Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Logically and financially, this deal makes sense. They hold the rights to the former Fox Kids/Old Saban library with the exception of the live action shows Saban bought back. It'll be quite the reunion of all of the entertainment properties and shows from Fox under one roof. One of the shows that's been on my mind is Eek! The Cat, which had a crossover with The X-Files. Perhaps maybe a DVD or official streaming release could happen once the deal is complete.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Here in Portugal SIC has exclusive terrestrial rights to Disney film premieres for some time now and recently they started to show some more TCF films as well. Contractual agreements with individual television channels in individual countries might change, especially with a game-changing deal like this one.

animegamer

Maybe Disney might be more considerate and replace Star India channels with Fox Asia channels in neighbour countries.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

ToonJay723

Staff member
So Disney now owns 11 out of the 15 shows on FOX. So will they still air on FOX, or be moved to ABC, FX, FXX, ect?

Dudley

Staff member
So Disney now owns 11 out of the 15 shows on FOX. So will they still air on FOX, or be moved to ABC, FX, FXX, ect?

Fox has the broadcast rights, it’ll be up to them if they want their competitor to provide a lot of their programming.
Which they likely won’t.
Word has it that Fox will fill their airtime with a lot of non-scripted programming, like reality TV, and news. They could also pick up shows from other companies like Warner Bros, Sony, and various other smaller studios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Really Disney is building up its content stock for its 'unnamed streaming service' in 2019. The reasons are simple:

- So not only will it have all of it's Disney films, and television IP including Marvel and Lucasfilm.

- Now it will include Fox owned Marvel stuff. All X-Men films and television properties. Fantastic Four and X-Men characters.

- Now in addition to the television properties, they will have the full rights to the original 6 Star Wars episodes. Now they can rerelease the 3D versions of all those.

...So does this mean "R.I.P. Hulu - Disney's forming it's own thing!" Or will they simply transform Hulu into the 'Disney streaming thing'?

I must have missed the list. Which 11 shows? And which 4 stay with Fox?

Feels like we should be saying "R.I.P. Fox Channel - born October 1986, died December 2017"

This is exactly what I said in an earlier post in this thread.

I actually proposed Disney launch an adult animation block ala AS on Disney XD prior to the news that Disney was in discussion to buy most of Fox's assets. My working title for the block was "The Bar" a reference to drinking establishments which prohibit underage patrons from drinking certain products and in certain cases even entering the establishment.

Now they'll have (likely) FXX for that purpose.
Ahem. There is a Disney network suited for such an Idea, it's called Freeform. Even then, I highly doubt they would do such a thing the network's demographic is suited for that but it's still a family network at heart. Two, FXX already tried such a thing with Animation Domination High-Def and it didn't last for very long.

ToonJay723

Staff member
The shows that are produced by and air on FOX. Here's a list of which is owned and isn't.

They didn't say they were being moved, I just wanted to know what will happen to them, since Disney would technically be competing against ABC, since they would own most of the shows on FOX's schedule.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
There's also another Portuguese shortcoming:

Disney has an exclusive on-demand platform with MEO
FOX has an exclusive on-demand platform with NOS

Frontier

Staff member

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Doesn't CBS own like a large chunk of The CW channel? Yet they still let them broadcast whatever they want (they even tossed Supergirl from CBS over to the CW).

So maybe that's the comparison: Disney still lets Fox air it's line-up, it's just that Disney makes a profit off of everything Fox airs.

So, kinda like how The CW is "An 'over the air' spinoff station to CBS", now FOX is "An 'over the air' spinoff station to ABC".

We're somehow back to their being only 3 real networks: ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Dudley

Staff member
I guess Disney should allow their shows to keep going on Fox. After all, there’s only so much airtime in the day, and Disney can’t move all the Fox shows onto ABC or the other networks they own unless they cancel shows to make room.
And Fox does make money via ads from airing shows no matter who produces them.
There’s a lot of different scenarios that can play out. One of which is that Disney could jack up licensing fees so where Fox can’t afford to air these shows anymore (which could be illegal).
The other is that Disney’s expectations in terms of ratings will increase. Anything that’s not performing at a high level on their networks, will be cancelled so they can move some Fox shows over to Disney. This could lead to a lot of Fox and ABC shows to get cancelled to make room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
...So does this mean "R.I.P. Hulu - Disney's forming it's own thing!" Or will they simply transform Hulu into the 'Disney streaming thing'?

Well Comcast and Turner have a stake in Hulu and the former wants to take control of it.

Feels like we should be saying "R.I.P. Fox Channel - born October 1986, died December 2017"

Well Comcast and Turner have a stake in Hulu and the former wants to take control of it.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
This worries me. I'm too tired to really vent them all right now so here's more or less my thoughts in video form

columbiaharmeowny

Your favorite evil pie mascot!
I was worried that this meant that the DreamWorks movies distributed by Fox would be owned by Disney and Disney having the rights to them might screw Universal over for making theme park attractions based on them, a la the Universal/Marvel contract that prevents Walt Disney World from making Marvel rides, but that's a silly thought, because Universal owns DreamWorks now, and one of the Fox-distributed DreamWorks properties has shown up at a Universal park (the Trolls meet-and-greet at Universal Studios Hollywood), meaning distribution rights don't matter! But I'm not sure if this affects stuff like the cheap summer movie screenings some theaters do, since Disney movies aren't shown in those programs (unless they're live action, in the case of Regal Cinemas).

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Besides Chipmunks, what other live-action family movie franchises are currently being made by Fox (and potentially could be switched to the Disney label)?

columbiaharmeowny

Your favorite evil pie mascot!
Besides Chipmunks, what other live-action family movie franchises are currently being made by Fox (and potentially could be switched to the Disney label)?
There's Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and that's the only one I'm aware of.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts