4Kids Talkback: The Madness Ends Here - The 4Kids Discussion V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomegranate

Bah, Qubo and KEWLopolis? Shows that land on those blocks are doomed from the start.

True, but at least they've original programming from the companies that own these networks!

Chaotic may be successful right now, but it isn't growing so high that they can't even consider getting another program. It would be a horrible move on their part to just depend on one show for all of their money and virtually ignored everything else that they have.

I agree it would be a horrible move for a company to ignore most of their properties just to focus on one for all their money, but what I was trying to say is that 4Kids should focus more on original productions/creations rather than just play it cheap by acquiring more shows.

In case you didn't know, most of 4Kids' products are based on licensed properties. For instance, Chaotic comes from a Danish toy company called Solit Entertainment, while TMNT2003 is from Mirage, G.I. Joe Sigma 6 is from Hasbro, Viva Pinata is from Microsoft and Bratz is from MGA Entertainment! Only genuine original 4Kids product I can think is that cheesy WMAC Masters show that used on air on Fox like 7 years ago, IIRC!

Last edited by a moderator:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I agree it would be a horrible move for a company to ignore most of their properties just to focus on one for all their money, but what was I trying to say is that 4Kids should focus more on original productions/creations rather than just play it cheap by acquiring more shows.

In case you didn't know, most of 4Kids' products are based on licensed properties. For instance, Chaotic comes from a Danish toy company called Solit Entertainment, while TMNT2003 is from Mirage, G.I. Joe Sigma 6 is from Hasbro, Viva Pinata is from Microsoft and Bratz is from MGA Entertainment! Only genuine original 4Kids product I can think is that cheesy WMAC Masters show that used on air on Fox like 7 years ago, IIRC!

I don't understand what's makes acquiring more shows so cheep, compared to making their original productions that is. Both require a large sum of money to begin with. Most networks and blocks have shows from different animation companies. Beside that, I thought that 4Kids does have some influence over their shows, such as Chaotic and TMNT, outside of the voice actors, but I'm not one-hundred percent sure at the moment.

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
I don't understand what's makes acquiring more shows so cheep, compared to making their original productions that is. Both require a large sum of money to begin with. Most networks and blocks have shows from different animation companies. Beside that, I thought that 4Kids does have some influence over their shows, such as Chaotic and TMNT, outside of the voice actors, but I'm not one-hundred percent sure at the moment.

Licensing a show only involves paying a fee to get the rights and maybe hire VAs/translators if its in another language.

Making your own requires much more money for production, VAs, writers, animators, and other start-up factors.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Here's an article that ICv2 released today interviewing TC Digital about their organized play plans for Chaotic.

I also thought it would be neat to do a list about possible programming for 4Kids in the fall, now that we're only a few months away.

Series Confirmed To Air
TMNT: Back to the Sewers (13 confirmed episodes)
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (Probably either a 26 or 52 episode season)

Series Likely To Air
Chaotic (Another 26 episode batch or so seems very likely)
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (26 episodes left once season three finishes)
Dinosaur King (23 episodes left for season one)

Series That Could Air
Viva
Piñata (This one is up in the air...the games haven't been selling that great and the ratings are mediocre, but there's supposedly a new game being released later this year)
Rocket Monkeys (Pilot aired on 4Kids.tv, responses have been mixed)
Huntik (New action series from the creators of Winx Club)
Tommy and Oscar (Preschool series from the creators of Winx Club)
Tom and Jerry Tales (Highest rated show on Kids' WB in the past year or two)
The Spectacular Spider-Man (Off to a decent start on Kids' WB, and many would like to see it paired with TMNT)
Magi Nation (Kids' WB series from Cookie Jar, has garnered decent ratings, despite its early airing)
Johnny Test (Another Cookie Jar series that has been one of the most successful series on Kids' WB in recent years)
Various Shows from the 4Kids Library (Sonic X, Shaman King, Ultimate Muscle, Magical DoReMi, Di-Gata Defenders, etc.)

The other Kids' WB shows (Wall & Dewitt, Skunk Fu, World of Quest and Eon Kid) I don't see returning in the fall.

So, anything I missed, or is there something that you feel should be in a different category?

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
So...Jeff Harris just pointed out this article, and it has some interesting stuff in it. Some of it we know about, some if it is new. I'll post the new stuff:
  • Chaotic: 4Kids will look to further develop the property's existing licensing program in 2008, focusing on such key categories as publishing, consumer electronics, computer and mobile accessories, collector figures and novelty products.
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cabbage Patch Kids:[/FONT] To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the brand, the original kid is coming back to store shelves. A special limited edition commemorative 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kid will arrive at retailers nationwide this fall. The launch of the Anniversary Kid will be supported by a "one-of-a-kind" layered multi-million dollar campaign including an online consumer promotion and sweepstakes with a top entertainment magazine that invites consumers to share their Cabbage Patch Kid Memories.
  • TMNT: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Following the successful movie video game, Ubisoft will be releasing a new TMNT game on the ever-popular Wii platform in 2009. 4Kids is expanding their TMNT retro line for young adults as well. In addition to the already top-selling tees from Giant, 4Kids Entertainment has recently signed on several new licensees for accessories (Bioworld), mobile content (uclick) and loungewear (Briefly Stated). Inspired by the merchandise lines' widespread success, the company will now look to continue the TMNT momentum by adding new licensees across categories including amusement and vending, accessories, seasonal items and more.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monster Jam: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2008 Monster Jam season is on track to surpass the record-setting 2007 season, with more than four million Monster Jam fans in attendance at stadium and arena events in the U.S., Canada and Europe. The Monsters will also be infiltrating Latin America for the first time in 2008, with the first Monster Jam show in Costa Rica. Monster Jam will also rev up for its fifth season on the SPEED channel and a one-hour special on CBS on April 27.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dinosaur King: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4Kids is planning to roll out a Trading Card Game with Upper Deck in time for holiday 2008, a video game with Sega in August, and a DVD in October. They will debut a line of DINOSAUR KING toys from Playmates in Spring 2009.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I look forward to the new TMNT game. The TCG, video game, DVDs and toy line for Dinosaur King sound great, too.

[/FONT]May 10th, 2008
08:00 AM Viva Pinata - My Sweet Sours; Six Million Dollar Pinata
08:30 AM Viva Pinata - A Terrible Tribute; Pester the Pinata
09:00 AM Chaotic - The Ultimate Scan
09:30 AM Chaotic - An Easy Win
10:00 AM Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Things Change
10:30 AM Dinosaur King - Bungle in the Jungle
11:00 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - What Lies Beneath: Part III (NEW)
11:30 AM Winx Club - Mission to Tides

So...TMNT goes back to episode one. I thought we'd get Fast Forward reruns for sure, but I'm not complaining.

And wait...a three-part duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX? Has that ever happened before?

CyberCubed

Y'know, I wonder if TMNT Seasons 1-6 reruns will air on 4kidsTV throughout this fall while Season 7 airs on CW4kids.

Maybe TMNT starting at episode 1 and they could actually go through most of the series while the new eps air at the other channel, although it would be stupid to have them at the same time...

Light Lucario

Staff member
So...Jeff Harris just pointed out this article, and it has some interesting stuff in it. Some of it we know about, some if it is new. I'll post the new stuff:
  • Chaotic: 4Kids will look to further develop the property's existing licensing program in 2008, focusing on such key categories as publishing, consumer electronics, computer and mobile accessories, collector figures and novelty products.
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cabbage Patch Kids:[/FONT] To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the brand, the original kid is coming back to store shelves. A special limited edition commemorative 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kid will arrive at retailers nationwide this fall. The launch of the Anniversary Kid will be supported by a "one-of-a-kind" layered multi-million dollar campaign including an online consumer promotion and sweepstakes with a top entertainment magazine that invites consumers to share their Cabbage Patch Kid Memories.
  • TMNT: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Following the successful movie video game, Ubisoft will be releasing a new TMNT game on the ever-popular Wii platform in 2009. 4Kids is expanding their TMNT retro line for young adults as well. In addition to the already top-selling tees from Giant, 4Kids Entertainment has recently signed on several new licensees for accessories (Bioworld), mobile content (uclick) and loungewear (Briefly Stated). Inspired by the merchandise lines' widespread success, the company will now look to continue the TMNT momentum by adding new licensees across categories including amusement and vending, accessories, seasonal items and more.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monster Jam: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2008 Monster Jam season is on track to surpass the record-setting 2007 season, with more than four million Monster Jam fans in attendance at stadium and arena events in the U.S., Canada and Europe. The Monsters will also be infiltrating Latin America for the first time in 2008, with the first Monster Jam show in Costa Rica. Monster Jam will also rev up for its fifth season on the SPEED channel and a one-hour special on CBS on April 27.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dinosaur King: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4Kids is planning to roll out a Trading Card Game with Upper Deck in time for holiday 2008, a video game with Sega in August, and a DVD in October. They will debut a line of DINOSAUR KING toys from Playmates in Spring 2009.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I look forward to the new TMNT game. The TCG, video game, DVDs and toy line for Dinosaur King sound great, too.

[/FONT]May 10th, 2008
08:00 AM Viva Pinata - My Sweet Sours; Six Million Dollar Pinata
08:30 AM Viva Pinata - A Terrible Tribute; Pester the Pinata
09:00 AM Chaotic - The Ultimate Scan
09:30 AM Chaotic - An Easy Win
10:00 AM Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Things Change
10:30 AM Dinosaur King - Bungle in the Jungle
11:00 AM Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - What Lies Beneath: Part III (NEW)
11:30 AM Winx Club - Mission to Tides

So...TMNT goes back to episode one. I thought we'd get Fast Forward reruns for sure, but I'm not complaining.

I'm so glad that Dinosaur King is getting a DVD release in the fall. I'm also planning to get the video game when it comes out. So they're starting with the first episode of TMNT? Awesome. I would so take that over the Fast Forward repeats that they've aired like three times each at least.

D Dubbs said:
And wait...a three-part duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX? Has that ever happened before?

Cloud55 does bring up a good point about how last week's episode was more of a transition episode. I'm not sure if they did that before with the DM series, but maybe they did at some point. The only real three part duel in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX was the duel between Jaden and Viper earlier this season. That still surprised me since GX never had a duel for more than two episodes. I kind of missed the longer duels that the DM series had. They were full of dialogue, but I thought that allowed for the duels to be more interesting. At least the duels in GX from season two and onward have been much more interesting than most of the duels from season one. Anyway, they also had that Field of Screams three-parter, but that doesn't count because how they were three separate duels in the span of three episodes.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, April 26, 2008 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):

CW (Kids' WB!) 1.1/5
ABC 0.9/4
FOX (4Kids TV) 0.9/4

7:00 AM
Will & Dewitt 0.4 (KWB)

7:30 AM
Magi Nation 0.6 (KWB)

8:00 AM
Skunk Fu! 0.9 (KWB)
Viva Pinata 0.4 (4Kids)

8:30 AM
Tom & Jerry Tales 1.5 (KWB)
Viva Pinata 0.7 (4Kids)

9:00 AM
Tom and Jerry Tales 1.6 (KWB)
Chaotic 0.8 (4Kids)
The Emperor's New School 0.6 (ABC)

9:30 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man 1.3 (KWB)
Chaotic 0.9 (4Kids)
The Replacements 0.7 (ABC)

10:00 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man 1.3 (KWB)
TMNT 1.1 (4Kids)
That's So Raven 0.7 (ABC)

10:30 AM
Dinosaur King 1.3 (4Kids)
That's So Raven 1.1 (ABC)
World of Quest 1.0 (KWB)

11:00 AM
Hannah Montana 1.5 (ABC)
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX 1.1 (4Kids)
Johnny Test 1.1 (KWB)

11:30 AM
The Suite Life of Zack and Cody 1.5 (ABC)
Eon Kid 0.9 (KWB)
Winx Club 0.7 (4Kids)

12:00 PM
Power Rangers Jungle Fury 0.8 (ABC)

12:30 PM
Power Rangers Jungle Fury 0.7 (ABC)

Looks like Chaotic and TMNT are in bit of a slump.

Also, in stock-related news, after months of continually decreasing stock price, 4Kids made some ground this week by as their stock price increased by nearly a dollar:

stocksvs3.png

Now, this may just be the result of the buybacks that 4Kids issued back in late 2007, but it's still a good sign for the company. Let's see if they can keep it up.

CyberCubed

Well its no surprise that Spiderman is finally picking up steam. 4kids would be stupid if they didn't keep the show for however long it does on instead of letting CN get it.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
For Spidey, could you really blame people for wanting to check out how awesome the Green Goblin was? Though Dino King and YGO GX seem strong, even though GX tied with JT.

Pomegranate

Well its no surprise that Spiderman is finally picking up steam. 4kids would be stupid if they didn't keep the show for however long it does on instead of letting CN get it.

Not to be rude or anything, but you're starting to sound like a broken record when you keep on saying 4Kids should get Spectacular Spiderman instead of CN over and over again. Yes, I can understand CN is a total mess of a network right now and its current lineup doesn't hold a single candle to the lineups of its glory days, but that doesn't automatically make 4Kids any better than the 3 main cable children's networks(CN, Nick and Disney Channel) nor do they deserve any Pixar/Aardman-esque praise from the online animation fandom:yawn: .

I don't understand what's makes acquiring more shows so cheep, compared to making their original productions that is. Both require a large sum of money to begin with.

^Above this post of mine, Gryph summed up my views concerning this issue very nicely!

Most networks and blocks have shows from different animation companies.

So? That doesn't mean 4Kids should do the same exact thing, because they're not as good as other media firms when it comes to handling 3rd-party properties! Have you ever heard of the possibility of being both unique and innovative?

Beside that, I thought that 4Kids does have some influence over their shows, such as Chaotic and TMNT, outside of the voice actors, but I'm not one-hundred percent sure at the moment.

As I've said before, most of their shows are based on licensed IPs rather than their own original IPs!

CyberCubed

I want 4kids to keep Spiderman because a 1 hour block of that and TMNT back to back would be excellent.

Why can't we have two comic book/super hero esque shows back to back? People who never watched TMNT can get into it while watching Spiderman and vice versa.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Not to be rude or anything, but you're starting to sound like a broken record when you keep on saying 4Kids should get Spectacular Spiderman instead of CN over and over again. Yes, I can understand CN is a total mess of a network right now and its current lineup doesn't hold a single candle to the lineups of its glory days, but that doesn't automatically make 4Kids any better than the 3 main cable children's networks(CN, Nick and Disney Channel) nor do they deserve any Pixar/Aardman-esque praise from the online animation fandom:yawn: .

So says the person who often repeats how Chaotic is amazingly popular, on the edge of HM level, and will destroy other properties from Disney when it never will. Honestly, I agree with CyberCubed on how it would be cool to see an hour block of Spiderman and TMNT back to back. Besides that, while I don't agree with 4Kids myself, at least they don't virtually ignore their shows on their block like CN does. And I don't believe anyone mentioned that they were better than CN, Nick or Disney Channel

Gryph said:
Licensing a show only involves paying a fee to get the rights and maybe hire VAs/translators if its in another language.

Making your own requires much more money for production, VAs, writers, animators, and other start-up factors.

Okay. I understand what you're saying. I have some understanding of the animation business, but not that much. I do understand the difference here better than before.

Lord Galactus said:
So? That doesn't mean 4Kids should do the same exact thing, because they're not as good as other media firms when it comes to handling 3rd-party properties! Have you ever heard of the possibility of being both unique and innovative?

Somehow, I think you missed my point. What I was trying to say is that they shouldn't be bashed for a practice that is completely common in the animation business. And that would be getting third party properties and outsourcing the animation process. Of course, this might sound a bit odd to you since you appear to enjoy bashing 4Kids, while I honestly don't. They're not my favorite company either, but there seriously aren't that bad. I can't tell with all of their third party properties, but they seem to be treating at least a good portion of them in a decent manner.

Lord Galactus said:
As I've said before, most of their shows are based on licensed IPs rather than their own original IPs!

I understand that, but I don't see why that is such a problem. As I've mentioned, it isn't uncommon for a channel/block/company to have third party properties. While I understand that there is a difference in payment between licensing a show and making your own show, it doesn't strike me as a horrible thing for a company to do to license more shows than make their own. Most companies are striving to make as much money as they can with spending as little money as they possibly can. In my honest opinion, just because 4Kids does this to most likely spend less money doesn't make them horrible, especially when that's the general process for companies to do so.

EroSennin

The Frog Hermit

Now, this may just be the result of the buybacks that 4Kids issued back in late 2007, but it's still a good sign for the company. Let's see if they can keep it up.

They should announce there 1st Quarter results this month and chances are it will be another Net loss and stocks will continue to slide.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
They should announce there 1st Quarter results this month and chances are it will be another Net loss and stocks will continue to slide.

Indeed.

4Kids Entertainment to Report 2008 First Quarter Results on Monday, May 12, 2008

Conference Call to be Broadcast Over the Internet

4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE), a global provider of children’s entertainment and merchandise licensing, today announced it plans to report first quarter results for fiscal 2008 on Monday, May 12, 2008, before the start of market trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Management will host a conference call at 9:00 a.m. ET on Monday, May 12, 2008, to discuss the latest corporate developments and results. The conference call will be broadcast over the Internet as a “live” listen only web cast.

To listen, please go to www.4KidsEntertainment.com or www.kcsa.com/Audio.html approximately twenty minutes before the conference call is scheduled to begin to register as well as download and install any necessary audio software. The web cast will be archived for 30 days.
I also agree that there will probably be a significant net loss this quarter. But at least there's a chance that 4Kids will reveal more of their fall lineup during the conference call.

Draft

Actually, I read somewhere the WB afffiliate is contractually forced to air it next season, maybe another year too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts