Cartoons with actual finales

Beat

Retired
And no, not every transformers animated series has had an ending. Transformers Zone ended up getting canned and only the first episode (out of an unknown amount) was released, leaving it unresolved. The same happened with Transformers: Beast Wars II Neo, which just leaves you on a cliffhanger ending. Both are japanese produced, but are still relevent.

No, Neo had a proper ending. Magmatron and Big Convoy stop Unicron's resurrection via Cybertron and finally end the Maximal/Predacon war.

Uh wasn't he taken back by Larry and Tuddrussel and that spelling kid was put in the orphanage so things returned to normal in the end? That's how I remember the last episode airing so yeah he is with the others in the very end so that show is open ended.

That's sort of true but not only are a lot of story driven shows never totally finished but also sometimes the executives want them to end on a more open ended note. You know so that they can always come back to it or that they can air the episodes out of order in syndication easier. Dosen't happen as much nowadays but it happens now.

Thinking about it, Justice League Unlimited and Teen Titans also had two endings each. The original Ender for TT Was "The End" trilogy (really when your title says the end dosen't that mean the end) where Raven and the others defeat Trigion and finally help save the world. But another season was ordered so now the ending is Beast Boy having to accept that things (Like Terra being a normal kid) have changed but he has to continue on fighting evil. Justice League Unlimited's "Epligoue" (once again Finale sounding) Managed to tie together Batman Beyond with the rest of the JL continuity quite well and have a nice focus on the legacy of Batman. However another season was ordered after that so the true JLU ending "Destroyer" just has the heroes going after the villians as Wonder Woman says "and the adventure continues" as every JLer runs at the screen (Batman being the last one since he was the start and I guess had to be the end of the DCAU).

That JLU ending was great but I highly doubt that that was the end of the DCAU. With all the new shows the Marvel Animated Universe has coming I'm pretty sure proper DCAU shows are being developed. We may get a proper new Superman or Batman animated series in the DCAU in the coming years for all we know.

Nygma

Kim Possible has two actual Finales.
Except the first was a well conceived finale that was actually honest and well written.
The other was flawed a poorly written lie, that pretends to have a happy ending even though the writing contradicts it.

Or because JLU Batman was always somewhat of a Gary Stu...:sweat:

OR BECAUSE Batman was the first to be created in the Timmverse so he should be the last thing seen.

Honestly the more people use these terms Mary Sue/Gary Stu. The more ridiculously exagerated they become. If Batman were a Gary Stu he would've defeated Darkseid illogically.

Now back on topic, I always feel that the ending to X-Men Evolution is how you end a show. Going out strong with our heroes defeating an epic threat. And at the end, giving us a glimpse of the future, to leave us wanting more.
In the end, that's what all finales should aim to do.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
The last eps were a 2 parter called "King Igthorn", and if I remember them right, they saved Dunwynn, Zummi let the great Gummis know it was unsafe to return after they initially thought it was with Igthorn gone for a year. I'm not sure if that would count.

If I remember it right, they finally let the King in on the Gummi's existence, and they had to either rebuild Gummi Glen or had to move elsehwere. I haven't seen it since like 1990, so I can't remember it properly. I just know it's one of the few DA era shows that got a proper ending.

ChibiGoku

Something Not Quite Right
No, Neo had a proper ending. Magmatron and Big Convoy stop Unicron's resurrection via Cybertron and finally end the Maximal/Predacon war.

Ah, guess you're right. I rememebred the last episode wrong, it seems. :sweat:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Old School Toon said:
That JLU ending was great but I highly doubt that that was the end of the DCAU. With all the new shows the Marvel Animated Universe has coming I'm pretty sure proper DCAU shows are being developed. We may get a proper new Superman or Batman animated series in the DCAU in the coming years for all we know.

Anything's possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't bet danger money on that.

Justice League Unlimited ended in 2006; if there were any future DCAU projects in development, I think we would've heard something by now.

We're already getting new DC animated projects down the pike (CN's Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the new Wonder Woman DTV, etc.), but the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini produced DCAU proper is over and done with. This is something that fans are just going to have to accept.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Mighty Max famously has the pro-repeat resolution. Basically, everything goes to hell and Skullmaster gets the cap (which transforms into a crown, possibly it's true form). As he enters the last stages of his plan, Max intervenes and creates a time loop which returns him to the start of his adventures, only he, Virgil and Norman remember everything. So you can take it that next time round they win or that Max is stuck in a never ending time loop as the only way to protect the world.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Here's an example for you: Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! Its creator, Ciro Nieli, stated there were supposed to be five seasons made of around 13 episodes each. That show ended at the fourth season, so the last episode there is indeed a "finale" but not the true finale envisioned by its creator.
SRMTHFG! not only did not get its intended finale, it ended on a horrible cliffhanger that was supposed to set up the story arc for the fifth and final season. For what I understand, the original plan was 65 episodes from the get-go (which is why every season ends on a cliffhanger), but after the first 52 episodes had already gone into production, Disney ended up cancelling the series abruptly. I'm guessing the show didn't snatch a big enough fanbase, despite being pretty fun to watch.

But I'll admit, I'm surprised with all the dark and disturbing stuff the show ocassionally got away with. It didn't feel much like something you'd expect from Disney.

Umino

Honey Flash?
No one mentioned Courage the Cowardly Dog? The last episode was split into two parts, both very fitting as a finale. The first part dealt with Courage's past, and what happened to his parents. The second part is about an old woman "haunting" Courage, and teaching him to be perfect. The series ends with Courage, Muriel, and Eustance all eating dinner with their "imperfections".

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, honestly... Disney didn't want to see a dragon actually get slain by a dragon slayer. :sweat:

True, but that's not why I didn't like the finale. There was just too much ground to cover in just half an hour. Jake's grandpa was captured pretty quickly, we didn't have a good buildup to Rose remembering Jake and Jake and Rose's future together was left too unclear for me. Plus, we never did see what happened to Rose's twin sister. I think a lot of that, if not all of it, could have been covered, or at least had better treatment, if the finale was given an hour or an hour and a half, like with Kim Possible's movie So the Drama.

Umino said:
No one mentioned Courage the Cowardly Dog? The last episode was split into two parts, both very fitting as a finale. The first part dealt with Courage's past, and what happened to his parents. The second part is about an old woman "haunting" Courage, and teaching him to be perfect. The series ends with Courage, Muriel, and Eustance all eating dinner with their "imperfections".

Oh yeah. I forgot about that finale. I always did like how we finally got a more detailed version of Courage's past, even though its still sad to see him as a little puppy crying for his parents like that. The second half did fine in nicely as well with all of them living with their imperfections.

Knightmare

Jem, had a very good last episode in it the Holograms help Banee find her long lost father and Jem and Pizzaaz come to a truce ending the Misfit/Hologram feud.

Transformers Generation 1 had two finales, Return of Optimus Prime and the 3-birth "Rebirth". "Rebirth" was a last minute idea by Hasbro to promote the new Target and Head Masters toys and according to David Wise who wrote "Rebirth" it was originally meant to be a 5-part story that Hasbro and/or Sunbrow cut down to a 3 parter at the last minute.

X-Men:The Animated Series had a great ending in "Graduation Day" with Professor X almost dying and then at the end him telling his students what he thought made each of them special, it was a very emotional and very well done moment.

STARTOUNZ

Best buds since the Stone Age
X-Men:The Animated Series had a great ending in "Graduation Day" with Professor X almost dying and then at the end him telling his students what he thought made each of them special, it was a very emotional and very well done moment.

X-Men: Evolution itself had a great 2-part finale when the X-Men and others split up to several parts of the world to prevent Apocolypse from turning the entire human race into mutants in "Ascension". The final scene had Prof. Xavier giving his speech to the group which had clips of possible futures they may or may not face.

Static Shock had a good finale with "Power Outage" in which he, Gear, and the other metahumans were losing their superpowers. The heroes were able to get their powers back which led to one final battle against two of their main adversaries, Hotstreak and Ebon, who were combined into a giant mutant monster when they got an overdose of the gas that got them their powers. Of course, Static wins and he and Gear fly off into the night, repowered and prepared to continue their adventures in crimefighting.

Undrave

Forever Burning Heart!
Mighty Max famously has the pro-repeat resolution. Basically, everything goes to hell and Skullmaster gets the cap (which transforms into a crown, possibly it's true form). As he enters the last stages of his plan, Max intervenes and creates a time loop which returns him to the start of his adventures, only he, Virgil and Norman remember everything. So you can take it that next time round they win or that Max is stuck in a never ending time loop as the only way to protect the world.

I thought the last episode of Mighty Max saw Virgil turn against Max and Norman and Max waking up in his bed in a lame "It was all just a dream?!" ending.

Zen Man

Tiny Toon Adventures - The Tiny Toons Christmas Special can kinda be seen as a finale with Bugs Bunny appearing at the very end just like he introduced the series in the pilot episode.

Animaniacs (Wakko's Wish) - The DTV featured all the characters finally getting their wishes which were recurring themes during the series run.

DuckTales - I think it was the Golden Goose episode where Scrooge saves the world from being absorbed by gold.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Myself, I tend to consider "Hooray for North Hollywood" to be the series finale of Animaniacs, as "Wakko's Wish", while it was the last true episode of A!, was more of an alternate universe story.

speedy fast

Regarding the "original" last episode of Rugrats (and shouldn't the first episode technically be the "original" last episode? :p ), ... Oh, wait...

Angelica ended up not moving away after all. Charolette's assistant Jonathan ended up taking the job she was getting (thouhg he would be mentioend and seen again after the show was revived). That's like counting that the "original" last epsiode of Dexter's Lab as having a finale, sicne Dexter's parents learn of the lab, and Dexter learns that his Monkey is a superhero... Only for them all to forget everything.

Sanosuke

Stayin' Gold. Real Gold.
Regarding the "original" last episode of Rugrats (and shouldn't the first episode technically be the "original" last episode? :p ), ... Oh, wait...

Angelica ended up not moving away after all. Charolette's assistant Jonathan ended up taking the job she was getting (thouhg he would be mentioend and seen again after the show was revived). That's like counting that the "original" last epsiode of Dexter's Lab as having a finale, sicne Dexter's parents learn of the lab, and Dexter learns that his Monkey is a superhero... Only for them all to forget everything.
I find it amusing that you were the only person to put the ending in spoilers-no need, pal.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts