"Captain Marvel" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 36.4%

• **1/2

Votes: 1 9.1%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

the greenman

We'll just agree to disagree. I felt alot of people agreed with me. I play devil's advocate and say the Kree blood made her an emotionless "fembot". Fine. However, at the end of the day we KNOW who Tony Stark is, we KNOW Loki, we KNOW Dr. Strange. . . I can't say that about this incarnation of Carol Danvers.

If we're talking be what you want be, I felt that was lost translation. I believe the only message was she is a woman and she's going to fight just as hard if not better than a man. Okay, got that message 25 years ago in G.I. Jane (and honestly much better told through the great Ridley Scott). I really didn't need a story relegated to that message at all. Knowing next to nothing about Ms. Marvel or Carol Danvers, I kinda wanted a woman who wanted to push on after Daddy said "get-up". Maybe I'm wrong.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I guess we'll have to disagree outright. I'll say I thought it was Yon-Rogg trying to mold her into a mindless soldier.

reflection01

We will learn more about Captain Marvel in a few weeks. Be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, I had no idea about any controversy ahead of time. Brie Larson's comments were true and awesome. I guess that rubbed people the wrong way but there's nothing controversial in the movie at all. And all of the complaints that she should have smiled more in the trailer are nonsense. I didn't hear people saying the same thing about Superman and Batman in their recent movies. What on Earth COULD the difference be? All it boils down to is fanboys patting Brie Larson on the head and telling her if she smiled she'd look prettier. That's all that complaint is.

Captain Marvel

I'm not gonna act like that was the best superhero movie ever. But I also didn't find too much wrong with it once it got going, and it was enjoyable. It was better than Aquaman at any rate, if not Wonder Woman.

I found the beginning confusing. I suppose it was supposed to be since the Kree DID turn out to be the bad guys after all, but I didn't understand what was happening, why Captain Marvel was with them, or why we should be rooting for them. It's only when we get to Earth and Fury and Coulson that I started enjoying the movie.

The Skrulls as good guys? I can dig that idea for some reason. Although their superpower is the very thing that makes them bad guys. It's hard to wrap my head around a species that can do that specific thing being on the side on angels.

On the other hand, once Carol switched sides, I forgot we had that as an advantage now, and that's how Fury is able to escape at a crucial moment near the end.

I love Carol confiscating Fury's "communicator". He's lost his pager privileges.

Speaking of Pulp Fiction, was that the first F bomb in a Marvel Disney film? I recall the first Spider-Man almost had one in the last scene but it was cut off. I don't see them playing that scene at the Magic Kingdom.

Speaking of that scene, props to all of the online fans who speculated Fury lost the eye due to a cat scratch from Goose. Some people even correctly predicted Jackson would release a mother f-bomb upon the injury. Don't for one second think this means Marvel films are predictable. It's just that they tend to actually give us what we want.

I love the main Skrull guy. He actually struck me as quite funny and charming in a droll way which is not how I ever predicted I'd describe a Skrull before this movie.

I like that ultimately the message is that she has nothing to prove to her mentor and his questionable lessons. Which is the correct moral.

Love the Marvel Studios logo dedication to Stan Lee at the beginning. The Man deserved it.

Fun movie. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm pretty sure he said "Mother flerken" not the f bomb. It's a bit of a running joke in the MCU movies with how close they can get to him saying it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm pretty sure he said "Mother flerken" not the f bomb. It's a bit of a running joke in the MCU movies with how close they can get to him saying it.
Interesting. They could probably get away with it in a PG-13 movie. I think the rule is you are allowed to say it once.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Interesting. They could probably get away with it in a PG-13 movie. I think the rule is you are allowed to say it once.
Yep, that's correct. But I don't know if they would be allowed in this case with them being under the Disney umbrella.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Boy, Deadpool's gonna be a lot of fun at Disney.
Yeah, that's going to be interesting. I've heard he's appeared in animated series so it could be along the lines of that. But I doubt these MCU movies will ever drop the F bomb.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Boy, Deadpool's gonna be a lot of fun at Disney.

Well Marvel has made it clear that they know Deadpool's popularity is because of the R rating so in his own movies he'll likely still have it. In other movies since I suspect DP will pop up in other super hero movies they'll keep him PG-13 but play around with it by like him being aware he can't say certain words so makes jokes about that.

Also though you are allowed one f bomb per movie I think "mother f'er" is considered a much harsher version of the f bomb that warrants a harsher rating even if uttered once. Plus IMHO I think it's funnier if they find funny aways of avoiding him saying it like having it be cut off or replaced with another word. Since cursing by itself isn't really funny on it's own but how it's delivered or the context makes it work and knowing what he usually says and not having him say it like that IMHO makes it funnier then if Nick Fuy just went around calling everyone stupid MFers or something.

Dudley

Staff member
Saw it the other day, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I think I started enjoying it the most when they landed on Earth, and I enjoyed the chemistry Carol had with Nick Fury. I don’t hate that the Skrulls we saw here were good, but I hope we can still have a Secret Invasion storyline in the future for an Avengers movie.

reflection01

Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel and made $4 billion last year on three films. Good chance they’ll make more this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
5/8/19: Digital release is May 28 and 4K/Blu-ray/DVD release is June 11.

5/9: Special features revealed.

6/4: Victoria Alonso confirmed Patrick Brennan was playing Marcus Daniels in the movie. When Carol and Fury talked in the bar, Brennan portrayed a bartender. And it fits. On his file seen in AOS, it said his education included a science degree in physics from a university between 1990 and 1996. Probably bartending to help pay for tuition and other bills. So we now know he graduated between 1995 and 1996 and went to school in California probably.

6/4/22: DeWanda Wise talks about why she was recast.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts