“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

parkersfan89

Thanks.

However, I’ll make it up to to y’all by informing you that yesterday’s broadcast of Meet the Reaper on What a Cartoon didn’t have the What a Cartoon opening like the other shorts (makes sense as that aired after the What a Cartoon series ended) and had no credits.
same with Johnny Bravo when 1st aired on CP as part of WAC! it had the actual show's intro!

parkersfan89

What does anyone think of today's WAC shorts:
Wind Up Wolf
Sledgehammer O'Possum
Kitchen Casanova
Lost Cat
Rat in Hot Tin Can
Babe, He Calls Me (Malcolm & Melvin)

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Staff member
Reporter
It was interesting to see Lost Cat got to use its original intro and outro music. Maybe this is because it was originally created for the Big Pick Weekend, rather than What A Cartoon. The Malcolm and Melvin short is rated TV-Y7, this time, which is surprising, since the previous one was TV-14. 4/6 of the shorts today were TV-Y7. I would have expected a Bakahi short to be at least TV-PG if not TV-14. Like the other Bakshi short, the character designs are very sexualized. There was also a character with a cigarette in his mouth, though smoke didn’t seem to be coming from the cigarette, despite one end being red.

parkersfan89

It was interesting to see Lost Cat got to use its original intro and outro music. Maybe this is because it was originally created for the Big Pick Weekend, rather than What A Cartoon. The Malcolm and Melvin short is rated TV-Y7, this time, which is surprising, since the previous one was TV-14. 4/6 of the shorts today were TV-Y7. I would have expected a Bakahi short to be at least TV-PG if not TV-14. Like the other Bakshi short, the character designs are very sexualized. There was also a character with a cigarette in his mouth, though smoke didn’t seem to be coming from the cigarette, despite one end being red.
the Kitchen Casanova one looks like something that CN would air on the O Canada block from back in the day!

Mejo

Four Legged Zoo
It was interesting to see Lost Cat got to use its original intro and outro music. Maybe this is because it was originally created for the Big Pick Weekend, rather than What A Cartoon.
It was so strange that they STILL used the Cow and Chicken What a Cartoon intro on it, despite Lost Cat not originally airing on that program.

Really enjoyed that cartoon though. Love David Feiss’s work and Phil LaMarr was great as the titular Lost Cat (I could barely tell it was him!)
the Kitchen Casanova one looks like something that CN would air on the O Canada block from back in the day!
Yeah, the designs really reminded me of an NFBD short (heck I remember that I actually mistook this one at first for being MADE by them).

Really surprised that this one was rated TV-Y7 though, considering the scene where the main character cuts his finger off causing blood to come out of it (I actually heard it wasn’t shown often because of this scene, though I can’t find a reliable source confirming this).

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
4/6 of the shorts today were TV-Y7
Looking at the schedule for the next 2 weeks, it seems that nearly all the premiering shorts are TV-Y7. I wonder why they changed that.
WAC shorts for September 9:

6:00 - Johnny Bravo
6:10 - Billy & Mandy: Meet the Reaper
6:20 - Buy One, Get One Free
6:30 - Mina and the Count: Interlude with a Vampire
6:40 - Pizza Boy: No Tip
6:50 - Melvin & Malcolm
I think this may be our first week with all repeats in them.

JMTV

Tater Tot!
Cartoon Planet is coming to Checkered Past!

What the heck, though? They're replacing WAC already?
Oh wow! Okay! Cartoon Planet is a interesting choice. Cartoon Planet did aired on Adult Swim before, so having that show being of Cartoon Planet is not that bad of an idea. And hey, at least Andy is back for the new Brak segments, so this is pretty fitting.

Though it sucks we'll never to get every What a Cartoon pilot, including the OG PPG pilot since it did air on Adult Swim before (my guess CN wants to protect it as long as it can), but hey if Johnny Bravo can make it, who knows, maybe What a Cartoon will come back again in the future.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
At first I thought they would be using the Cartoon Planet title to showcase random Cartoon Cartoon episodes and maybe What A Cartoon shorts, similar to the rebooted version from a decade ago, but guess not. "Planet of Doom" and "Monkey Trouble" are currently listed for September 16th.

Also, Ed, Edd n Eddy is back for an hour in the 5:00 om slot on the same day.

VG_Addict

Cartoon Planet is replacing What a Cartoon?

Well, What a Cartoon was nice while it lasted. Though, TBH, outside of the shorts that were picked up for a series, most of them aren't much more than interesting little footnotes in Cartoon Network's early history.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Kooky Spooky
Cartoon Planet is replacing What a Cartoon?

Well, What a Cartoon was nice while it lasted. Though, TBH, outside of the shorts that were picked up for a series, most of them aren't much more than interesting little footnotes in Cartoon Network's early history.
Yeah. I didn't wish to derail the Happiness Train folks were on, but I admit I had no real interest in WAC beyond the shorts that got bought. Brak (and maybe some of the other Space Ghost characters?) popping up on CKP sounds much more interesting.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts