4kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's To Premiere at San Diego Comic Con

Harlan_Phoenix

Someone should ask the 4Kids People at Comic Con if they are really planning to skip GX season 4 and go stright onto season 1 of 5Ds which I think is a very bad move because we also miss the best duel in the YuGioh series at the end of the series.

This EXACT same rumor came up concerning the last season of Yu-Gi-Oh! during GX's premiere.

Funny how history repeats itself.

Goodfellow

So they aren't doing Season 4? Oh well, I did want to hear an emo Jaden but I'd much rather see Yusei.

How was Judai emo? He finally turned cool in the last season rather than being the happy go lucky little cry baby "I lost a duel" that he was in the previous seasons.

Light, you are right, Hayato was pointless, but he was the only character to get a conclusion. We had learned NOTHING about Judai's past. Daichi just disappeared into thin air. Ryo had a fantastic graduation duel, but then they had to ruin it by making him go all underground just to get some attention. Then you have Dinosaur Kenzan, who did nothing. And let's not forget Asuka, who was just there for fanservice, as was Rei when she came long. Manjyome and Sho were like the only ones to get developed, but after the second season, they stopped caring about Manjyome, and Sho went nowhere after reaching Obelisk class. Finally, Chronos, Napoleon, and the principal did nothing at all. If trouble happened (like the demon cards that were suddenly hidden beneath the school for years without a reason), they were too scared to do anything about it becuase they had no power at all. The show was just to sell cards, plain and simple. There was no plot needed, just having people duel and having women there to attract a male audience, while using Ryo to attract females.

Harlan_Phoenix

How was Judai emo? He finally turned cool in the last season rather than being the happy go lucky little cry baby "I lost a duel" that he was in the previous seasons.

...Since when did he cry when he lost a duel? Cite yourself, because I don't recall ANY moment where he cried over losing.

Light, you are right, Hayato was pointless, but he was the only character to get a conclusion.
Do what now?

We had learned NOTHING about Judai's past.
Did you not watch season 3?

Daichi just disappeared into thin air.
I'll give you this one.

Ryo had a fantastic graduation duel, but then they had to ruin it by making him go all underground just to get some attention.
He wasn't gaining attention; he changed his philosophy in order to save his pro career. And I find it odd you're comparing him with "he had a great fight, but then became a sucky character"...what do you really find more important? Season 4 resolved his character arc rather well by declaring Syrus his rival.

Then you have Dinosaur Kenzan, who did nothing.
Granted.

And let's not forget Asuka, who was just there for fanservice,
Defeated Titan, and later decided on becoming a duel researcher or some such. She didn't do much, admittedly, but they at least resolved her character after ignoring how crucial (outside of battle) she was in season 1.

as was Rei when she came long.
Granted.

Manjyome and Sho were like the only ones to get developed, but after the second season, they stopped caring about Manjyome,
In season 4 he attempts to establish a pro career. Sounds like they cared a little bit more than you're implying: Again, his character was going somewhere.

and Sho went nowhere after reaching Obelisk class.
Right, because defending his brother's honor, inheriting the Cyberdark deck, and finally becoming a strong duelist in Ryo's eyes equates to going nowhere. What show are you watching? I know side character development can be pretty scant in GX, but come on.

Finally, Chronos, Napoleon, and the principal did nothing at all.
Chronos did go nowhere after being an antagonist, this is true. But he was wrapped up decently in the Seven Stars arc when he fought Camula. I thought, anyway. Napoleon was pointless except to be a foil to Chronos, which is what he served to be. As for the principal...he was Zane's old teacher, invited Zane to the GX tournament, and pretty much gave Pegasus any aid he needed.

Are you judging characters based solely on their actions, or how much they dueled?

If trouble happened (like the demon cards that were suddenly hidden beneath the school for years without a reason), they were too scared to do anything about it becuase they had no power at all.
Principal constantly helped Pegasus during the second and third seasons, and I believe fought the Jinzo student in season four. The other two sort of devolved into comic relief, I'll grant.

The show was just to sell cards, plain and simple.
And the show before it wasn't? Why else would they reduce the entire Death T arc into one card battle, and add filler arcs that were all card based? They had theoretically free reign for Doma and the KC Grand Prix: They chose cards for a reason. That's what the animated franchise is for now. Always has.

There was no plot needed, just having people duel and having women there to attract a male audience, while using Ryo to attract females.
I disagree, as outlined above.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Ishtar said:
The original series had more content that was objectional by 4kids standards, though. Although, there were still numerous plot elements that didn't need to be changed and many were just ridiculous changes at that.

That's true. Some of the context that were a part of the storyline were at least a bit higher than what 4Kids would allow. I was mainly thinking of the plot elements that didn't have to be changed at the time, such as Bakura not wanting Mokuba for a new host body in Duelist Kingdom and Joey and Yugi agreeing to face each other in the finals right after Yugi defeated the first Rare Hunter.

I never recall Jaden crying after losing a duel. In the first two episodes of season one, it did look like he was crying, but it was just the annoying slow laugh to show how much fun he was having, despite the fact that he was losing. I've seen all of the episodes that have aired in U.S., but I don't recall any times where Jaden cried over losing a duel.

Goodfellow said:
Light, you are right, Hayato was pointless, but he was the only character to get a conclusion.

I'm not sure if Chumely getting sent off the island to become a card designer would qualify for a conclusion. Especially when we both know that he did nothing and was pretty much pointless for the entire first season. I took it as more of a reason to write him off the show.

Goodfellow said:
We had learned NOTHING about Judai's past.

Even though I haven't seen all of season three yet, a part of Jaden's past was already revealed, at least concerning him and Yubel, after they returned from the other dimension. I'm also pretty sure that we will learn more in a future episode.

Goodfellow said:
Daichi just disappeared into thin air.

Yeah, that's true. That's really too bad since I like Bastion, yet the writers in Japan don't seem to want to give him much love since they keep on sending him off during some of the most important episodes.

Goodfellow said:
Ryo had a fantastic graduation duel, but then they had to ruin it by making him go all underground just to get some attention.

Zane was pretty awesome during the times where he was given attention in season one. While I didn't like how the changed so drastically in season two, especially with how that caused him further trouble in season three, I honestly don't think that the writers could have done anything else with him. He was the first main character to have graduated and they needed to do something with Zane. Honestly, I think that that changeallowed for some of the better duels of the series, as well as some great character development for Syrus. Besides that, his duel against Yubel controlled Jesse was probably the best duel in GX, or at least one of the best.

Goodfellow said:
Then you have Dinosaur Kenzan, who did nothing.

I thought that he did at least a bit more than Chumely did, mostly during season two by providing a rivalary with Syrus. Other than that, yeah nothing.

Goodfellow said:
And let's not forget Asuka, who was just there for fanservice, as was Rei when she came long.

Outside of season one, Alexis didn't do that much and the same goes for Blair. Harlan_Phoenix and Cloud55 know more about what happens to the characters in later episodes.

Goodfellow said:
Manjyome and Sho were like the only ones to get developed, but after the second season, they stopped caring about Manjyome, and Sho went nowhere after reaching Obelisk class.

While I don't like spoilers, I have seen/read parts of episode titles that match what Harlan_Phoenix mentioned. Darn spoilers.So far in season three, few characters other than Jaden, Jesse, Syrus and Zane have really gotten a chance to shine.

Goodfellow said:
Finally, Chronos, Napoleon, and the principal did nothing at all.

Crowler didn't have as much of an active role after he stopped trying to expell Jaden, but I agree with Harlan_Phoenix that his character was finished quite nicely after his duel with Camula. Bonaparte was pretty much there to be Crowler's sidekick and the most active thing he did was trying to tear down the Red dorm. As for the principal, yeah, he was Zane's old teacher, offered him to be a part of the GX tourament and was willing to help Peagus when they were in a jam. That doesn't sound like nothing to me.

Goodfellow said:
If trouble happened (like the demon cards that were suddenly hidden beneath the school for years without a reason), they were too scared to do anything about it becuase they had no power at all.

The principal did met with Peagus during season two and three when they were in trouble. Crowler and Bonaparte were afraid becaue they were often used as comic relief.

Goodfellow said:
The show was just to sell cards, plain and simple. There was no plot needed, just having people duel and having women there to attract a male audience, while using Ryo to attract females.

Umm, the show has always been about selling the cards. Even in the filler arcs of the DM, it was about playing the card game. While it is there to advertise the cards, I disagree that there is no plot. You could clearly tell that both DM and GX has had a plot from the beginning, even though the first half of GX was more of just introducing the characters. The female characters barely duel. It's mostly the male characters that actually have duels. I don't think that they're using the designs of the characters to attract more viewers. It's more about the duels and story that they're presented in than simply how they look.

Goodfellow

Did you see the duel against Yubel? They do give some of his past. Heck, most of an episode is dedicated to it.

So, what about his duel against in season 3? I thought it was done very well.

....And, I hope you didn't think Jim was pointless? Imo, he was the best one there. :sweat:

Who's Jim? As for the duel with Yubel, just knowing he had that card as a kid does not make him have character development. I mean I want real development. His family life in particular. Does he have an siblings? Are his parents still alive?

...Since when did he cry when he lost a duel? Cite yourself, because I don't recall ANY moment where he cried over losing.

In Season 2 he lost to Edo, got all depressed and left the school. This was pretty much when I stopped watching the show weekly.

Did you not watch season 3?

Bits and pieces here and there. Like I said, the show jumped 8 sharks once he lost to Edo.

He wasn't gaining attention; he changed his philosophy in order to save his pro career. And I find it odd you're comparing him with "he had a great fight, but then became a sucky character"...what do you really find more important? Season 4 resolved his character arc rather well by declaring Syrus his rival.

But his story was done with episode 52. There was no reason to bring him back.

Defeated Titan, and later decided on becoming a duel researcher or some such. She didn't do much, admittedly, but they at least resolved her character after ignoring how crucial (outside of battle) she was in season 1.

I'm thinking of more once her brother came in. After he was found, she became pretty much background with breasts.

In season 4 he attempts to establish a pro career. Sounds like they cared a little bit more than you're implying: Again, his character was going somewhere.

I didn't see any episodes with him in them for Season 4 thanks to Saiyaman skipping 162-174.

Right, because defending his brother's honor, inheriting the Cyberdark deck, and finally becoming a strong duelist in Ryo's eyes equates to going nowhere. What show are you watching? I know side character development can be pretty scant in GX, but come on.

Same as above.

Chronos did go nowhere after being an antagonist, this is true. But he was wrapped up decently in the Seven Stars arc when he fought Camula. I thought, anyway. Napoleon was pointless except to be a foil to Chronos, which is what he served to be. As for the principal...he was Zane's old teacher, invited Zane to the GX tournament, and pretty much gave Pegasus any aid he needed.

Who is Zane?

Harlan_Phoenix

In Season 2 he lost to Edo, got all depressed and left the school. This was pretty much when I stopped watching the show weekly.

...Because he could no longer see his cards. Not because he lost. His loss to Ryo proves that he only cares about having fun. He got depressed because he could no longer see his cards or sense their spirits. I thought they made that really obvious. How could you miss that?

Bits and pieces here and there. Like I said, the show jumped 8 sharks once he lost to Edo.
So you claimed Judai had no backstory when you didn't even watch the season his backstory was in? Nice.

No it wasn't. He wasn't "brought back"; that implies he became a student again. We just continued to follow his progress. Nothing in the series implied he was leaving the cast for good.

I'm thinking of more once her brother came in. After he was found, she became pretty much background with breasts.
She has development time in season 4 and was also one of the most important duelists in the Society of Light. I can't agree with this to the extent you're claiming.

I didn't see any episodes with him in them for Season 4 thanks to Saiyaman skipping 162-174.
Then, again, your claims have little credibility or merit.

Same as above.
Same as above.

Who is Zane?
Ryo. Sorry, I slipped into a dub name for a moment.

Goodfellow

Okay, backstory in what? He duels Yubel, is then suddenly the King of Darkness, and then has color changing eyes.

Anyway, we are going way off topic, so I'll just end it here. I am still curious to see if the Jp producers are going to learn about true anime fans' disdain for 4Kids' dubs.

Bratbat

And what do you expect the JP producers to do about it? Make special terms in the contract?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Goodfellow said:
Who's Jim? As for the duel with Yubel, just knowing he had that card as a kid does not make him have character development. I mean I want real development. His family life in particular. Does he have an siblings? Are his parents still alive?

Jim is one of the best characters introduced in season three, in my opinion. He was the first one to try to break Jaden/Judi out of the control of the Supreme King. As for your questions, we usually don't get that much information for any characters in a Yu-Gi-Oh! series. We don't know if any of their parents are alive. I haven't seen the rest of the season three yet, but there might be some more about his past. I honestly don't see what his family life would have to do in terms of his development. So we learn that his parents are alive and he has no siblings. What's so important? That was just a guess on my part, by the way.

Goodfellow said:
n Season 2 he lost to Edo, got all depressed and left the school. This was pretty much when I stopped watching the show weekly.

No offense, but I don't think that you were paying attention when you were watching that episode. He wasn't depressed that he lost. Jaden lost three times in season one and didn't go into a state of depression. He was sad because he couldn't see his cards anymore, which should have been clear by the beginning of the episode after he lost.

Goodfellow said:

I'm not sure how good your argument is when you haven't even at least watched the majority of the season. The show didn't jump any sharks when Jaden/Judi lost to Aster/Edo.

Goodfellow said:

His story was no where near done in episode 52. That was just the end to his time as a student there. I didn't even think that Zane/Ryo wouldn't show up again in a future episode when I watched the episode because there wasn't anything leading towards that conclusion.

Goodfellow said:

She did defeat Titan later on in season one, as well as becoming one of the members of the Society of Light in season two, which I forgot about earlier. I haven't watched season four so I don't know what kind of treatment she has then.

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
Hey did anybody know that there is a woman who actually does things in 5D's? And is a very significant main character?

My brain just exploded.

DinoQueen13

Life is Now or Never
Hey did anybody know that there is a woman who actually does things in 5D's? And is a very significant main character?

My brain just exploded.
Aki Izayoi? The Black Rose Witch (they're one and the same)?
She is one of the signers that Rex Godwin is looking for and owns the Black Rose Dragon
I just can't wait to see what the dub will do to her. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll keep her name as Aki. They've done that in Dinosaur King but Mrs. Taylor was a very minor character.

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
Aki Izayoi? The Black Rose Witch (they're one and the same)?
She is one of the signers that Rex Godwin is looking for and owns the Black Rose Dragon
I just can't wait to see what the dub will do to her. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll keep her name as Aki. They've done that in Dinosaur King but Mrs. Taylor was a very minor character.

Yeah, her. A woman having a main role? In a Yu-Gi-Oh series? Absurd

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Don’t miss the English-language world premiere of the new Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s animated series! The entire debut episode will be screened, followed by commentary from producer Teruaki Jitsumatsu, who has flown in from Japan just for this event. Plus, fans will hear from Greg Abbey, the voice of Yusei, the young hero of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s. Mr. Abbey has also voiced Raphael in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, among many other cartoon and anime roles.
Okay, so Yusei gets to keep his name.

I've never heard of Greg Abbey. Is he Frank Frankson/John Campbell? That would mean he's Tristan's voice actor.

PC!

lolwut?

I've never heard of Greg Abbey. Is he Frank Frankson/John Campbell? That would mean he's Tristan's voice actor.

Yep, he is. Sheesh, how many names does that guy need? :p

Interesting that the producer is going to be at the screening. No pressure, 4Kids. :D

Ishtar

Wait, did they even show the dub at all? And yes, seems like it is Frank Frankson/John Campbell under another alias.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Wait, did they even show the dub at all? And yes, seems like it is Frank Frankson/John Campbell under another alias.

Yea, they probably did, but it's only been an hour or two since then, and I doubt anyone has got back from Comic Con yet, let alone upload the episode.

I just found that extra info at the Janime forums. I'll keep my eye out for more information.

The new issue of Shonen Jump also confirms that Yusei and Jack will keep their names.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
The new issue of Shonen Jump also confirms that Yusei and Jack will keep their names.
Were they just mentioned as Yusei and Jack, or their full names? I'm wondering how 4Kids will choose to spell Jack's name, as calling him Jack Atlas would require a lot of digital editing (his name is plastered everywhere). On a similar note, Fudo Yusei or something else?

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Were they just mentioned as Yusei and Jack, or their full names? I'm wondering how 4Kids will choose to spell Jack's name, as calling him Jack Atlas would require a lot of digital editing (his name is plastered everywhere). On a similar note, Fudo Yusei or something else?

Well, this is what was posted:
Yusei Fudo (18 year old genius)
Jack Atlas

At the bottom of the page though NOTE: SERIES NAMES AND TERMS MAY CHANGE
So, I guess it really doesn't confirm much of anything... :sweat:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, lemme get this straight. VA's have gone on strike protesting AI replicating their voices, and SAG-AFTRA signs a partnership deal with Narrativ? Apparently this is the second time SAG-AFTRA has done something like this.
Toonsylvania is a hidden gem from the late 90s, A real shame that the show hasn't been recognized since the early 2000s.
25 years ago today! Fox Kids introduced the United States to Digimon , the anime. Happy American 25th anniversary to it!

Featured Posts