"DC Studios' DC Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 4 (Spoilers)

Medinnus

Staff member
Yeah, not that I think Huntress really needs to be race-bent compared to promoting DC's legit Asian heroes.
I am inclined to agree, but as an older (59 years!) white male, I really only have a perspective of someone with scads of representation, but I have others' testimony that other perspectives very much appreciate race- and sex- changes that enhance their own identification with protagonists

Frontier

Staff member
I am inclined to agree, but as an older (59 years!) white male, I really only have a perspective of someone with scads of representation, but I have others' testimony that other perspectives very much appreciate race- and sex- changes that enhance their own identification with protagonists
I guess I get that, though ultimately I think in the case of race-bending I feel like the character needs to matter more than the race.

Medinnus

Staff member
I guess I get that, though ultimately I think in the case of race-bending I feel like the character needs to matter more than the race.
Agreed, but how many hero characters have a major component being sex or race-based?

the greenman

My issue revolves around two things:

#1 if a character is a specific ethnicity (already established), exploring it would not hurt. They had VIBE on the Flash CW for years, but to my knowledge never got too deep into his story. I only knew him from JL Detroit before hand, and that was 80's style all the way.

#2 don't just have a character exists in a vacuum. They should have background, possible love interest, nemesis (even if no superpower one), and a mindset. If none of that, why are we making a film on these characters?

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
My issue revolves around two things:

#1 if a character is a specific ethnicity (already established), exploring it would not hurt. They had VIBE on the Flash CW for years, but to my knowledge never got too deep into his story. I only knew him from JL Detroit before hand, and that was 80's style all the way.

Define "story," he had several arcs including his own Superhero origin.

the greenman

Define "story," he had several arcs including his own Superhero origin.
Well, in reference to Cisco/Vibe, we know full well he was a geek at heart. Knowing he was not a main character, and I recognize neither iteration was a main character, it wouldn't be a shock to develop him more. Past family and I recognize he got a relationship, and I think they did their best. I think the actor displayed their concerns as well.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Honestly, I found Robbie as too attractive as Harley. Not necessarily a turn off, but just a little unbelievable to a degree. I hope that doesn't sound sexist or something, but I just couldn't see her as Harley. Funny cause someone like Kirsten Wiig came to mind for her back in the day. IDK
Yeah, I never clung to Robbie either as Harley. I actually thought/think Samara Weaving from Mayhem and Ready or Not could do it. Though I'm sure Mia Goth or Anya Taylor-Joy might be the more popular choices. Oddly, I think could see Wiig as Harley in Reeves' The Batman universe.
See, I'm the opposite on Robbie as Harley since I think she's aced it but honestly, I think Goth would be too obvious of a choice since she's been typecast in similar roles from horror films and I'd like to see her play against type in a non-horror film.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Playing catch up still, but anyway:

From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"How Long Until Superman And Batman Join Mickey Mouse?"​

splash-supermanshield.jpg

"At this point, the pattern has been fairly well established: when an iconic character crosses into the public domain, there are several months of people doing “shocking” things with the character to get attention, and then eventually everyone calms down and waits for the next one. The apocalypse Disney feared with Mickey Mouse becoming PD didn’t amount to much of anything; he’s still a valuable character and the various amateur horror takes didn’t do much to destroy his image. It’s almost like the current copyright system is overblown and based on imaginary fears, but…naaah.

However, it signals a new reality for major conglomerates who own popular characters created in the 1930s. Over the next decade, most of these characters will fall into public domain, and media companies like Warner Bros — who rely on several, at least for now — are preparing. Superman and Lois Lane become PD in 2034. Batman will follow them in 2035, his nemesis the Joker goes free in 2036, and Wonder Woman completes the trifecta in 2037. It’ll be a full decade before any of that starts happening, but Variety reports that WB is already thinking ahead."

Read the full article here.

Anyone looking forward to the idea of "Public Domain Superman"?

Zorak Masaki

Even then, you only have rights to certain aspects. Superman cant have the iconic crest and cant fly for one example.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts