Do Chowder and Flapjack really count as CN Classics?

Stumpos

But personally imo, I think everything before 2010 can be considered a "classic" now because even to this day, Adventure Time still has relevancy with Fionna & Cake spinoff, a Regular Show spinoff series has been announced and I believe Gumball isn't completely finished yet. Even Teen Titans Go! hasn't finished yet even if its declining in popularity. I might as well go as far and say that Young Justice, a series that got cancelled by CN ended up getting revived for 2 more seasons, one of those being on MAX. 2010-present CN is modern CN and while those series will be classics one day, I don't know if I can call those "classics" right now.
Then what about Ben 10, where does that fall? It began in 2005, and that still has relevancy to this day with various sequels and a reboot, not too different from Adventure Time and Regular Show. Ditto with Samurai Jack being in a same boat as Young Justice as a show that got cancelled by CN and revived for another season.

Markus Nelis

I consider these shows as classics after they're 20 years old so 5 years to go. However they are now considered as old. I wouldn't call them classics yet. For example WNSD is now a classic show in my list.

Stumpos

I should note that Maxwell Atoms (Creator of Billy & Mandy) gave his two cents on it where he considers 2008 onward to be modern and everything before that to be classic. So, yes for Chowder being classic, no for Flapjack, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and anything after those.
1721061893021.png

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
I should note that Maxwell Atoms (Creator of Billy & Mandy) gave his two cents on it where he considers 2008 onward to be modern and everything before that to be classic. So, yes for Chowder being classic, no for Flapjack, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and anything after those.
View attachment 309191
Well the comment is stated to refer to being around/after 2008, so Flapjack isn't completely ruled out.

If anything I'm more interested in the comment about shows only by CN Studios (even though he's technically incorrect about Mixels), since a few Cartoon Networks originals (Ed Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Mike Lu & Og, Sheep in the Big City, Codename: Kids Next Door, also The Secret Saturdays but I think that has even less of an appearing chance than Flapjack) weren't produced by the studios (although maybe he meant what CN owns?)

Mejo

Ada-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-beddy-ya!
“Classic" generally refers to something old in a genre, though it is also applied nowadays to the original version of something. I think that if one refers to classic cartoons in general, they must be around 25 - 30 years old to qualify so Flapjack and Chowder wouldn’t count. They could be However, if one refers to CN “Classics”, I think that since there’s a much smaller pool, they must be around 15 years old to qualify so Flapjack and Chowder WOULD count.

Stumpos

“Classic" generally refers to something old in a genre, though it is also applied nowadays to the original version of something. I think that if one refers to classic cartoons in general, they must be around 25 - 30 years old to qualify so Flapjack and Chowder wouldn’t count. They could be However, if one refers to CN “Classics”, I think that since there’s a much smaller pool, they must be around 15 years old to qualify so Flapjack and Chowder WOULD count.
I wouldn't say 15 years is the best metric for if it counts as a classic. After all, Adventure Time, Generator Rex, and Ben 10 Ultimate Alien will turn 15 in nine months, would they become classics too by that logic?
Well, Maxwell Atoms did said that CN Originals before 2008 are considered a classic. So yeah, Chowder and Flapjack count as classics.
Flapjack isn't from pre-2008 though. It premiered DURING 2008.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I wouldn't say 15 years is the best metric for if it counts as a classic. After all, Adventure Time, Generator Rex, and Ben 10 Ultimate Alien will turn 15 in nine months, would they become classics too by that logic?
I mean, I don't think Adventure Time count as a classic since the franchise is still relatively new and ongoing.
Flapjack isn't from pre-2008 though. It premiered DURING 2008.
Yeah, Flapjack premiered in 2008, yet people consider that a classic.

Stumpos

I mean, I don't think Adventure Time count as a classic since the franchise is still relatively new and ongoing.
True, but then that gives confusion on where Ben 10 falls under. It debuted in 2005, but that franchise is still ongoing and hasn't really slowed down much.

DeanBurrito25

I think it's safe to say so. Both series were influential in spearheading Cartoon Network's direction in the 2010's. Think of all the storyboard artists from said shows that would have their own series greenlit in that era (Pen Ward with Adventure Time, JG Quintel with Regular Show, Patrick McHale with Over the Garden Wall, Pete Browngardt with Secret Mountain Fort Awesome/Uncle Grandpa, etc.); even Alex Hirsch found success with Gravity Falls on Disney Channel!

Also, it's easy to forget – it's been nearly twenty years since both Chowder and Flapjack premiered. No, I don't want to think about that either, but enough time has passed.

Stumpos

I think it's safe to say so. Both series were influential in spearheading Cartoon Network's direction in the 2010's. Think of all the storyboard artists from said shows that would have their own series greenlit in that era (Pen Ward with Adventure Time, JG Quintel with Regular Show, Patrick McHale with Over the Garden Wall, Pete Browngardt with Secret Mountain Fort Awesome/Uncle Grandpa, etc.); even Alex Hirsch found success with Gravity Falls on Disney Channel!

Also, it's easy to forget – it's been nearly twenty years since both Chowder and Flapjack premiered. No, I don't want to think about that either, but enough time has passed.
It's only been 16 and 17 years since they began, that's kinda overrounding it a bit.

mqg96

Then what about Ben 10, where does that fall? It began in 2005, and that still has relevancy to this day with various sequels and a reboot, not too different from Adventure Time and Regular Show. Ditto with Samurai Jack being in a same boat as Young Justice as a show that got cancelled by CN and revived for another season.

Oh sorry I didn't answer your question immediately, but Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10 are Cartoon Network's biggest brands pre-2010. They will keep making new versions of PPG and Ben 10 for years to come and they'll probably do the same with Adventure Time honestly, but Adventure Time is still way more recent in comparison, it only ended in 2018. With Fionna & Cake coming out not too long afterwards.

The original Ben 10 ended in 2008 while the original Powerpuff Girls was mostly over by 2004. Samurai Jack did come back for one more season in 2017 but the majority of the series was over by 2004. That was a 13 year gap. They just decided to bring it back briefly on adult swim. Before I got rid of Charter Spectrum cable, the original PPG was titled as "Powerpuff Girls Classic" for a reason.

Either way, the 2010 CN logo is still used today in 2024, and I believe that's a good cutoff for what's considered classic or not especially with the state CN continues to be in right now. Other posters have brought up valid points as well.

5 years from now, I might have a different answer for Adventure Time and Regular Show but we'll see in due time. There's just way too many 2010's era of CN shows that have only been over for a few years or have sequels going on or currently in the works.

Stumpos

View attachment 309191
Well, now CH Greenblatt has confirmed Adventure Time and Regular Show are included in the Cartoon Network crossover with Jellystone, so does that mean he saw those two as CN Classics now? I guess the 2008 loophole comes from their pilots being released before 2008 (The Naive Man from Loliland in 2005 and Adventure Time's pilot in 2007).
1722046518176.png

1722046525384.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

#releasethebvsentertainmentlibrary
To this day, ever since 2016. I have rightfully hoped that the BVS Entertainment library will be fully released one day. There will be a day where we see high quality masters of these shows.

I plan to stay optimistic.
Say what you will about the contents of their videos but Troom Troom sure knows how to entice their viewers with an intriguing concept!

So in case some of you didn't realise yet, those of you that know me from YouTube probably saw that today is a very bad day for me.
Changed to the Hungarian-flagged avatar because of a national holiday.

Featured Posts