Candy Land Film Being Planned

Mandouga

@Bonnie: If by all that, you mean it might be the tribute/parody I mentioned in my OP, it might be, it might not. Adam Sandler, huh? It might (or might not) even turn out to be another Land of the Lost (which ironically was released by Universal). Still, we'll see...

BonnieB21:-)

Sugar Rushing To Candyland, Candyfornia

I thought about Will Ferrell's "Land Of The Lost" when I posted about Candyland. I remember LOFTL and his movie was nothing like it. You don't have to treat a property completely seriously, but it shouldn't be just a premise for Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler to do a bunch of sketches to.

This website pretty much has the idea Adam Sandler's Candlyand cast done.

http://splitsider.com/2012/01/some-casting-predictions-for-adam-sandlers-candy-land

Lord Licorice: Adam Sandler
Princess Lolly: Drew Barrymore
Queen Frostine: Anna Faris
Mr. Mint: Chris Rock
Plumpy: David Spade
Gloppy the Molasses Monster: Kevin Nealon
King Kandy: Kevin James
Jolly: Rob Schneider
Gramma Nutt: Adam Sandler in drag

Too bad Chris Farley's dead he'd be the perfect Gloppy the Molasses Monster. Maybe they can pull a "Nat King Cole" and Unforgettable him into the movie.

I just can't resist posting this picture of Sugar Rush from Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph". Sugar Rush is the go-kart racing game segment from the movie. It is "Mario Kart In A World Made of Candy". And Katy Perry's Candyfornia.

Sugar_Rush-Ralph_810.jpg

01~117.jpg

CyclonatorZ

Let this be a lesson to future generations: this is what happens when the world pays a toy company nearly three billion dollars to watch giant transforming action figures beat each other up on the big screen. Hasbro now thinks they can make a commerically sucessful movie out of anything - and sadly, they're probably right. :ack:

"It's sad, the things some people would rather have than money." --Garfield

I need to find the strip where he says this; there have been a lot of instances where I could have posted the panel.

I hope you can, because I haven't seen a Garfield strip that was actually witty in ages. :p

spartanx54

Hollywood must be losing ideas. Adapting board games now? YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Okay everyone remember that Robot Chicken sketch that showed what happened when they took board games and turned them into movies? Yeah I bet everyone who saw and remembered that groaned in frustration when it turned out they were doing that with Battleship. And are probably doing the same thing with this. ALso I'm reminded of the Katy Perry California GIrls video as well as honestly for some reason I sort of picture a more family friendly, 90 minute version of that. Still though here's my question: when are we going to get the Hungry Hungry Hippos Detective Team Movie? Seriously Hollywood get on that if you're making a Candyland movie. At least it's an idea so ridicolous that it actually looks kind of intereting compared to well... whatever they're trying to do with this property.

Candyland Movie Threatened In Lawsuit

On Wednesday, Landmark Entertainment Group, which developed popular features in the Candy Land board game, filed a lawsuit against Hasbro, contending that the toy company doesn't have the right to license Sony's Columbia Pictures to make a film based on Candy Land characters and environments.
It was announced in January, 2012, that Columbia Pictures would be developing a live-action film based on the game that would be directed by Kevin Lima(Enchanted) and starring Adam Sandler. At the time, Columbia Pictures president Doug Belgradsaid, "Candy Land is more than just a game."
PHOTOS 'Transformers,' 'Battleship' and 'Barbie': The Highs and Lows of Toy-Inspired Movies

Now, Landmark has come forward in California federal court in an action that could threaten the film.
The Candy Land game has been around since the mid-1940s, but according to Landmark's lawsuit, it was bereft of characters besides a "generic boy and girl" prior to 1984. That year, the game was "completely revamped," and Landmark takes credit for creating original artwork, storylines and characters like King Kandy, Lord Licorice and Princess Lolly of the Lollypop Woods. The plaintiff says it licensed the works to Milton Bradley, a toy company that would later be acquired by Hasbro. According to the complaint, Landmark received $50,000 and future royalties.

Then, reports began circulating about the Candy Land feature film. "Hasbro had not reported this fact to Landmark, nor sought authorization to make such a film, despite the fact that the License Agreement did not give Hasbro the right to use Landmark’s works in this way," states the complaint.
Landmark says it investigated further, discovering other alleged ways that Hasbro had used Candy Land characters without accounting for sales. The plaintiff reports that it put Hasbro on notice last September.

"In response, Hasbro’s counsel took the position that Hasbro owned the subject Works as works made-for-hire, and refused to provide a complete and accurate accounting, pay royalties due, or confirm its obligation to seek Landmark’s authorization to create a feature film based upon Landmark’s copyrighted Works," continues the complaint.

Landmark is now seeking a declaratory judgment that it is the owner of various Candy Land characters and artwork and that its agreement "is limited to toys, and thus does not extend to animated or live action films, handheld electronic games, or DVD-based video games."

As part of the requested relief, Landmark seeks an injunction against the infringing of its copyrights. The plaintiff is represented by Sheldon Eisenberg at Drinker Biddle & Reath.
Hasbro and Sony declined to comment.

Interestingly, the lawsuit comes just as Hasbro is prepared to go to trial over rights to another one of its popular board game properties being turned into a film -- Dungeons & Dragons.
Hasbro, which licensed a D&D film to Universal, is up against Sweetpea Entertainment, which possibly licensed a D&D film to Warner Bros. Recently, the parties told the judge that they couldn't come to a settlement, leading the judge to set a trial date in September.

This past February, the judge in that case issued a summary judgment ruling that was originally under seal but has now become public. The 28-page decision is a worthy read. Among other things, the judge ruled that it is a triable issue as to whether Sweetpea committed contributory copyright infringement in its dealings with Warner Bros. The D&D film project might have been halted as a result of the lawsuit, but the judge rather extraordinarily decided that a preliminary script — not a final film, not even a final script — could form the basis of copyright infringement. The judge also ruled that Warner Bros. (not a party) might have been liable for violating Hasbro's copyrights and trademarks, and so it should be left to a jury to determine whether Sweetpea encouraged the development of infringing work.

Sweetpea, which made an agreement with Hasbro in 1994 and produced a D&D film in 2000, believes it maintained the contractual right to license D&D. For purposes of summary judgment, though, the judge assumed it hadn't the right, but hasn't yet made a determination about this.

So now we know what's holding up both a Candyland movie and possibly a Candyland cartoon too. And what's going on with D&D. The fact that Marvel/Disney owns the D&D cartoon doesn't help either.

Sony's Adam Sandler Candy Land Film Threatened In Lawsuit (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

Mandouga

There's just one problem with Landmark's* complaint. An animated Candy Land movie had been previously released direct-to-video...

*They were also the de facto creators of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. They were also involved in the design of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Their Shells" tour that was based (mostly) on the original 1987 TV series.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Truth be told, as long as the character of Frostine is depicted as a queen in the film (as she was originally and should be) and is not remade into a princess, I don't much care.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
This movie should not even be made if that hack Adam Sandler is in it - FACT. He ruined Hotel Transylvania, which would have been actually OK without his trash humor in it (ALSO FACT!).

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
This movie should not even be made if that hack Adam Sandler is in it - FACT. He ruined Hotel Transylvania, which would have been actually OK without his trash humor in it (ALSO FACT!).
No, that's just an opinion and there's no need to shout. It's not like this is the Hunger Games or something :p

There's just one problem with Landmark's* complaint. An animated Candy Land movie had been previously released direct-to-video...

*They were also the de facto creators of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. They were also involved in the design of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Their Shells" tour that was based (mostly) on the original 1987 TV series.

Yes, Landmark didn't say a thing when the Great Lollipop Adventure came out. And this movie has been in the works since 2009- it wasn't until a big star like Adam Sandler became involved that LEG smelled a cash payout. They weren't interested when the movie was the Lord of the Ring-Pop, This is another thing that could hold up a Unit-E comic.

And Goldstar Neo, it might not even matter whether Frostine is a queen or a princess; Hasbro might evict all the Candyland residents and give them Expy names:sad:. They don't have a good track record for treating any of their film characters well- be it Duke, Scarlett, Flint, Lady Jaye, or Eric Raymond:mad:. That Adam Sandler's involved is proof of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Huh, this old board game is getting a movie? Considering Battleship got a movie, I guess Candy Land getting a movie isn't as unlikely as I thought. Now I'm thinking how Candy Crush Saga would be like as a movie.

Truth be told, as long as the character of Frostine is depicted as a queen in the film (as she was originally and should be) and is not remade into a princess, I don't much care.

I'd like her to be a queen as well, not just because queens need more respect in the media, but also because Queen Frostine is a nice rhyme. Princess Frostine doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

I also would prefer if Queen Frostine and Princess Lolly are not unnecessarily prettified like they were in the 2013 rerelease of the board game. They looked like Barbie dolls that version.

CyclonatorZ

I don't really think there's a legitimate reason for this film to be made in the first place, Adam Sandler or not.

Caramelaw's Redesigns

Here you can read Landmark's court document claim.

Candy Land

59ff69c1ebe65c0e0125d3634030286a.jpg

Caramelaw did the artwork for the 2013 reboot.

380514fbe9e4a9ca5d418aa21fa0c514.jpg

b8397938e9643ac73468c96a24ebfd87.jpg

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Candyland-Game-Board-Design-for-HASBRO/10841983

https://www.behance.net/gallery/11475803/Candy-Land-Refresh

Almost all the characters are radically different from their Landmark designs (especially Mr. Mint). Lolly's now an adult or teen, Lord Licorice's a pirate, and Queen Frostine's a princess. Perhaps these most recent changes came because of the lawsuit. Though I think Lolly looks closer in age to her Unit-E comic version.

Here's some old news for you:

Candyland was a part of the Sony email hack. Specifically about Sony/Amy Pascal hating Adam Sandler.

A distressed and apologetic email dated Sept. 23 of this year from Hannah Minghella, co-president of production for Columbia Pictures, to Pascal and other execs details her frustrations with Team Sandler over a Candyland meeting gone terribly awry—with Sandler allegedly cornering studio execs and demanding that they green-light the $200 million film project on the spot.

“Adam is an asshile [sic] and this is more his fault than anyone’s but what we did was not communicate with each other and make assumptions maybe I didn’t pay attention when you were telling me what I was walking into but it also comes from a non alien meant between us all and too many people doing everything and no one taking responsibility and I mean myself as it is my responsibility to let you guys know what I want to breath [sic] life into,” replied Pascal.

Doug Belgrad, president of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s motion picture group, also weighs in on the chain to Pascal, clearing Minghella of any blame and placing it more on Sandler’s own issues with his fading star power.

“On Candyland, [Minghella] was just servicing Adam,” wrote Belgrad. “You knew from when Venit called you last week and what I told you that it was all a zhiv, but Sandler is so on guard for it, there was no chance to pull that off. You said yourself that Adam was gonna be angry and you said you didn’t care you couldn’t fix what was really bothering him that he isn’t the guy he once was and nobody can make that better for him.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/19/sony-hates-adam-sandler-as-much-as-you-do.html

Just for reference, at $200 million, Candy Land would tie Titanic, Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man 3 as the 22nd most expensive film ever made. Perhaps more troublingly, however, it would still be $9 million cheaper than 2012 board game to big screen adaptation Battleship.

http://gawker.com/leaked-*******-adam-sandler-demanded-200-million-ca-1673559291

After being stuck in the Molasses Swamp for years, Adam Sandler’s long-gestating CANDY LAND movie is now starting from scratch at Warner Bros. The adaptation of the beloved board game, created by Eleanor Abbott and first published by Milton Bradley in 1949, was previously in development at Sony, and Universal before that. Though finer plot details are being kept under lock and key, the Happy Madison Productions/Allspark Pictures joint production will follow Sandler and his family navigating through the confectionery kingdom in order to return home, tonally in the vein of Sandler’s Bedtime Stories.

The comedic action/adventure was co-written by Sandler and Robert Smigel, who took over after a slew of other scribes. Enchanted helmer Kevin Lima was attached to direct, though I’m now told that he’s likely falling off. Sandler will produce with Heather Parry under his banner, while Brian Goldner and Bennett Schneir will produce for Hasbro’s Allspark, with Josh Feldman overseeing.

The move’s a bad omen for the rocky Sandler/Sony partnership, which has become tepid following several under-performing releases and leaked emails from Sony execs trashing the former SNL star. Together, they’ll next release the Chris Columbus comedy Pixels, which sees Sandler and friends fending off Alien attack in the form of old-school arcade games. The flick bows on July 24, 2015, with Kevin James, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage, and Michelle Monaghan starring.

Just as the quest to rescue King Kandy in the Candy Land game is filled with obstacles, so have been any attempts to bring the adventure to the big screen. Initially set up at Universal and called CandyLand(notice the absence of a space), the project was set with Men In Black 3 scribe Etan Cohen and centered on a group of people entering an enchanted board game.

Chris Morgan rewrote Cohen’s script before it went to Kung Fu Pandaduo Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, who envisioned a new approach for an all-ages action/comedy more in the vein of a Lord of The Rings-style fantasy/adventure.

Following the massive failure of Universal’s dud Battleship, the project was scooped up in 2012 by Sandler and Sony. Now here we are, with Sandler and Warner taking their best shot at bringing to life the incredible story of Lord Licorice, Princess Lolly, and Gloppy the Molasses Monster.

Sandler is currently in production on comedy/western The Ridiculous Six, which will be the first release of the four-movie deal Netflix signed with him in October. Come fall, he’ll release Sony’s animated horror/comedy sequelHotel Transylvania 2.

Allspark will next release Blumhouse’s teen musical/comedy Jem and the Holograms and is in development on a sequel to 2014’s horror hit Ouija and Paramount’s forthcoming swarm of Transformers sequels.

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-ex...ay-adam-sandlers-candyland-game-over-at-sony/

There's still the lawsuit over the character names that hasn't been resolved yet. But my excitement for this project died when the Tropic Thunder/Kung Fu Panda writers left. I really wanted to see Kevin Lima's vision. Plus Adam Sandler = travesty. I have to wonder, why is he so hot to do a Candyland movie? Sure, everybody wants a piece of that sweet billion dollar Hasbro merchandising pie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts