Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spider-man Unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-Men Evoloution

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

Cogliostro

Finish it...
I think its Spiderman the show was just wonderful, I grew up with it and loved it, I tried to watch the X-men show when I was younger and never really liked it, it had a lot of space/alien stuff in it and was never played really in order so it confused me and never caught on, X-men Evo is good but Spidey is better IMO.

The Xenos

Creature of the Night
I liked the Spidey toon, but I thought the X-men one was a bit more solid and better done. Of course my number one toon was Batman over in the DC-verse. To me that's in a league of its own.

Oh and I really liked the really different and kinda philisophical Silver Surfer cartoon.

-Xenos

superprime

Real American Hero
It's a close race between Spider-Man and X-men Evolution, but i have to go with Spidey. Both shows hab good character developement and good acting but Evolution didn't get really good until the second season were as Spider-Man remained consistantly good the hole time through.

Chris Wood

Desslar
Some people seem to be complaining that some of these shows suffered from too much continuity. I can't understand this complaint at all, but maybe it's a matter of personal taste. I love long convoluted storylines. 22 minutes just isn't much time to tell a story.

mbaker

1. X-Men Evolution for staying true to the original X-Men concept and successfully doing something different with it while being enjoyable. Out of the current crop of Marvel series, other than Spider-Man Unlimited, this one was least reliant on the comic books. The other shows adapted the comic books to varying degrees, some were more faithful than others, and some were more successful than others, but they contained an element of adaptation nevertheless. It's funny. historically, Marvel cartoons were more likely to adapt the comics than DC cartoons. I think the current DC approach of taking the best elements of the various eras of the comic books and doing something thats faithful, yet new, is the best approach since, despite their similiarities, comic books and animation are two different mediums.

2. Spider-Man: While Spider-Man did get a bit too cosmic for my taste near the end of it's run, It's the only decent Spidy series made so far. But once the Madame Wed stuff started kicking in full speed, it got really...weird. The animation (as well as the CGI) was hit, or miss, and I didn't like how footage from other episodes were used again, and again to save money on production. It was an average series at best. As big a Spidey fan as I am, I never got into the series as much as I wanted. I can't shake those bad memories of the Rocket Racer, the Big Wheel, and The Spot. Still, Mark Hamil (Hobgoblin), and Ed Asner (Jameson) did A good job with their roles.

3. Fantastic Four: The first season was so bad, it made Hanna-Barbera's original FF cartoon look like Disney. (They even used H-B's terrible computer coloring technique from the mid 80's.) The second season was A different story. Season 2 was the best animated interpretation of Lee-Kirby comic books ever, and was what the first season should've looked like.

4. Iron Man: The first season was slightly better than the Fantastic Four's first season, but it still wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It made Challenge of the Superfriends look like Batman:TAS. The second season (Like the FF) improved greatly. The new theme song kicked ass. (I AM IRON MAN!)

5. Incredible Hulk: The first season did A remarkable job at combining elements from the TV show, and the comics. The entire second season was terrible.

6. X-Men: Yeah, a lot of people loved this show but watching it again reminded me of how unwatchable this show is. The pseudo-Clarmont dialogue, the convoluted continuity that couldn't keep itself straight, the constant whining from all the characters, the unnecessary cameos, the need for a reference manual to keep track of whats going on, watered down versions of comic stories taken out of context, the clunky animation, (Made "Pryde Of The X-Men" look like "Evolution".) the impractical character designs, the bad voice acting, need I go on. This show was more of a reaction to the complaints about network interference on Spider Man and His Amazing Friends than an indepedent series. This is a perfect example where less is more needs to apply. It tried to do too much and what we wound up with was a mess of a series. Can this show really be evaluated outside of the popularity of the X-Men and stand on its own as an animated series? I don't think so, outside of the fact that it starred the X-Men, I can't see any reason to watch this show. It really doesn't stand the test of repeated viewings or the test of time.

8. Silver Surfer: A nice combonation of cell animation, and CGI with mixed results. It also stayed faithful to the comics. Unfortunately, Fox pulled the plug on the show before it even had A chance to grow, and find it's audience.

9. Spidr-Man Unlimited: This was A rather weak series. It had it's good points, but also had it's bad points. It also didn't help that it was trying to capitalize on the success of Batman Beyond.

10. The Avengers: The reason for its failure is not just the lack of Captian America, Thor, and Iron Man, it's bad writing pure and simple. Adding those silly armors didn't help either. Mercifully it only lasted thirteen episodes. Bruce Timm said that was exactly why Avengers failed miserably. Which is why "Justice League" was successful. It had the big three DC heroes. Supermen, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Kali

Originally posted by Desslar
Some people seem to be complaining that some of these shows suffered from too much continuity. I can't understand this complaint at all, but maybe it's a matter of personal taste. I love long convoluted storylines. 22 minutes just isn't much time to tell a story.

Yep, I agree with you on that. I adore continuity. :)

Favorite Marvel toons (of the above listed):

X-Men (Fox) - Loved it

X-Men Evo - Good for an alternative reality look at the X-Men

Favorite pre-1992 Marvel Associated Cartoons

Jem
GI Joe
Transformers (I still have one of those decepticon planes in my closet).

I don't remember much about it, but I remember sort of liking the Spidey and Amazing friends (??) cartoon, which co-starred Iceman and Firestar (??)

Chris Wood

Desslar
Originally posted by Kali
Favorite pre-1992 Marvel Associated Cartoons

Jem
GI Joe
Transformers (I still have one of those decepticon planes in my closet).

I don't remember much about it, but I remember sort of liking the Spidey and Amazing friends (??) cartoon, which co-starred Iceman and Firestar (??)

Spider-man and his Amazing Friends was good fun, except for Aunt May's stupid dog. Was that in the comic?

Other good Marvel stuff:
Big Foot and the Muscle Machines
Robotix

Mister Intensity

Originally posted by mbaker
1. X-Men Evolution for staying true to the original X-Men concept and successfully doing something different with it while being enjoyable. Out of the current crop of Marvel series, other than Spider-Man Unlimited, this one was least reliant on the comic books. The other shows adapted the comic books to varying degrees, some were more faithful than others, and some were more successful than others, but they contained an element of adaptation nevertheless. It's funny. historically, Marvel cartoons were more likely to adapt the comics than DC cartoons. I think the current DC approach of taking the best elements of the various eras of the comic books and doing something thats faithful, yet new, is the best approach since, despite their similiarities, comic books and animation are two different mediums.

2. Spider-Man: While Spider-Man did get a bit too cosmic for my taste near the end of it's run, It's the only decent Spidy series made so far. But once the Madame Wed stuff started kicking in full speed, it got really...weird. The animation (as well as the CGI) was hit, or miss, and I didn't like how footage from other episodes were used again, and again to save money on production. It was an average series at best. As big a Spidey fan as I am, I never got into the series as much as I wanted. I can't shake those bad memories of the Rocket Racer, the Big Wheel, and The Spot. Still, Mark Hamil (Hobgoblin), and Ed Asner (Jameson) did A good job with their roles.

3. Fantastic Four: The first season was so bad, it made Hanna-Barbera's original FF cartoon look like Disney. (They even used H-B's terrible computer coloring technique from the mid 80's.) The second season was A different story. Season 2 was the best animated interpretation of Lee-Kirby comic books ever, and was what the first season should've looked like.

4. Iron Man: The first season was slightly better than the Fantastic Four's first season, but it still wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It made Challenge of the Superfriends look like Batman:TAS. The second season (Like the FF) improved greatly. The new theme song kicked ass. (I AM IRON MAN!)

5. Incredible Hulk: The first season did A remarkable job at combining elements from the TV show, and the comics. The entire second season was terrible.

6. X-Men: Yeah, a lot of people loved this show but watching it again reminded me of how unwatchable this show is. The pseudo-Clarmont dialogue, the convoluted continuity that couldn't keep itself straight, the constant whining from all the characters, the unnecessary cameos, the need for a reference manual to keep track of whats going on, watered down versions of comic stories taken out of context, the clunky animation, (Made "Pryde Of The X-Men" look like "Evolution".) the impractical character designs, the bad voice acting, need I go on. This show was more of a reaction to the complaints about network interference on Spider Man and His Amazing Friends than an indepedent series. This is a perfect example where less is more needs to apply. It tried to do too much and what we wound up with was a mess of a series. Can this show really be evaluated outside of the popularity of the X-Men and stand on its own as an animated series? I don't think so, outside of the fact that it starred the X-Men, I can't see any reason to watch this show. It really doesn't stand the test of repeated viewings or the test of time.

8. Silver Surfer: A nice combonation of cell animation, and CGI with mixed results. It also stayed faithful to the comics. Unfortunately, Fox pulled the plug on the show before it even had A chance to grow, and find it's audience.

9. Spidr-Man Unlimited: This was A rather weak series. It had it's good points, but also had it's bad points. It also didn't help that it was trying to capitalize on the success of Batman Beyond.

10. The Avengers: The reason for its failure is not just the lack of Captian America, Thor, and Iron Man, it's bad writing pure and simple. Adding those silly armors didn't help either. Mercifully it only lasted thirteen episodes. Bruce Timm said that was exactly why Avengers failed miserably. Which is why "Justice League" was successful. It had the big three DC heroes. Supermen, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

What do you really think. A good portion of your response was lifted from my response.

Mister Intensity

Brak

Together...Together...TOG ETHER
I'd have to say Spider-Man. The show got a little weird near the end, and it left me hanging. But other then that I grew up on the show, watched it constantly...it was probably my favorite show as a child. I also liked the X-Men cartoon series, but I think as a child I found some of it to weird and confusing. Oh well...

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-man and his Amazing Friends was good fun, except for Aunt May's stupid dog. Was that in the comic?

No, the execs over at wherever would only give the producer the show if Aunt May had a dog. He didn't even care about it being Spider-man if I remember correctly.

Mister Intensity

Originally posted by Frank White
Why does everyone love Spider-Man so much? After the 2nd season it became crap.

You do have a point. The show had a tremendous energy during the first two or three seasons but after that it became too pretentious for its own good.

Mister Intensity

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Why does everyone love Spider-Man so much? After the 2nd season it became crap.

Have to disagree with you there. Season 3 introduced Daredevil, Carnage and brought back Venom all of which can be considered highlights of the season.

Frank White

R.I.P Notorious BIG
Ha, the animation was horrible. I swear, at least 15 minutes of every show was recycled footage. Not only that if I heard "destroy" one more time my ears were going to bleed.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Ha, the animation was horrible. I swear, at least 15 minutes of every show was recycled footage. Not only that if I heard "destroy" one more time my ears were going to bleed.

If you can't enjoy a show because its not allowed to say kill then what animation do you watch?

Parallax

Spider-man would probaly be my favorite if it had a real ending. Instead I think X-Men and X-Men: Evolution just because they love their art and writing.

Frank White

R.I.P Notorious BIG
Originally posted by The Red Bird
If you can't enjoy a show because its not allowed to say kill then what animation do you watch?

Justice League, Batman, Superman, Anime

Storm

Justice League, Batman, Superman, Anime

Oh please those shows that you listed have said "Destroy" plenty of times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts