"Justice League Infinity (2021 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Justice League Infinity, Season One - Rate and Discuss this DC Comics series!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Otaku-sempai

No need as I did nothing wrong. This thread has "Spoilers" in the title, so, obviously, expect spoiler conversation. I never enter these threads until I've read the comic, watched the episode, etc because - once again - these threads have spoiler warnings right there in the title. You spoil something for yourself in this thread and well that's on you. Spoilers are allowed here. Not the same on social media and Twitter when images are just posted with no warning. Nice try but not the same.
Fair enough! I concede the point.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #4

Preview pages available at The World's Finest!

Written by: J.M. DeMatteis and James Tucker
Art by: Ethen Beavers

The Story: After being whisked across the Multiverse, Wonder Woman finds herself trapped on a desolate and barren planet with the last person she'd ever expect to find: DARKSEID! What does the former ruler of Apokolips want with the Amazonian warrior? And what lurks in the shadows of this devastated world?

Print/Digital Release: Oct. 5, 2021
Price: $3.99US

Talk all about Justice League Infinity right here at The World's Finest!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As I thought, cover was an AU Darkseid and AU Wonder Woman who fell in love but the former couldn't stop his quest. And his Apokolips and universe paid the price.

And I think we now know what the voice and Big Bad of this series is, the Anti-Life Creature. And Wonder Woman and her bracelets can counter it. Love the callback to Paradise Lost and The Balance, making it all come full circle.

That ending! I suspect like this issue, next issue will be pretty standalone and be Superman briefing us and Diana -- and conclude the Earth-X arc. Superman, Superman-D, and the Freedom Fighters take on the Earth-X Vandal Savage and find out he's working on a dimensional portal device and that's how they found Wonder Woman. Then in the final issues, we'll see an Anti-Life possessed Amazo.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Another strong installment. This series continues to humanize people that don't even deserve it, from Overman, to the Earth-X mobs, and now a version of Darkseid that fell in love with Wonder Woman. Of course, he fell to his vices and unleashed the Anti-Life equation, which destroyed his world. It's a compelling story that actually makes the goofy conceit of Super Friends work.

Of course, Diana is the actual protagonist, who struggles with her identity and has her sympathy tested by this version of Darkseid and later, the Anti-Life itself. It's great to see her take the lead in a story, even if I admittedly never cared about Hades's connection to her. A good way to have an issue-long arc while also serving the larger story arc.

Ethen Beavers and Nick Filardi do a phenomenal work with the art and coloring, respectively. Some great pages in this issue, including Darkseid's tale and his use of his Omega Beams against the Anti-Life creature.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #5

The Story: Superman, trapped on Earth-X, teams up with the Freedom Fighters to help them liberate the world from Vandal Savage's control. Thanks to the added power of the newly arrived Superman-D, the Freedom Fighters might just have what it takes to break into Savage's stronghold. But what secrets has the immortal tyrant hidden within its walls?

Print/Digital Release: Nov. 2, 2021

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Adventures Continue - Season Two (2021 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series) Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So some of the Earth-D heroes have some really tragic backstories. Huhn, and Kal doesn't know about heat vision until he saw Superman do it.

Didn't expect Savage-X to be an old man...given he looked ageless in "Hereafter". Guess that was a result of the new powers he gained from the white dwarf matter he stole. That was a trip that the Oracle turned out to be the Earth-X J'onn J'onzz. Good twist.

J'onn-X was likely alluding to Wonder Woman having the Life Equation? Or perhaps Superman and Wonder Woman-D will be it.

lol, Diana sidestepping Kal and Unatti being married.

Great penultimate tease in the last page. I guess that hand is Overman's since everyone else is accounted for.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm continuously impressed by this series and how much characterization and dynamics it fits in just one issue, from Diana's mourning of Darkseid and Clark and Kal's pondering about people weaker than them to creating characterizations for two different versions of J'onn and establishing backstories for Earth-D and Earth-X characters. I guess the only present action is the group finding the Javelin's location at the end, but the flashback was interesting.

Poor Earth-X J'onn who died just as soon as he finally gained freedom from Savage. I guess he's supposed to represent what could've happened to regular J'onn without his connections to humanity that our J'onn tried to maintain. I was also fascinated by how different Earth-D's history, and how it still had conflicts like the civil war that turned Unatti into a more hardened person. Also, some confirmation that Earth-X Metallo is Natasha Irons, which some guessed before then.

Good stuff, and we still have two more issues to go. I'm excited.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Poor Earth-X J'onn who died just as soon as he finally gained freedom from Savage.
I just realized, whether intended by Tucker and DeMatteis or not, how cruel that the J'onn J'onzz of Earth-X suffered a similar fate as J'onn did in "Secret Origins" and "The Savage Time," but more so like the latter - caught by Nazis led by Savage, imprisoned in a fortress, and tortured. Except he never escaped or had allies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #6

The Story: Both Justice Leagues arrive at the nexus of all realities, the Mirrored Room. Though they had hoped to find their old friend Amazo, what the League finds left behind in the ruins of the shattered mirrors is a far cry from the sentient android!

Print/Digital Release: Dec. 7, 2021

Related Discussion:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That's about as darkest before dawn as you can get.

Darkfather? :p

Ah, so that's who the big bad is. An AU Amazo merged with the Anti-Life Equation. That's just about the most unbeatable opponent the JLU has come upon. Let's hope the key to the Life Equation will be enough.

GL's moment of horror. Oh, the tears!!! And Vixen seeing it.

Please don't tell me that Amazo got killed off...

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
First half of the issue is Amazo II, the main villain, essentially filling in the heroes (and the reader) on his origin. I can understand why it can be a bit exhausting after the previous issue's extended flashback, but it is necessary information for our final antagonist. Just wish his informaion was conveyed in a more organic manner. We even get another version of Darkseid, who resembles Highfather somewhat. Neat to see the Anti-Life's involvement in Amazo II, who does his best Ultron impression.

Second half is more of a big brawl, where Overman goes berserk and tries to get revenge on the heroes, even if it means he'll die too. I'm glad they didn't try to redeem him and Superman-D punching him was satisfying. Hawkgirl losing her wings was honestly the moment that tipped me off that it wasn't real or something was up. I am curious if we'll get Vixen breaking up with John after all this. A pretty big development to do in a sequel comic.

Called it on Earth-D Batman being disabled. I had a feeling since he never left his Whirly-Bat and it resembled a helicopter/wheelchair, but the design in the comics was similar, so I didn't think it further. Batman had a version of The Killing Joke happen to him, but I guess Terrance is a nod to Terry?

I liked that both J'onns where the ones who figured out that Amazo II trapped everyone in an illusion because he bothered to actually fight them despite his power. I can see J'onn and Diana being the ones who save the day.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I am curious if we'll get Vixen breaking up with John after all this. A pretty big development to do in a sequel comic.

I can see J'onn and Diana being the ones who save the day.
I think John will be a factor, too. The mind battle happens to end of him coming to the realization he never stopped loving Shayera might be a two pronged sword: to continue to that love triangle arc but also perhaps feed into this Life Equation that the AU Darkseid discovered.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The finale to season one is here! Co-written by Justice League Unlimited producer James Tucker and series writer J.M. DeMatteis with art by Ethen Beavers, Justice League Infinity stars all of the fan-favorite characters from the revered series banding together to face new dangers that not only threaten Earth, but the multiverse itself!

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #7

The Story: The entity released from the Mirrored Room has accomplished its goal and is erasing the Multiverse and all of existence once and for all. In a last-ditch effort, using all his willpower, John Stewart saves what friends he can. Trapped in a construct bubble, the team works to formulate a plan of action, but is it too late? Is this the end of the Justice League?

Print/Digital Release: Jan. 4, 2021

Related Discussion:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, DeMatteis and Tucker threw in a lot of things I didn't think would happen like what Batman was admitting to in his narration but it was pretty great conclusion. Really hope they get another run like BTAC did.

Didn't expect them to rekindle the Batman-Wonder Woman romance. For a second there, I thought it was going to be similar to the ending of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and everyone joining hands.

Neat, had a feeling J'onn would formally rejoin the Justice League (and explains why he was part of the away mission mentioned in JL vs. FF) but did not see him deciding to take on the position of ambassador much less mediating the Apokoliptian civil war. Total turn around from his stance in "The Ties That Bind," heh.

And that looks like they revealed to us when Vixen broke up with GL. Always had a feeling it would that way and not the other way around.

Interesting, Amazo managed to survive and will now traverse the universe with a purged Amazo II. He just needed a brother to feel complete and it almost cost the whole multiverse to find that out. :p

Was also surprised to see Overman visiting Lois's grave and making his heartfelt confession and going along with being tried in court. Guess the telepathic brain zap did help him in the end... lol.

So Grodd survived being ejected into space I guess...

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Well, that was a very satisfying conclusion. Amazo II's defeat might seem anticlimatic for a bit, but I liked that they made room for a more fleshed out conclusion. I liked how everyone inside Green Lantern's bubble contributed to restoring the multiverse, even if I kind of rolled my eyes at Batman and Wonder Woman holding hands. It feels surreal to see DCAU characters actually acknowledging the Speed Force. Did they ever do that in JLU after Flash's return?

I had a feeling J'onn would be returning to the League, but his new position is cool and feels like a natural progression of his character. I also liked that he didn't abandon his life right before the story arc started. I'm glad Vixen was the one who took the initiative and broke up with John. Much better solution to that story unlike a certain other comic. The final meeting between the JL and the JA was nice, but I find it funny that Batman-D has done nothing but hover around in the background.

I was not expecting them to actually show a remorseful Overman, but I also completely forgot about all the mental manipulation Savage pulled on him. Still, he's choosing to surrender and face trial for his crimes. The final scene at Wally's party was a good way to book-end things, even if I'll never get used to DCAU Blue Beetle. I suppose Grodd survived his fate in JLU, but how?

Overall, this was a fun series with tight writing and great art. I hope we get a second season to it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
but I find it funny that Batman-D has done nothing but hover around in the background.
He fired a missile once. :p

I suppose Grodd survived his fate in JLU, but how?
Maybe Lightray wasn't the only New God that checked in on the explosion of the base and Grodd escaped certain death by Boom Tube.

EDIT: That last shot of Overman was an homage to the end of "Apokolips...Now!" Part 2.
FIVXEeGVEAA5Lu8.jpg

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Justice League Infinity 3 "The Mirror Crack'd, Part Three"

That Darkseid ending was just great. I love this series so far. It's everything Batman: The Adventures Continue was supposed to be but isn't. It's awesome. ****.

Justice League Infinity 4 "The Mirror Crack'd, Part Four"

It's interesting, Diana and Darkseid didn't have much to do with each other on either of the DC Animated Universe Justice League series. But Darkseid being romantically obsessed with her was a major component of a later season of Superfriends. It's an interesting idea for a DCAU-related project to sort of explore it a little.

I like this issue because it suggests that under the right circumstances, even somebody like Darkseid can be redeemed. Maybe not through his actions. But through his regrets and pain. And I found sympathy for the character for the first time. Better yet, I understood why he did the crazy seeming things he did better, which is great characterization.

I don't exactly think this comic book is as great as Justice League or Justice League Unlimited. But I feel like it is in the spirit of them, and would not object to an animated adaptation. It's doing far more right by Justice League Unlimited than Batman: The Adventures Continue is doing by Batman: The Animated Series. I am very impressed. *****.

Justice League Infinity 5 "The Mirror Crack'd, Part Five"

Honestly, I had a hard time keeping a lot of that straight. But there was still stuff I loved.

I loved that it's declared alternate Darkseid died a hero and that Diana openly wept for him. Superman calling the alternate universe versions of Doomsday, Zod, and Metallo the best of the best was strangely rewarding too.

I don't buy the explanation about Savage though. It must be just how his Universe's version works. The secretly aging stuff doesn't play with what we've seen in Our Universe.

Interesting, confusing, and a little bit fun. ***1/2.

Justice League Infinity 6 "The Mirror Crack'd, Part Six"

Too dark and depressing and outside of the tone of the Justice League Unlimited I know and love. Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but in technical terms, the issue was hard to read. The order in which to read the given panels and word balloons was not clear, and shockingly the words themselves offered little help. I greatly disliked this issue for all those reasons and a few more. *1/2.

Justice League Infinity 7 "The Mirror Crack'd, Part Seven"

This turned things around. The ending with Diana and Batman holding hands in the Kumbaya moment with the Life Equation may have been cheesy, but Amazo redeeming his counterpart at the end was not. I really like that James Tucker has stuck to the moral that OUR Amazo is a good guy. He's not in any other continuity but the Timmverse. But I like Tucker making sure to keep that delicate balance between Amazo being dangerous and Amazo still having good and understandable intentions.

Speaking of Diana, I love that that other Universe's Darkseid held the key to the Multiverse's salvation. He knew he couldn't use the Life Equation himself so he gave it to the woman he loved. I love that.

Lois is at the Watchtower which is a big clue she knows Superman's secret. I wish they'd come out and have her call Superman Clark. This suspense is killing me.

Batman saying he felt in over his head in the Justice League feels wrong, but I have to admit it sheds new light on the scene in Injustice For All where J'onn is being the cringiest drip possible and condescendingly telling Batman he's a vital member of the team even though he has no "special powers". The reason that pissed Batman off so much at the time wasn't just because it was insufferable. It's because that fear was true. And whether I agree with giving Batman that specific hang-up or not, I encourage and like any new development in an old property that fits the old canon well enough while also perhaps shedding new light on it. Good for this issue.

Mari dumps John for obvious reasons. Maybe he and Shayera can finally move forward again. Rex Stewart demands it.

Notice that James Tucker can break up John and Mari without killing off the black woman to make John and Shayera's ship easier. Have I mentioned the Batman Beyond comic was contemptible? Because it was.

I like that Overman, as regretful as he is, still must answer for his crimes. It's a true repentance, but that's as far as it goes. He can't actually be redeemed, or at least not only by apologizing.

My opinions on this title are all over the map. I liked some of it (and generally speaking I like it more than Batman: The Adventures Continue). But I feel it was too dark in places, and that the crisis was too dire to actually enjoy. If the next seven issues are about the League taking down Grodd and his gorilla army I'll be much happier. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
7/5: Just a note that the trade paperback/hardcover/whatever collection is now on sale starting today.

7/11: Okay, so in terms of new content, at the end of the trade paperback (yes, Amazon is wrong, it's a TPB not a hardcover), there's a 'From the Sketchbook of Ethen Beavers' section. There's designs+notes for Brainiac of Earth-X, Anti-Amazo, Darkfather, and Infinity-1 Javelin and 5 inks to colored selections like Flash running to the Metrotower and the final shot of the JL leaving for D.C. to fight Grodd.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts