“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if WAC bombed. The shorts are very obscure compared to the main shows on Checkered Past. It was nice to see, but very niche stuff even for a nostalgia block. Cartoon Planet is probably better remembered. Plus it will help them avoid the bad PR they got from the Andy Merrill situation. They seem to have hired him to do some new skits during the breaks, and this is a good place to fit those. We have had only one new bumper in the last six months, and some of the same few clips have aired every day for months. It will be a nice change to see some new bumpers.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Turns out the last time it played on tv at all was in 2006
Yeah, the last time Cartoon Planet did aired on Adult Swim was in 2006, however, don't quote on this, I do heard Cartoon Planet did aired again in the early 2020's during Pete Smith Day Marathon, and that's about it.
Well, What a Cartoon was nice while it lasted. Though, TBH, outside of the shorts that were picked up for a series, most of them aren't much more than interesting little footnotes in Cartoon Network's early history.
Yeah, true. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but What a Cartoon was a nice addition to Checkered Past's lineup, but it wasn't as impactful or interesting compared to others, now I think about it.
I wonder if WAC bombed. The shorts are very obscure compared to the main shows on Checkered Past. It was nice to see, but very niche stuff even for a nostalgia block.
Good point. The What a Cartoon shorts are very niche compare to the ones actually picked up as Cartoon Cartoons. Still, the shorts are still available for free on YouTube (or Max, if you live in Latin America) if you wanna get your WAC fix. Like this one for example.

EDIT/UPDATE: Here's what Andy Merrill have to say about this.

Like Andy said, all the Cartoon Planet (the 90's version) episodes are available for free on YouTube. Like this one example.

Last edited:

VG_Addict

I also didn't realize Butch Hartman had so many credits under his belt before he hit it big with Fairly OddParents. His name is in a LOT of the What a Cartoon shorts.

VG_Addict

I feel about most of the What a Cartoon shorts the same way I would feel about reading a mildly interesting fact on the internet. I say, "Huh", and never think about it again.

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
I feel about most of the What a Cartoon shorts the same way I would feel about reading a mildly interesting fact on the internet. I say, "Huh", and never think about it again.
Yeah, I agree that some shorts in that series are better than others.

Really wish more info about the production of the shorts was available online though. I'd certainly would like to hear it (even if it relates to one of the weaker shorts).

parkersfan89

CP's schedule for early September (Sep. 9 would be the WAC show's last day on CP, before being swapped out with Cartoon Planet. Also the following week, Cartoon Planet debuts on CP & EE&E is back, While Dexter, Courage, & WAC gone from CP. At least, for now) Let's hope CP brings WAC, Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, & SJ back into rotation in the future. And, have them swap with any of the stuff they're playing at the moment:

September 2, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "The Scrying Game / Monstrosi-Dee Dee / Dad Man Walking" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dexter's Little Dilemma / Faux Chapeau / D2" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Hard Luck Duck"
  • 6:08 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Swamp and Tad: Mission Imfrogable"
  • 6:19 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "The Zoonatiks: Home Sweet Home"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Larry and Steve" (repeat)
  • 6:38 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "George and Junior: George and Junior's Christmas Spectacular"
  • 6:49 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Hillbilly Blue"

September 3, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Head Band / Stuffed Animal House / Used Ink" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "School Girl Crushed / Chess Mom / Father Knows Least" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Billy and the Bully / To Eris Human / Big Trouble in Billy's Basement" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Battle of the Bands / Little Rock of Horrors / Dream a Little Dream" (repeat)

September 4, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dexter the Barbarian / Tuber Time / Sore Eyes" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Babe Sitter / Mountain Mandark / 2Geniuses 2Gether 4Ever" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Meet the Reaper / Skeletons in the Water Closet / Opposite Day" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Get Out of My Head! / Look Alive! / Mortal Dilemma" (repeat)

September 5, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Height Unseen / Bygone Errors / Folly Calls" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Voice Over / The Blonde Leading the Blonde / Comic Stripper" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Fiend is Like Friend Without the "R" / Recipe for Disaster / A Dumb Wish" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Grim or Gregory? / Grim vs. Mom / Tastes Like Chicken" (repeat)

September 9, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Tee Party / Dexter's Wacky Races" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "The Lab of Tomorrow / Chicken Scratch / Garage Sale" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Johnny Bravo" (repeat)
  • 6:08 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Sledgehammer O'Possum: Out and About"
  • 6:19 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Pfish and Chip: Short Pfuse"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "George and Junior: Look Out Below"
  • 6:38 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Yuckie Duck: Short Orders"
  • 6:49 p.m. ET/PT - What a Cartoon! - "Courage the Cowardly Dog: The Chicken from Outer Space" (repeat)

September 10, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "They Got Chops / Poetic Injustice / Comedy of Feathers" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Star Spangled Sidekicks / TV Super Pals / Game Over" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Billy & Mandy's Jacked Up Halloween" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Something Stupid This Way Comes / A Grim Surprise / Beasts and Barbarians" (repeat)

September 11, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Babysitter Blues / Vanhallen's Room / Dream Machine" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Doll House Drama / Krunk's Date / The Big Cheese" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Spider's Little Daddy / Tricycle of Terror" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Dumb Luck / No Body Loves Grim" (repeat)

September 12, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Space Case / Ratman / Dexter's Debt" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dexter's Rival / Bee Where? / Mandarker" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Lil' Porkchop / Skarred for Life" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "House of Pain / A Grim Prophecy / Mandy Bites Dog" (repeat)

September 16, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "The Ed-Touchables / Nagged to Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Pop Goes the Ed / Over Your Ed" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Cartoon Planet - "Planet of Doom"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Cartoon Planet - "Monkey Trouble"

September 17, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Sir Ed-a-Lot / A Pinch to Grow and Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Dawn of the Eds / Virt-Ed-Go" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Nursery Crimes / My Peeps" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Bully Boogie / Here Thar Be Dwarves!" (repeat)

September 18, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Read All About Ed / Quick Shot Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "An Ed Too Many / Ed-n-Seek" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Nigel Planter and the Chamber Pot of Secrets / Circus of Fear" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Which Came First? / Substitute Teacher" (repeat)

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts