off Wet" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Critical Gas / Let's Save the World, You Jerk / Average Joe" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Scuba-Scuba Doo / Conway the Contaminationist" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Katz Under the Sea / Curtain of Cruelty" (repeat)

August 7, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Rushmore Rumble / A Boy and His Bug / You Vegetabelieve It" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "That's Using Your Head / Dad is Disturbed / Framed" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Feast of the Bullfrogs / Tulip's Worm" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "So in Lourves Are We Two / Night of the Scarecrow" (repeat)

August 8, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Blackfoot and Slim / Trapped with a Vengence / The Parrot Trap" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "DiM / Just an Old Fashioned Lab Song / Repairanoid" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Mondo Magic / Watch the Birdies" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Courage the Cowardly Dog - "Fishy Business / Angry Nasty People" (repeat)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
Nice to finally have a new promo for the block after they spent months airing that obsolete promo with Samurai Jack clips. It is a bit surprising what WAC shorts they chose to feature in the promo though. I thought they would have a clip from Johnny Bravo. They must know people have wanted to see him on the block and this is his first (brief) appearance. It is nice to see some of the more obscure shorts getting highlighted though, even if it’s only an hour a week.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Staff member
Reporter
Andy Merrill posted a wonderful update:
4A0140DC-B2B3-4A08-94F0-832F7FD03626.jpeg.0697c17d001ce0a9c5a131c38ccf9d61.jpeg

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Andy Merrill posted a wonderful update:
View attachment 309378
I'm genuinely happy for him. Andy Merrill has been trying to get Brak back on TV for years now, and then the poor guy didn't get the gig on MeTV. This is very good news; I just hope WBD doesn't screw him over; don't forget to read the fine print, Andy.

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
They aired a promo that also has footage from other What a Cartoons like "Ignoramooses", "Strange Things", "Boid n Woim", "Lost Cat" and "Gramps", so I'm guessing those are confirmed for later in August.

Judging from the footage in that promo, most of the original 48 What a Cartoons that will air on Checkered Past will definitely be sourced from the prints on HBO MAX Latin America. None of the pilots from the cartoons that got picked up are on there sans the ones featuring The Powerpuff Girls (and Larry and Steve if you really want to count it) so I don’t know what version or print of them will be shown when they run on Checkered Past (will it be versions that ran as part of their shows or the original What a Cartoon versions (who have alternate, theatrical-style credits for the Cow and Chicken and Courage ones on some prints too!) I mean). I also don’t know what print the post-1998 Cartoon Cartoon pilots will be sourced from (though judging from the promo, Lost Cat appears to have a never before seen restoration).

Eldorado

Well, What A Cartoon aired today and the editing is terrible.

For some reason, they used the What A Cartoon parts of the Cow And Chicken pilot (which was the part that exactly what I was thinking about recently) and then it transitions to the music from The Cartoon Cartoon Show. The credits are used for The Cartoon Cartoon show except for the Yukie Duck cartoon which uses the What A Cartoon music. Then finally when showing the Johnny Bravo pilot they instead play it from the Johnny Bravo show instead of World Premiere Toons.

If they're going to air these then they should at least be coherent.

Either way, I enjoy the fact that they're airing again.

parkersfan89

Well, What A Cartoon aired today and the editing is terrible.

For some reason, they used the What A Cartoon parts of the Cow And Chicken pilot (which was the part that exactly what I was thinking about recently) and then it transitions to the music from The Cartoon Cartoon Show. The credits are used for The Cartoon Cartoon show except for the Yukie Duck cartoon which uses the What A Cartoon music. Then finally when showing the Johnny Bravo pilot they instead play it from the Johnny Bravo show instead of World Premiere Toons.

If they're going to air these then they should at least be coherent.

Either way, I enjoy the fact that they're airing again.
at least, they didnt suffer any technical difficulties like when Evil Con Carne & Cow & Chicken premiered on CP!

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
For some reason, they used the What A Cartoon parts of the Cow And Chicken pilot (which was the part that exactly what I was thinking about recently) and then it transitions to the music from The Cartoon Cartoon Show. The credits are used for The Cartoon Cartoon show except for the Yukie Duck cartoon which uses the What A Cartoon music.
That’s odd. HBO MAX Latin America’s prints of those shorts (besides the Johnny Bravo one since it’s not on there) all have the original What a Cartoon music on them. Wonder why they changed it (EDIT: I was wrong. They’re the same on there as the Checkered Past versions (sans Cow and Chicken What a Cartoon opening) I was mistaken)
Then finally when showing the Johnny Bravo pilot they instead play it from the Johnny Bravo show instead of World Premiere Toons.
I saw it happen live and it was so jarring to go from the What a Cartoon opening to the Johnny Bravo intro.

(Also, some of the shorts had an epileptic seizures warning screen at the beginning clearly meant for Cartoon Network proper)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts