Barbie Netflix/YouTube Projects (News And Discussion Thread)

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I do think Dreamhouse Adventures is kind of the image of Barbie that Mattel has been pushing forth. I mean, compare to when the vlogs started in 2015 and were done in a style that I think is motion capture, and mainly existed in their own universe. Jump to 2019, and the animation is changed to be exactly like Dreamhouse Adventures, with elements and characterizations that either started or were solidified in that series fully carrying over to everything since then. I mean, you never saw any of the movies borrowing elements from the YouTube shorts Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse or the more preschool oriented Barbie: Dreamtopia, but starting with Barbie: Princess Adventure, elements and characters from that series would carry over to future projects in some way. Even the non-vlog YouTube shorts done in different styles still use elements and voice actors from that series.
My personal favorite Barbie project/continuity is Life in the Dreamhouse, but I admit that it might have been a little too 'schtick-y' (for lack of a better word) and self-aware (albeit slyly so) to be carried over into any other mainstream continuities.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't particularly like Life In The Dreamhouse (I thought the humor and characters were very lacking ), but even if I did, the nature of the show wouldn't translate well to a show/movie, where humor is more moderated and balanced out.

On an interesting note, I found this forum from the Barbie movies wiki, which basically talks about how Christopher Keenan is using the same strategy used during his time at Warner Brothers Animation (he worked on What's New Scooby Doo, and the movies of the mid 2000s, which he also worked on, took inspiration from that show), and applying it to Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures and its follow ups. The only difference here is that all the movies and shows are in the same continuity, albeit some broad strokes would have to be applied.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
When watching/playing Barbie: Epic Road Trip, one can definitely see that it was developed separately from Barbie: It Takes Two (a series developed by Marsha Griffin, who hadn't worked with the Barbie franchise in 6 years before the show). With the involvement of Ann Austen and Conrad Helten in major roles (writer and co-executive producer for the former and director for the latter), the tone is more in line with their work in Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures and Barbie: Princess Adventure (with the emphasis on positive messages and character conflicts) rather than Barbie: It Takes Two (with the heavier emphasis on humor since they weren't involved with the show). Notably, at the end of It Takes Two, music mogul Otto Phoenix says that he'll look at the demo that The Barbies made and will keep in touch, but he's never mentioned in this movie and we don't know what he thought of it.

There's also the matter of callbacks. More of the specific callbacks are to Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures (a few examples include the Dino Days park from Road Trip, the aliens from from Barbie Brownies And Bears Oh My, and the detective agency that Barbie and Ken had as kids from Time Will Tell, all from the scenic route) with one callback to Barbie And Chelsea The Lost Birthday (the express route leading to Las Vegas shows off DJ Plant Head from that movie). Contrast with Barbie It Takes Two, where the closest thing to callbacks from that show are some posters of Emmie (who debuted in Big City Big Dreams) and incidental characters that look similar to those from that series (like how Rebecca Lee's secretary looks like Pandora, and how there's a Las Vegas magician named Magnifico voiced by Dino Andrade while the Magnifico from the series is a New York magician voiced by Jason Marsden). They allude more to the general premise of the series, but not to specific episodes.

One can partly attribute this to the animation studios involved. While Mainframe Studios has animated the majority of Barbie movies, they didn't animate all of them nor did they animate the earlier TV shows. Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse was animated by Arc Productions (which closed in 2016 and was absorbed into Jam Filled Entertainment), who worked on a few of the mid 2010s movies, but they weren't the main animation studio. Some movies were also animated by Technicolor. Barbie: Dreamtopia was animated by Snowball Studios, which hadn't worked on any other Barbie projects. With Dreamhouse Adventures and the vlogs from 2019 onwards cementing that this is the new direction of the franchise, they would animate every official project, movies, TV shows, and most YouTube content. The movie line actually stopped for 3 years before returning with Princess Adventure, with every project now developed simultaneously. As such, you have creatives split up between them, with series showrunner Ann Austen working on the movies (though she didn't work on Big City Big Dreams) and different people working on the TV show that set up what the current status quo is, but said status quo is given a broad strokes approach for the movie.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The first episode of Barbie: A Touch Of Magic (which came out on Netflix today) is on YouTube. Since Ann Austen is working on the show (working for a Barbie TV show for the first time since Dreamhouse Adventures ended), it's much more in line with what she established in the first series.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So here's an interesting tweet thread from Amber May, who voiced Barbie Brooklyn Roberts in Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams. She recently put out a tweet talking about the Barbie: A Touch Of Magic episode "Skate To Me Barbie", for which she has a story credit. She said quite a few interesting things about the production of the episode. The story was apparently greatly reworked from what she wrote, though the general outline of her idea is still there. Presumably, Daniel Bryan Franklin changed up her ideas in order to better fit the vibe of the show. She also says how Rhonda Rhythm was originally a man named Ronnie Rhythm, who was named after her father who loved to jam with his friends back in the 1970's. She chose roller skating because of how huge it is in the black community. Dom MacKinnon also talked about the episode in the tweet, saying how it was his favorite episode to direct. When timing out the dancing, he used 'September' by Earth, WInd & Fire, and "Boogie Shoes" by KC & the Sunshine Band.

Frontier

Staff member
So here's an interesting tweet thread from Amber May, who voiced Barbie Brooklyn Roberts in Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams. She recently put out a tweet talking about the Barbie: A Touch Of Magic episode "Skate To Me Barbie", for which she has a story credit. She said quite a few interesting things about the production of the episode. The story was apparently greatly reworked from what she wrote, though the general outline of her idea is still there. Presumably, Daniel Bryan Franklin changed up her ideas in order to better fit the vibe of the show. She also says how Rhonda Rhythm was originally a man named Ronnie Rhythm, who was named after her father who loved to jam with his friends back in the 1970's. She chose roller skating because of how huge it is in the black community. Dom MacKinnon also talked about the episode in the tweet, saying how it was his favorite episode to direct. When timing out the dancing, he used 'September' by Earth, WInd & Fire, and "Boogie Shoes" by KC & the Sunshine Band.

That's some pretty neat info :).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

Somehow I missed this. Barbie: Stacie To The Rescue is coming to Netflix on March 14. Kay Donmeyer (who's written for Curious George, Bratz, and LOL! Surprise) is the writer here.

Mandouga

Here’s the strange thing, though. For some reason, the video is “unlisted” (i.e., you need the link to see it on Youtube itself). It’s more than a month away, so why would Mattel have it unlisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here’s the strange thing, though. For some reason, the video is “unlisted” (i.e., you need the link to see it on Youtube itself). It’s more than a month away, so why would Mattel have it unlisted?

My guess is that the trailer is officially meant to be released about 2 weeks before the movie comes out, and it will remain unlisted until then. Generally speaking, trailers and clips for the Netflix Barbie movies usually come out 2 weeks before the official release.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So with having seen Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue, I can definitely say it's good. With the movie being directed by Conrad Helten, it definitely has a lot of moments that harken back to Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures, particularly the "You're Amazing" song. Stacie has the same kind of spunk and energy she always has, and her conflict about trying to find out how she can fit into a place that's either for teenagers or young kids is fitting. She's someone who wants to be taken more seriously and show how she can contribute and stand out amongst the crowd. It's fun, sweet, and enjoyable.

Mandouga

Sure, it’s “fun, sweet, and enjoyable” for the most part, but there is an exception; namely the part where:

She and her friend (forget her name) are punished by being given “KP duty” because they were somehow supposed to be “old enough to know better” than to be at the go-kart track by themselves.

…something the viewer was never told about until just then, after the fact. Mattel knows better than this. They are better than this. They even tried to justify it with a musical number, as well as referencing it in other parts of the movie. (sigh) I know Mattel meant well, but IMO, this has the potential to teach the wrong lesson. Stacie was in an impossible position (from a certain point of view). Was she supposed to make the best of it, or something? In any case, I know it gets better at the end, but still.

In any event, let’s face it. As Aaliyah once said, “age ain’t nothing but a number”. I imagine Stacie plays with Chelsea all the time, and even hangs out with Skipper. Overall, though, I felt that some parts were kind of forced, including the whole “middle sibling” problem, which Stacie usually doesn’t think about. It wasn’t a bad movie, but I do think it could have been better.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
When looking at the original show, the conflict here does make more sense. In season 1 (composed of 26 episodes), Stacie is shown regularly hanging around Skipper (look at episodes like Balancing Act, A Delicate Situation, and Room Swap). Come season 2 (also 26 episodes), and she would regularly hang out with Chelsea (as seen with episodes like The In Crowd, Family Fun And Games, and It Snows In Malibu). However, the one thing you do notice is that Stacie has never been shown hanging out with anyone her own age outside the family. Skipper has her friends Chantal and Navya while Chelsea has Shelby. This movie seems to be the first time she has a friend her own age. The age demographic angle for the movie reminds me of Barbie And Chelsea The Lost Birthday, just swapping out little kids for middle kids. Movies that are written and directed by people who worked on the original show are more fully understood if you have enough knowledge of it.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
That's what I'm talking about. With the movies and shows after Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures taking place in the same continuity (with Barbie Dolphin Magic acting as the pilot movie to that series), it's easy to compare and see what projects capture the spirit of the original show, and which ones don't. When it comes to Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue, the movie is directed by one of the show's regular directors, Conrad Helten. Even though the movie's primary writer (Kay Donmeyer) didn't work on the original show, the additional written material for the movie was done by Margaret Dunlap, another original series writer. Like, the game of Lava done with the puppies dressed as sharks at the beginning of the movie seems like an update of a gag she wrote in "Balancing Act", where Skipper and Stacie used shark puppets against Ken.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
"Season 2" of Barbie A Touch Of Magic comes out April 18. Excluding Barbie Epic Road Trip, every Barbie project since Barbie And Chelsea The Lost Birthday has come out in either the UK or Australia before the US, and this is no exception.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So the remaining 13 episodes of Barbie: A Touch Of Magic dropped on Netflix on April 18. To give my overall thoughts on the show, I think it's good. It's not as good as Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures, but I'll gladly take it over Barbie: It Takes Two. To end this on a positive note, let me talk about my criticisms.

1. Barbie and Ken don't get together. Despite the first half of the show showing their mutual feelings for their each other, it's never brought up during the second half. Ken is more or less sidelined during the second half.

2. "Secret Victory" has both Barbies' parents find out about all the magical adventures they went on, all while trying to keep their cool while still being obviously mad given how they're supposed to be grounded when it's all over. You'd think this would carry to the rest of the show, especially when bringing up how they could help on adventures, but that's not the case. Simone and Kel (the parents of Brooklyn Barbie) don't appear again until the finale. George and Margaret (the parents of Malibu Barbie) get turned into babies in "Baby Steps", and that's their only major role afterwards. Compare this to Polly Pocket 2018, where Polly's parents and older brother found out about the various adventures she's been on with her locket in the season 3 finale. They then join in on her adventures from season 4 onward.

3. The more serialized nature of the show means that, while the episodes are still good, having various plot threads running through each episode means that not all ideas get to shine. Case in point, the Return To Pacifica 2 parter splits its time between being a sequel to Barbie Mermaid Power and following the plot involving the gems. It's good, but feels like more time should be added to it.

4. This is one where it's more a nitpick, but I want to talk about. Daisy having a crush on Ji Soo in the final episode despite them never interacting before feels out of left field. I will at least give it credit in having people being supportive of Daisy and how she feels.

Now for neutral thoughts, which are neither good nor bad. I legitimately thought alicorns were made for My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic, but that's not the case given the involvement of Alo the alicorn. Also, Malibu Barbie says how friendship can be a type of magic, which I guess is an intentional shout-out.

Now for the things that I can call positive.

1. Rocki is still as enjoyable as ever. She has a good arc about trying to be more comfortable with her magic, and her development involving being true to herself feels pretty believable given how she wanted to make something of herself. Alex Cazares definitely delivers in being able to show off her sweet side, her sarcastic side, and her adorkable side.

2. Leo is a character who I find rather interesting. The Key seemed to hint at him being a potential antagonist. Thankfully, he turns out to be a protagonist character given how he's a centaur who just wanted to reunite with his family. He just made a few too many mistakes.

3. Speaking of antagonists, let's talk about Dru Charles. I mean, we already got hints in the later episodes of the first half that she's not as nice as she seems, and now we see why. We find out how she used to live in Mesmer and had her own magic powers, but then got banished when she tried taking the gems. Her motivations in wanting all the magic for herself and not wanting to be seen as crazy help make her a more believable antagonist. All of this is balanced out by Kat Cressida giving a performance that's both hilarious and threatening. Yes, the second voice of Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory voiced an antagonist.

4. While not to the extent that I thought it would, I do like that Brooklyn Barbie's love of acting actually plays a big role here with how she's putting on a school play. It's certainly better than the half baked attempts from Barbie: It Takes Two. The story takes up a good chunk of this second half, being used in various episodes.

And that's all I have. While not perfect, I definitely sense more effort put into the show compared to Barbie It Takes Two. Call me a fan.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

So the next Barbie series, Barbie Mysteries: The Great Horse Chase, is coming in the fall, and it's definitely going to be making some interesting changes. Based on what's mentioned in this fandom thread:

1. Barbie will be voiced by Abby Trott this time instead of America Young.

2. Kirsten Day and Cristina Milizia could be involved as their regular characters, Skipper and Teresa, but there's no guarantee.

3. The animation this time is done by Kickstart Entertainment instead of Mainframe Studios. They previously worked with Mattel on Enchantimals, Deepa And Anoop, and My First Barbie: Happy DreamDay.

4. Seth Kearsley, who previously worked on shows like Family Guy, Phineas And Ferb, Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, DC Superhero Girls 2015, Brown And Friends, and Trollstopia, is showrunner here.

Mandouga

I don't like number four at all.

In A Touch of Magic, as well meaning as they were, I do feel that the moral lesson about being honest with others was forced, and that everything, and I mean everything else was a setup for it.

However, I’m confident that Mattel won't let this Seth go completely crazy like he did on those other shows, and it will still be Barbie in the end…

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Sparklefan1234 wrote on Classic Speedy's profile.
I just saw this on Reddit and instantly thought of you. ;)

Least favourite cartoon?

For me it's Poochini, I dislike the torment that Poochini goes through most of the time.
It's been 17 years and 17 days since the Problem Solverz pilot for Adult Swim (Neon Knome) was made! Even though I do prefer the final product, I think this pilot would make for a good series on [as].
Episode 2 of The Amazing Digital Circus just crossed the 100 million views mark!

I dont know if CNNickFan is a new member or an old one I didnt notice before but I loved their post on Jamie Kellner. A much needed voice of Reason

Featured Posts