"DC Studios' DC Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 4 (Spoilers)

the greenman

So I have been reading a lot of criticism of James Gunn as of late. First when hiring Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardener. Especially when hiring his brother now as Maxwell Lord. We already suspected his actors would follow along to the DCU. What say you all?

Only time it came up with Feige as producer was Chris Evans as Cap.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So I have been reading a lot of criticism of James Gunn as of late. First when hiring Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardener. Especially when hiring his brother now as Maxwell Lord. We already suspected his actors would follow along to the DCU. What say you all?

Only time it came up with Feige as producer was Chris Evans as Cap.
Doesn't bother me much. There are filmmakers out there who have actors they frequently use, for whatever reason - friends, good rapport, etc - like Nolan. I get that people associate Sean Gunn with James and say nepotism but Sean has a solid resume and the work he's done with James is a small fraction. I'd guess not many remember Sean was on Gilmore Girls. I was always lukewarm on Fillion, something about him just idk made me leery, but if Gunn thinks he can be Guy, so be it. Not a deal breaker for me - I can not like a actor and still watch a movie or show. I'm sure those people out there making fancasts think he'll cast Pratt as Booster Gold or Bautista as Bane. But look at Legacy, he cast actors he hasn't worked with to my knowledge for the lead roles of Superman, Lois, and Lex. Or look at the voice cast of Creature Commandos. And he's dismissed the rumors about Rooker and Russell. So far, he's striking a good balance in the casts.

Frontier

Staff member
I admit I'm someone who has enjoyed Gunn's Guardians movies but am still skeptical he can pull off running an entire line of DCU movies or continuity, especially when I'm not convinced yet that his kind of approach can be wholesale replicated for everything or that his ideas will work as well with something that's not totally revamping a property like he did with Guardians.

I'm at least willing to give it a chance. I just hope we don't need to reinvent characters or make them dumber.

the greenman

I think the issue comes from the fact he was a filmmaker first, and not exactly the best of them imho. The Suicide Squad was too Harley heavy, and not a big fan of Peacemaker. Not going to bring up his past either, but as a producer he should be open minded.

What also worries me is just who wants to ultimately work with him at this point. I like Hoult as Luthor, but hopefully more choices are level in casting.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
That he's willing to let us know :rolleyes2:.
12/21: James Gunn credits Tom King as an integral part of DCU. King was one of the 1st people he showed the Superman script and asked for notes. He will be included in various ways in numerous other projects in addition to Woman of Tomorrow. He also wants to adapt more of King's runs/books.
I'm not the biggest fan of Tom King and his work, popularity aside, so I at least hope they temper or modify some of what they adapt from him.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
When asked to comment on the rumor that Margot Robbie won't be Harley Quinn anymore, Gunn responded, “I haven’t talked to Margot about Harley for a long time. But I’d love to work with her again as Harley or as someone else. There are no plans at this time for anyone else to play Harley (I mean, other than in Todd’s movie or the animated show/s.)”
That's about what I expected. I think if we do see a Harley in Gunn's DCU, barring any scheduling issues, it's going to be Margot :).

Frontier

Staff member

the greenman

Plastic Man feels like a perfect fit for the Gunn era :).

I feel like being Italian (and Catholic) is a big part of Huntress' characters...so in the efforts of diversity we'll have her be Korean and also still Italian, I guess :p.

I don't even know what to say about that, with her being mixed. I can at least roll my eyes.

Frontier

Staff member
Eh, it felt super obvious the thing Gunn was talking to Pom Klementieff about was Huntress so this little rumor isn't a shocker imo.
I don't see any particular reason why Helena couldn't be half-Korean. I just wonder if it is wise to further complicate an already complex background. What does this add to Huntress?
It would definitely make it convenient for Gunn to give more work to one of his friends :p.

the greenman

When asked to comment on the rumor that Margot Robbie won't be Harley Quinn anymore, Gunn responded, “I haven’t talked to Margot about Harley for a long time. But I’d love to work with her again as Harley or as someone else. There are no plans at this time for anyone else to play Harley (I mean, other than in Todd’s movie or the animated show/s.)”

Honestly, I found Robbie as too attractive as Harley. Not necessarily a turn off, but just a little unbelievable to a degree. I hope that doesn't sound sexist or something, but I just couldn't see her as Harley. Funny cause someone like Kirsten Wiig came to mind for her back in the day. IDK

Eh, it felt super obvious the thing Gunn was talking to Pom Klementieff about was Huntress so this little rumor isn't a shocker imo.
Okay, there's the other foot. In other words this isn't an open casting call.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly, I found Robbie as too attractive as Harley. Not necessarily a turn off, but just a little unbelievable to a degree. I hope that doesn't sound sexist or something, but I just couldn't see her as Harley. Funny cause someone like Kirsten Wiig came to mind for her back in the day. IDK
Harley's known for being pretty attractive though...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I never clung to Robbie either as Harley. I actually thought/think Samara Weaving from Mayhem and Ready or Not could do it. Though I'm sure Mia Goth or Anya-Taylor Joy might be the more popular choices. Oddly, I think could see Wiig as Harley in Reeves' The Batman universe.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts