C&C - Rick and Morty - Season Seven Talkback (Spoilers)

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1701590223108.png

Season 7 Episode 8: Rise of the Numbericons: The Movie

Synopsis: Action! Adventure! It's a whole movie, broh!​

Nobodyman

Return of the element...letter...things.

Man, Sesame Street has gotten really intense.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Some of you may have to re-watch "Get Schwifty."

Or maybe that one episode of Wonder Showzen.

Nobodyman

Eye of Harmony? That's a straight up Doctor Who reference.

Morty's teacher. When was the last time he got a focus episode?

Hah. Back to the Future reference. Never seen that take on it.

Seven is definitely not their lucky number.

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
World under attack, but Morty's still gotta do detention.

Music is math. Learned that from Boards of Canada.

Numbers have always been rational.

Nowadays you'd think he'd be starring in family movies or CSI spinoffs.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

So how do non-English letters fit into all this?

Cock-a-doodle. And they look like...man, what a way to go for that joke.

Seven and T. Would their children be...seventy?

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
He's an 8? I thought he looked more like a 5.

Don't look at it, Marion!

He's an infinity symbol now. That's an 8 sideways.

Hope you don't need to spell anything.

"Infinity's gone mad with power!"
HE'S GONNA EAT THE CHORT! ...you all saw that coming.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Does Morty even need to be here?

He went from eight to infinity. I had a feeling they'd do something like that.

Naturally, this battle between letters and numbers must be resolved with music!

Magma T? Hmm, doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

And he finally finished his homework...poorly.

Ice Cube and Ice T, together at last!

Next week, Rick and Morty go to Norway, the, until recently, number one country on the HDI.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was this the first time Rick wasn't in an episode?

Hope we don't have to wait until season 12 for the next one.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Rise Of The Numbericons: The Movie" - You know how we were complaining earlier this season how super Rick focused everything is and Morty had barely any screen time? Yeah didn't think that would lead to an episode later on Rick didn't appear at all. And you know I will always give props to a show where they don't need one (or even all) the main characters and focus totally on someone else. Spongebob recently was praised for doing that which... like 24/14 seasons in feels ridiculous it took till now but hey better then the Simpsons who haven't EVER managed a feat of fully being absent from an episode. While here yeah it's just Morty of the entire Smith family so you know that is pretty cool. I do also really dig the idea of this one; the whole Water T from Alphabetrium from "Get Schwifty" was such the most random joke and heck random way to end an episode I never thought they would like fully delve into that one ever again. Maybe a cameo or Rick making a joke about how stupid that whole idea was but no, they went ahead and did a full plot about it which feels like a big love letter to Star Wars but the GI Joe and Transformers 80's movies mixed also with this past involving bringing in Mr. Goldenfold and tying him all to this and is this really big out there swing. And there are jokes that work such as Morty noticing they are speed running through the tropes of the scribbles worshiping Water T or how P keeps trying to force in pee jokes even wanting to go before the ending battle just to make one when they get there or even some ideas like the Bracket Shield and S being 8 being the Infinite Symbol as the big bad and the tag using Chuck D. Oh and Water T using his Ice T "not caring" just to freeze off the cuffs and break them before turning back was a good bit to so this one did have it but... man did I not care about a lot of what was happening here overall and this is like one joke really stretched out that doesn't work.

The thing is that though Rick and Morty has always been about these gigantic parody adventures mocking various tropes, you still had the characters involved in the story either ripping on the idea or going through their own character journeys to make it less cliche. Again much as I praise the idea of this being a Rick free episode... the reason R&M works so well is usually because of Rick who is this chaotic element really spotlight the stupidity of the trope or having the best wry observations about what's happening and helping switch up the formula some. This though totally removed him so you're mostly stuck with a lot of stock character types where the main joke is "it's the Hero's journey of this war but it's about letters and numbers." Which feels like an idea who if un commented on would work for a few minutes but this just goes on the entire episode. And as amusing as Water T was in "Get Schwifty" that's also because he was a supporting character not the star who has to go through this story realizing the conneciton with numbers and apologizing to Mr. Goldenfold and like... it's not interesting at all and the absurd idea of it stretched thin by the time he and 7 were making out. Maybe if they involved some of the other family we could care about and observe in the action to discredit it even if it wasn't Rick like Summer or Beth it might work but though Morty offers solid support he again is just background observing and not even offering a lot of super cutting wit to this. They also severly overestimated the idea Goldenfold can carry an episode. I kind of thought the whole point of him always excusing Morty was due to being incepted in "Lawnmower Dogs" he would always think he could just give Morty high grades whenever just so he wouldn't be held in detention but seems they forgot that because yeah we really needed to know about him seemingly failing to reach Ice I and that prevented him from being a part of Curtis's cabinet (oh hey this does hold true to something I observed last season; President Curtis is a character who best works attached to ONE episode per season not two or more) so they had a fall out and... yeah sorry there's a reason why these characters usually aren't attached to the more out there adventures or at least are like more seen in the background of it and this episode just really proves that point.

Again this isn't awful and props to committing to the bit but... man did it not warrant a full episode and is one of the weaker of this season. Which again so far has had only 2 real gems of epsiodes; the super story one and the out there one with a bunch of zany scenarios they knew worked due to only giving them like a minute or two of focus not an entire episode's length.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1702189863716.png

Season 7 Episode 9: Mort Ragnarick

Synopsis: Heaven is for real, broh. I saw it, broh, I swear.​

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Even in the next life Jerry's annoying people.

I don't think there's room in heaven for two gods.

Not Operation Phoenix again.

Nobodyman

Bigfoot's a Pokemon! But what type is he? Normal? Fighting?

Valhalla. Well, I guess it makes sense Rick would only want to go to an afterlife that thrives on conflict.

Bigfoot's got brawn and brains.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
So die, go to the afterlife, and loot their stuff.

He's not just burying him to eat later, I hope.

Piss and Dragon Balls. Not surprising since death is no big deal on this show.

"We work for the man upstairs?"
Uh, you're on a mission from God? Since you both have suits and shades?

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts