Cartoon Network Website Shut Down

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
cartoonnetwork.ru already got shut down a while back because of Ukraine, but all of the other EMEA Cartoon Network websites are still up (including cartoonnetwork.es, despite Cartoon Network Spain not having existed in over a decade now)!

I don't know if any of the Asia-Pacific websites are still alive, though several of them redirect to EMEA websites for me.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
I don't know if any of the Asia-Pacific websites are still alive, though several of them redirect to EMEA websites for me.
For me, the Australian one redirects to cartoonnetworkeurope.com, while the others give a 502 Bad Gateway error.

I wish Europe had the APAC design if not for the fact that RYW was only a campaign here. Taken from the Wayback Machine. (Error on the show buttons: instead of burgundy, purple is used on the colored border.
Screenshot_20240811_090452_Chrome.jpg

RegularCapital

Staff member
I personally believe the EMEA websites are safe, FOR NOW

They still have website stunts like Redraw your world and Climate Change awareness stuff

Plus, there's no Max in many countries such as Germany, the UK and Italy
Probably they're working for a way to redistribute their channel promotions, but probably not for now
Can't exactly have a Watch and Win competition without a website. CN in EMEA maintained the importance of having an online presence.

Cartoon Network USA's support page is still operational for TV channel viewers and users of the app.

BlooCNBoy02

On another note, while getting stuff for that article, I noticed the wayback machine actually captured it the day it shut down before the redirects started. Here's how it looked when it went down:
The time at the link is on GMT. So it's captured on 8 August at 12:37 AM GMT/01:37 AM CET, corresponding to the previous day's 07:37 PM Eastern USA time.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The time at the link is on GMT. So it's captured on 8 August at 12:37 AM GMT/01:37 AM CET, corresponding to the previous day's 07:37 PM Eastern USA time.
Ah, did not know that. I assumed since Internet Archived is U.S. based that it would be using U.S. times.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I don't want to sound mean or something, but, the times where children's channels have websites kinda "faded" long ago.

For example, kids nowadays don't really play games on computers anymore, especially online ones despite the fact that they are easier to access. Nowadays kids usually play games like Roblox, Brawl Stars, and many other mobile games. CN also has some games in Play Store, so... yes. I don't wanna say that they can't be played on mobile but it's a little more harder.

Videos? Well, CN now has a lot of channels on YouTube where they post videos.

There was a different story 20 years ago, when there weren't smartphones, YouTube didn't exist, and people probably learned how to use a computer back then.

I know I'm gonna get off-topic, but, compare how Fox Kids and Jetix sites looked back in the 2000s and how the Disney ones look now (at least here in Europe).

It's indeed sad that the CN site did shut down, but unfortunately, this will likely continue with merging other websites or even shutting others.
How I miss those pre-smartphone days. Among my favorites was the Boulder Dash clone Dexter's Labyrinth and Trick-or-Treat Beat, and strangely enough my dad played Brick It!, the Breakout game with monket characters. Many years later i discovered that the game was a tie-in to some special weekend CN USA had (S.T.A.T. did the same for KND Mission Weekend)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Okay, now I'm unable to access cartoonnetwork.ru, but the first day of the CN website being shut down I was able to, so that's strange. (I'm not in Russia either, I'm in Portugal)
We're in the same country. I did the .ru test and by clicking Advanced it redirected to the EMEA website index. Clicking on Russia will give you an error message from the browser.

imflamey

We're in the same country. I did the .ru test and by clicking Advanced it redirected to the EMEA website index. Clicking on Russia will give you an error message from the browser.
I think I might have put it in .bg or something and misremembered it. Since what you said is exactly what's happening to me now.

BlooCNBoy02

Every single website around the world will follow suit. :(
According to the latest news that RC posted on the international CN thread, it translates (via Chrome) as follows:
"The official cartoonnetwork.com website will be closed in the coming period, as well as the websites in the countries where the brand is present. The decision was taken globally following analyzes that indicated that the website is no longer an effective communication tool," noted Warner Bros. Discovery Romania in a statement sent to HotNews.ro on Tuesday.

JMTV

Tater Tot!

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I'm a little late with this post, but this kind of news is pretty shocking since all major entertainment brands are obligated to have a website. At least, that was the convention. But I suppose this might not be a huge surprise in the grand scheme of things.

I personally haven't visited the website in over a decade, and why would I need to visit it? Aside from the fact that I didn't have the channel for about that long, what was there to do on it? Watch episodes? Limited selection that needed your cable service information anyways. And this isn't getting into streaming. Read about the shows? Very limited and minimal information. Play browser games? I admittedly did plenty of them on different websites as a kid (and have fond memories of doing so) since my parents didn't like buying consoles or video games, but kids nowadays (and even about a decade ago) play mobile games (and have higher budgets) which I see pretty often. It doesn't help that their games got taken down over time. Look up schedules? I guess that could be useful, and I'm sure the CN app has that info, though I admittedly don't have the app. But that's not exactly enough of a reason to keep an entire website based on the channel.

Taking down the website wasn't wrong if it wasn't getting much traffic, but it does feel like a major piece of history is gone. Then again, the CN website has been losing stuff overtime because the channel didn't air certain shows anymore, but that's not quite on the scale of taking down the entire website.

Spotlight

Members online

No members online now.

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What happened to all our posts from yesterday?
Ok, this was all related to the latest server migration. In addition to not being able to post, I can't log out either well by deleting cookies you can.
Yojimbo wrote on Zedd's profile.
can not post, get this error message (but can post on people's profiles and post status updates)
Forum is back but I (and I assume everyone) can not make a post.
I would love to know what anime are popular in Serbia

Featured Posts