Marvel Animation at the D23 Expo 2019

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
We're one week away from this year's big D23 Expo, so it is time for a new thread about this event. It was hinted there would be announcements in regards to new Marvel Animation projects here. Looking back at the last D23 Expo from 2017, it is possible we'll get a quite a few news this year as well. Here are the current events listed that are related to the Marvel Animation side of things (the first panel doesn't mention animation specifically, but there might be animation-related updates about the Disney+ service).
On Friday (08/23) afternoon at 3:30 p.m., the highly anticipated streaming service Disney+ will give guests a first look at some of its original content including Lady and the Tramp, The Mandalorian, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, and many more during this star-studded presentation.
Marvel Animation’s Venom Invasion and a World Premiere!
Friday, August 23, 6 – 7 p.m. PT, Stage 28
Join Marvel Animation for an exciting panel full of sneak peeks, special guests, and big announcements, including scoop on fan-favorite series Marvel’s Spider-Man and the world premiere of the new Marvel Rising special Battle of the Bands!
Sunday, August 25
9 a.m. — Big Hero 6 The Series stars Genesis Rodriguez and Brooks Whelan

Sources: D23 Expo 06/06, Hollywood Life 06/18, D23 Expo 07/23,

Until the Expo starts, feel free to discuss, add your hopes or predictions about what might be announced here. Once the event begins, please use this thread or any of the News & Discussion threads for the current Marvel projects, to post any of the news revealed at D23. (The news relevant to the Marvel shows will still be added to their respective News & Discussion threads afterwards, if only to have the topics more complete and up to date in regards to upcoming stuff.)

Also, if somehow any completely new projects are announced, expect new threads to be posted shortly afterwards on this very forum. (NOTE: All new, original animated series made for Disney+ and Hulu should be covered in their respective topics, "Marvel Animation on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion and "Marvel Animation on Hulu" General News & Discussion).

Frontier

Staff member
I feel like this panel for Marvel Animation is going to be a big deal, if only because we'll finally be seeing major new stuff with them talking about the new season of Marvel's Spider-Man and the next Marvel Rising special, as well as what is actually next for the brand with the ending of all of the other cartoons.

They've been teasing a possible new cartoon based on Fox properties, and we haven't heard about Moon Girl in forever, so this would be the ideal time to announce something.

As far as Disney+, I expect concept art or a promo poster for What If. Maybe a teaser.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I kind of doubt that will be the case. I imagine everything from D23 will be covered by various sites seeing how big of an event it is in regards to Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Also unlike Comic-Cons I don't think there would be any panels taking place at the same time which might prevent people from covering the animation panel. But we'll see.

TheLemsterPju

I kind of doubt that will be the case. I imagine everything from D23 will be covered by various sites seeing how big of an event it is in regards to Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Also unlike Comic-Cons I don't think there would be any panels taking place at the same time which might prevent people from covering the animation panel. But we'll see.

I was joking, but okay.

Frontier

Staff member
They also covered the latest SDCC Marvel Animation panel, so I don't think whatever's there will go uncovered this time around compared to past panels.

Especially since it's looking like there will be some actual, major, news this go around.

Frontier

Staff member
If Moon Girl doesn't get mentioned this weekend, I'll just assume that it's been secretly canned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You'd think something with Laurence Fishburne producing would get more traction, but I guess maybe he focused more of his efforts on playing Goliath :sweat:.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
You'd think something with Laurence Fishburne producing would get more traction, but I guess maybe he focused more of his efforts on playing Goliath :sweat:.
I remember Chris Prynowski from Titmouse saying that he couldn't really discuss it since Disney would have to be in control of any word that got out about the series. It feels weird that they would make the big announcement if they weren't mostly sure that they were going forward with the series but I can't say that I haven't seen them do things like this before.

TheLemsterPju

New Sites: "So most of you will have to cover the Disney+ panel."
Writers: "Sweet!"
New Sites: "But we're also looking for someone to cover the Marvel Animation pan-"
Writers:
giphy.gif

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Interesting approach for "Maximum Venom". That equals to around 12 normal episodes, so about half of a normal season. I wonder if that's all, or there will be another arc and new title for the latter half.

Frontier

Staff member
Interesting approach for "Maximum Venom". That equals to around 12 normal episodes, so about half of a normal season. I wonder if that's all, or there will be another arc and new title for the latter half.
It would fit with that animation website reporting that Marvel Animation was working on some Spider-Man specials.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
What can a fella do to make sure Firestar and Iceman get some love?

Six hourlong specials makes me think that the approach would be more like Marvel Rising than a traditional season of television like the last two seasons. This definitely fits with Animation Guild's description of Spider-Man specials.

All I'm hoping for is a better looking product. I wouldn't be mad to find out The Answer Studio is handling the character animation.

ZackSmith1

Honestly, I am quite disappointed because I thought a cartoon based on one of the former Fox Marvel properties was going to be announced especially X-Men. Hopefully they will really announce one in the future.

Frontier

Staff member
I have to admit, I am disappointed.

It's like Marvel put all their effort into announcing their Disney+/MCU slate and Marvel Animation didn't think they could stack up so they didn't even try.

Maybe I just hyped myself up too much, hoping for a big presentation from Marvel Animation that turns things around or leaves as big of an impression as the Disney+ panel did, but it just feels like more of the same (which isn't much at the moment anyways).

And the panel got virtually zero coverage, almost as if news outlets knew there wasn't going to be much to talk about at the panel, which has unfortunately been a problem with Marvel Animation over the last few years.

Even Marvel's Agent M didn't cover the panel at all, which makes me question Disney/Marvel's own value of their Marvel Animation department, especially with the layoffs and lack of anything new (beyond, I guess, a Disney Junior series).

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts