"DC Studios' DC Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 4 (Spoilers)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
While I am among those who would've wanted Henry Cavill to remain, thus sad to see him depart though to be fair, I'm not surprised given that he was sidelined by higher ups after Justice League, I'm giving the upcoming relaunch under Gunn and Safran a chance.

As long as it gives us good stuff, that's fine by me.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
James Gunn made the only profitable live action superhero movie during the Great Superhero Movie Crash of 2023. He clearly gets superheroes and the second Suicide Squad probably would have been a box office hit if it weren't for the coronavirus and it being streamable on Max. Really, people seem tired of superhero movies even if they are really good like Blue Beetle.

Frontier

Staff member
James Gunn made the only profitable live action superhero movie during the Great Superhero Movie Crash of 2023. He clearly gets superheroes and the second Suicide Squad probably would have been a box office hit if it weren't for the coronavirus and it being streamable on Max. Really, people seem tired of superhero movies even if they are really good like Blue Beetle.
I think it's fair to say that Gunn gets his specific brand of heroes and films, whether that's translated to an entire cinematic universe remains to be seen.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I think it's fair to say that Gunn gets his specific brand of heroes and films, whether that's translated to an entire cinematic universe remains to be seen.

His films are mostly wacky cartoon humor with drama mixed in. The anti-Snyder. I don't think that tone works for Superman (essentially the Superman III tone). There is a middle ground between grim dark and wacky comedy, like the 00s X-Men and Spider-Man films, but for some reason it feels like films most conform to one extreme or the other nowadays. Maybe Gunn is more versatile than Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad and the idea that he'll turn the Justice League into the Guardians of the Galaxy is pure speculation. Then again, this tone would actually work for the Justice League International.

the greenman

We've heard this before...until I hear it from Gunn's mouth, I'll take it with a grain of salt.
She probably has/had a contract with WB before all of this transitioning began. Cavill I believe is out at this point and Snyder screwed him over by doing BvS instead of a proper MoS sequel.

So neither her or Cavill (and looking like Mamoa too) got a trilogy. I think Gadot at least was going along with the program as flawed as it was.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Gadot was the one bit of casting in the DCEU I loved. I mean, Cavill and Levi weren't bad either, but Gadot just blew me away every second she was onscreen. I would hate to think her excellent Wonder Woman career could be cut short simply because the execs and script-writers were so bad at their jobs. That's not fair to her or how amazing she is.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
^^Speaking of execs who are so bad at their jobs, here's an interesting article that I just found just today:

I know it has nothing to do with the current DC Studios that was ran by James Gunn and Peter Safran, but I want to share this because it's a very interesting tale of how previous management at Warner Bros and DC are so desperate to get that MCU money, and they thought, "let's make 20 DCEU movies over the next 10 years! Yeah, that would show the mouse!"

Yeah, look what happened 10 years later...

What a mess.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Reading stuff like this just gets me steaming mad. I'll think I'll refrain from further comment. Just assume my true feelings involve a lot of vulgarity and bile and you can imagine them.

the greenman

It's not just WB/DC to blame. Remember pretty much every studio tried their hands at a connective 'universe' of some sort. I honestly thought things with DC could possibly work, but it was BvS where I saw the flaws. Rushing WW in and lest I mention BatFleck didn't even have a film yet.

Ugh

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts