Is WarnerDiscovery going to kill Cartoon Network?

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
No, because then it would have to be premium....again breaking contracts.
I do have some insight into the industry, albeit local, but can you explain to me please how would that break contracts if the purchased content would be still aired/on demand? Do you have the viewership in mind here ie. that making it premium it would get less households than now? Maybe some contracts would run out by that time and others could be negotiated. Sorry for the derailing here, but I find this concept intriguing.

By the way, I don't see this nor CN getting shut down happening anytime soon either. They wouldn't rebrand the channel and celebrate 30 years only to close it a few months later.

Silver-7

Tad Ghostal
its a possibilty, but i doubt it. if they rebrand cartoon network as "warner bros animation" it wouldn't be a good move. if there gonna take everything from the CN library and just slap the warner bros animation label on it, it can hurt the popularity of shows since you dont normally associate shows like gumball, adventure time, regular show, with warner bros animation. people are most likely being dramatic in responce of the hbo max news. going to such lengths as claiming that, ''CARTOON NETWORK IS SHUTTING DOWN!! GUMBALL MOVIE CANCELLED!!" which neither is true

Silver-7

Tad Ghostal
By the way, I don't see this nor CN getting shut down happening anytime soon either. They wouldn't rebrand the channel and celebrate 30 years only to close it a few months later.
that's another thing, CN is celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year. if they were truly shutting down they wouldn't make an effort to celebrate it. there's also things to factor in like, what about cartoonito, adult swim, and toonami? what happens to them if CN shuts down? i just see this as people being dramatic or people making rumors for attention. although i'm not a multi-billion dollar company, i don't know what goes on behind the scenes over at warner bros discovery

R Lopez

if they rebrand cartoon network as "warner bros animation" it wouldn't be a good move. if there gonna take everything from the CN library and just slap the warner bros animation label on it, it can hurt the popularity of shows since you dont normally associate shows like gumball, adventure time, regular show, with warner bros animation.
You say that like it's never happened before.

When Turner Broadcasting bought Hanna-Barbera in order to create Cartoon Network, the HB name didn't disappear overnight, but it was dead by the end of that decade. I mean, they still use it whenever WB puts out another Scooby-Doo thing, but HB became Warner Bros. Animation.

It can totally happen again.

CN is celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year. if they were truly shutting down they wouldn't make an effort to celebrate it.

I wouldn't call putting a sticker on some DVD sets and sticking some classics on the schedule a major investment.

TheMisterManGuy

I don't like the way WBD handled the pulling of content on HBO Max. That said, cleaning up the mess that AT&T made with WarnerMedia is going to take a lot of work. I suspect that WBD is going to take a less is more approach to content going forward.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Ok this is a very long post as I have a lot of experience in reading and studying business for the past few years. As we can see the reason why Zaslav has canceled some projects is due to the fact that WBD had acquired a lot of debt due to previous ownership from AT&T. As a result of that Zaslav is gonna have to trim some fat when it comes to new projects and content. If you've read previous articles, what he wants to do with WB is for it to be the, "anti netflix". In the sense where they are gonna create shows that can give them a good return of investment. This leads to them prioritizing cable television, DVDs, and other forms of old media that are still existing today. He also said that some projects created by Warner Bros will still go ahead but be distributed on other platforms like Hulu, Vudu, iTunes just to name a few. From my understanding it would be similar to how the Animaniacs reboot is being distributed on Hulu at the moment. Funny how as I'm writing this it looks like Mao Mao, Infinity Train, and other shows are starting to appear again on iTunes.

As we've seen with a lot of streaming services there is a lot of quantity instead of quality. There are WAY too many shows for viewers to watch and that can lead to series being pulled from a service or being canceled. Netflix has seen this a lot this year. Even some of the Pokémon content that they used to have has been removed in the past few months. Zaslav wants to make sure that the company isn't paying too much to create. This unfortunately has lead to some animated shows being pulled from the service but this is probably due to low viewership and in the end consumers have to WATCH these shows if they want them to stay on the service. Not only that but economists are predicting that we will have a rescission again and we don't really know how this will affect the tv industry. This could be another reason why WBD is not willing to spend too much money on content at the moment. I personally feel like there could be a rude awakening for streaming services within the next year.

Going back to the debt crisis that WBD has. This is not the first time a company has gone through this and this is certainly not the last. I've followed the gaming industry for the longest time and there have been similar situations like this in the past. In the mid 2000s a lot of Japanese gaming companies merged due to them acquiring a lot of debt. Sega Sammy and Konami (Hudson Soft merged with them) are examples of mergers that have occurred within the past few years. Obviously there were games and projects that had to be canceled. However, at the same time with new management and assets that were widely available to developers. Both companies were able to still produce top tier video game and entertainment content for consumers to enjoy.

Now onto my last point. I believe Zaslav is the necessary evil that CN and Warner Bros Animation might need. All of us have to be honest in the sense that CN has struggled to stay relevant after Stu Snyder left the company. Ever since he left we’ve lost some anime, action shows, diverse schedules, classic shows airing, and many other things just to name a few. CN needs someone that can make them RELEVANT again and the things they’ve been trying out for the past eight years have just not been working. I am open to having someone new and trying something different. For example, just look at Nintendo. Nintendo was struggling to stay relevant in the console home market between the midpoint of the 2010s. The company started to really change once Iwata passed away (rest in peace). Since then Nintendo has been a bit more “ruthless” in their business practices. With hiring Kimishima (a former employee in the bank industry) and currently Furukawa (a long time Nintendo employee) as well. That level of ruthlessness has brought them so much success with the Switch and Nintendo is all of a sudden relevant again. The same thing COULD be said about CN. Yeah some people might be upset in the short term. However, in the long term this could work. I just want CN to be the home of diverse animated projects, movies, acquired content, and etc.

Please no hate this is how I've been thinking about the current situation with CN these past few days. Please let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Ok this is a very long post as I have a lot of experience in reading and studying business for the past few years. As we can see the reason why Zaslav has canceled some projects is due to the fact that WB had acquired a lot of debt due to previous ownership from AT&T. As a result of that Zaslav is gonna have to cut some fat when it comes to new projects and content. If you've read previous articles, what he wants to do with WB is for it to be the, "antinetflix" in the sense where they are gonna create shows that can give them a good return of investment. This leads to them prioritizing cable television, DVDs, and other forms of old media that are still existing today. He also said that some projects created by Warner Bros will still go ahead but be distributed on other platforms like Hulu, Vudu, iTunes just to name a few. So It'd just be similar to how the Animaniacs show is at the moment.

As we've seen with a lot of streaming services there is a lot of quantity instead of quality. There are WAY too many shows for viewers to watch and that can lead to series being pulled from a service or being canceled. Netflix has seen this a lot this year. Even some of the Pokémon content that they used to have has been removed in the past few months. And so Zaslav wants to make sure that the company isn't paying too much to create. This unfortunately has lead to some animated shows being pulled from the service but this is probably due to low viewership and in the end consumers have to WATCH these shows if they want them to stay on the service. Not only that but economists are predicting that we will have a rescission again and we don't really know how this will affect the tv industry in the short term and so not spending too much money isn't a bad idea

Going back to the debt crisis that WB has. This is not the first time a company has gone through this and this is certainly not the last time. I've followed the gaming industry for the longest time and there have been similar situations like this in the past. In the mid 2000s a lot of Japanese gaming companies merged due to them acquiring a lot of debt. Ex: Sega and Sammy, and then Konami and Hudson. Obviously there were games that had to be canceled but over time both companies were able to get their act together. Heck even now it seems like Mao Mao, Infinity Train, etc are starting to appear again on iTunes from what I’ve seen. Now onto my last point. I believe Zaslav is the necessary evil that CN and Warner Bros Animation might need. All of us have to be honest in the sense that CN has struggled to stay relevant after Stu Snyder left the company. Ever since he left we’ve lost some anime, Action shows, and diverse schedules , new shows, and many other things just to name a few. CN needs someone that can make them RELEVANT again and the things they’ve been trying out for the past eight years have just not been working. And I’m open to having someone new and trying something. Another example I’m gonna put out is Nintendo. As we saw Nintendo was struggling to stay relevant in the console Home Market between the midpoint of the 2010s. The company started to really change once Iwata passed away(rest in peace). Since that Nintendo has been a bit more “ruthless” in their business practices. With hiring Kimishima (a employee in the bank industry) and currently Furukawa as well. However, that ruthlessness has brought them so much success with the Switch and Nintendo is relevant again. The same thing has to be said about CN. Yeah some people might be upset in the short term. However, in the long term this could work. I just want CN to be the home of diverse animated projects, movies, acquired content and etc.

Please no hate this is how I've been thinking about the current situation with CN these past few days. Please let me know what you guys think
No hate from me. These are good points, actually.

I know a lot of us have been very quick to paint Zaslav as the bad guy in this situation (I definitely have, largely because as an artist I hate the thought of an artist's hard work getting canned just to save some bucks, especially at the hands of a reality TV guy who's responsible for bringing the likes of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras onto the world; some of what I've been reading about his...ideological leanings haven't warmed him up to myself or a lot of other people either, but that leans dangerously close to the 'no discussing politics' rule here so I'll just leave it at that), but the truth is that like him or hate him, Zaslav is in an unenviable position right now; AT&T grossly mismanaged Warner Bros. and put the studio deep in the red, so Zaslav has basically inherited a huge mess that he now has to clean. While Zaslav and his particular ilk of programming aren't my cup of tea, I have to concede that what HBO Max, CN and other services have been doing of late hasn't been completely successful and perhaps the industry is changing or needs to be approached differently.

Zaslav and WBD have recently been backpedaling their previous press releases, now saying that there's still a chance, albeit a small one, that some of these canceled projects may indeed see the light of day at some point; it could just be a case of Zaslav playing CYA after all the bad PR his initial stunt has generated, but HBO Max isn't the only service suffering especially when it comes to animation, so maybe, just maybe, this guy isn't the archenemy of animation that we originally branded him as.

In the end, I just want Warner Bros. and Cartoon Network to be in good hands again, to become popular again and continue to be the fun, creative, diverse and imaginative studio/network that I've admired for much of my life. I don't know if David Zaslav is Warner Bros.' savior, but if he really can put WB back in the black, I'll give credit where credit is due. As long as the WB Animation properties and Cartoon Network are treated with respect and have a decent home where they can receive lots of eyeballs and earn their parent company a substantial profit, then I'll back off any criticism I have of Zaslav and Discovery.

I'm still not a fan of reality TV, but oh well.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Ok this is a very long post as I have a lot of experience in reading and studying business for the past few years. As we can see the reason why Zaslav has canceled some projects is due to the fact that WB had acquired a lot of debt due to previous ownership from AT&T. As a result of that Zaslav is gonna have to cut some fat when it comes to new projects and content. If you've read previous articles, what he wants to do with WB is for it to be the, "antinetflix" in the sense where they are gonna create shows that can give them a good return of investment. This leads to them prioritizing cable television, DVDs, and other forms of old media that are still existing today. He also said that some projects created by Warner Bros will still go ahead but be distributed on other platforms like Hulu, Vudu, iTunes just to name a few. So It'd just be similar to how the Animaniacs show is at the moment.

As we've seen with a lot of streaming services there is a lot of quantity instead of quality. There are WAY too many shows for viewers to watch and that can lead to series being pulled from a service or being canceled. Netflix has seen this a lot this year. Even some of the Pokémon content that they used to have has been removed in the past few months. And so Zaslav wants to make sure that the company isn't paying too much to create. This unfortunately has lead to some animated shows being pulled from the service but this is probably due to low viewership and in the end consumers have to WATCH these shows if they want them to stay on the service. Not only that but economists are predicting that we will have a rescission again and we don't really know how this will affect the tv industry in the short term and so not spending too much money isn't a bad idea

Going back to the debt crisis that WB has. This is not the first time a company has gone through this and this is certainly not the last time. I've followed the gaming industry for the longest time and there have been similar situations like this in the past. In the mid 2000s a lot of Japanese gaming companies merged due to them acquiring a lot of debt. Ex: Sega and Sammy, and then Konami and Hudson. Obviously there were games that had to be canceled but over time both companies were able to get their act together. Heck even now it seems like Mao Mao, Infinity Train, etc are starting to appear again on iTunes from what I’ve seen. Now onto my last point. I believe Zaslav is the necessary evil that CN and Warner Bros Animation might need. All of us have to be honest in the sense that CN has struggled to stay relevant after Stu Snyder left the company. Ever since he left we’ve lost some anime, Action shows, and diverse schedules , new shows, and many other things just to name a few. CN needs someone that can make them RELEVANT again and the things they’ve been trying out for the past eight years have just not been working. And I’m open to having someone new and trying something. Another example I’m gonna put out is Nintendo. As we saw Nintendo was struggling to stay relevant in the console Home Market between the midpoint of the 2010s. The company started to really change once Iwata passed away(rest in peace). Since that Nintendo has been a bit more “ruthless” in their business practices. With hiring Kimishima (a employee in the bank industry) and currently Furukawa as well. However, that ruthlessness has brought them so much success with the Switch and Nintendo is relevant again. The same thing has to be said about CN. Yeah some people might be upset in the short term. However, in the long term this could work. I just want CN to be the home of diverse animated projects, movies, acquired content and etc.

Please no hate this is how I've been thinking about the current situation with CN these past few days. Please let me know what you guys think

I know a lot of us have been very quick to paint Zaslav as the bad guy in this situation (I definitely have, largely because as an artist I hate the thought of an artist's hard work getting canned just to save some bucks, especially at the hands of a reality TV guy who's responsible for bringing the likes of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras onto the world; some of what I've been reading about his...ideological leanings haven't warmed him up to myself or a lot of other people either, but that leans dangerously close to the 'no discussing politics' rule here so I'll just leave it at that), but the truth is that like him or hate him, Zaslav is in an unenviable position right now; AT&T grossly mismanaged Warner Bros. and put the studio deep in the red, so Zaslav has basically inherited a huge mess that he now has to clean. While Zaslav and his particular ilk of programming aren't my cup of tea, I have to concede that what HBO Max, CN and other services have been doing of late hasn't been completely successful and perhaps the industry is changing or needs to be approached differently.

Zaslav and WBD have recently been backpedaling their previous press releases, now saying that there's still a chance, albeit a small one, that some of these canceled projects may indeed see the light of day at some point; it could just be a case of Zaslav playing CYA after all the bad PR his initial stunt has generated, but HBO Max isn't the only service suffering especially when it comes to animation, so maybe, just maybe, this guy isn't the archenemy of animation that we originally branded him as.

In the end, I just want Warner Bros. and Cartoon Network to be in good hands again, to become popular again and continue to be the fun, creative, diverse and imaginative studio/network that I've admired for much of my life. I don't know if David Zaslav is Warner Bros.' savior, but if he really can put WB back in the black, I'll give credit where credit is due. As long as the WB Animation properties and Cartoon Network are treated with respect and have a decent home where they can receive lots of eyeballs and earn their parent company a substantial profit, then I'll back off any criticism I have of Zaslav and Discovery.

Well said, and no hate either. :)

Even though I'm not supporting WBD and Zaslav due to their gross tactics, I can understand you guys' perspectives and brought up some good points.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.

We've been in a recession (on the verge of becoming a depression!) since January of this exact year, to state honest & overall unfortunate FACTS & TRUTH.
The loss of jobs, cuts to entertainment media in general, and overall just mostly bad business decisions like these being discussed here (with WBD, specifically.) are living proof of this. In a stable economic time, we wouldn't be seeing most of any of this bad stuff happening, not just here, but nationwide in general, when it comes to normal people holding onto and working normal jobs.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
We've been in a recession (on the verge of becoming a depression!) since January of this exact year, to state honest & overall unfortunate FACTS & TRUTH.
The loss of jobs, cuts to entertainment media in general, and overall just mostly bad business decisions like these being discussed here (with WBD, specifically.) are living proof of this. In a stable economic time, we wouldn't be seeing most of any of this bad stuff happening, not just here, but nationwide in general, when it comes to normal people holding onto and working normal jobs.
Man, we're not in a recession. The unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in like 50 years.

I don't want to talk politics and break the rules. But you keep bringing them up via untrue statements. I can't let them slide either.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

cartoonnetworkpoke

Yeah like I said in a previous post Western Animation has definitely taken a hit in recent years. I honestly prefer the old style of how it use to be on cable. And this is why Zaslav's statement raises my eyebrows in the sense that he wants to make sure that they produce content that can give them a good return on investment. We all know that back in the day tv shows were to used to advertise merch and toys. Maybe that could lead CN going back to making and acquiring multiple action shows like they used to when Stu Snyder was at the helm. I mean for a long time we had Ben 10 series, Pokémon, Generator Rex, Beyblade, Bakugan. Young Justice, Batman Brave and the Bold, Secret Saturdays, Ninjago, Thundercats, Sym Biotic Titian, Star Wars the Clone Wars, Redakai Conquer the Kairu, and The Green Lantern Show. We already know a new Batman and Superman series is coming next year. Plus we have the new show from Genndy and Iyanu. So maybe a revival of action shows again? And that could probably lead to them getting anime again in the sense that all these shows feel very similar in plot and style as well. I know Jason De Marco did discuss how they are trying to bring anime back to Cartoon Network again. And yeah I know the reality tv shows aren't for everyone. I mean my folks and I do watch a lot of the stuff that discovery already produces and so I guess I'm already a "fan" of their properties already haha

Last edited:

cartoonnetworkpoke

Who can imagine the life without Cartoon Network? Not only that, but CN is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
Yeah that would be terrible but CN does need to FIX alot of their problems they've been having since Stu Sydner left so let's just see what Zaslav does. And to be fair the new Cartoon Network president has been doing well to be fair so there is some hope.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Which one? Tom Aschiem or Michael Oweleen?
Michael Oweleen. In the past few months I feel like he's done the best he can. The schedule has been a bit better and plus he's greenlit some shows that look pretty interesting. Michael Oweleen or Tom Aschiem would've been better candidates to replace Stu Snyder back in 2014. There's a good chance that things could be way different right now if Miller didn't become president.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Michael Oweleen. In the past few months I feel like he's done the best he can. The schedule has been a bit better and plus he's greenlit some shows that look pretty interesting. Michael Oweleen or Tom Aschiem would've been better candidates to replace Stu Snyder back in 2014. There's a good chance that things could be way different right now if Miller didn't become president.
Ah, okay. I understand.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I think that Warner Bros. Discovery needs to re-hire Tom Ascheim. At least he had a vision for Cartoon Network and things seemed to be looking pretty good for CN before the WB/Discovery merger happened.

Cartoon Network will undoubtedly survive this. WB owns too many profitable IPs to simply go under, but CN needs someone at the helm who has an actual game plan in mind for the channel. The next year or so may be a rocky road for CN, but the channel will live on. CN survived the Stuart Snyder era; it can survive this.

Last edited:

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
I think that Warner Bros. Discovery needs to re-hire Tom Ascheim. At least he had a vision for Cartoon Network and things seemed to be looking pretty good for CN before the WB/Discovery merger happened.
I agree. Whatever you guys like Tom Aschiem's vision or not, at least he HAD a direction for Cartoon Network, something we needed for a LONG time, yet Zaslav got rid of him. So unforgivable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts