Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I'm not sure what that means. Is it against Lucas' wishes to release the originals or something like that?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
That and the full distribution rights for Incredible Hulk. I'm happy they have the rights to Namor back from Universal, simply for the fact that's one of Fantastic Four's top tier enemies/characters.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

When did they get that back?

No matter, it’s great that they have it now, especially since they can use them with Fantastic Four and other characters.

Also, if they want to do more cosmic stuff, they should definitely make a Silver Surfer movie and have him team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the greenman

No matter, it’s great that they have it now, especially since they can use them with Fantastic Four and other characters.

Also, if they want to do more cosmic stuff, they should definitely make a Silver Surfer movie and have him team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Fox had a script for Silver Surfer solo film for awhile. Now it would be very interesting if Marvel would do a Silver Surfer film before even a Fantastic Four film. They can build up Galactus just like Thanos.

I know James Gunn is "excited":

98ce30fce51e4e39156e5f0e03052c7c.jpg

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Troy Troodon

I'm just hoping we can see the FF and Xmen, and related characters animated again.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Back in summer 2016. Quesada revealed it.

Yep, yep.

Fox had a script for Silver Surfer solo film for awhile. Now it would be very interesting if Marvel would do a Silver Surfer film before even a Fantastic Four film. They can build up Galactus just like Thanos.
Yes, it's great with the cosmic MCU coming to the forefront, they now have access to pretty much all characters. With Gunn working on GoTG Vol 3, things got interesting. I wonder if the buyout is going to help him decide on the consultant position if he hasn't already.

TMC1982

Though acquiring the FX Networks is a plus for Disney as they now have have a better platform to target adult males, I don't think they're too focus on gaining channels as they gaining large libraries of content, since ratings are dropping across the board.
However, I don't know if cord cutting is a problem overseas as it is in the States, so they could be upset that these foreign channel acquisitions could be jeopardized by anti-trust laws.

FX could be a victim of the Disney-21st Century Fox merger

American.horror.story.cult.png

“FX owns one of the most prestigious track records in all of cable,” says Steven Zeitchik, yet “no one seems to know where it will fall” in the aftermath of the Disney-21st Century Fox consolidation. FX won 18 Emmys last year, the most-ever for a basic cable channel. “But it is also a niche channel that rarely scores more than a few million viewers for its shows and regularly engages in the kind of critic- and award-friendly material Disney has shown little appetite for,” says Zeitchik. On the one hand, FX’s identity for upscale and prestigious shows and its relationship with highly regarded showrunners like Ryan Murphy may help Disney compete with Netflix. On the other hand, there’s a chance FX can lose its identity as Disney seeks shows with more mass appeal. “FX has been responsible for some really great television, but these are shows that, relatively speaking, don’t get a lot of viewers,” Zeitchik quotes cable expert Cory Barker as saying. “And it seems everything Disney continues to do is move toward its big-property, profit-maximization strategy.” Barker adds: “It’s hard to see where FX fits in.”

Dudley

Staff member
Maybe they can balance FX’s programming by airing both critically acclaimed shows and shows that can bring in great ratings.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
FX is very overrated in my mind. The only three shows I've seen on it that I thought were actually worthwhile were Louie, the first two seasons of Fargo (the third sucked) and now Legion. Wilfred and American Horror Story are hardly what I think of as critically acclaimed favorites. They actually suck.

P.S. I have never actually sat down and watched The Shield or Sons of Anarchy which were both supposedly fabulous. But that's because I hated both of the premises, which is another reason I don't think FX is all that hot. They makes critically beloved shows that I actually don't want to or feel the need to see.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
You can track down the DVD versions of the unaltered original trilogy on Ebay.

You mean the non-anamorphic pieces of crap that were mastered from old Laserdisc videos? I'll pass, thanks.

FX could be a victim of the Disney-21st Century Fox merger
American.horror.story.cult.png

“FX owns one of the most prestigious track records in all of cable,” says Steven Zeitchik, yet “no one seems to know where it will fall” in the aftermath of the Disney-21st Century Fox consolidation. FX won 18 Emmys last year, the most-ever for a basic cable channel. “But it is also a niche channel that rarely scores more than a few million viewers for its shows and regularly engages in the kind of critic- and award-friendly material Disney has shown little appetite for,” says Zeitchik. On the one hand, FX’s identity for upscale and prestigious shows and its relationship with highly regarded showrunners like Ryan Murphy may help Disney compete with Netflix. On the other hand, there’s a chance FX can lose its identity as Disney seeks shows with more mass appeal. “FX has been responsible for some really great television, but these are shows that, relatively speaking, don’t get a lot of viewers,” Zeitchik quotes cable expert Cory Barker as saying. “And it seems everything Disney continues to do is move toward its big-property, profit-maximization strategy.” Barker adds: “It’s hard to see where FX fits in.”

I thought that this wasn't affecting Fox's television, and that Disney was only getting access to the movie library?

RegularCapital

Staff member
In my opinion, Disney should not be allowed to buy most of 21st Century Fox's assets. We had a discussion about the proposed merger at work a couple of days ago, saying how great that Disney can finally have the movie rights to Fox's Marvel characters and the physical distribution rights to the old Star Wars films, it seems that I was the only one who thought the merger was bad.

I'm not against big media companies, in fact I think they set the standard that smaller independent studios should strive for and allows stability in the industry, but when competition gets stifled, so does creativity. For this merger to go through, Disney/FOX should sell quite a few assets, for instance the shareholding in Sky Europe, Star in Asia, Endemol Shine, a large chunk of FOX International Channels, National Geographic and Disney's shareholding in A+E.

Also there's one thing I don't understand with the Murdochs', they purposely demerged their old declining (and also scandalous) newspaper publishing business (News Corp) so it doesn't affect their new media part of their business (i.e. 21st Century Fox), but there's reports they now want to merge what's left on the 21st Century Fox side with News Corp and focus on news again. Also all their efforts to buy Sky in Europe seemed like it was a pointless exercise, well at least they will have a significant shareholding in the "new Disney".

Who will now own the "Fox" brand name, is it Disney, or 21st Century Fox? or will there be a similar arrangement to where the (mostly) Disney owned Fox Kids was allowed to keep FOX name for their channels outside the United States between 2001-2005. Or will there be a 20th Century/FOX brand demerger?

With this news and net neutrality at risk, it has been a bad week.

Last edited:

animegamer

So will star India be run as a subsidiary or be directly by Disney India? I just hope they keep the STAR and Disney channels a distance from each other to avoid a feed mess up here

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I'm not against big media companies, in fact I think they set the standard that smaller independent studios should strive for and allows stability in the industry, but when competition gets stifled, so does creativity. For this merger to go through, Disney/FOX should sell quite a few assets, for instance the shareholding in Sky Europe, Star in Asia, Endemol Shine, a large chunk of FOX International Channels, National Geographic and Disney's shareholding in A+E.
I don't know how it's like in the UK, but in most of Europe, there is no competition when it comes to streaming services. Netflix doesn't have any proper competitor.

Amazon Prime recently launched, but its main audience is just 6 countries. (UK, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg)

Hulu is not a thing here.

HBO Go is only available on selected providers and it's way more expensive and way less extensive than Netflix. Honestly everyone here just pays for Netflix and watches HBO shows illegally.

I know Disney said there streaming service won't come to Europe, but now I have hope that they will eventually change their mind.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts